Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Meeting My Yami ❯ Isis ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wingzero: More action in this chapter.

DS: A fire. You call that action?

Wingzero: You were expecting a fight scene?

DS & Kai: Yes!

Disclaimers: Blah, blah, blah.

^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ Ryou's POV^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^

By the time we were finished getting ready, it was around ten o'clock in the morning. According to some people, we should have been out of here hours ago. Others said it was too early to do anything. Can you guess which people said that? Anyways, my group would be hitting the area around the museum while the others headed towards a duel monsters convention.

My group consisted of Malik, his yami, Seto, Mokuba, and Tristan. Bakura's group consisted of Yami, Yugi, Joey, Tea, and Pegasus. Don't ask me how we arranged it, because Yami was the one who decided. I guessed he wanted to keep an eye on Pegasus and my yami. They weren't exactly the most trustworthy people. Also he knew he should keep Seto apart from Joey if we wanted to find Malik's sister. I can tell they were starting to like each other.

As for our duel monsters, we had to leave them behind, because they would stand out of the crowd. I should really say the dragons will definitely stand out of the crowd. They protested about being left behind, but we told them we would call them if we were in any kind of danger. When we had exited the underground base, I had this bad feeling. We should have left them with supervision, but Mirai and Cyan agreed to watch over the others.

Holding my millennium ring out, I tried to pick up any signal of the millennium tauk. My ring pointers never moved from their position. They hung limply, attached to the golden circle. This cannot be a good sign. I sighed as I picked up the pace with the others racing behind me.

"Did you find anything?" Malik asked me, when he reached my side.

"No," I answered while hurrying up my search.

"Oh, I thought you found a signal," Malik said very much disappointed. Did I really get his hopes high, only to have them crashing down?

"I'm sorry," I quickly apologized to him.

For a moment, he seemed to have an internal battle. I could tell it had nothing to do with his yami as his darker half had a bored expression on his face. "It's okay." I wondered if his real self was coming out, because when we had met him, he acted like his yami and to some degree mine.

"That's good," I said with relief. The last thing I wanted was someone to hold a grudge against me. We have enough on our hands as is.

"How did you receive your millennium item?" Malik asked me, as if he was trying to start a conversation. I guessed I would be to, because it was extremely boring walking around trying to pick up a signal or something. Seto and his little brother kept to themselves. Tristan kept quiet; most likely he didn't want to end up at the wrong end of Ishtar's wrath.

"My father is an archaeologist," I answered him, glancing down at my ring every now and then. "When he went on a dig, he decided to drop by a bazaar in Egypt. A man showed him the millennium ring and told my father it had some involvement with duel monsters so naturally my father bought it. He then gave it to me, because he knew I dueled a little."

"I see," Malik said. I wondered how he received the millennium rod, when Seto's former self held onto it. "From our research, we discovered that the high priest used the millennium rod. As we know, Seto's former life was the high priest, so it should have gone to him, but I don't know how I ended up with it."

"I guessed the same with me," I shrugged. Hey, I didn't know how to answer. It was the best I can do. "I don't think Bakura held onto the millennium ring in the past."

"Neither would I," Malik said as we stopped at the curb. We patiently waited for the cross signal to come on. "If you're wondering how I received my millennium item, Shadi gave it to me. It sounds strange, doesn't it?"

"It doesn't sound strange," I said, trying not to upset him. "Maybe you were destined to hold onto it."

"I guess you could look at it that way," Malik sighed.

"Do you have any reading?" Tristan called out, interrupting our conversation.

"Not yet!" I called back to him.

Seto and Mokuba seemed to be enjoying each other's company. In fact, Seto seemed to open up whenever his little brother was around. I wished he could be like that with us. I wasn't asking for a miracle, but I would like it if he opened up a little. He doesn't have to act that warm and friendly around us. Our yamis would be hurling if they saw that.

//You could say that again, hikari.//

/You were eavesdropping on my thoughts?/ I shot back at him.

