Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Unexplainable ❯ New Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The year given to the Jikiros came and went much too quickly for their liking for they were unable to meet their needed requirements for the return of their the youngest son. Many tears were shed over the loss of their youngest son and they felt so ashamed of themselves they couldn't bring themselves to ever go see their little Yugi or tell Yami of his own twin brother. They could only hope they would be able to keep living with themselves the longer they went on hiding the truth. Luckily though they were able to prove themselves capable and met their requirements for keeping the eldest of their twins.
 
Years past on and guilt grew, but before anybody really realized it birthday candles were being lit with fifteen candles on white icing.
 
Yami took in a deep breath and blew all the candles out together, allowing his mother to pet his hair affectionately even when he continuously told her how much he hated it. He could make an exception on his birthday.
 
“Well done, Yami. I hope you remembered to make a wish,” she told him as she started to cut a slice of the cake with chocolate covered strawberries on top. She gave the first piece to her son.
 
“Yeah,” Yami grumbled, remembering his wish with a slight smirk. “I did. I wished that I didn't have to go to a different school where I'll know absolutely nobody at all.”
 
His mother frowned. “Don't worry, Yami. Everybody will be very nice, you'll see. Besides, you should be happy. We finally have enough of our expenses covered that we could move out of that filthy apartment we were living in and into a beautiful home of our own.”
 
“Our apartment wasn't filthy,” the red-eyed teen argued. “I've lived there my whole life and I liked it.”
 
His parents didn't argue either. The truth was that they actually moved out of the apartment at the first chance given to them because they blamed their neighbor, Mrs. Johnson, for the loss of their youngest. After their time limit of a year had ended they cut all contacts with the women who used to be their dearest friend and just couldn't find it in themselves to try and forgive her. Although, they also blamed themselves for being unable to prove capable of taking care of the younger twin.
 
“Well, maybe you'll be able to meet a nice boy at this school. You were always complaining about your other school and how all the boys there weren't anything close to what type you were looking for.”
 
Yami blushed and looked away from his mother to hide his embarrassment. He only grumbled out an incoherent reply and continued to stare at one of the walls.
 
Trying to lighten the mood, Mrs. Jikiro smiled and started talking about letting Yami open his gifts after they finished with the cake.
 
Just as promised they sat in their new living room, moving boxes piled around the perimeter of the room, with presents in a small pile in front of the couch. Yami sat on the beige furniture and took the small box his father handed to him.
 
It went on like that for a few minutes until they reached the last present. It was a movie he'd been wanting for the longest time: My Little Home. It was an interesting story about a family who stuck together no matter what and, even though it had a sad ending with the kids dying from a deadly disease, Yami loved it and wished he could have a family. He tried to tell himself over the years that he did have a family, but it wouldn't desert his mind that something was missing.
 
He stood from the couch and headed for the hall leading to his new bedroom, stopping just before turning the corner. “Mom, dad, you want to know what I really should've wished for?”
 
“What's that, sweetie,” His mother asked worriedly, afraid her son hadn't had a nice birthday.
 
“I should've wished for a sister or a brother. Then I wouldn't feel so alone. No matter how I try I can't help to think that something's missing. By the way, thank you for the gifts. I love all of them,” he started down the hall, carrying his new things.
 
When he was out of sight and the sound of Yami's door closing was heard, Mrs. Jikiro looked at her husband with a pained expression. “He doesn't even know about Yugi and he still feels something missing. I wish we could've gotten him back,” She cried into his chest. It might've been fifteen years since they last saw their youngest, but the pain of losing him never lessened and always grew.
 
“Me too, sweetheart, me too.” He held her closely, holding back his own tears while trying to be strong for his wife.
 
“Happy birthday, my sweet little Yugi. I wish we could be wherever you are right now to celebrate with you,” Mrs. Jikiro wept.
 
~~
 
“Blow out the candles and make a wish, Yugi,” Solomon Mouto laughed joyously.
 
Yugi nodded and took a big breath, thinking of a good wish. However, when he blew he missed a few candles and tried again. “That's not fair!” He cried. “They're trick candles, grandpa. I told you I don't like these!”
 
