Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Live ❯ Meant to Live, Part 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Yet again, same stuff. Warning: Shounen-ai,

Disclaimer: I do not own YuGiOh or the lyrics to "Meant to Live" by SwitchFoot.

Story time!

Meant to Live, Part 4

(Bakura's POV)

*We were meant to live for so much more

Have we lost ourselves?*

His seat is in the front row in math?! Now I'm sure of it! But that teacher will not so much as lay a finger on me or my Ryou anymore. Wait, did I just say my Ryou? I really am going soft! But no one can touch him! He's mine!

"Good afternoon class," came a male's voice just after the last bell rang.

"Good afternoon Mr. Murphy," grumbled the whole class except for me.

"Ryou, you're back in school. Are you feeling better?"

I can't believe this man! If I'd let Ryou go to school, he'd be so embarrassed! It's not right to single out one student!

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks." I managed to still imitate Ryou's sweet voice.

"You look a lot better. Well, does everyone who brought things have them?"

People around me started rummaging through bags and putting food, drinks, and plates on the front table. Another party… great…

"Ryou, please come to my desk for a moment. Rows one and two can start taking refreshments in the mean time. Just leave enough for the others."

What did this creep want now? I walked slowly over to his desk and stood my distance. He will not touch me because he would be intending to touch my Ryou.

"Please come a bit closer, I don't bite," Mr. Murphy said in a tone of voice that was just plain freaky to me.

Despite that, I stepped in closer. He will never touch my Ryou again! Ever!

"What is it that you'd like from me?"

"Would you be available to stay me after class? You don't have anything extremely important next period, do you?"

He wants me to be in a room alone with him?! No way!

"Um… I might have a quiz next period… in English…"

"Then could you come after school?"

Crap! I don't have anything to say for that!

"I guess. I'll come then."

"Good. And I'll be in this room."

I put on my best Ryou smile and walked back to my desk. If he wants to see Ryou, he's got another thing coming. That pervert is atleast 10 years older than my Ryou!

"Rows three, four, and five my go up now."

I didn't feel like eating anymore so I just stayed and stared at my desk.

"Ryou, you're not hungry?" That stupid teacher never gave up, did he?

"No, thanks anyway."

As the Pharaoh passed my seat he gave me a "You better be careful" look. I shot him back a "I know what I'm doing" look.

The period passed slowly, with Ryou's teacher giving me an occasional smile. He really freaks me out. I was so relieved to leave that classroom, only to realize that I would be back there in less that 45 minutes.

"What did Mr. Murphy say to you, Bakura?" Yugi questioned.

"He wanted me to come after school."

"You're not going, are you?"

"Yeah, I'm going. But I'm going to teach him a lesson about touching my Ryou."

"Your Ryou?" Atemu chimed in a mocking way.

"Well… it's not like you're not constantly being possessive of Yugi!" I shouted defensively.

"Everyone knows we like each other. You and Ryou is a different story."

"I don't like him! I just don't want anyone touching what's mine."

"Ryou is not something to claim as property…"

"Well I don't care! He's mine and if anyone tries to steal him from me, they will get punished!"

"It sure seems like you like him."

"WILL YOU JUST GET OFF MY CASE?! I DON'T LIKE RYOU!!" A few people in the halls turned to look at us.

"There's nothing to see here, continue what you were doing before!" Jonouchi warded everyone off for us.

"I don't like him, no matter what you say. Now someone take me to Ryou's next class before I lose it again!"

Yugi was shaking but started to walk in the direction of the classroom. I followed, not glancing at the Pharaoh once.

To my dismay, there was indeed a quiz. What does `cat' mean? Wasn't that `neko'?

/Very good Bakura./

//Ryou! You're supposed to be asleep!//

/I couldn't help it. You might need help./

//Well thanks. Could you tell me what they all mean?//

/It wouldn't be cheating considering I'm really supposed to be taking this, right?/

//Right.//

Finally the class was over! Now to set that math teacher straight…

I made my way down the hall and into the classroom. Before I went in I looked around to see if he was there, but He wasn't. Why would he want me to come if he wouldn't be there? I walked into the room.

"Mr. Murphy?" I called out, just incase I just didn't see him.

