Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Love is Unexplainable ❯ A Deal Made ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Leave me alone!" Yugi shouted at the school bully as he cornered himself in between the school building and the fence surrounding the perimeter of the property.

"Come on, squirt. I just wanna talk to you for a minute so stop making so stop making it so much more difficult than it really is."

"No! Just go away or… or else Yami will find you and you'll get beat up again!" Yugi warned out, hoping that his wish came true and Yami would find them in the deserted area of the school.

The truth was he hadn't meant to get so far away from the rest of the people at the school, but it just happened that that's where his feet had unconsciously led him and now it was excruciatingly rare that someone would find them unless they looked extremely hard and probably very long.

The story went that Seru had actually sought him out and he ran the first chance he got before the bully got a word out. Now he had no choice but to listen to him unless he could scare him into thinking Yami would find them and he'd get hurt again.

As it went though Seru and his cronies through their heads back at nearly the exact same time after he had made his threat and laughed as loudly as humanly possible.

After a few minutes and their laughter had died down some, Seru smirked at Yugi. "It just so happens that Jikiro and I had a little chat, the one you witnessed just yesterday. See he told me that you ran from him and got into an accident in which the stairs won. Now I suppose it's my turn to tell you about our agreement."

"I don't care what it was about; just leave me alone!" Yugi yelled at him. He was hoping that if his voice was loud enough someone might just hear them and come before Seru got bored of talking and wanted to play the `fist imprinted in head' game.

"Stop scaring the poor guy, Seru." A familiar deep voice chuckled just behind the school bully.

"It's just too much fun messing with his head though, Jikiro." Seru said back just as he turned and Yami came into view.

"Yami!" Yugi shouted relief and felt instant bravery at the sight of the teen. He shoved passed Seru and grabbed onto the taller's arm and hid slightly behind him, glaring at him from the side of his savior. "I told you he'd come and now you're in big trouble." Yugi mocked, sticking his tongue out for emphasis.

Seru only laughed again and walked towards them. Yugi tensed but Yami shook his head to show him not to worry and, somehow knowing he would, Seru stopped directly in front of them. Confusion was the first thing that dawned on Yugi before realization overcame him instead: it must've had something to do with the agreement that him and Yami had made.

"Well, squirt, I guess Jikiro is going to tell you himself after all. Less fun for me, but go ahead then."

Yami nodded and looked down at Yugi, not making any move to tug Yugi's clasp around his arm, especially if it helped the smaller teen feel safer in the presence of his life's tormentor. "Yugi, you remember yesterday when you saw me and Seru shaking hands?" Yugi nodded and Yami smiled slightly. "I was going to tell you but I didn't want you to think too much after your accident. We made an agreement that Seru would stop picking on you in exchange that I don't tell anyone about how I embarrassingly beat him and the rest of his gang and to also help him with his studies since he doesn't want to repeat his junior year again."

"And if you tell anyone, squirt, I may just forget I ever made that promise." Seru growled between clenched teeth.

"What do you think, Yugi?"

"Y-you did that for me?" Yami nodded. "But why?"

"Because you're my friend and I hate seeing my friends get hurt if I have a way to stop it."

"Then… then I promise I won't tell anyone."

"You better squirt." Seru smirked. "Well, now that that's taken care of I suppose we should get to class." He nodded to his three friends behind him and they walked off towards the school building together.

"Thank you, Yami." Yugi whispered as he finally let go of Yami's arm and hid both hands behind his back nervously. "Now that I think about it now, I feel kind of stupid for how I was yelling at him that you would beat him up if you found us."

"Don't worry about it. And don't feel scared about coming to me if he still bugs you, okay. I want to make sure he keeps his end of the bargain up before I completely start trusting him enough to let him in my house for a study session."

Yugi laughed and nodded. "I promise." They walked off together towards the school.

~~

That had to be one of the weirdest days Yugi had ever had in the history of his educational life. Instead of hiding during lunch for the first fifteen minutes or so like normal Yugi was allowed the pleasure of walking around only to run into someone and caused him to fall on the ground.

"Hey, squirt. You should really pay attention to where you're going or you'll get hurt." A hand appeared in front of Yugi's face and he looked up curiously at Seru.

"Why are you being so nice now?" Yugi accused.

"Well I figured if I'm not allowed to pick on you anymore if I don't want my old man to ground me all summer for not passing my junior year again, then I might as well get along with you then, if you don't mind that is; wouldn't want to waste my time on a shrimp if he's not going to appreciate it."

Yugi smiled slightly on nodded, relieved for the bully's change of mind all because of Yami. If anyone had told Yugi that he was going to end up having some kind of friendly relationship with the bully who had beat him up for all his school years, he would've probably died of laughter, but now he doesn't find it so strange somehow. He gladly took the offered hand and strangely comforting with the rough texture of Seru's skin had against his own soft and childlike hands.

"Now get out of here. I'm sure that your friends are wondering where you are."

