Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Live ❯ Meant to Live, Part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: And for those of you who don't pay attention in both summaries…

Warning: Shounen-ai. Oh yeah, I don't own YuGiOh or the lyrics to "Meant to Live" by SwitchFoot.

/ / means first person in a mental convo

// // means second person in a mental convo

Yami will be called Atemu in this fic.

Because of it's size it will have to be broken into four chapters.

Now to the story!

Meant to Live, Part 1

(Ryou's POV)

Another day at school. Boring school. Now at lunch it's not too bad. Yugi and everyone are under the tree with me. I'm so glad Bakura and Marik aren't here. Atemu actually knows enough to come here. I wonder what the conversation is about…

*Fumbling his confidence

And wondering why the world has past him by*

"I can't believe it! You and him this whole time?" Anzu shouted at Yugi. Was that a tinge of jealousy in her voice?

"Y-yes, we've liked each other almost for forever," Yugi said as Atemu grasped his hand firmly.

"Wow, I thought I was weird…" Jonouchi chimed in.

"It's not weird. Love is beautiful in any kind!" I exclaimed.

Everyone was staring at me. I could feel my face going red.

"Do you like anyone Ryou?" Yugi asked intently.

"No… well, not really," I responded, cheeks flushed with color. No one could know I like him. No one does, not even him. Oh, how I wish he did…

"Whad'ya mean `not really'?" Honda taunted.

"Erm… well… not in an affection sort of way," I stammered out.

"Okay, `cause it kinda sounded like you were, maybe, crushing on someone" Honda said, heavily emphasizing the word "crushing."

"N-no! Nothing like that! I just meant I liked all you people as friends," I responded frantically.

"Okay Ryou. Sorry if it bothered you that I asked," Yugi said.

"No Yugi, it's okay. I guess I might have taken a little more personally than intended," I said quietly.

Yugi just smiled at me. He does that to everyone. That's what people like about him, his cheery mood. I wonder if Bakura sees anything in me… Probably not.

Their conversation continued with Jonouchi nagging about a wedding date, Yugi frantically trying to yell at Jonouchi, and Atemu calming Yugi down. I was yet again a bystander, no one caring if I was even there anymore. That's how life is for me. Just a bystander as everyone around me finds destiny, true love, and a wonderful life.

*Hoping that he's bid for more than

Arguments and failed attempts to fly, fly*

Almost everyday Bakura finds something wrong to bring up and tries to get me to fight with him. I can never bring myself to have more than a small argument with him, and I never want to. He always ends up beating me and telling me how wimpy I am.

I love him, why can't he see that? I haven't ever told him, but I've hinted it too many times to count.

Sometimes I just wish I could run into his waiting arms and tell him that I love him, over and over. But that will never happen. He could never love you; no one could.

/He even told you, you baka. You heard him loud and clear./ my mind told me.

//No! Stop! I know what he said!// I tried to fight back.

/Worthless… Pathetic… Weakling…/ It taunted.

//STOP! He didn't mean it!//

/Of course he did… Don't you understand he tells you what's true?/

"No, I know he doesn't!" I shouted out loud. When I looked at everyone's faces, I blushed from their stares. I've gotta get that reflex under control…

"Ryou… do you really feel that strongly about it?" Anzu questioned.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't listening… I got lost thinking and I guess I spoke out loud…" I responded, dodging their penetrating eyes.

"Oh, well we were… kinda talking about… well… you" Yugi said.

"M-me?" I must have heard him wrong… It couldn't be true… No one cared about me…

"Yeah, you know our freaky math teacher?" Jonouchi asked.

"You mean the really nice one?" I said confused. Mr. Murphy is so nice. All of the times Bakura stole my homework and ripped it to shreds, he never got angry. He just smiled and gave me a new sheet. I haven't had math yet today.

"A little too nice…" Atemu muttered under his breath, then shuddered.

Yugi shot him a "shut your mouth" kinda look and Atemu fell silent instantly.

"Huh?" This was so confusing. What did Atemu mean?

"Jonouchi, Honda, Atemu, Anzu and I have well, we've noticed something in the way Mr. Murphy acts towards you alone…" Yugi said with difficulty.

"I… I don't understand…" What was Yugi implying?

"Your innocence is killing me…" Atemu stated.

