Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ My Promise ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

30: Epilogue.
 
Disclaimer: Yu-Gi-Oh isn't mine, blablabla.
 
Endnote: Finally, it's done. I really appreciated all reviews I ever received for this fic, so thanks everyone! I hope you all enjoyed this story over the -gasp- past 2 year!
 
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#* #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*
 
“Ryou! Where are you?!” I heard someone yell at me. They were probably thinking I fell a sleep somewhere else, since I wasn't in my bed anymore. Usually I get up at 8 nowadays, but today I thought I could get up a little bit earlier, so I could finish my latest letter.
 
“Ryou! Why aren't you in your bed? It's 7 o'clock for goodness sake!” I suddenly heard the voice coming downstairs. I thought a moment about hiding the letter I was making, but rethought then. Why hide it? My last letter was written more than 2 weeks ago, and he was probably thrilled if I would send another letter.
 
But before everyone comes down again, and ruin the calm atmosphere which I was writing in, or something along that line, I think I should introduce myself to you all. That would make thing a lot easier, don't you think?
 
I'm Bakura Ryou, but please call me Ryou. I'm 17 years old, B-day is 2nd of September, I have an IQ of over 140 according to the latest test on my high school -I could only enter Domino High if I got a high score for a local test, and had a reasonable IQ. I did, obviously- but then again, I also have some things which aren't quite normal. Like I look like an albino, but I'm not an albino. Has something to do with my genes. I'm also wanted in over 25 countries. No, make that 5. Since they heard I was falsely accused of murderer in several countries, which caused me to flee. Anyway, my favorite TV-show is still `Underway to Golden Times', and my favorite game is definitely `Duel Monsters'.
 
I live in a big house in Domino. We're one of the richest families here, because my dad works as an archeology in Egypt. It's really beautiful in there. I've been there too, you know. With my boyfriend -yes, you read it well. I'm gay- when I was 16. I'll never forget that place again. No wonder Malik keeps on saying his heart lies in Egypt. I think my heart lies here, but I love Egypt anyway.
 
Further, I don't have much real family. I AM getting more and more friends nowadays, but it's not really progressing. I'm still damn shy, and only good for pouting and blushing every time the Yugi-squad makes an embarrassing comment. My only family is my dad. He's cool though. He loves me very much, and although we shared bad contact in the past, we fixed our relationship and we're now stronger than ever. I'm proud to see him as my dad now.
 
I did have a mother and a sister too. Unfortunately both of them died when I was still a kid. Both are buried at the Domino's cemetery, and I visit them every week. Strange to tell, but I just know they're watching over me. I'm pretty sure they're my guardian-angels. After all, I consider myself as one of the luckiest boys on earth.
 
I guess this is all you need to know. I mean, I can't tell much more now, since I hear someone coming off the stairs.
 
“Ryou!” I heard the voice now quite near the kitchen. I was about to stand up and announce I was here, when the door opened, and an extremely sleepy Bakura peered through the opening. I smiled softly at him, before answering.
 
“Hey, aren't you looking sexy this morning. Ghihih, wanna have coffee?” I giggled, pointing out at his hair, what was now more a copy of Yugi's anti-gravity style than my style, which was flat and neatly combed.
 
“I haven't had time to comb my hair, Ry-chan! Anyway ... need help with the letter?” He asked, pouting a bit while trying to put his hair down to normal with his hand. I smiled at him in return.
 
“No, I'm almost ready. Besides, I still haven't told father you're real, because he would surely freak out.” I wrote two more lines, before adding my name at the bottom of the letter. There, all done. Then I stood up, walked over to Bakura, pecked his cheek, before making a funky twirl while walking up the stairs. A few seconds later I heard Bakura follow me, though he wasn't as quick as I was. Probably the stitches he still had on his back.
 
“I'll change first, and then we can walk to school. We'll be earlier than usual, even if we walk slowly, but I don't mind that. Perhaps we can play a duel before school starts.” I said when I was upstairs. When Bakura mentally nodded, still coming up the stairs, I walked to our bedroom, and grabbed the two bundles of clothes I put there yesterday night.
 