Solomon could only laugh at his grandson's adorable pouting face and motioned for him to keep trying. Finally, after five more tries, Yugi got his trick candles extinguished and he waited impatiently as his grandfather cut his chocolate covered strawberry with white icing cake; his favorite.
 
“Do I get to open my presents when we're done, grandpa,” he asked eagerly.
 
“Whenever you want, my grandson.”
 
“Yes,” he laughed happily. He looked over his shoulder at his father and mother's wedding picture behind him and a small smile came over his face. “It's like they'll always be looking over me now, now that they're in heaven. Right, grandpa?”
 
“That's right, Yugi. I'm sorry it had to be so close to your birthday though.”
 
“It's okay, I guess,” he stated sadly. “It couldn't really be helped.” He closed his eyes to think over what he'd been told at the hospital. His mother had been terribly sick and his father had caught it from hanging around her so much when she was most contagious. He missed them awfully, but he also knew that the doctors had tried all they could to save them but in the end their souls were lifted to the stars. “It was just their time to go.”
 
Just then the phone rang and Yugi ran over to answer it, thinking it was one of his friends calling to wish him happy birthday.
 
“Hello,” he called energetically into the phone.
 
“Hello, is Yugi Mouto there,” a deep voice asked. “This is his principal, Dai-Ichi.”
 
“Yes, this is he. Can I help you, Dai-Ichi Sensei?”
 
“Yes, you signed up to help new students around the school, correct.”
 
“That's right; the beginning of last year. Do you need me?”
 
“A student in your grade is transferring to our school and you seem like the perfect person to be able to show him around.”
 
“That's great. I'd be happy to show them around,” Yugi answered excitedly.
 
“Perfect, thank you, Yugi. Come to my office on Monday morning then.”
 
“Of course. Thank you very much.”
 
“Goodbye,” the phone clicked.
 
Yugi hung up the phone and hurried back to his grandpa. “A new student is coming to our school and I'm going to show him around on Monday.”
 
“That's good, Yugi,” Solomon smiled at his grandson. “Maybe you'll become good friends. You could even introduce them to your own friends too, make them feel welcome.”
 
“That's an awesome idea, grandpa.” He turned and headed for the stairs before he froze in place. “I forgot about my presents!” Yugi ran towards the living room and called impatiently for his grandpa so he could start opening them.
 
Solomon could only laugh at Yugi's innocent and childlike nature as he made his way into the living room.
 
~~
 
Yugi walked up to the school, excited about meeting the new student and seeing what they're like. He was so caught up in his thoughts of what the person would look like though that he didn't notice when he walked straight into someone else.
 
“Watch it, punk,” a husky voice growled as Yugi fell on the ground and straight onto his bottom. His backpack dumped on the ground and his notebooks scattered.
 
“Sorry about that. I was caught up in something and I - Seru,” Yugi gasped as he saw whom he'd run into. “I'm so sorry. It's my fault. I shouldn't have gotten in your way!” He panicked as he tried to back up while casually gathering his stuff at the same time.
 
Seru, the meanest school bully you could ever run into in your entire life sneered down at little Yugi with complete and utter disgust. “Yugi Motou, what an unpleasant surprise. I should thank you for saving me the trouble of coming to look for you. I told you I would pay you back for the suspension you gave me,” he growled.
 
“I had no doubt you would forget, Seru, but, please, I really must be…”
 
With no attention of hearing his pleas, Seru kicked Yugi into the ground and he and his gang of tasteless brutes laughed as he rolled right in a wall. “You're just running into everything today aren't you, shrimp,” he laughed, causing his cronies to also erupt in cruel chuckles behind him.
 
The bully leader walked over and picked Yugi up by the scruff of his shirt. “You should really pay attention to what you're doing,” Seru scoffed. The bully tossed Yugi onto the ground once more and kicked him so hard he rolled a few feet until he stopped at a pair of laced up boots.
 
