Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Like You ❯ A Corney-As-Hell Wish on a Star ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Basically, Yami wants to be a normal person, like Yugi and his friends. In order to get what he wants, he really has to think-- Is being alive again really worth being seperated from his aibou?

Please excuse typos, misspellings, that type of thing. ^_^ contrary to popular belief, I am NOT perfect.

Note:This is in Yami's point-of-view.

~~~*~~~

Another day has gone by, and another night when Yugi comes home with his friends with a rented movie or video game, or plans for somewhere else, they're just here to grab a jacket or tell Grandpa where Yugi and myself are.

I don't really know if I count.

But that's okay. I'm just the bodyguard. I'm just here to make sure Yugi doesn't end up spending all his money on pot. He's a good kid, but a little naive.

He's asleep now. I miss sleeping. It's not like I can't, but not like I could before. I can't have all the dreams Yugi has, and I can't wake up restored.

I wish I could.

Yugi is always telling me that life really sucks sometimes. Like, he's short. So his life is unbearable because he's short. I try not to get angry at him when he says things like this, because he's just an adolecent, and it's perfectly normal for him to feel that life isn't fair because he's short.

When I was his age, I didn't have time to worry about my height, from all I can remember right now. I was too busy being a Pharoah.

Yeah, I was married twice before I was sealed in the puzzle. I think.

I think I should be the one complaining. I mean, I wake up one day to some kid who's afraid of me, and not able to remember anything from where I was from to my own given name. Sure, things started to come back to me, but it wasn't much.

I don't know if I'm jealous of Yugi or not. It would be very shameful if I was. Yugi is everything to me, he's my aibou. Why do I have to be jealous of him?

Why do I have to be jealous of his friends? They were always there, when I was dueling. Sure, they were cheering Yugi on, not me, but they didn't know. Now that they DO know, they acknowledge the fact that I'm here sometimes.

Sometimes.

So, now I'm just sounding pathetic. But, seriously, what am I soppsoed to do for the estimated six-and-a-half hours that Yugi is asleep? Just sit here and daydream? Don't get me wrong, spacing out is all good and well. I happen to enjoy it. But it gets old after you keep thinking of youself at Hot Topic with enough Yen to buy out the whole store.

Now THAT would make me happy. But I'm sure PETA would have a heart attack if they saw all the leather I'd have....

So, anyway, here I am, musing myself. Waiting for something to happen. Maybe I could look at the stars? Nah, to many city lights.

....Hell, it's worth a try.

Ah, I can see The Big Dipper. And there's some star that I conveniently cannot remember the name of right now.

I remember Yugi telling me that if you make a wish on a star, it'll come true. Or maybe that was on a Disney movie. I dunno, it's hard to tell Yugi's cutesy sayings and Disney products apart.

Well, it's worth a shot, no? Besides, if anyone hears me, I can just crush their feeble minds. That always cheers me up.

Okay, so how does this go? Oh yes. "Star light, star bright..." I feel like such an idiot. This is so out of character for me. "Make my wish come true tonight." God!This is so schmaltzy, I think it HURTS. "I wish I was alive again."

So, nobody heard me, because I don't hear any hysterical luaghing or ideas for blackmail.

Well, I don't think I feel any different. Maybe this takes time. I mean, that star is pretty far off, and maybe alot of hopeless people like myself, although I don't really count as a person, more than likely wished on that star, so it's probably busy right now.

That's okay, I can wait. I hope that doesn't turn out to be irony, because me and irony don't get along very well.

~*~

Well, it's been all night, and nothing's happened. Go figure. Damn you, irony, I'm getting impatient.

Well, Yugi got up early today to watch some television show, and he asked me if I would like to join him. I told him no, I have plans.

He gave me a really strange look. Like me having plans that don't involve him is strange and insulting.

The truth of the matter is, I DON'T have plans. I just don't want to watch television. When he asked me what my plans were, I said I was going for a walk and maybe stopping at a store or two.

