Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Dreams ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

~*~*~

Chapter Three

Seto Kaiba had just finished a major business deal. All the hard work he'd poured into it had been worth it. So as a result the tall blue-eyed brunette was in a rare good mood. It had just gone ten o' clock when he decided to get some fresh air before going home.

Whether it was luck or fate that made him pause outside that alleyway we'll never know. But Kaiba never regretted stopping.

"Hand over your money."

Kaiba paused. Then he heard a soft voice.

"But I haven't got anything." A small sob.

"No money? Well then what have you got."

"I haven't got anything else."

He heard a thud. Kaiba shook his head and walked down the alley. He blinked to accustom his eyes to the dim light.

"Well now, you're a pretty boy aren't you? Couldn't see you under that coat." Kaiba heard a muffled cry. "I'm going to enjoy this, pretty one."

"Leave him alone."

The brute turned around and threw the boy hard by his wrists against the alley wall. His head impacted with a metal pipe, knocking him into unconsciousness.

"Oh so you want to play as well do you?" The brute grinned. He walked up to Kaiba arrogantly and stuck a finger in his face. "If you know what's good for you you'll..erp! AAARGH!!"

Kaiba's hand shot out and grabbed the brute's outstretched wrist and with a twist broke it. He kneed him in the groin, making the brute double and grunt in pain. Then Kaiba spun around and kicked him in the jaw, shattering the bone and knocking him out. With the other hand he flipped open his phone and dialed the police.

He went to the prone youth and checked his pulse. When he turned him over he gasped.

"Utsukushii!"

Regardless of who the other man was he certainly got one thing right. This boy was very pretty. He's.....he's beautiful.

His phone was answered.

"This is Seto Kaiba. Please send a car to the alley behind KaibaCorp. There is someone I want you to pick up. I don't want him to see the light of day again. Have him charged with the following." He listed off the instructions and hung up. The second phone call was to his driver. The third call was to his private doctor with instructions for the man to come immediately to the Kaiba mansion.

The large black limousine drew up alongside the alley barely moments after the police had been and gone. The driver got out and held the door open while Kaiba gently lifted the boy up and carried into the car's softly lit interior.

The twenty minute drive to Kaiba's mansion was silent and tense. The brunette youth held the boy in his arms and stroked his hair, wondering who the boy was and why the smaller youth was affecting him so much.

"We're here Sir." The driver said through the open door when Kaiba made no move to exit the car.

"Hmmn. Oh, Thank you." He said. Carrying the hurt youth out of the car and into the house. He laid him on a large bed in one of the numerous extra rooms. It also happened to be the closet one to Kaiba's. He told himself that it was so he could keep an eye on the injured boy.

There was a knock on the door.

"Enter."

It was one of his staff. "Sir, your physician is waiting downstairs. Shall I send him up?"

"Yes. Thank you."

The door shut quietly and Kaiba went back to stroking the youth's head.

A few moments later there were a few soft raps.

"Enter."

The door opened and Kaiba's physician came in. He was tall around mid-thirties with brown eyes and dark blond hair.

"Jameson."

"Hello Kaiba." He gave Kaiba a friendly smile before finding out why he was needed. Kaiba filled him in swiftly.

He checked the unconscious boy thoroughly, noting the bruises on his wrists and the lump and cut on the side of his head

"Well, the bruising'll clear up in a week or so, but with that knock on the head there's no telling when he'll wake up. He'll have a killer headache when he does though. Make no mistake about that." He shook his head. "The cut's small and only superficial, it had probably already sealed by the time you checked him out."

"So what do I do?"

Jameson passed him a bottle. "This should help with the bruising. Rub it gently into his wrists before bandaging them up. He'll appreciate it." He handed him a slightly smaller one, "These are for when he wakes up. They'll help get rid of his headaches and these tablets," He handed Kaiba another bottle, "are for if he wakes up with a fever, temperature or feels nauseous. They're a general antibiotic. If you forget what's what the instructions are on the bottles."

He gave Kaiba an encouraging smile. He was one of the few people who knew Kaiba as a friend, because of this he often got to see a side of him that few rarely saw. So he wasn't surprised in the slightest when he realised Kaiba was planning on nursing the injured beauty back to health.

"A word of warning. If he doesn't wake up by this time tomorrow call me. It's important." The doctor stressed.

"I understand."

The doctor packed up his bag. "So, how's Mokuba doing?"

Kaiba gave a rarely seen grin. "He's got a new crush at school. He's staying over at her brother's house tonight. You should have seen him panic this morning."

Jameson chuckled quietly. "Ahh, to be that young again." He zipped the bag. "All done. If I don't hear from you in three days I'll come visit again." He waved Kaiba down when the brunette stood up. "I'll see myself out. I've been coming here since I was in training. I won't get lost."

Kaiba nodded his thanks.

"Take care of yourself Kaiba." Jameson said as the door shut behind him.

When they were alone again Kaiba watched the boy's chest rise and fall with each breath. He frowned. He couldn't be comfortable like that in those clothes. They still had some dirt on them from the alley. Not to mention how he'd feel waking up in them.

He rang downstairs and requested a clean set of pyjamas. They'd be too big for him, but even though he seemed to be around Mokuba's size Kaiba decided not to tske the chance that his brother's pyjamas would be too small.

After a few minutes one of the maids brought them in, shaking her head when she saw the youth's injuries. And such a sweet-looking lad too. She thought. Poor thing.

Kaiba gently stripped the boy and dressed him in the soft black silk pyjamas, wiping away the grime with some soft tissues taken from the bedside cupboard. He checked the boy's pockets quickly looking for identification, or a phone number, anything he could use to find out who he was. All his pockets were empty except for a Duel Monsters dueling deck. He refrained from looking at the cards, knowing that for serious duelers their cards were their souls. So looking at them without permission would be an invasion of privacy.