“What's going on here,” a deep voice asked
 
This voice washed gently over Yugi as he lay at whoever spoke's feet. He didn't know why, but this voice seemed to calm him greatly and he wallowed in it, hoping with all his being this person would never stop talking. The aura and scent also coming off the person seemed so familiar to Yugi, a complete opposite to what people said about him, and yet so completely attracting to his very soul.
 
“How could you beat up such a poor guy,” Yami asked as he knelt beside the boy at his feet. “I'll teach you to mess with such innocent people.” He dashed forward and rammed headfirst against Seru's stomach, forcing him back.
 
After the pathetic excuse for a gang had left Yami walked back over to the boy still lying where he had left him and helped him up to his feet. He was surprised at their amazing similarities, but more worried about the boy's own health then their alike appearances. “Are you alright,” he asked. “Can you stand on your own?”
 
The most breathtaking amethyst orbs opened wearily and seemed to sparkle into his own crimson eyes. He was so captured by the intensity of the emotions within those jewel-like eyes he almost didn't take notice of the boy's nod.
 
“Yes, I'm fine.” He took a second to steady himself onto his feet and bowed his head in respect. “Thank you very much,” he told him in a quiet voice. “I'm Yugi Motou.”
 
“Don't worry about it,” he shook the offered hand. “I used to help people who got in trouble with bullies all the time, but they never said thank you so I stopped. It made me feel like they were so ungrateful towards me for helping them. Oh and by the way, my name's Yami Jikiro.”
 
“It's nice to meet you.” Yugi gasped and glanced down at his watch, his eyes widening in horror, “Oh Gods! I'm late!” He turned back to Yami, “I'm very sorry, but I'm late for something. I must go.” He started half-running half-limping down the walkway and disappeared into the school.
 
Poor guy; he's probably one of those people who don't have any friends, main target for jerks like those beating up on him, and almost always has his nose in a book and not worrying about his grades. A straight A student, I'll bet. He sure was cute though. Yami mused to himself as he picked up his bag and walked into the building. He had no intention of being around when more people would be arriving at the school, especially the girls. He always had the trouble of attracting them even though the feeling was never mutual.
 
~~
 
Yugi knocked on the principal's door urgently, praying he wouldn't be angry with him for being so late.
 
“Come in,” a voice called from inside.
 
“I'm very sorry, Dai-Ichi sensei. I ran into some trouble and I…” Yugi cut off when he didn't see anybody in the principal's office except the principal himself. Worry immediately spread through Yugi's being as the thought of someone else taking his job because he was late.
 
“Ah, Yugi, I was beginning to worry. I'm afraid the student you are to show around has yet to arrive. Take a seat and we'll wait together. My that's a rather large cut you have on you're cheek. What happened, my boy?”
 
A hand flew up and Yugi flinched when it stung on his face. Glancing at his hand he saw a small streak of blood on it and sighed. “I ran into some trouble with Seru again, sensei. That's why I'm late too, but thankfully somebody came just in time to stop him.”
 
“Well that's good. Why don't you stop at the nurse's office after your charge comes and get it cleaned up?”
 
“I will, sir. Thank you,” Yugi smiled, nearly jumping when a knock rapped on the door.
 
“That must be them now.” The principal smiled and called, “Come in.”
 
“Sir, I'm the new student. The lady at the front desk said to…” a crimson-eyed teen entered the room and his eyes fell on a familiar set of violet eyes. “Yugi?”
 
“You know each other,” the principal looked back and forth from the two.
 
“Uh, yes sir.” Yugi jumped up and looked at the older man, “He's the one who helped me with Seru. I told you that someone came just in time.”
 
“Ah, yes, so you did. Well then, thank you for taking the time. I'm afraid there aren't many people in the school who would take the time, especially new students.”
 
“Anytime, sir. I was happy to help,” Yami bowed politely, but kept his eyes on Yugi.
 
“Yes well, these are the books you'll be needing.” The principal stood and brought a few books onto the desk, “You're allowed to keep them at home, all teachers have their own class sets that students may use any time during school hours. And this is you're schedule. Is everything as you wanted?”
 
Yami looked over the piece of paper and nodded. “Yes, it is. Thank you, sir.” He turned to the slightly shorter teen, “Shall we take a tour, Yugi?”
 