So now I'm taking a walk around Domino, feeling bad for lying, and really pissed off that I don't have any money.

Maybe I could find Jounouchi at the arcade and 'borrow' some money. Then I could say it was Yugi. That'd be fun.

....Mmmm, no, I don't think I'll pull any childish pranks on Yugi today. It might mess up my karma for the slim-to-none chance that my corney scene last night does not go in vain.

Yes, yes, good karma. Very good karma--

Tripped. Okay, I look stupid, tripping. People are staring and it's...unnerving. I might just crush their minds....Karma, yes, keep it up, just dust it off and keep walking....

Right. So, I've been walking for about an hour now, Yugi must be done watching television by now. I hope. I really do. I mean, last Saturday, I had to sit through five hours of Hamtaro. And it was fun at first, but now whenever I see cute little hamsters, I think of it being engulfed in flames and squeaking for the life of it.

Oh, that would be SO much fun. But I'm thinking like Ryou's yami, I better stop.

Wait...I felt something. Holy shit! I'm in the Shadow Realm, of all places...Yes, you'd be a bit startled too.

Who's that? Someone is walking this way. Probably some lost, wondering soul. Ha, I'd point and luagh if I wasn't trying to keep a good balance today.

Well, shoot, it's not a lost, wondering soul. I don't know who it is, but it's female, I know that...Can't really miss those things, can you? Nope.

She stopped right infront of me. "Your wish was heard." YES! I do have good karma! "You want to live again." she says. Well, sure, that might work."Yes, I do. How do you know about this, and why am I in the Shadow Realm?"

I love acting superior.

"My name is not important. You are here to be trailed." What? Okay, she lost me. I think I was staring at a certain female feature. Hey, I may be some-what dead, but come ON. The only formadable girl I've met in a few millenia is Anzu.

"Do you know the consequences of getting what you wish for?" Damnit, there's always a consequence. "No, I am not aware." She smiles at me. "You may have your wish. But you must give up your Puzzle, your title of Pharoah, and Yugi."

Ouch.

Give up Yugi? "What do you mean, give up Yugi?" she's still smiling. Maybe she thinks she's being superior. Damn females."You must give up your connection with him." Well, that would be...kind of bad...I don't really know if Yugi would want this.

"You have two days to decide. When the forty-eight hours are up, I will bring you back here, and you will reveal your decision."

Okay. Two days. I have two days to tell Yugi. And two days to decide if I want to give all that up just to be alive again.

Do I really want to? Ah, I'll ask Yugi about it. Speaking of my height-impared aibou, look where I ended up. Right infront of the Game Shop.So conveiniant of the Shadow Realm to spare me the time and muscle-strain of walking all the way back. I'll have to send a thank-you letter.

"Yugi?Yugi!Are you still watching Hamtaro?" I gotta be careful, you know. Don't want to get sucked in. "No, Yami, we're playing Final Fantasy."

Shit. All his friends are here, then. Or at least one, he used a plural pronoun."Who's here?" I just walked through the door to the house-part of the shop, and there's Jounouchi. Damn that kid, I swear...

Yugi smiles at me and I sit down behind him on the couch. Jou is too absorbed in the game to give me any sort of greeting.

//Yugi...When you're not busy, I need to talk to you.//

/Um...Okay, Yami....I can just tell Jou--/

//No, that's not necassary, Yugi. You enjoy your mind-melting video game.//

/*luaghing*Okay, Yami./

Yeah. Now I have to sit here and watch them play Final Fantasy untill Jounouchi leaves. I hate being nice.

I guess it could be worse. They could be watching Hamtaro, you know.

I never noticed before, but there's a huge crack in the wall.

Thinking like a bored semi-person.

~*~

Jounouchi FINALLY left. He said he had to go because of something at home, dinner, I don't know, I was 'dozing off'. Now I get to talk to Yugi about what happened.