Now, before you all quit reading this epilogue, I think I need to do some explaining, right? Okay, here goes:
 
Bakura survived.
 
There, isn't that a neat explanation, heh, heh. Erm, never mind me. I'll explain some more. Remember that time when I thought he was gone? Well, when his heart was about to die, I slapped him so hard, some impulses ran through his mind again, and his heart began to beat faster, which caused him to wake up ... or something along that line. Doctors have explained it more than 5 times to me, still I don't understand. I merely know that I'm the happiest boy on earth now. Not only Bakura was back again, but I fulfilled our stupid promise as well. Both of us did agree not to promise such things again, though I'm sure Bakura would jump in front of a car again if he could save my life.
 
Bakura was in a coma for about a good 5 weeks. Those weeks were the most terrible ones in my whole life. But he survived, and now I'm happy again.
 
Bakura is now totally recovered, besides the stitches which are going to be removed within 2 days. He still has headaches from time to time, and he isn't as fast as he used to be, but we're both grateful he's still alive.
 
And today, it's exactly a week ago he came out of the hospital. From that moment everything has been heaven for me. When Bakura was still in hospital, I kept on leaning on my `friends', and I'm very grateful they let me lean. They all took care of me, and now Bakura has woken up, I could finally be happy around them. I didn't need to fear them anymore, because the police didn't want me anymore. They were happy with the explanation Malik, Marik and the Millennium-Rod did a few weeks ago.
 
“Ryou!” I heard Bakura pout from what I think is the bathroom, interrupting my thoughts, while waiting for me to arrive. I smiled to no-one particularly and run down the hallway again, this time with our bundle of clothes.
 
“I'm ... here!” I flashed him another smile, before giving him his clothes. He rolled his eyes as he saw my baby-blue underwear. No comment please.
 
When I had finished dressing, I helped Bakura, because he could bend as flexible as usual. Damn those stitches. Luckily Bakura was having a good mood today, so he didn't mind it one single bit when I helped him into his uniform. Probably because he had to touch him around area's I usually not-so-accidentally omitted when we were kissing. Again, no comment please.
 
When we were ready, and Bakura was combing his hair, I just turned around and began walking to the door. I still need to find an envelope to put the letter for my dad in. That, and a stamp. I was almost in the hallways again, when Bakura suddenly grabbed my arm, and pulled my back into the bathroom once more.
 
“What?” I glared at him, though I was sure it was more a playful glare. I can't glare cold. Only Seto and Bakura give people cold glares these days, I think.
 
“I didn't get a morning-kiss yet.” He smirked again, when I rolled my eyes, before I quickly pushed my head towards his, and crushed our mouths together. Of course when I was about to pull away again, I felt Bakura's hands slip around my waist, and pulled my closer, before deepening the kiss. Oh, I think I just mentally rolled my eyes.
 
-Bakura!- I mentally whined, but when I felt his tongue ran softly on my lips, I blocked all my control-freak-a-like thoughts on how to find that envelope and stamp before I had to leave for school, and opened my mouth almost hastily. Gods, how addicting can kissing be?
 
When his tongue entered my mouth, I couldn't help myself but moan softly. He slowly ran his tongue over my own tongue, before exploring the rest of my mouth, slowly, and sensually, turning me almost completely on. Keyword: Almost.
 
I pulled myself away from him, still a bit dazed. Yet I smirked as I felt Bakura fuming from inside. Heh, heh. He doesn't like it when I stop kissing him all of a sudden, and he knows I know that. Oh, I'm so mean sometimes!
 
“There, all done. Now I wanna find that stamp!” I cheered happily, already knowing Bakura was pretty pissed off after my little stunt. But payback-time would have to wait a little bit longer. Heh, heh. Now ... where can I find that stamp?
 
o0~0o
 
“Baku! I'm done!” I squeaked happily, imitating Yugi when he was hyper perfectly, while waving the letter in front of Bakura, totally pissing him off. I giggled sweetly as he grabbed my card, eyed it for a second, then giving it back to me. I was currently sitting at the kitchen-table, just finished putting the damn stamp on the envelope -it took me nearly an hour before I found the stamps again!-, while Bakura sat on the kitchen-table, sipping coffee.
 
