Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Melted ❯ A little warmth found in the snow ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(forgot this last time) Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh, if I did…why would I be writing fanfiction about it? Oo?

"Melted"

Chapter 2: "A little warmth found in the snow"

Shizuka rose from her bow, giving Seto an odd look as he just stared. "Um, are you okay?" Her soft voice broke him out of his trance, and he tried mustering a glare, narrowing his eyes. All that resulted in was looking like he was cross eyed. "Are you alright?"

She asked again, concern and a bit of wariness laced in her voice. This guy's a bit weird…

He "humphed" and muttered out an "I'm fine" as he turned, trying to avert his eyes from her pretty features. "Um, Seto…" She called out. He ignored her, and continued walking. Seto Kaiba does not get worked up over a girl… "Seto!" She called out, a bit louder this time. He once again acted like he didn't hear her, walking on towards his destination…which he didn't know exactly where that was. Especially not anyone related to the puppy…

"Seto! You're walking into…the girl's shower and locker…" She trailed off, giggling when Seto immediately rushed out, covering his tomato-red face with his hand. A shoe flew from the depths of the steamy room, just barely missing his head.

"You're a strange one." Shizuka said light heartedly, staring up at Seto, who was glaring down at her. They stayed like that for minutes, and finally, with a sigh, Seto gave up. "Come on; let me show you where our next class is…"

===============================================================

"Hello, you must be our new student." An older American lady with graying hair and warm brown eyes greeted as Seto and Shizuka walked through the door. "My name is Shizuka Katsuya." She took the outstretched hand of the teacher, "You're Mrs. Evans, right?"

"Why yes I am! And what a nice firm handshake you have my dear! You're one of a kind, I can tell!" She exclaimed in an over exuberant voice. Seto rolled his eyes, used to the eccentricities of his -their- English teacher.

"Well, since you two seem to know each other, why don't you let Shizuka sit next to you! I hear her grades were exceptional! Maybe she could tutor my best student, eh?" She winked and elbowed Seto in the stomach, bellowing heartily at a joke that only she understood, judging by the looks on the faces of Shizuka and Seto.

"Come on." Seto said gruffly, grabbing Shizuka by the elbow and showing her where her desk is.

===============================================================

The day went agonizingly slow for Seto. Although, he had to admit that he'd much rather enjoy her company than any of Yugi's little friends. Somehow, he had managed to have Shizuka's seat in class always right next to him. Damn teachers are conspiring against me…

It was currently sixth period, math, and Seto was bored out of his mind. His eyes unconsciously wandered over to Shizuka, who was sitting and reading a book after she had finished her work.

"Do you have a staring problem?" She asked, a bit of teasing underlined in her voice, which Seto failed to catch. "No," he remarked coldly, "Do you have a, a…" Seto trailed off, getting lost in her warm, chocolaty brown eyes.

The high pitched ringing of the school bell startled Seto out of his reverie, whose face flushed to ten different shades of red. He gathered his things together in a hurry, storming out of the classroom, after yelling one thing to her. "Come on, we still have to get you your locker!"

Shizuka was left sitting there, a confused look on her face. "I was only kidding…"

===============================================================

Shizuka walked out of the classroom to find Seto leaned up against the steel lockers, arms crossed over his chest. Wow...I didn't notice before, but he's kind of cute…Oh! Where did that come from?

"Have a staring problem?" Seto asked; a small smirk on his face. Shizuka scoffed, crossing her arms and giving him as best a glare as she could manage. If he can't take a joke, neither can I.

They glared at each other, both their arms crossed, neither one backing down. After a few minutes of the showdown, Shizuka heaved a sigh and threw her hands up in the air. "So why is it that you can make jokes, but you can't take them?"

Seto shrugged. "Haven't really had any real friends to joke around with I guess." Seto averted his gaze from her. He wasn't used to telling so much about himself, especially someone he had just met. I need to get away from her…

"Seto…" Shizuka said quietly, a bit of melancholy laced in her tone. It may take a little work, but I think I can soften him. He's a big softie inside. A smile came over her face as she trotted up to him, taking his arm in hers. "So, you gonna show me where my locker is?" She asked, giving him one of her best smiles.

W-why's she looking at me like that? And…why is she hanging on to me? Seto couldn't fight the small rosy blush that spread on his cheeks. "A-alright…"

===============================================================

After Seto had shown Shizuka her locker, she asked to exchange phone numbers. She wrote it on a little slip of paper, which Seto was currently staring at in his limo.

Outside, the snow white flakes pounded their fury on its sleek, black surface, prompting the driver to go outside and put the tire chains on. "Mr. Kaiba, sir?"

"Yes Walter?" He replied, still staring at the simple seven digits on the paper. "It looks like it'll be a while before we can move out. Why don't you go get something warm to drink at the school?" Isn't that your job?

Seto wordlessly got out of the limo, and made his way inside the school. As he walked past the girl's locker room, he could have sworn he heard the voice of Shizuka. Curiosity killed the cat, Seto…But the cat has nine lives…

As quiet as he could, he slinked around the wall, seeing Shizuka sitting on the bench, the pay phone in her hand. "Dad, it's snowing outside! You can't possibly expect me to walk home?"

Seto ears perked as he listened to her voice rise. "I don't have any money for the bus! No, you took it this morning because you said you were broke. Yes, I had lunch; the lady gave me a free lunch since it was my first day."

I thought she said she had forgotten her money…

"Fine! I'll walk home! But it's on your head if I end up passing out on the side walk! Not that you'd care anyway…" Shizuka added under her breath as she slammed the receiver on the hook.

He watched as she sat back down, bowing her head and running her fingers through the fiery silky tresses in a frustrated gesture. His heart felt a bit heavier as he walked out into the hallway. Walking out the door, he saw Walter finished putting the snow chains on.

"Don't leave just yet." Walter nodded as he got inside. Seto leaned up against the limo, his blue eyes watching as Shizuka walked out of the school, shielding her face from the snowy flurry.

"Hey." He called out. She turned; one brown eye shut, the other peeking out underneath her long bangs. "Seto!" She called out gratefully, running over to him. "I thought you left already! I'm so glad you're still here!"

"Need a ride, I presume?" "Would that be okay?" "I guess." He shrugged, trying to be as nonchalant as he could. "Thank you!" She practically shouted, throwing her arms around his waist and burying her face in his chest.

He heard her whimper a bit, and, although a bit awkwardly, he wrapped one arm around her middle and the other to smooth down her hair. I can tell she doesn't have a good relationship with her father…kind of reminds me of me and Mokuba.

Sniffling, she brought her head up, dewy tears still in her eyes. "Sorry about that. Just a little…trouble at home…" She trailed off, freeing herself from Seto's embrace and climbing into the limo.

Seto got in himself, looking over to see Shizuka curled up, sound asleep. Wait…I don't know where her home is…

"Walter, take us home." "Yes sir." I guess she can stay for a little while; we have to start on the project sometime anyway…

They drove on in the snowfall, one sleeping soundly, the other contemplating the new strange relationship between himself and this girl.

===============================================================

* I'd love some reviews…hell, I'd love one review. *