//Well, I was bored.// He replied, trying to sound completely innocent. Ha! Only Yugi could pull that off and maybe Mokuba.

/You seemed to have opened up ever since………………./

//Don't even start there.// Bakura warned me.

/Okay. Have you found any leads?/

//Nothing. You know this is getting us nowhere.//

/You never know./

//Oh really?//

/The others are calling me. I gotta go./ With that I ended our connection and returned my attention to the real world.

"You three were zoning out there," Seto scowled a little. "You should really be paying more attention to where you are going."

"I'll keep that in mind," Malik muttered. He was currently glaring daggers along with his darker half, who must have had the same thing on his mind.

"Where does your sister like to hang out?" Tristan spoke up.

"The museum," Malik shrugged. "The last time I saw her, she said something about having it fumigated for cockroaches so the museum isn't open. I don't know how long it would take to have it done, but it couldn't hurt to try."

"Why don't we try calling?" Mokuba inquired as he stopped to think for a minute.

"That would be a good idea if people didn't eavesdrop on our conversation," Ishtar said bluntly.

"He's right there," Seto agreed with Malik's yami before discussing it with his little brother. "We can't use any forms of public communication until we know we can't be tracked or spied on. It would make us easier to find."

"I see," Mokuba said, not feeling bad.

"Over here," I said motioning for them to follow me. We headed up the stairs. Once we had reached the top, I noticed my ring hadn't move. She must not be within the building or surrounding vicinity.

"She's not here," Malik grumbled. "Pest control hasn't arrived so she kept the place closed." He pointed over to a notice near the building's entrance. "Too bad we can't get rid of some pests that easily."

"I know what you mean," Seto growled at some thought of his.

"Maybe we should try the library?" I suggested. Where did that come from?

"It wouldn't hurt," Seto shrugged off his thought. "It's only a couple blocks away from here. I'd say about fifteen to twenty minutes walking."

"Why would she be there?" Tristan asked puzzled.

"Maybe she's researching something," I answered, slightly annoyed at his reluctance to go.

Malik, on the other hand, had no qualms about it as he raced down the stairs and towards the library. The rest of us blinked a few times, taking in what had just happened. Then we quickly raced down to chase after our Egyptian friend. His yami rolled his eyes as he saw our retreating backs before going to his soul room.

When we reached a corner, a sudden explosion rocked the ground. This unexpected burst caused me to land quite ungracefully on my rear end. Malik hung onto a no parking sign as Tristan caught onto the side of a building. Seto wrapped his arms around his little brother shielding Mokuba from any bodily harm.

Being the first to regain my senses and balance, I looked up towards the sky and gasped. I saw a huge column of smoke coming from the library, followed by another explosion. The second explosion was smaller compared to the first one. I wondered if there was anyone trapped within the building. Malik's mouth literally dropped to the floor as he tried to take in everything.

Soon all of us were sprinting towards the library. By the time we reached there, the structure looked completely engulfed by flames. A portion of the library, however, remained untouched. I wondered what caused this. We should investigate it. On second thought, those flames can be dangerous to my health.

"We should go there," Malik said frantically, pointing to the unburned section.

"Yeah, but how?" Tristan asked. "We don't have any of our duel monsters here and I don't know how to summon any of mine. Yugi summoned our duel monsters."

"I'm afraid to say this but he's right," I said as we watched in horror.

"The fire fighters are on their way," Seto said hanging up his cell phone. I thought we had agreed to no communication over public lines, but then we shouldn't let his fire spread.

"I have to go," Malik said with a firm tone. "My sister could be in there."

"We don't know if she is," Seto said, grabbing onto the distraught teen's arm. He pointed to my millennium ring. "She isn't in there."

Before I could open my mouth to say anything, the points on my ring suddenly flew up and pointed towards the library. The millennium tauk must be within the building, but we don't know about its holder.

Malik wretched his arm out of the billionaire's grasp and recklessly ran into the building. I couldn't believe he just did that. He was willing to risk his life to save his sister. I don't know what I would have done in his place, because I was an only child.

