Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Unexplainable ❯ Injuries ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next morning Yugi was walking to school with a jump in his step, excited to meet up with Yami again. A light blush tinted his cheeks as he remembered all the teasing he'd endured the night before from his grandpa after he told him about Yami and how cute he looked.

"Fine, I'll agree to your little bargain on one condition though. I'm telling Yugi and you have to stay away and be nice to him until I do." A deep voice was saying from the courtyard of the school.

Curious Yugi hurried around to the gate leading into the yard and gasped at what he saw. Seru and Yami were there and… `They're shaking hands!? What's going on?'

Seru smiled as he nodded to the crimson-eyed teen before motioning to his cronies that they were leaving. Stepping out of the gate, Seru smiled down at Yugi as he passed. "You're in for a surprise, little one." Seru laughed out over his shoulder.

"Hey, Yugi. I'm glad you're here, I need to tell you something." Yami told the amethyst-eyed teen from the gate.

"Why were you talking to Seru? Even after what happened yesterday?" Yugi questioned, betrayal in his eyes.

"Yugi, it's not like it seems. He came to me wanting to ask me something and we came to an agreement." Yami tried explaining.

Yugi stepped away from Yami, shaking his head in denial. "How could you, Yami? You told me you hated people like that and now you're making agreements with him!" With that shouted, Yugi turned and ran towards the front of the school.

Yami only watched in confusion as Yugi disappeared around the corner. `I don't understand. He didn't even let me explain.' A sudden fear overcame Yami and he chased after Yugi.

Entering the school he heard a sudden cry of pain and fear and he ran towards hit as fast as he could. Turning a corner he gasped as Yugi's limp form rolled from the stairs and stilled in the middle of the hallway. Students gathered around the boy in concern, all crying for help and nobody sure if they should move him or leave him where he lay. Yami glanced up stairs and noticed a book dropped on one of stairs. A closer look showed a dirt mark in the shape of a small shoe overlapping one of the edges. Realization dawned on Yami and he shoved his way through the growing crowd and knelt next to Yugi's flaccid form.

Just in that moment everyone cleared away for the principal and he gasped at the appearance that met him. "What happened here?"

Yami looked up with worry apparent in his eyes. "Sir, Yugi and I had an argument just a few minutes ago because he saw me talking with Seru. He thought I was betraying him I guess and ran off before I could explain. My assumption is that in his emotional turmoil of running in here and up the stairs he failed to notice that book laying on one of the steps and misplaced his balance by stepping on it. He then fell down the stairs and must've hit his head on the steps doing so."

Just then a groan of pain scratched from Yugi's throat and confused amethyst eyes opened, blinking in the bright lights directly above him. "W-what happened?" He whispered, knowing if he talked any louder his head would explode on him.

"I'll bring the nurse." One boy shouted and ran off with another girl directly behind him. Not two minutes later they returned with a large woman hurrying after them.

She knelt beside Yami and checked his head careful, watching the winces and moans pains. "He should be fine." She said shortly after, smiling slightly at the few breaths of relief heard from random people, more so heard from Yami. "Probably a small concussion is all, nothing to worry about. All he need is a bit of rest. You," she looked at Yami, "why don't you help bring him home. I can write you a pass for the day that won't get you into trouble." Yugi's eyes closed tiredly and his breathing evened out a bit. Some of the girls in the crowd gathered giggled a little at how cute he looked almost asleep like he was.

Yami nodded and accepted the note she handed him after she tore it from a small notepad she kept in her pocket. "That should take care of it. Be careful with him and try not to jostle him around too much."

"Yes, ma'am." A few people hurried over and helped him lift Yugi from the ground so he was leaning against Yami's side. With that he half-carried his small charge from the school. "Don't worry, I'll take you home and take care of you until your grandfather can watch you more appropriately." Yami whispered to him.

Yugi groaned and mumbled incoherently. Yami softly asked him to repeat it and Yugi looked at him. Yami nearly flinched when he saw the betrayal that still seemed to linger in his eyes. "I said that my grandpa went to a gaming convention for the day and won't be home until late. I forgot my key in my room this morning because I was running a little late."

Yami nodded and continued heading down the same street. "That's okay then. I can take you to my place. It isn't anything like living on the second floor of a game shop, I'm sure, but it's home for me. Albeit, I must apologize now for the mess it might be in since we're still getting everything organized from the move in."

"It's fine." Yugi grumbled, looking back on the ground. Yami almost gasped when Yugi's weight leaned to one side, almost as if Yugi was trying to keep away from him as much as possible without falling over. "Yugi, let me help you. I don't want you getting hurt."

"And why would you care?" Yugi muttered.

An arrow of pain sped through Yami's chest, but he chose not to answer, not wanting to have Yugi even more upset with him than he already was. They continued the rest of the walk in silence.