Yugi nodded and hurried off.

"Hey! Squirt!" Seru called back.

Yugi paused and looked back.

"Tell Yami I've got some Algebra homework I need help on and my teacher sucks at explaining things that make sense!"

Yugi nodded big enough for Seru to see and hurried off again. He might feel slightly more comfortable in the junior's presence now that he knew he wasn't going to get hurt doing it, but that didn't count for having some kind of conversation with him.

"Yugi!" One of the teen's friends called out when they saw him heading towards them.

"Hey, Duke. What's up? Where's the rest of the gang eating today?"

"We're over in the shade today since the sun's so bright and hard on the eyes. Come on, Yami's already there."

Yugi nodded and they hurried over to the table where everyone was anxiously waiting to hear how Yugi was feeling after hearing from Yami about his fight and loss with the stairs.

~~

Yugi hung up the phone and turned to Yami with a smile. "He said it's fine."

"Good, now we'll be able to work on that project without a time limit to worry about." Yami returned the smile and led the way to his bedroom.

The duo were assigned a science project the day before and both had agreed to go to Yami's house to work on the project together so they could both get a good grade instead of a rushed project using the time given in class. They would get the research over with that day and do all the other technical stuff done during class and, if needed, finish the rest of it at Yami's place as well.

"Yami," Yugi suddenly looked up from one of the many research books they'd checked out from the school library. Yami made a noise from his laptop that told the younger teen he was listening. "Why aren't your parents ever home? Are they really such workaholics?"

Yami looked up at Yugi and stopped typing for a second. "Before we moved here we had… problems with our financial orders. It seemed like my parents had them even before I was born. They told me once that I was going to be taken away from them if they didn't get everything straightened out in a limited amount of time. They did though so there's nothing to worry about anymore." Yami finished off quickly and went back to typing.

Yugi looked down at the book he was reading silently, but he couldn't focus on the words. Looking back over at Yami he saw that the red eyes had darkened slightly and there was something fierce glinting in their depths. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

Yami glanced up startled and shook his head. "Don't worry about it, it's not important anymore. That's all in the past and it can't be changed."

"I know, but I shouldn't have made you bring it up."

Yami started at how sincere Yugi sounded even when it wasn't the younger's fault. He moved his laptop to his side and slid off the bed to wrap his arms around the younger, surprising him slightly before he hesitantly moved more comfortably into the embrace. "Yugi, I told you because I trust you and because I wanted to tell you. You didn't make me tell you anything."

Yugi nodded and snuggled closer into Yami's arms. He suddenly realized what he was doing though and pulled back abruptly, blushing intensely and looking to the floor.

Yami also blushed, not to Yugi's knowledge. He'd known Yugi for a few weeks now and recently he'd found that he continuously wanted to be near the younger. He tried ignoring his feelings so he wouldn't scare off his shy friend, but it didn't seem to be working. He'd even gone so far as to try avoiding him for a day but his resolve ended the same day when Joey came to him saying Yugi was in tears because he believed he was mad at him for something he'd done.

"Why don't we take a break for a little while since I don't think we're going to get much done right now," he suggested out of the blue, wanting to get their minds on a different subject. "Would you like something to eat?"

Yugi looked up shyly and nodded. "If it's not too much trouble?"

"Of course not, Yugi. Come on, let's go see what we've got in this place."

They ended up having sandwiches since that's all they had in the house after Yami figured, with slight embarrassment, that his mom had reminded him just before he left for school that she was going to go grocery shopping before she got home from work.

As he watched Yugi eat his PBJ, he noticed small remnants of peanut butter and some of the jelly making a mustache on the smaller's face and he wished eagerly to help clean it for him. At that thought however, he mentally smacked himself and fell off the stool in his psychological scolding of having such perverted thoughts for someone so innocent.

Yugi jumped up from his own stool instantaneously and crouched down beside the older teen. "Yami! Are you hurt?" He asked with pressing concern.

A blush from Yami was all it took then when he made his settlement to tell Yugi how he felt since he obviously couldn't suppress them.

"Yami, say something!" Yugi's voice startled him from his thoughts.

The older jumped up with a darker blush against his pale cheeks and nodded rapidly. "Yeah, no problems; just clumsy I guess."

"If you're sure." Yugi stood hesitantly and sat back down on his stool, still staring at Yami.

"I'm fine; nothing to worry about, I promise." Yami moved back onto his own stool and gave a mental sigh in relief. `I'll tell him on Monday. That way if he doesn't answer me when I tell him then he has the chance to avoid me if he doesn't feel the same.' He looked back up at Yugi and gave him an encouraging smile. "I think I'm about ready to work on that project then. How bout you?"

Yugi gave a small nod with a smile. "Yup," he jumped off the stool, "let's go." He grabbed Yami's hand and pulled him to the bedroom not noticing the flush on Yami's cheeks nor his direct stare where their hands were interlocked.

