Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ My Last Breath ❯ My Last Breath ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Songfic!! Enjoy
 
Standard disclaimers apply!!
 
My Last Breath
 
As if in slow motion I see the man with the gun. You're going to die and there is nothing I can do to stop it. It's not fair, you have so much more to live for. Screaming your name I run for you and I get there just in time. I feel the bullets hit me and I fall. Down, down to black depths. Opening my eyes your face swims into view and I cherish its sweet contours.
 
Hold on to me love
 
I whisper this as I feel your arms tighten to assure you are there. You're talking to me as tears gather in your beautiful ice blue eyes. You tell me I'm going to make it, that I'm strong; you can't accept the fact that I'll be leaving. Don't let me go; keep holding on to me.
 
You know I can't stay long
 
Deep down you know I'm almost gone, you don't want to admit it though. Everything is starting to get dark at the edges and go out of focus, I cling to you tighter trying to anchor myself just long enough to tell you what I need to pass on before I go.
 
All I wanted to say was I love you and I'm not afraid
 
You shake your head in denial, you don't want it to be true, you don't want me to depart. I try to give you some sort of sign to tell you that I'm glad it's me and not you but even if I could you wouldn't listen.
 
Can you hear me?
 
This I wonder as I struggle to stay with you as long as possible, to prolong this last moment forever if that was doable. I fight hard against the pain and the numbness spreading through me.
 
Can you feel me in your arms?
 
You hold me as if I weigh nothing, can you not sense my body in your embrace? Sobs choke your voice as you continue telling me things in a soft soothing tone. I wish you would yell in rage so that I would not feel like I was being lulled into sleep, I don't want to go yet. Stop talking.
 
Holding my last breath
Safe inside myself
Are all my thoughts of you
Sweet raptured light
It ends here tonight
 
Everything I have I give to stay with you, I don't want to abandon you now. I'm staying here as long as I can. You were the thing that kept me going through all the hard times, you, my beautiful bright sunbeam that made everything wonderful. Now, too soon, it will all end, right here, before the night is out. I don't want to leave but I know that it's what's for the best. Knowing that you are alive is enough consolation.
 
I'll miss the winter
 
This comes out barely louder than a breath, it's just something that's in my mind, something that I know is true. We met in the winter; you made it my favorite season.
 
A world of fragile things
 
You always were in awe of how small I was, how delicate, you thought that anything could hurt me. Like many of the things of winter was I, like the icicles that hang from the roof edges with their own special beauty, one of those perfect mornings where you look out the window and it seems a miracle. That's what you told me.
 
Look for me in the white forest
 
…the one where we met. Where we danced together. Where our names are carved in the bark of the white birch tree. Where we had so many fun times. The spot where we told each other our deepest secrets. It's a pure place.
 
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
 
I will wait for you at our meeting place. The hollow tree at the edge of the water where we shared our first kiss, there you will find me.
 
I know you can hear me
 
You tremble and hold me closer and I let my eyes drift shut as I hear my heart slow down even more. I won't be here much longer; we both understand this fact.
 
I can taste it in your tears
 
I draw another shallow breath as one of your many tears fall and land on my face, I can barely feel it slip down and end at the corner of my mouth. In that one tiny drop of salt water made from your anguish I can taste the deepness of your sorrow and I wish I could take it all away.
 
Holding my last breath
Safe inside myself
Are all my thoughts of you
Sweet raptured light
It ends here tonight
 
Releasing that breath I feel myself relax and my spirit slowly detaches itself from any restraint and floats free to meet with the person who will be leading me to where I am to go. I don't want to leave but you need to know that I have no choice, I must.
 
You close your eyes to disappear
 
It's now two years later and it still feels like it just happened. You shut your eyes hoping to shut out everything else but you are never successful. It is your wish to disappear, to no longer have to feel this awful pain. You never do.
 
You pray your dream will leave you here
 
By now you have figured out that it's not reality that it's just another dream, you know this because two years ago you were the one who dropped the first handful of dirt on my coffin in the ground. I watched you. You don't want to leave this nightmare, you want to stay here, because if you stay here it will always stay just a dream and you can pretend when you wake I'll be there.
 
But still you wake and know the truth
 
All too soon you will snap awake from your nightmare and sit up in bed sweat soaking your skin as you look around hoping to find me there. Yearning to see me there with my arms open able to take you in.
 
No one's there
 
At least no one you can see with your eyes and touch with your hands. I am here, I see everything you do and make sure you are never truly alone. If I could I would hold you, but I can't.
 
Say goodnight
 
You squeeze your eyes tightly shut and wrap your arms around yourself, it's your way of preparing for what is to come. My heart and soul cry out for you as I come closer to you. You lie down and clutch the pillow to you trying to convince yourself that this time you will be able to go to sleep and not dream of me.
 
Don't be afraid
 
I think this as I surround you in my presence and try to sooth away all your pain.
 
Calling me calling me as you fade to black
 
As you begin to fall into the recesses of sleep you call out my name and I want more than anything to be with you.
 
 
R&R