Arriving at Yami's house, the crimson-eyed teen carefully brought his backpack around to the front and brought out his house keys. "My parents aren't going to be home though, so you don't have to worry about too many questions of the sort."

Yugi gave a small nod, but didn't look up at Yami at all when he led them into a narrow hallway and into the first door on the right. He helped him onto the bed "Why don't you take your uniform off? I don't think your grandfather would be pleased to see your uniform in wrinkles. And I have something that you could wear."

The smaller of the two nodded reluctantly and stripped off his jacket. He gasped though when Yami hurried to his side and looked closely on his arm.

"You must've scraped your arm along the stairs on the way down. I have something for that. I'll be right that." Yami stood and hurried out the door, throwing his own jacket on the floor and showing toned muscles moving slightly underneath his tensed shirt.

Yugi removed his shirt and laid it beside him after getting over how handsome Yami looked, even with his shirt on he could tell. Looking down at himself he quickly wrapped his arms around himself and shivered at how scrawny he must look compared to his older look-a-like.

Yami walked back in with a small first aid kit and a wet washcloth. He watched the smaller carefully as he notices Yugi won't look at him and finally decides to ask if he's uncomfortable. Yugi only shook his head at his questionable look.

"It's nothing." He said quietly.

The older decided it was best not to press the issue if he wanted to gain Yugi's trust and respect back; if he ever had it to begin with. He knelt down and nudged Yugi's legs apart, knee-walking in between them. Not expecting it however, Yugi gasped and pushed him away. "What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to clean it so it won't get infected with dirt." He explained. "It would be too awkward to sit on the bed and do it, but I will if it'll make you more comfortable."

Yugi shook his head and scooted back towards Yami with an embarrassed blush staining his cheeks. "Sorry." He muttered.

Yami nodded and started to clean the small scrape up with the cloth and dry it with a cotton ball. "Do you have something against homosexuals?" He asked suddenly, not looking up as he continued to work.

Yugi blushed deeply, sputtering and unable to form a word. "What!" He finally shouted out; the only thing he could say at the moment.

"Gays? Lesbians? Do you have a problem with them?"

"No! What in the world would possess you to ask something like that?"

Yami shrugged a pulled away, cleaning up the small mess and standing. "I guess just the way you acted just then, with being so upset because I was trying to clean your scrape without feeling in an awkward position."

"You just surprised me that's all. I wasn't expecting it." Yugi explained as he held his head, cursing himself inwardly for shouting so loud as his temple throbbed painfully.

"Alright then, my mistake." He stood and made his way out of the room. When he entered again he stared at Yugi, who was glaring at him. "What?" He questioned defensively, before mentally hitting himself for being rude.

"I can't have a problem with them anyway; it would be wrong to."

"Why's that?" Yami raised and eyebrow at him.

"Because I am one."

"Oh." Yami nodded and walked beside the bed. "Why don't you try sleeping now? It'll help with your headache. Would you like some medicine for it or something?"

Curious as to how Yami could accept his confession so easily he only stared for a second before shaking his head and lying down. He closed his eyes only when Yami closed the blinds and shut the door except for a crack.

"Call me if you need anything." Yami whispered before walking down the hall.

~~

Yugi awoke a couple hours later just as Yami was stepping through the door with a tray in his hands.

"Good, you're awake. I figured you might be hungry. I hope soup is enough; I'm a terrible cook and can only make this without summoning the fire department."

"No, that's fine. Thank you." Yugi took a look in the bowl and smiled. "This is my favorite."

"Really? I'm glad. You know, this is mine too."

Yugi smiled up at Yami and thanked him for lunch as he and Yami ate in silence on the bed; Yami ate a sandwich.

"It's been a while since I've had a filling lunch." Yugi mentioned quietly, realizing that Yami really hadn't meant to hurt him because he made some kind of agreement with Seru earlier. "Seru's always been stealing my lunch money so I got into a habit of bringing a granola bar just in case. Then during the week he was suspended all the lines were really long because nobody else had their money stolen from him either so I just gave up getting it at school." A small chuckle was heard and he looked up at Yami. "Come to think of it, I didn't get breakfast this morning. That's how late I was running today."

Yami gave him a worried look and shook his head, stuffing the rest of the sandwich in his mouth and swallowing. "It's not good to go so long without food. You'll only get sick when you try eating a lot later."

Yugi down sadly. "I know that." They waited in silence for a second before Yugi looked back up at the taller boy. "I'm sorry for how I acted earlier, when I ran out on you. I should've let you explain like you were trying to do."

The older only waved the apology away. "Don't worry about it, Yugi. I'll admit, it would've looked a bit suspicious to me as well if I had been looking over at it and I had only just met Seru yesterday morning." Glancing around the room with a thoughtful expression on his face before a sudden realization crossed his face. "By the way, how's your headache feeling?"

