Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Mobile ❯ Chapter V ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mobile
 
-
 
Chapter V
 
-
 
It's time now to turn around
 
Turn a walk on this crazy ground
 
-
 
It was five o'clock when I left my office for the Kame Game Shop for the second time that day. If I had to make a guess, Delano would be there.
 
I rang the doorbell. I was greeted by a pair of violet eyes that glared upon recognition. “What do you want, Kaiba?” Delano asked.
 
“I have questions,” I declared bluntly. “I want answers.”
 
“Look, I don't have time for you to accuse me of cheating or to grill me about how I beat you,” he replied adamantly.
 
“My questions have nothing to do with that,” I responded sincerely. “My questions regard your origins—where you came from—who your are.” I paused, gazing into his eyes with a familiarity that I had long forgotten. “Who are you, Delano? Or should I say, Other Yugi?”
 
I was watching him closely. As I'd said, `Other Yugi,' there was a sharp intake of breath, just barely noticeable to the human eye. His lips pressed together firmly. “Yugi,” he called over his shoulder. “I'm going for a walk. I'll be back soon.” Delano shut the door behind him. “Shall we?” he asked, gesturing towards the sidewalk.
 
We walked in silence for several minutes. Our pace was slow, almost hesitant. I had so many questions; I didn't know to start. But the one I'd been most burning to ask—
 
“You recognized me as soon as you saw me, didn't you?” Delano asked quietly. Damn. Wasn't I supposed to be the one asking him questions?
 
I shrugged. “I suppose I did. I refused to believe it at first. But I knew all along.”
 
Delano smiled wryly. “I could tell by the way you looked at me.”
 
“I thought you were dead,” I retorted.
 
“I was. But I got another chance.”
 
-
 
Everything's changing
 
When I turn around
 
All out of my control
 
I'm a mobile
 
Everything's changing
 
Everywhere I go,
 
Out of what I know
 
-
 
Another chance?” I scoffed. “You've already had two chances. Most people are lucky to get one chance to live their life and reach their potential.”
 
“Neither of which I had the opportunity.” He sighed. His blond hair draped over his pale face and shadowed his eyes. “You have to understand, Kaiba—in Egypt, I died as a teenager. With Yugi, I had a mere two years in a half-life that was never really mine. I couldn't impede on his ability to achieve his potential simply because I was robbed the chance to life myself.”
 
“That doesn't make any sense!” I shouted angrily. “How could you just leave everyone behind without even saying goodbye? Didn't your friends care that you were gone? Didn't Yugi care?”
 
“You are such a hypocrite, Seto Kaiba!” he replied furiously. His eyes were blazing. “After Alcatraz you left without a trace. If you had returned to Domino like everyone else, you would have known that I was leaving for the afterlife.”
 
“So nobody bothered to tell me that my greatest rival, the only person I acknowledge besides myself as a true duelist, was about to travel to the next world?”
 
“Like I said, Kaiba, we didn't know where you went. By the time Yugi learned that you were in America I was already long gone.”
 
I sighed. “How could you give up your life? Weren't you and your friends the ones who preached to me about not giving of my life like a meaningless chip?”
 
“My life was not a gamble. My existence meant stunting Yugi's growth as an individual who has the capability to make worthwhile contributions to this world.”
 
I smirked. “I'm afraid it was already too late for that—Yugi's growth was stunted before his body became your host.”
 
Delano's eyes narrowed. “You know what I meant, Kaiba,” he growled. “But back to my earlier point—I didn't leave anyone behind. I made my goodbyes to everyone who wanted to be there when I moved on to the afterlife. It was you who left without goodbyes; you were the one who ran away. What were you running away from, Kaiba?”
 
“Who said that I didn't want to be there when my rival passed on?” I snapped, changing the subject.
 
“The statement made by your absence was loud and clear.”
 
“I would have been there if I had known.”
 
“Then why did you run away after Alcatraz?”
 
My fists, which I hadn't realized were clenched, fell to my side. “I couldn't get rid of the anger after our duel. Even after you told me that my anger was the only thing holding me back…I couldn't do it. I thought if I forgot about you, my anger would eventually subside.”
 
Delano's eyes softened. He looked…sad. “Did you really hate me that much, Kaiba? Will we always be nothing but rivals?”
 
I shook my head. “No. I realized…the person I was really angry at was me. I hated myself for having these feelings of anger and hostility in the first place—I hated myself because—”
 
I stopped abruptly. I didn't know what to tell him. I hated myself for having these indescribable feelings—I hated myself for caring about him—I hated myself for everything between us that was left unsaid.
 
-
 
Hanging from the ceiling
 
Life's on the rise
 
Spinning around with mixed feelings
 
Crazy and wild
 
Sometimes I wanna scream out loud
 
-
 
“I just—I just—” I didn't know what to say. So I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. We stared at each other. His eyes were wide now, surprised by my actions.
 
“Kaiba, what are you—?”
 
I pressed my lips against his. For a fleeting instant I feared that he was going to shove me away, but he relaxed and pulled me in closer. For the first time in a long time, I felt alive. Other Yugi had always made me feel that way.
 
Soon oxygen became a necessity and we pulled away from each other, gasping for air.
 
“That's why I ran away,” I said quietly. “I couldn't deal with my emotions. They were never my strong point.”
 
Delano nodded silently. Then, a brilliant smile shone on his face. “It's okay, Seto,” he spoke softly. “Although the past is the foundation of our present, it will not confine us to the same blueprint unless we allow it to. Together, we can learn from our past mistakes and build a better, brighter future.”
 
He was offering me a phenomenal opportunity—one that would not only change my life, but would change who I am.
 
I would, quintessentially, be the same person. But maybe I'd start to see things a little differently. Maybe I could learn to deal with my emotions a little better. And, most importantly, I could learn to care for someone besides Mokuba.
 
“I just want to warn you,” I told him, “not to expect any miracles.”
 
Delano grasped my shoulders firmly and looked straight into my eyes. “Seto Kaiba, you are a miracle. The fact that you survived my mind crush when we first met and managed to rebuild your heart is a miracle in itself. But I always knew you were capable of creating miracles.”
 
-
 
Everything's changing
 
When I turn around
 
All out of my control
 
I'm a mobile
 
Everything's changing
 
Everywhere I go,
 
Out of what I know
 
-
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
 
Well, this is the end. I hope you enjoyed it.
 
I know, it was kinda corny/sappy. Ugh, when did I get so sappy?
 
Um…sorry about the long wait. I really struggled with the end. I just didn't know how I wanted to end it, and kept changing my mind about how I'd written it. Then I got busy, forgot about it, came back to it, and hopefully finished it to a decent standard.
 
Initially, I expected this piece to be a lot longer. I'm not sure if I developed it as much as I would have liked, but I guess it's acceptable enough that somebody out there will like it. It was just one of those plot bunnies that I couldn't shake off.
 
Please Review. I'd love to hear what you thought of my story.