Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Looking Back in Retrospective ❯ Notes ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Notes

Notes will be updated with every chapter.

Time Period: About 1298 BC, at the end of the 18th Dynasty

Egypt in this Time
The founder of the 18th Dynasty, Ahmose I, liberated Egypt from the Hyksos and returned power to the hands of the Egyptians. It began an age of conquest and multi-culturalism that would bring Egypt much prosperity and wealth. In this period of time, Theban priests amassed alarming amounts of political power, enough to rival that of the Pharaohs. The peace was disrupted by Amenhotep IV, also known as Akhenaten, when he rebelled against the religious order of Thebes and established Aten as the single omnipotent god. Tutankhamun, the boy king, sought to restore the religion of Amun-Ra and Thebes. He was killed (most likely murdered) between the ages of 16 and 17. Ay, an advisor of Tutankhamun succeeded to the throne. Horemheb, the former First General, took the throne and he is attributed to have found the 19th Dynasty. Horemheb extended his reign so he would have succeeded Amenhotep III, trying to erase Akhenaten, Semenekhkare, Tutankhamun, and Ay from the records. The reign of Akunumkanon and Atemu Merysi were placed right after Horemheb but the records are lost in the sands of Time.


Phoenicia in this Time
Phoenicia was not a unified nation, but rather a collection of city states ruled by kings with a common Aegean ancestry. The lands that were considered Phoenician stretched from Spain to Lebanon and Syria. They were known for their craftsmanship and maritime merchantship. Phoenicia had begun to overcome centuries of domination by foreign power, such as the Egyptians and the Hyksos. This was the period of time when the Phoenicians were beginning in their power. They had also began to make commercial treaties with the Egyptians. They would cut down trees and ship cedar wood to the Nile. In return, the Phoenicians traded for gold and other luxuries.


Tyre
Source: en . wikipedia . org / wiki / Tyre "Tyre (meaning a rock) is an ancient Phoenician city in Lebanon on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, about 23 miles, in a direct line, north of Acre, and 20 south of Sidon. Sidon was the oldest Phoenician city, but Tyre had a longer and more illustrious history. The modern city is named Sur.

The commerce of the whole world was gathered into the warehouses of Tyre. "Tyrian merchants were the first who ventured to navigate the Mediterranean waters; and they founded their colonies on the coasts and neighbouring islands of the Aegean Sea, in Greece, on the northern coast of Africa, at Carthage and other places, in Sicily and Corsica, in Spain at Tartessus, and even beyond the pillars of Hercules at Gadeira (Cadiz)" (Driver's Isaiah). In the time of David a friendly alliance was entered into between the Hebrews and the Tyrians, who were long ruled over by their native kings."


Name Meanings
Jabari means "bravery"
Rehema means "compassionate"
Sefu means "sword"
Tepemkau Kheperpehtyra Menmaatra Atemu Merysi means "best of souls, eternal is the strength of Ra, eternal is the justice of Ra, the closer, beloved son"
Seti means "man of Set"
Bakari means "noble oath"
Ankhmose means "born of life"
Teremun means "loved by his father"
Jamila means "beauty"
Karis means "graceful"


Treatment of Slaves
Source: nefertiti . iwebland . com / timelines / topics / slavery . htm
"If the slaves were at the base of the Egyptian social pyramid, their lot was rarely as bad as that of slaves in other societies. As servants in a temple or in the household of a rich family it was often better than that of the "free" peasants, the serf-like meret and the sejdemash called up for the unloved corvée. Treating a slave well was a moral precept, but the very fact that decent treatment of slaves was a moral duty means that they must have been treated badly quite often. In the Book of the Dead two of the dead person's virtues recited in order to join the company of the gods among others like not having inflicted pain or not having committed murder are:

I have not domineered over slaves.
I have not vilified a slave to his master."

The negative confessions
Book of the Dead


The Five Great Names of the Pharaoh
Source: maatkare . com / horus . html
The five Great Names and the Royal Titulary is a formal set of names and titles held by each Pharaoh. These five names consist of:
1. The Horus name
2. The Two Ladies
3. Golden Falcon
4. The Prenomen
5. The Nomen
These five names are rarely used unless it is the coronation or other special occasions. The Prenomen and the Nomen make up the throne name. These two names are the ones most often used to identify the Pharaoh in everyday life.