There was no response. I walked over to the desk I used two periods ago and sat down. Might as well be comfortable while waiting, right?

A few minutes passed and finally I heard the door open. I turned to see him standing in the doorway.

"Hello, Ryou. You got here sooner than I expected."

"I wanted to be early, Mr. Murphy."

He walked over to where I was sitting. He better not get any closer…

"I'm glad to see you. I've been waiting so long."

Now this was really creeping me out.

"Um… uh…"

"No need to speak Ryou, although you do sound so innocent and sweet when you do."

Was this guy for real? He expected Ryou to just sit here and wait to be molested by his math teacher?!

"You are a very nice, beautiful, and talented young man. And I especially have noticed that." Mr. Murphy put a hand on my shoulder. If he doesn't take it off soon he's going to wish he were never born. But he continued to speak. "I know how fragile you are but please forgive me for my suddenness."

I looked up at him in confusion. It was pretty good Ryou acting, except I wasn't trying to act. What was he going to do?

At that moment he pulled me out of my seat and started to kiss me. I tried to push him off but he was holding my arms to my sides. As soon as Mr. Murphy pulled away I backed away from him 4 steps.

"Ryou, is something wrong?"

"Is something wrong?! You just kissed me!"

"I'm sorry if you weren't ready but you seemed to be flirting back in class."

This man had to be crazy! Ryou didn't even believe someone liked him, let alone if he even knew how to flirt.

"Flirting back?! He didn't even know you liked him!"

"Him? You're not Ryou, are you?"

"No! And I'm glad I was here instead of him! How dare you try to take advantage of someone so innocent! He was clueless that you even showed any affection for him!"

"He didn't know?"

"No and it's going to stay that way! If you dare to even smile at him so that he feels awkward, you'll be gone from the face of the planet! And I'm always watching over my Ryou, I'll know." With that I turned to leave.

Mr. Murphy was speechless. Just before I walked out the door, I turned around and gave him one of my death glares. Glad that's over with. Walking home, I couldn't wait to see Ryou again. I hope he didn't worry about me being late…

*We were meant to live for so much more

Have we lost ourselves?*

I searched for the house key Ryou had given me and opened the front door.

"Ryou, I'm back."

I looked around and saw him sleeping on the couch nearest the door with a blanket half on him. He was shivering and his face still looked flushed. I quickly carried him back to his room, away from the cold outside.

As I opened his door, he looked up at me with eyes of concern and relief. They were so beautiful and big…

"You're back…" He said in a voice close to a whisper.

"Yes, I am. Why did you leave your room and stay there?"

"I wanted to wait for you but you didn't come home and I accidentally fell asleep."

"I'm sorry I wasn't home on time," At that point I placed him on his bed with the blanket tightly around him, then continued, "but I had to teach a teacher of yours a lesson."

He looked at me again, this time there was confusion in his eyes. They still look so adorable… They make him so adorable…

"That math teacher. He really does like you. But with what happened this afternoon you won't need to be worrying about him any more."

"Bakura! What did you do?"

"Nothing! He asked me to come after school, so I did. And he kissed me! Well, what he thought was you."

"He what?!"

"He kissed me thinking it was you. But I told him to lay off so he won't bother you any more."

"Th-thank you. I can't believe it though. Someone could actually like me that much…"

What? Did he think that there was no one who liked him at all? There were so many! I even had some girls eyeing me and giggling at me! And I loved him. I loved him with all my heart. I just hope he feels the same way…

"There is someone else who likes you that much, Ryou."

This is it! Now or never! What is he going to say back?

"What? Who?"

Now! Do it! Tell him how much you love him! Tell him how he is the only thing you think about! Tell him how you could never stand hurting him! Tell him that you'll always be his protector and there by his side!

"It's… It's me…"

(Ryou's POV)

I can't believe it! But does he really like me? Is this just something to toy with my emotions? If it is that would be the cruelest thing I have ever seen done. He must know that I love him with all of my heart. That I'll never let him down, even if he thinks I do. That I'll always be here for anything he needs. That I can't seem to think of anything but him.

"You do?"

"Yes… I do."

He can't be lying! Even if he is, take a chance for once! This might be the only opportunity you have to tell him!