“Your father must be happy with this. It's nice,” He gave in, smiling back to me, while taking another sip of his coffee, before continuing talking, this time much cockier than earlier, “Of course you already missed today's collection. The mailman always collects at 7, and now it's almost 8. Means your father has to wait at least one more day before reading that damn letter!”
 
He smirked a bit, looking over his mug to me, while I smiled amused at him. He was right, but nor me nor Bakura and probably nor my dad didn't care when the letter would arrive. My dad didn't even know I was sending him another letter in the first place!
 
“If only you can sleep tonight knowing my letter will arrive a day later, Bakura,” I replied a bit sarcastic, but Bakura knew it was my way to be `funny', “I'm gonna pack my stuff now, so we can leave for school.” I said, while dumping the letter on the kitchen-table. I'll post it this afternoon, and if I forget it, then so be it. I don't care much when it'll arrive, as long as my dad will receive it in the end.
 
Then I walked over to the living-room, where my schoolbag was probably located, next to Bakura's one. We didn't do our homework yesterday, because Bakura made up this crazy game yesterday. Every time I got a question right, he kissed me. Yeah I know, a -very!- good way to pass the time.
 
Now I think if it, yesterday that silly game sounded WAY more important than a couple of assignments. Oh bad me. This would be probably be the first time I wouldn't do my homework, while Bakura never really did his. I guess he merely went to school to spend more time with me. Gods, so sweet, don't you think?!
 
“Ry-chan! C'mon, I wanna go-oh!” I heard Bakura whine from out of the kitchen. I smiled to no-one special, before grabbing both bags, then returning to the kitchen. I gave Bakura his own bag, before opening mine and putting my lunch in it. Bakura did the same, yet instead of the apple and sandwich I put in my bag, he put in a box of chocolate cookies and a coke.
 
When Bakura grabbed his mug before putting it in the sink, the doorbell rang. Must be Jou. He always stops at my door, to pick me and Bakura up to walk to school together. Though he is quite early today. Not that I mind, because I'm early as well.
 
“I'll get it!” Bakura suddenly smiled widely, before dashing forwards, to the door. I sighed softly, walking over to the sink and washing Bakura's mug a bit. The dish-washer wasn't used much, and if I didn't soak the mug right now, there would be stains in it later. And I hated stains.
 
“RYOU!!” I heard Bakura yell for me, probably to get my attention. It must have been Jou ringing the door-bell, since I didn't have mush visitors in the early morning, right before I go to school. I stopped rinsing the mug, walked over to the hallways, and checked if all the lights were out. Then I walked to my shoes, which I put on within 20 seconds, then made my way to the front door. Yups, Jou already. That mop of blond could be recognized everywhere, I swear!
 
“Hello, Jou!” I smiled at him, getting 2 smiles back in return. Yes, Bakura was smiling at me too, but he did that often, so I wasn't surprised by the action.
 
“Can we GO now, dudes?! Wanted to go to school early, `cause Yugi promised to duel with me before school starts, and so I thought `why not show up early at Ryou's, perhaps they're awake too'. And I'm right, heh, heh. !” Jou spoke up, smiling fully now while hopping from leg to leg, as if something bad would happen if he stopped moving for a second. Heh, heh. Jou has always been so active. Same as Bakura. I am pretty active, but I could never match them.
 
“Yeah, Ry-chan! I wanna see that duel, and then cheer for Jou. It's always cool to see the little midget loose!!! HAHAH! Now let's go!” Bakura hyper-actively smiled at Jou and me, before grabbing my hand, and walking forward in a fast pace. Not too difficult to keep up with, since we always walked fast. Jou loved to run, and Bakura was merely sugar-high from his coffee I guess.
 