"Surprisingly, it's gone. Maybe a bit dizzy if I tried walking, but other than I'm fine just sitting up like this."

"That's good then. You should be able to go to school tomorrow if get a bit more rest tonight. I just hope that nurse isn't like my old one in my previous school."

"What was she like?" Yugi asked curiously.

"Horrible." The red-eyed teen summed up in one word. "If you were sick even with a cough she'd send you home immediately and order you not to come back until the day after it's gone. If you hurt yourself, even just a small scrape like yours, she's `pamper' you in a bed with the most uncomfortable pillows. I swear they were made of cardboard rather than feathers."

Yugi giggled behind his hand.

"Don't laugh! I'm serious! They were so stiff and I couldn't stand them. I think that was the point though. There wasn't a single person in our school who wasn't perfectly healthy all the time and as time grew they learned to be careful not to hurt themselves. Of course, that never stops the bullies either. It only gave them more reason to hurt the people weaker than themselves."

Yugi nodded and snuck a peak at Yami, who had sometime, probably when he was asleep, changed into something more comfortable looking and even tighter than their uniform's white shirt was on him. A blush spread on his cheeks at how tones his muscles were on Yami and he unconsciously hugged himself, shivering once more at how scrawny he must look sitting next to Yami.

"Cold?" Yami asked suddenly.

"Uh…um…no. I'm fine, just a small chill is all." Yugi lied, not wanting to admit the real reason he shivered."

Yami shrugged and picked up the discarded tray, piling the dirty dishes and started to leave the room.

"Yami?" Yugi called him back. "Will you come back when you're done with those?"

"If you want me to."

"I'd appreciate it."

"Then I'll be right back."

True to his word, five minutes later Yami returned with a phone in his hand. Seeing Yugi's questioned glance at it he smiled. "My dad should be on his break about now. I should let him know that I didn't exactly go to school today. If you can, you should probably call your grandfather and let him know what happened so he won't worry about you not being home."

Yugi nodded and respectfully stayed silent as Yami talked on the phone. He then took it and left a message on the machine explaining what had happened at school on the answering machine.

By the time Yugi finally felt up to going home he told Yami this.

"Are you sure? You're headache's all gone?"

Yugi nodded and glanced out the window, his face paling considerably.

"What's wrong?" Yami asked and hurried over to Yugi's side to catch him if he fell.

"I… I don't like the dark." Yugi whispered in confession.

"I see." Yami whispered back, for some reason keeping his voice soft.

"I've always hated it for some reason and I don't know why."

"That's okay. It's completely understandable, Yugi. If it makes you feel any better then I don't like it very much either." Yugi looked at him in disbelief. "I know it may not seem like it, but it always felt wrong at night every since I was really little. I don't know how, but I can remember, whenever I was going to sleep as a baby, that I was holding something; a stuffed animal most likely, but then I must've lost it sometime many years ago and I haven't found it since so I just can't seem to ever sleep right at night because of that strange knot in my chest that tells me something's missing."

"I feel that sometimes too, but I've always believed it was my real mother or father holding me close at night. I've always loved to be held but for some reason it never feels right." Yugi glanced up at Yami and blushed lightly. "That doesn't make sense, does it? See, I love to be held but at certain times it just doesn't feel right and that something's missing and I can feel deep inside my heart."

Yami nodded and walked over to his backpack. "I'll walk you home. I usually don't go to sleep until my parents get home anyway. I'll just leave a note telling them I'll be gone for a few minutes and they'll understand."

"Thank you, Yami; you don't have to."

"I want to though." He opened the door. "Let's go."

The walk to the game shop was silent except for the small scuffing of shoes on the pavement and the occasional kicked pebble bouncing across the concrete of the sidewalk. Overall it was an enjoyable experience for them both and they felt, for that short time in silence together, that things finally seemed perfect for them.

"Thank you for helping me, Yami." Yugi told him once they reached the backdoor of the game shop and he pulled out his spare key after finding it was still locked. "I hope you haven't fallen too far behind."

"It was just one day, Yugi, don't worry about it." He waved it off and started walking down the stoned walkway around to the front. He stopped though before he turned the corner. "And Yugi, I don't want to see you at school tomorrow if you have a headache when you wake up." Yugi looked at him wide-eyed for a second before nodding with a small smile. "Promise?"

"Yes, I promise."

"Good. I'll see you later than." He turned the corner and disappeared from sight.

Yugi sighed and a small smile couldn't help but escape him. The thoughts passing through his mind as he stepped into the game shop and put his stuff away was how enjoyable his day had been even when he slept through most of it.

Little did he know that Yami was thinking the same thing and how adorable Yugi looked, even for injured reasons, asleep and in his own bed as a bonus. If anything, he knew somehow that he was going to sleep peacefully that night.