My innocence?

"He's crushing on ya and we know it." Jonouchi finally cracked under the suspense.

I went bright red… again. A teacher?! No… no one could love me…

*We were meant to live for so much more

Have we lost ourselves?

Somewhere we live inside

Somewhere we live inside*

"Jonouchi! Anyway, we were just guessing that due to the way he acts during class towards you." Yugi explained.

I couldn't respond. They think someone likes me?

/What's this Ryou? Someone actually likes you?/ Bakura questioned in my mind.

//Bakura! You heard me?// I exclaimed.

/So who is it?/ He retorted back.

//They think my math teacher, Mr. Murphy, is the one who does.//

/You have got to be kidding me!/ Bakura was laughing so hard my head began to hurt.

//I haven't noticed any signs though.// I tried to say defensively.

/Well, leave your link open and I'll see. Send me a mental picture so I know who to look out for./ Bakura managed between laughs.

//Ok…//

/That's your teacher?! Are you sure he's not just one of your class mates?/

//What's wrong with him?//

/Nothing, that's the point./

//BAKURA! You can't be serious!//

/It's not like I'd actually go for him you fool!/

//Sorry… I'll just get back to Yugi and the others…//

/You do that./

"Well… uh… I don't know guys…" I said after I was sure Bakura was temporarily closed off.

"Just wait until class today!" Honda exclaimed.

Just then the bell had rung. I opened my link again for Bakura. Maybe he would learn a few things…

/I heard that!/ Bakura shouted at me.

//Sorry, but could you warn me the next time you yell like that?//

/No! And I don't want to clog my brain with useless information./

//Well, you better pay attention if you want to see my math teacher because I'll probably forget by then.//

"You coming Ryou?" Yugi asked.

"Yeah… I just need to pick up my stuff," I said as I gathered my books into my bag.

/Stop acting so melancholy like! It's bothering my brain!/

//Sorry//

I walked up to Yugi who was waiting for me, unlike the others. Together we found our seats and waited for the teacher to begin class. Two classes from now would be math…

*We were meant to live for so much more

Have we lost ourselves?

Somewhere we live inside*

I walked slowly into the classroom and sat in my seat, in the front row. I couldn't wait to continue learning about special triangles!

/I thought you hated school/

//No, I just find it boring//

Mr. Murphy looked up from his desk as the late bell resounded in the empty hallways and students scurried to find their assigned places.

"Good afternoon class," Mr. Murphy began.

"Good afternoon Mr. Murphy." The class chanted in unison.

The lesson was only 7 minutes in when Bakura started questioning me.

/So this is him in person? Well, almost in person./

//Yes, now I need to pat attention to this lesson! We're having a quiz next Friday.//

/Who cares?/

//I don't want to fail!//

/Why do you bother with school anyway?/

//So I can get a job and grow up able to pay for my house!//

"Ryou, are you ok?" Came Mr. Murphy's voice from right next to my chair.

I realized I had been staring into space while Bakura was interrogating me.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I answered half-heartedly.

"You look kinda dazed. Are you sure you don't want to go to the infirmary?" He questioned.

"Yes, I wouldn't want to miss the lesson." I smiled.

Mr. Murphy smiled and put his hand on my shoulder. "Good, I knew you'd say something like that."

As he was walking back to the board I could feel his hand almost massage my shoulder.

/You don't feel that?!/

//What?//

/Gods, you really are oblivious. Not to mention too innocent for your own good/

//Why would you say that?//

/Ugh… I give up/

Suddenly I felt like I really could go to the infirmary. I was feeling dizzy and my head started to get heavy.

/What's wrong with you? Being connected to you right now doesn't exactly give me the best vibe…/

Did Bakura just care?

//I don't know…//

My vision was blurring. Am I really getting sick?

"Ryou? Ryou, are you feeling well?" Mr. Murphy was back next to my seat.

"Yeah… I'm all right. I was just lost in thought for a second…" I managed to say.

"You really don't look well. Your cheeks are flushed and your eyes are almost closed." He sounded so concerned…

"It's ok…" That was all I got out before my head tilted backwards and everything went black.

(Third person POV)

"Somebody get him to the infirmary!" Mr. Murphy shouted.

Jonouchi volunteered and got Ryou as fast as possible to the office…