Time seemed to pass excruciatingly slow as Malik raced towards the burning building, kicked the door open, and dove into the opening. I didn't know whether I should stay and wait here or if I should follow him. Something told me I should follow him, because he needed my help. I have this feeling, he wouldn't make it out alive.

"What the heck!" I also ran into the building to the surprise of the others. I couldn't allow Malik to do it, by himself. After all, I had the millennium ring, which can locate the other millennium items. Sure, his millennium rod came useful when you need information, but it wasn't much of a help when it comes to locating something.

"If you wanted to control someone's mind," I said to myself. "Which we are not trying to do."

When I entered through the hole, I could barely breathe as the smoke and fire filled the air. I placed the front of my sweater on my face and raced towards the other end of the room, where I saw an open door. Malik must have gone there. My millennium ring confirmed my thoughts. I had to be careful or I'll catch on fire. Good thing my sweater wasn't flammable.

"How did he get through this place?" I gagged as I inhaled a little smoke. "It must have been the adrenaline. He wants to save his older sister."

The next room proved to be challenging as it had more wood and books being consumed by the fire. My mind raced to find a path across, but I found none. Then I realized I too had the power of the millennium item. I held it up and wished really hard that for a small path to open. Sure enough, the flames parted to form a narrow path. Not one to pass up a good opportunity, I raced through the aisle. Turning back, I saw the fire quickly spread to the path I just created.

"Kind of reminds me of the parting of the Red Sea," I said recalling this one movie. It was based on the Bible. This cold pharaoh wouldn't let God's people go. Instead he punished the Jewish slaves every single time the messenger made his request. I hoped the cold pharaoh wasn't Yami. I don't think I could handle it.

Jumping forward, I missed being shish kabob by a wooden stake as it slid off the top of a bookshelf. The base had pretty much been weakened and couldn't support the weight of the burning books. It tilted over, causing the wooden stake to shoot forward.

"If my yami could only see me now, he'll be laughing his head off," I muttered to myself. "I'm glad I'm not a vampire."

Ducking to avoid the dangling papers and other material, I sprinted forward to find the door stuck. I could have sworn Malik went this way. Picking up my millennium item, I held it up and found it pointing forward and towards the door. So I was right after all. Testing the knob turned out to be a mistake as I slightly burned my hand.

"There has to be an easier way than this," I grumbled as the ceiling started to cave in behind me. Oh shoot!! I gotta hurry or I'll end up a pancake, a very burned one as a matter of fact.

Using my millennium ring, I sent the door flying forward into the next room. As I entered the room, the ceiling behind me caved in, causing a flood of fire to head in my direction. Before I knew it, I had my hand on my ring and I was surrounded by a magical shield of some sort. The fire tidal wave soon decreased in intensity, which allowed me to head into the next room.

After narrowly avoiding falling debris, I quickly made it towards the stairs, where I found Malik prying open the door with his millennium rod. He had changed it into its blade form when I arrived there.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and shook it to get his attention. Boy, did it get his attention. He looked like he nearly had a heart attack. I shook my head and pointed to the correct direction, which was up the flight of stairs. Unfortunately, the stairs were being blocked by burning debris.

Nodding his head, he pointed his millennium rod at the debris and moved them off with little effort. I wished I could use my magic that way, but I figured out I can only use it when I was very emotional. I guessed my feelings allowed me to harness my magic. Now, if I could only do it at will. That would be great.

Once again, I held up my millennium ring. It pointed upstairs. Running up the stairs, we nearly tripped a couple of times, since there were protruding objects we didn't see. Somehow, we managed to help each other up and keep each other balanced as we headed up the flight of stairs. When we had reached the top, I glanced down at my ring. It was pointing towards a certain area. Maybe it was the one we saw earlier. Outside of the building, we noticed a small section of the building hadn't burned.

Taking my eyes off of Malik, I scanned the area. I was allowed to do it, because this area wasn't as engulfed in flames as the others. Now that I think of it, the surrounding area seemed to have fewer flames around it. Could it have something to do with that one section?