"I… I love you too."

His face almost seemed overjoyed when he looked at me.

"You do?"

I nodded, being short of breath. He lunged forwards and started to hug me tightly. I was shocked, but managed to get my arms around him as well.

*We were meant to live for so much more

Have we lost ourselves?*

I could stay in your arms forever, Bakura. I wish I could. The room feels like it is spinning. Why must I always be the one to ruin a good moment?

"Bakura?"

"Hn?"

"I feel dizzy again."

He pulled away and stared at me. Then he smiled. A smile that was actually from his heart. That's the first time I have seen him do that…

"Then you should rest. You are still sick after all."

"Thank you. For everything."

I laid down and Bakura pulled the covers up for me. He kissed me on the forehead and my face got brighter than it already was.

"Sleep, my love. I'll be right here."

I watched him move over to the chair again. He sat down and faced me with a smile still across his face. I couldn't help but smile back. I then turned my head to face the wall, and the darkness of slumber came to me instantly.

(Bakura's POV)

I can't believe it! I am finally complete. That hole in my heart filled. The empty spaces inside of me connected once again. He reminds me of me… I used to be a sweet innocent boy… until the Idiot Pharaoh had to come and burn my village and kill my family. I will never forgive him for that.

Suddenly Ryou mumbled something in his sleep. I walked over to hear him better. What could he be dreaming about?

"Tsuki… no… please no…"

How could he… Oh no! Is he dreaming my past again? Tsuki was my sister…

"Mother… father… run!"

He must… Why did a dream like that have to come now? And why did it have to be this one?

"Pharaoh! You!"

He is suffering all of the pain I suffered that day…

"B-bakura?"

I looked up and noticed Ryou had awoken and was staring at me with fearful eyes.

"What is it my love?"

"Was that… your past? I was you… and I saw a village being burned… I yelled out someone's name and saw what looked like my own parents being chased out and killed. But then I saw Atemu. He looked so evil and power-hungry."

"Hush. Yes, that was my past. It was the day my heart was shattered. It was never fixed until I met you."

"Thank you. But those people… they looked so much like the family I once had…"

I never met his full family… only his father. But he left on an expedition last year…

"That is because we are almost the same person. Our only differences are our personalities and out time periods."

"But it was so horrible…"

"Yes, I know. My childhood wasn't exactly pleasant. You should go back to sleep."

"O-okay. But I want to know more of your past tomorrow."

"Sure."

I watched him lay down again. I sat back down and waited to hear his steady breathing, meaning he went to sleep. It didn't come for a few minutes.

He should not be tortured with my memories… not as much as I am. Every night is a different memory. Few are good. I looked at Ryou's sleeping body. So delicate… both physically and mentally.

His breathing didn't seem normal… The pattern kept on changing. His breaths were getting a bit shorter. I quickly moved to his bedside once again. He looked like he was struggling to breathe.

"Ryou! Ryou, are you ok?"

He opened his eyes slightly and gave me a pleading look, almost as to say "save me".

"I'm here, but how can I help?"

Ryou's head tilted slightly from side to side twice.

"No? I can't help you?"

Same head movements again. But what was going to happen?

/Ryou, please tell me what is happening!/ I was almost pleading to him.

//I'm sorry… I can't. It will break both of our hearts.//

/You need to tell me! I don't care!/

//I can't… it's too hard…//

/Please! I need to know if I can help!/

//You can't… I've already gone too far…//

/What?/

//I'm dying Bakura. I didn't want you to know because we had just figured out that we loved each other.//

/No… you can't be…/

//I have a condition that if my body temperature is too high, my heart rate slows down. I'm so sorry.//

/You can't help it. But there must be a way to lower your temperature!/

//No… I told you I've already gone too far. Bakura… please don't be sad for me.//

/You were my one love, how can I not?/

//Please move on… I wouldn't want to be the reason you were always holding back.//

/No! I won't let you go!/

Tears were coming down my face… for the first time in so many years. But for this reason? No, it won't happen!

*We were meant to live*

I ran to get some ice. Ice should work, shouldn't it? I filled a small bag and ran back to Ryou. I will never let you die! Never!