We walked for little 10 minutes, and viola, we were there. The school ground was still pretty much deserted, because well, school would start an hour later than now. Yet Yugi and most of the `co.' were here already. They `co.' Included Yami, Malik, Marik, Anzu and Honda. Jou immediate ran to them, getting quite cheerful `good-morning's and `ready to loose form Yugi again?'s. Next to me Bakura had come to a halt, probably only to wait for me. You see, because my stamina was, well, extremely low, I could not quite keep up with both Bakura's and Jou's jogging, so I kind of showed up 1 minute after both Bakura and Jou arrived. Heh, heh. Never say I won't fail in PE.
 
“Come-one Ryou... we need to work on your condition one of these days though. So.. ready to help Jou beat the little midget?” Bakura's almost maniacally smile caused me to break down smiling like no tomorrow. I could still feel the pain I carried with me when I was without Bakura for a good 4 weeks, so every moment I had with Bakura now I treasured double.
 
“Sure thing, `Kura.” I offered him my hand, resulting we both entwined our fingers together once again. It felt good to feel Bakura's warm hands again, instead of those cold almost-lifeless hands back in the hospital.
 
“Ryou, Bakura, good morning! You made it JUST in time to watch the duel!” When Malik spotted me, there was no escape. Though I was happy that they could see Bakura now. And Malik took the news, about me and Bakura being together, well in the end. Appeared he wasn't interested in me in that way! And to think me and Bakura had quite hated him because we thought he DID! Heh, heh.
 
“I know, I know. That's why we're here to soon. A day with waking up early enough to see Yugi getting defeated by Jou, is a good day.” Bakura answered for me, and our reason for showing up early was immediately clear. Luckily Yugi didn't mind it much, because he was now used to Bakura's sometimes strange behavior, comments and remarks.
 
Jou, on the other hand, was getting happier and happier, because he knew that if Bakura was on his side, Bakura somehow always managed that person to win. Perhaps it was magic, perhaps it was luck, but I knew it was more of the fact Bakura would distract them within 5 minutes, and then put a very good card, which would help Jou to win, on top of his pile of cards.
 
Funny to see that nor Yugi, nor Jou, nor the rest of the group never noticed it. Or perhaps they did notice, but merely wanted Bakura to be happy. Which he usually was when one defeated Yugi or Yami.
 
“Oh Ryou, before I forget,” Suddenly Jou put down all his cards, facing me. Oh boy, if Jou stopped his duel for a moment, then he was serious, “I want to hear your complete story too one day.”
 
What?
 
“What?” He wanted to actually hear that 12-hour story about me and Bakura? Wouldn't that be... completely boring for him?
 
“I figured out we were friends in our childhood, yet I can't seem to remember a thing... so if you tell me the things we did, perhaps I can remember those memories again!” Oh god, of course he wasn't interested in me, only in his own memories. Ugh. Hmm, well, I guess I can answer that for him, heh, heh.
 
“I can say this quite short. We met because your gang used to beat me up. When I fought back because you were hurting a little kid, and almost punched into hospital, you wanted me to be your friend. Then we beat up our teacher, resulting I was send to Winchester. You send me 2 more letters, which I still have on the attic, before you never wrote me again. End.”
 
“I... I umm..” I couldn't help myself but to grin widely at Jou's sad and confused face.
 
“I didn't mind it though. You were a great friend of mine, and I enjoyed the time we shared together. Just... just don't expect me to beat up a teacher if you ask me again.” Jou's trademark smile came back in no-time.
 
“Got it.”
 
“Great. Now continue your duel.” I said, pointing out to his cards. He nodded, and grabbed his cards again. Yet before he put down a card into play, he turned around one last time to me.
 
“I still want to hear that story, and I think other want to hear it too. You have had quite an interesting life, Ryou.”
 
And I? I smiled at him.
 
“Hey! Why should Ryou tell his story again? I can tell mine too, you know! It's twice as cool, because Ryou's story doesn't involve pesky pharaohs and mighty gods!” Bakura suddenly began countering back, resulting the duel was interrupted twice already. Yugi began snickering quietly, while the others couldn't help themselves but to grin too.
 