~~

Yugi gave a large yawn and stretched out tiredly on the cough, his head unconsciously resting on Yami's lap where he had put it while watching a movie the two had decided to watch after they finished all the research they possible could.

"I think it's time for you to go home, Yugi. I wouldn't want your grandfather to get mad with me if I called and told you had fallen asleep and I had too big a heart to wake you up."

The younger looked up at him tiredly and gave a small nod. "Okay," he mumbled out. Yami thought he looked adorable.

"I can drive you home if you want," Yami offered.

Yugi's eyes widened in confusion. "You can drive? How come you never mentioned that before?"

Yami shrugged. "I hadn't had my license for long enough to be able to drive you before and it never came up I guess. Would you rather we walked instead?"

"I'm afraid you'd have to carry me if we did that. I wouldn't be able to walk all that way."

"Alright then, as long as you aren't scared of motorcycles. My car needs a new battery and I haven't gotten around to it."

Yugi hesitated before he shook his head `no' slowly. "It'll be all right. At least I should be able to stay awake with the wind blowing in my face."

"Okay then, let's go find a helmet for you." Yami led the way into the one-car garage.

Inside was a large open space where a car could fit, and off to the side with a cover over it was what was unmistakably a kind of motorcycle.

"I actually found it in a junkyard near my old apartment home. I liked it and fixed it up a bit. Then I saved up the money to take the test to get my license to be able to drive it on the street. The radiator got shot though since it was so old and I finally got enough saved up last weekend to get a new one."

"So you'll be able to get to school faster now."

"That's right. If you want I could give you rides so you won't feel rushed anymore."

"That would be nice. Especially when I have a lot of homework in my backpack; it's starting to really mess up my back and making it really sore."

Yami nodded as he rummaged through a moth-eaten box before yelling in triumph. "Here, it's a bit smaller than my own so it should work for now."

Yugi nodded and took it, trying it on. Yami pat the top of it and jiggled it around before he was satisfied. "A perfect fit." He announced.

He moved to the covered bike and removed the sheet to reveal a shiny, midnight blue colored motorcycle. Yugi could only imagine what hard work Yami had to have put into it to get it to run and look like new.

"You did a great job fixing this up if you got it out of a junk yard. It looks amazing."

Yami laughed, "Thanks, it did take a long time and a few times I even considered giving up." He swung one leg over and looked it over silently before nodding and pulling a key from his pocket to start it up. "It actually looked like… well, I'm not sure what to say what it looked liked when I found it, but it did look a real mess. The new coat is really what lightened my pocket. After shining the real color up I found out that the old coat of paint was cracked and scratching up and I didn't want to ride around with it looking like that so I wanted a new coat on it to make it look new." He turned the key and a beautiful sounding hum riveted up.

"Sounds nice!" Yugi shouted over the noise.

Yami nodded a thanks and put on his helmet. After buckling it up he pointed to a button near the door and Yugi hurried over to press it. The garage door opened and Yami scooted the bike out slowly. Once clear he nodded for Yugi to press it again and, after doing so, ran out before the door closed. He climbed onto the back of the bike behind Yami and wrapped his arms tightly around the older's waist before Yami rode them down the street at a speed he guessed would be okay for Yugi to handle.

Turning the first corner Yugi squeezed his arms tighter around Yami's waist in the fear that they wouldn't make the turn and would skid off balance but he found his fears were for nothing when Yami expertly made the turn and barely leaned towards the deathly pavement below.

After a few more twists and turns Yami gave to a slow stop and turned off the engine. He hopped off the bike and helped Yugi down as well. "Sorry if I scared you." Yami said as he took Yugi's helmet from him.

"No, don't worry about it. I've just never ridden on a bike before. Thanks for not going fast though."

Yami waved it off and turned to the game shop where Yugi's grandfather was opening the locked doors so Yugi wouldn't have to go around. "I'll take that as your signal that you have to go in now." He joked.

"Probably; then again he could just be in shock that I came here on a motorcycle."

Yami laughed and got back on the bike. "I'll see you on Monday then?"

"Yup." Yugi answered cheerfully.

Yami gave him a small wink before driving back down the street.

A blush spread on Yugi's cheeks as he watched him go and was startled when a blanket was wrapped around his shoulders.

"He seems like a nice enough lad. Is he your type though?" His grandpa teased.

A darker blush covered the first and slapped his grandpa's arms away lightly.
"Grandpa!"

"Just asking." The old man joked, holding his hands up in mock surrender. "Let's go inside. You look like you're ready to drop."

"I am." Yugi smiled back. He followed the game shop keeper inside and locked the doors behind him before going to bed. His grandfather came in to say goodnight. Before he closed the bedroom door though, Yugi called him back.

"He is." Yugi answered.

"He who?" Solomon asked in confusion.

"Yami…he's my type." Yugi blushed lightly.

"I'm glad you finally found someone who treats you nice, Yugi. Goodnight."

"Night, grandpa."