I placed the ice on his forehead. His body gave an involuntary shudder. Just hold on. You'll be all right… I promise…

/Just don't die on me. Not now./

//I will try not to for your sake. Thank you.//

Tears started to fall down his cheeks.

/I'll always be here to help and protect you, I promise./

The tears from my eyes came more freely. My fingers were running through his hair, occasionally feeling his forehead.

Time passed and I was still checking his forehead. The ice had almost melted.

/I need to get new ice. Please don't let go./

I ran as quickly as possible to get a second bag. As soon as I got back I switched the two, dropped the first in the sink, and got back to Ryou's side.

His breathing was getting worse… almost gasping for breath… This can't happen! I won't let it!

Only a minute had passed before Ryou's eyes shot open and he grabbed onto one of my hands tightly. His breathing was close to ceasing.

"Please don't let go! Try!"

I held his hand that was holding mine in my other hand.

"I will not let you go!"

He looked at me and smiled weakly.

"Goodbye, my love." He said with his one last breath.

"No! Please! Ryou!"

His hand went limp in mine. My face was covered in tears. His skin went paler than normal and his breathing stopped.

"No… Ryou… you couldn't…"

I was in disbelief. The one I truly loved had left me.

*We were meant to live*

Ryou… how could you? I am now alone in this world. I have lost my family and now the one I gave my heart to. I let his hand go and walked over to the phone.

"Moshi moshi, who's calling please?"

"Yugi? It's Bakura. Is anyone besides Atemu there?"

"Yeah, good guess. We were having a get together for the last day of school. But for you to call me… Is everything okay?"

"No… you all need to come quickly."

"Bakura? Is it something about Ryou?"

I couldn't talk anymore. I was crying too hard. I just hung up the phone and walked back to Ryou's side.

(Yugi's POV)

"Bakura? Bakura, are you there?"

No answer. I just hung up and ran back to the others.

"Who was it, Yugi?" Atemu asked kindly.

"Bakura. But no time now! I think something's wrong with Ryou!"

Everyone gasped and started getting on shoes and jackets. We all quickly made our way to Ryou's house. I hope there isn't something wrong… but Bakura couldn't even answer me… Did I hear him crying?

I knocked on the door and was horrified to see Bakura open the door with tears falling from his eyes.

"Bakura?"

He just turned away and started walking inside.

I looked at everyone else and shared their same confused but concerned looks. We all followed Bakura. I, being in front, was first to see Ryou. I was speechless as the others filed in behind me.

"What happened?" Atemu demanded.

Bakura looked up at him, still crying, and then looked back down.

I've never seen him cry before. Ryou couldn't…

"Bakura? Is…"

Bakura nodded without looking up. I gasped again and stared at Ryou's body. It was so white…

"Bakura, what happened here?" Atemu asked again, but more kindly this time.

"His condition… I tried to help…"

Condition? He never told us about any condition…

"What was his condition?" I spoke up, trying not to let the shakiness of my voice show.

Bakura glanced at me and then at everyone else. He was about to speak but swiftly turned his head to Ryou.

"Ryou?" He questioned.

We all looked in the direction of Ryou.

(Bakura's POV)

He couldn't… could he? Yes! He was! The color was returning to his face and all around.

"Ryou!"

He began to breathe, slowly but still. His eyes opened slowly and looked at me.

"B… Bakura…"

"Don't speak. It's ok, everyone is here for you."

Ryou's eyes wandered past me to the group that had just recently joined us.

"You're alive!" Yugi shouted.

Ryou smiled at them, then at me. I put a hand on his forehead to feel that he no longer had a fever. I smiled. A smile with feeling. My second ever.

"Now please get some rest." I managed through the tears of joy running down my cheeks.

He closed his eyes, not being able to do much else. I turned to everyone and they all stared at me.

"Don't like him, huh?" Atemu said mockingly.

I glared at him.

"Everyone into the living room! We need to give Ryou some time alone." I said, trying not to sound aggravated.

We all filed out, but before I left, I smiled at Ryou once more and whispered, "Sleep well, my koibito."

(THE END)

Sorry it was so bad! It was my first fic ever! Please r&r, I need some constructional criticism.