“Don't laugh, it's true! Don't you all want to know what happened with me when Ryou was away? Don't you all wanna know how I adjusted to my new life here in Domino? And don't you all wanna know my cool nickname I made up for Ryou? And of course I would be telling you every little sappy details and things Ryou perhaps forgot.”
 
“Hahah, like what?!” Jou couldn't keep his mouth shut, thus a discussion started.
 
“Ever heard of Ryou's babysitter? Ryou told me back in Winchester he forgot her, but I didn't!”
 
“Emm Bakura, I remember Mai.” I carried on the discussion, earning few looks from the rest.
 
“Heh, heh. We know a Mai too.” Oh, another deja-vu idea?
 
“Well, perhaps she's the same.” I smiled, yet it seemed like I said the wrong words.
 
“Our Mai would never baby-sit someone! Besides, how big is the chance our Mai is your babysitter Mai?”
 
“How big is the chance you have met almost everyone from our class in Europe?” I countered back, not caring if I earned more confused looks.
 
“Look.. I'll tell you when I tell my story.” This time people actually smiled at me. Though I think they'll be surprised if they find out I really met almost everyone from this class in Europe.
 
“But my story? No offence Ryou, but what about my story?! Don't you all want to know how I got Ryou's address from Winchester, and then send myself to him?! That's waaay more interesting than Keith blackmailing Ryou!”
 
“Didn't Kaiba say he gave you the address?” Jou asked, not focusing on the duel anymore, which caused him to loose another 500 life-points. I guess Bakura wasn't supporting him anymore, heh, heh.
 
“... Well, it was still hard to get!” Bakura then almost started to pout, so I moved over to his place, putting my hand on his shoulder in the progress.
 
“Of course it was. You taught yourself to read and write in order to come to me again. That's very sweet of you.” I said, earning a look from Bakura. I guess I just achieved a kiss tonight.
 
For a moment, we were both lost in each other's eyes. That moment did not last long, by the way.
 
“Ryou.”
 
“Money-bags, long time no see,” Bakura happily remarked as Jou immediately tried to cover up his laughter, probably because Bakura had such an extended vocabulary for naming one other, “Ever seen Yugi loose in a duel? Well, this is your chance, because Jou here is winning!” Bakura grin widened, while checking the score. 3900-150 for Yugi. Ah, Bakura could fix that score in no-time.
 
“Ryou's presence is required in the director's office. There is someone who would like to speak to him. It's no-one from the police though.” He looked at me as he spoke. Hmm, who could it be?
 
“Thanks, Seto.” I said, and then moved towards the school building. This did not quite succeed.
 
“Ryou, I'll come and see you in a moment. A guest for you is a guest for me.” Bakura said, probably planning to slip the winning card for Jou in his deck in a moment.
 
“Ryou, don't forget that story, do you?” Jou's remark came right after Bakura's reply. I just nodded, before walking off again. Which still didn't succeed.
 
“Story? You mean that story Mokuba listened to for almost an hour?” This time it was Seto who talked to me, thus I turned around to face them again. I guess the person at the office had to wait just a little longer.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Then you should tell me as well.”
 
“Hey! I'm not going to sit and listen with KAIBA to your story!” Jou started do get angry again, yet Bakura let the opportunity pass to slip the winning card in his deck.
 
“Grow up, mutt. Ryou had spent 12 hours telling that story. I won't let him do that another 2 times.”
 
“Don't tell me to grow up! And I KNOW Ryou spent 12 hours telling it, that's why I said I don't want you to sit around me while Ryou tells the story!”
 
“Guys!” This was the point where I stepped in. Before another fight began between the two of them, I hastily threw in a yell, while grabbing my backpack.. ohh, I think I still have it in my wallet..
 