"So, what'd you want to talk about, Yami?" he sits down next to me. I feel really uncomfertable, and I have no idea why. Maybe because fate hates me. Yes, I think that's it. I seriously pissed fate off when I was alive, so now it's extracting it's revenge on me.

Damn you, fate. "Yugi, umm..." I don't know how to say this, so I've resorted to using deadwood."Have you ever wanted something really bad, but couldn't have it?"

There. We'll break it down from there. Yugi looks at me curiosly, like he's trying to figure out what I'm up to. "Yeah, Yami. Everyone has." he says. Then he waits for me to explain. "I see...What did you want?" I ask him. I had no idea this would be so hard.

Now he's thinking. He sits there for a few minutes, searching his mind for an answer. Finally, he finds what he's looking for. "I guess I want to be, you know, a bit taller."

Dammit, Yugi..."Oh." Now it's quiet. He looks at me with a knowing look. "What would you want, Yami?"

I have to look at him for a minute. Sweet little Yugi. I think he wants to be like me, I can feel it. I had heard him talking once, to his friends from school. He'd told them about a dream he'd had inwhich he came into my Soul room, ordered me to get out, and I had complied. And then he was me, and I was him.

After his violet eyes show impatience, I decide I should tell him. "I'd live again." There, got it out. It's like when one of Yugi's friends had to get a shot for something called Hepatitus B, they didn't want to because it would hurt, but Yugi told them it would only hurt for awhile.

He's searching me again. He's giving me a look that says 'Yami, I don't understand, please explain it to me.'

"What?" he prods, as if he'd heard wrong. Great, I have to say it again. I guess I'll let go of all embarassment, this is getting ridiculus. "Yugi, you and I both know that I am sopposed to be dead right now. I'm not sopposed to be sitting on your couch, or talking with you, or anything like that. But, in a way, I am. And, excuse me, but it really sucks."

I don't think I've ever said that alloud. 'it really sucks.' Yugi looked amused for a second, but now he's curious again. "Why does it suck?" he asks. I give him the rare smile and reply, "Because, it's like setting a glass of water just barely out of the reach of a man dying of thirst. It's like I'm almost alive again, like the time I spent in the puzzle was just a very long nap, and I woke up to another time period altogether."

Yugi nods, and I continue. "I could pretend as much as I wanted, but I could never be...be the same again."

Now he seems to undertand, because he scoots closer to me and leans against my shoulder. I decide to keep going, I'll get to the whole cheesy scene eventually...."But...do you remember telling me about wishing on stars?" He nods. "I tried it. I know it sounds desperate, and makes me look very out of character, but I tried it anyway. And now I ahve fortey-eight hours to decide if this is what I really want."

Yugi pulls away from me. "So, you could actually get what you want?" I nod. "Then why wait untill Monday morning?" he asks. It was, by the way, the first time I realized it was Saturday. I'm still getting used to new-age calendars and such. "Well, Yugi, there is a price." I admit. He gets uneasy, as if he already sees this coming. "I have to give up three things. The Millenium Puzzle, but it's not like I'm going to miss the damn thing."

Yugi luaghs, and I swear I saw the puzzle glow a little. I'm probably going crazy. "The second is my title as Pharoah, with won't really do me much good here." Yugi nods and presses me on. "The third...The third is our connection."

He doesn't look to happy. His face fell and he kind of slouched."Wow.What would that mean?"

I feel as if this has actually hit me just now. I mean, I knew it, but I hadn't quite registered it yet. "You won't be my aibou, I won't be your Yami."

~~~*~~~

Reviews would be nice!Don't you love this?I've never done a serious fanfiction in Yami's point of view. I also got a little help from my eh, boyfriend Orion, who told me when to use comic releif, and when to be serious. He's sopposed to be really good at that, but I won't believe him untill I get the reviews. He's such a liar, but I lvoe him anyways. ^_^