"I take my eyes off of him for one second and he disappears on me," I growled a little. In truth, I was a little frustrated, because I wouldn't have gone in if he hadn't.

Out of nowhere, Malik came charging into me, nearly knocking me down. He practically shoved the millennium tauk into my face. "I found her millennium item, but I couldn't find her." He sounded desperate and frantic. His eyes were full of tears that threatened to spill if we didn't do something and fast.

"I'll try," I tried to assure the hysterical teen. I never knew he had this side to him. At first I thought he was cold as his darker half. Now I realize, he had another side to him. One that he never showed us, because he covered it with his mask.

I concentrated on visualizing Isis. At first I couldn't remember what she looked like. Then I slowly remembered her hair style followed by her eyes. This was going to take forever. I looked over at Malik, in hopes that he has a picture.

"Do you have a picture?" I asked him.

Immediately his hand shot to his wallet and he began fumbling with it until he produced a picture of his older sister. She had on a formal dress and her hair appeared to be professionally done. What I noticed was that she didn't have the millennium tauk around her neck.

Once I was able to visualize her, my millennium ring pointed towards a small area. Malik was there in less than a second, with me a couple steps behind him. He pried open the closet door to find his sister passed out.

Not wanting to get in the way, I moved aside to allow him enough room to pick up his sister and move out of the closet. We were about to head back downstairs when the stairs gave way. The top one had crashed causing the rest of them to go with it. This was just great.

"We have to find another way down," I panicked as I was nearly fried.

"Calm down," Malik said, trying to be the level headed person. He scanned the area for any possible escape routes. Since he was holding his sister, he didn't have the use of his millennium rod. Also I wasn't skilled at using my millennium ring. It was out of luck I was able to make it this far without getting seriously injured.

"The window!" I exclaimed, getting his attention.

If we could make it to the window, we increased our chances of getting out of here alive. Nodding, Malik hurried off into a room with me tailing right behind him. I never knew that he knew this library well. Whenever I come here, I would end up lost almost every single time. I had to rely on the guides to find my way around.

Upon reaching the window, I noticed several fire trucks and ambulances parked in the parking lot. From where we stood, we could see two familiar looking hair styles. It must be Yugi and his yami. A white haired person literally jumped onto the taller of the two and was literally strangling Yami.

Everything after that became blurry and I found myself on the floor unconscious.

^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^

When I came to, I found myself in a white room with Malik across from me. We both survived the fire long enough for someone to rescue us. And here I thought we were doing the rescuing. Instead we had to be rescued.

"Aibou, what were you thinking?" my darker half scolded me. I can tell he has that look on his face. He was angry and disappointed at me.

"I was thinking Malik couldn't find his sister without the millennium ring and they would have both died if I didn't help them," I spoke softly, hoping that my yami wouldn't revert back to his old self and start hitting me again.

To my surprise, I felt two strong arms around me, holding me in a protective embrace. "You don't know how much you mean to me."

"I'm sorry," I apologized, nearly breaking down and sobbing. I didn't realize how much I loved him until now or how much he cared for me.

"I'm never letting you out of my sight," Bakura said in a firm voice. I knew he wasn't going to change his mind and no amount of reasoning will help either.

"Bakura?"

"Yes aibou?"

I couldn't believe the emotions I felt through our link. Guilt, sorrow, pain, and misery flowed as one, nearly overwhelming me. "What is our relationship?"

"I don't know," Bakura confessed. Our eyes met and we stared into each other's soul.

"I want it to be something," I too confessed. Yugi had Yami and Malik had Ishtar, I think. I have no one. Joey had Seto to some degree. Calin and Mirai were a couple.

"You would?" My darker half blinked.

"Yes," I said, not wavering in my decision.

"I thought you preferred girls," Bakura managed a small smile.

"Shut up and kiss me," I practically ordered my other half, who was more than happy to comply.

Seto: What a lame ending.

Wingzero: I would like to see you come up with a better one.

Seto: Never mind.