“You ... you shouldn't fight with each other, because I think I'll tell the story one more last time. More for Bakura than for you all of course. I-.. oh, I've found it. Well, Jou, you can have this. Enjoy it. I have to go now.” I said, gave Jou the little picture I copied form my photo-book a few days ago just in case, than turned around to continue my way to the office.
 
Just for information, I gave them the picture of us 3, right before things between them went wrong. Yes, it was a copy of the picture where we were all 3 being photographed, right before I went to England. Perhaps if I told them my story again, they could finally work things out. Ahh, that would be nice.
 
And if things were going better already, I heard Jou and Seto not continue their fight. Nice indeed.
 
5 minutes later I arrived at the office. Well, who-ever this was, he or she has had to wait little longer than planned. Ah well, you cannot have everything.
 
And so I opened the door, only to see my father.
 
Wait... FATHER?
 
“What are YOU doing here?!” I nearly screamed. When was the last time I saw him in real life? 3, 4 years ago?! And now he just shows up, just like this?!
 
“Son.” He said. He looked tired. Tired, and old. I guess he aged those last years. Well, I grew up as well, so that makes the two of us older than before.
 
“I.. I was planning on sending you another letter, father.” I said, closing the door behind me. This was private.
 
“I read your earlier ones ... I was happy to hear you were still alive after you.. well, there are things I don't understand. Since when do you have a brother?”
 
“Erm..” Well, I tried telling him a bit about Bakura, but didn't tell him everything. I guess I wanted to wait for the right moment. Which was now, I guess.
 
“Other would understand it if we were just brothers.” I began, but figured out this would only cause more questions.
 
“Who is that boy, Ryou? Is he the one who send me that messy letter after 9 years? Is he the reason why you left Winchester without contacting anyone until 2 years after that?” There was no way denying this, so I could just better tell him the truth. And guess what? I didn't hate telling it. It almost sounded ... sounded like this was the right moment to tell my father about Bakura.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Who is he?”
 
“My boyfriend.” That would explain most parts, I guess.
 
“Your-... b-bo-BOYfriend?!”
 
“He fell into a coma a few weeks ago, and I didn't want to cause much commotion, so I said he was my brother for the time being. I'm sorry I lied, but there was no other choice.”
 
“Wha... who... who IS this boy, Ryou? He... he changed you, he...” When father couldn't quite speak in sentences anymore, I decided to let it sink in for a moment. After all, how often does your own son, not seen in 3 or even more years, simply says he has a boyfriend, which caused him to change?
 
Ah, but it happened to me in the end. In the end I -indeed- changed. And technically I began changing right from the beginning. Right after I sat in my tree-house licking that lolly, and heard the soft singing from above. As if an angel appeared in my life, I guess. And just because I had the Ring, I could see him.
 
And the bond kept on growing. We faced things together. Jou, Hirutani, my abusive teacher, parents, death ... and then we lost sight of each other for 9 years.
 
And the bond kept on growing.
 
We escaped Winchester, traveled all the way through Europe, fell in love, confessed that love, entwined our hands in a bed in Paris, and continued traveling before going home again. Then we faced new friends, a terrible car-accident, and the 4 worst weeks in my entire life. Then I completed my promise by saving Bakura's life...
 
And right now, my father is standing in front of me who I had lost somewhere along the way. And by hearing the loud footsteps in the still-empty hallway, I noticed Bakura was coming to me again.
 
Right now, I think my journey has come to an end. From my 6th until now, my 17th, I traveled very much and long. From Japan to Winchester, from Winchester to Europe, from Europe to Egypt, and from Egypt to home. And back home I kept on continuing my journey. First that car-accident, then the 4 weeks, then the completion of my promise...
 
Wow, sounds like a happy ending of my story. Yes, I could say that again. A happy ending of my story/ Perhaps I would mention it to Jou, Seto and Bakura if I would tell it again. That right now, this would be the end of my story.
 
But then again..
 
“Ryou, sorry to keep you waiting but.. hey, isn't that your dad?”
 
Where is an end...
 
“Dad, remember Bakura, my `imagination-friend' from when I was 6?”
 
There's also a new beginning.