Amethyst eyes blinked and Yugi nodded. “Sure. If you don't mind though, could we stop at the nurse's so I can get this cleaned out? I was afraid I was very late to this meeting and didn't want to stop there before.”
 
“That's no problem. I wouldn't want it to get infected on my behalf,” he chuckled, letting Yugi leave first.
 
~~
 
The two boys were walking down the deserted hallway of the school. The dismissal bell had already rung and the students long cleared out from the dreadful Monday school day, but Yami had requested one last walkthrough of the school to learn where everything was once more. Yugi had only been more than happy to help and had called his grandpa with his cell phone to tell him before lending it to Yami so he could call his own parents.
 
They were walking in silence however, Yami only speaking when he asked where a particular door led and Yugi only speaking to answer said question. Finally, Yami spoke and the question didn't have anything to do with the school. “Doesn't it freak you out?”
 
Yugi looked at the slightly taller one curiously. “About what,” he finally asked.
 
“How much the two of us look alike? Save for our eye color, height, and my own more blonde locks we could pass as identical twins. You have to admit that they aren't big differences at all,” the crimson eyed teen pointed out.
 
“I don't know,” Yugi answered after a moment of silence. “I didn't really pay attention to it all day I suppose. Now that you brought it up though I guess we do have many things in common.”
 
Somehow knowing the topic was making Yugi a bit uncomfortable, he chanced the subject of the conversation. “So your grandpa lives with your parents?”
 
“No.” Yugi answered quietly. “My parents died of a terrible disease. The doctors tried everything they could to save them but in the end they didn't make it. I moved in with my grandpa. He owns and lives in the game shop just a few blocks from here.”
 
“Cool, you live in a game shop? How does that all work out?”
 
“Simple really. The shop's on the bottom and then upstairs and on the second half of downstairs is the house.”
 
“That'd be nice to live in a place as unique as that.” Then a thought occurred to Yami. “Aren't you afraid you've got the disease that killed your parents too?”
 
Yugi shook his head and stared at the ground intently. “I'm…I'm adopted actually. I don't know what happened to my real family though; no one would tell me if they did know so I never found out. Just that I'd been with my parents only as a week old.”
 
“A week? Your real parents must not have cared very much for you if they didn't keep you very long,” he grumbled, not understanding how someone could not care for the boy in front of him.
 
The smaller boy glared up at Yami and the older stepped back with unease. That sort of expression didn't suit well for Yugi's personality. “What's wrong,” he asked quietly.
 
“You're wrong, that's what. My parents loved me very much. My mom and dad always told me that. They said when they adopted me that my biological parents couldn't keep me because of some reason I wasn't told and had to give me up. That's what I've been living with and I'm going to find them someday!”
 
Yami held up his hands in surrender. “Okay, I'm sorry, Yugi. I guess it didn't really sink in much that things as bad as that really happen to people.”
 
“That's okay, Yami. Do you think you have everything okay for tomorrow then or would you like to meet up in the morning and go over everything once more? It's getting kind of late after all,” he finished tensely.
 
“Yeah, that'd be great Yugi.” They headed for the exit. “Oh and Yugi,” Yami finally spoke up again after the quiet walk to the game shop. “You're friends were really great. Thank you for introducing me and letting me hang with you at lunch.”
 
“No problem, Yami. You're welcome into our group anytime,” the reply was said with much more ease and it amazed the slightly older teen how easily he'd been forgiven…or at least how well Yugi seemed to control himself.
 
Yami nodded and waved goodbye before heading down the street alone. Yugi also waved before heading into the game shop, calling out that he was home.
 
~~
 
“I'm back!” Yami called throughout the house.
 
“How'd everything go, Yami,” his mother called from the kitchen.
 
“Really great, I think I've even got some new friends. They seemed really great when I hung out with them at lunch with my student-helper.”
 
“That's wonderful, dear.” Just as she was about to ask the name of his student helper though, the door to Yami's room was heard opening and closing. She shook her head and continued making dinner.
 
“Teenagers,” Mr, Jikiro smirked and kept on reading his book at the kitchen table.