He wrapped the deck up in an embroidered handkerchief, a creamy silken square with his initials in navy blue, and placed them in the top drawer of the bedside table. Then he put the boy's clothes in the wash hamper for the maids to take care of.

After making sure that the boy was comfortable, Kaiba called downstairs for his briefcase and settled down beside the boy's bed to get some work done. All in all barely two hours had passed since he'd first laid eyes on the angel in his bed.

~*~*~

They'd been searching for hours.

Jounouchi looked at his watch. It was almost one o' clock. He called out to the others.

"C'mon. Let's go find the others. Maybe they've found something."

Where are you Koibito? Yami thought desperately.

When they got to the game shop it had just passed the three hour mark. There was no sign of Honda or Anzu. They waited in a tense silence, no-one wanting to voice their worries for fear of making them seem more real.

A few more minutes stretched out when they heard the unmistakable roar of a car engine echoing down the

empty street. Two bright lights flashed across them as Honda pulled up outside the shop. He shook his head at the waiting trio, signaling in the negative.

"What do we do now?" Ryou asked once they all got inside the game shop.

Jou leant against the kitchen wall, both Honda and Anzu opting to sit down at the table.

Yami looked out the kitchen window into the darkness while Ryou decided to busy himself making drinks. Yami turned around watching him when his gaze stumbled across the mugs he and his little Hikari had used that afternoon. The last drink they'd had together before Yugi's disappearance. His breath drew in in a hitched sob, drawing the attention of the others.

Yami never noticed.

He reached out an arm and touched the cup his light had pushed towards him. Remembered the look in his eyes as Yugi had kissed him. Desire warring with fear and need. He'd been so stunned by the kiss that he hadn't realised what Yugi had assumed when Yami had just looked at him. And then, Yami clenched his fists, a tear slipping down his face, it was too late now.

Jou looked at the others who were staring concernedly at Yami's distress. He seemed to be in his own world. He looked at the smaller boy, noticing concernedly the tears escaping from his eyes. Then he saw what Yami was looking at. Two cups. One of them was Yugi's favorite. Two cups, one for Yugi, and one for Yami. They must have had a drink together before their misunderstanding. He realised what Yami must be thinking.

All of a sudden Yami looked younger, softer. Not the same strong, arrogant youth who'd barged into Jou's house earlier.

Jou went over to Yami and pulled the smaller boy into a hug. He felt Yami resist for a moment then fold into his chest, shaking. He saw Ryou circle to Yami's other side and rub his back whispering soothingly to him.

"It's my fault." He whispered brokenly. "I just stood there. I didn't realise he'd run. I should have done something."

He touched his lips. How would he bear it if he never saw his little light again? Never felt his gentle kisses. Never held him again.

Jounouchi shared a pointed look with Honda who nodded and grabbed Anzu's hand.

"We've got to get home. Our parent's will worry if we're not home soon." He hissed at Anzu who was trying to pull her hand out of his. "We'll be back first thing."

"Thanks Honda, Anzu."

"Yeah, well, Yugi's our best friend." He stretched tiredly, keeping a hold on Anzu. "We'll be better off looking again when it's light. Maybe we'll see something we missed."

"Bye guys." Anzu called.

They heard her yelp as Honda pulled her out the shop and shut the door.

"C'mon." Jou pulled Yami out of the kitchen. "You'll feel better if you sleep for a while."

Yami looked at Ryou pleadingly.

"Sorry Yami, but he's right. We'll all feel better if we sleep for a bit. And we need to be up bright and early to look for Yugi. You'll do yourself and all of us no good if you haven't rested." Ryou lectured Yami.

Yami sighed in defeat, allowing the two of them to pull him into the living room where they opened out the couch and curled up together, Yami in the centre. Within half an hour they were fast asleep.

~*~*~

Kaiba woke up when one of the maids came in to change the towels. He glanced at his watch. It was almost time it get ready for school. He ate, showered and dressed giving strict instructions for the boy's care while he was gone and for him to be called immediately should the injured boy awaken. There would be someone sitting with him at all times. No exceptions. The Kaiba staff knew better than to disregard his instructions. He knew the slender lad would be watched carefully until his return.

The day passed with excruciating slowness. During every break he rang the mansion checking on his charge. That afternoon Kaiba stopped off at his office to collect his work and sign the documents that needed his personal attention. He instructed his staff to fax anything urgent to his house. Picking up his now full briefcase he headed back to the mansion.

When he got home he was told there was no change in smaller boy's condition. He hadn't woken up yet. Nodding his thanks at his housekeeper he went upstairs to shower and change. When he got to the boy's room he noticed the housekeeper had brought him a tray. On the tray was a message from Mokuba letting his brother know he was alright and may be staying another day.

He rang his brother first. Letting him know it was fine with him as long as his friend's parents agreed.

He ate the meal his housekeeper had prepared and opened his laptop.

After three steady hours of working Kaiba shut down his computer, glad that the majority of his work could be done via phone and email. He stood and stretched, feeling the stiff muscles pull. He groaned tiredly when an answering moan grabbed his attention.

Faster than he thought he was capable of moving Kaiba crossed to the figure on the bed. Sitting down beside him he watched his face for any sign he was awake.

When the slender boy on the bed opened his eyes for the first time Kaiba's breath stopped. Beautiful amythest eyes gazed up at him. Clear and bright and utterly gorgeous. He waited as the boy blinked then tried to sit up.

"Here, let me help you." Kaiba leant forward and placed his arms around the smaller boy. Helping to lift him up.

Lavender orbs stared up at him. "T-thank you." He whispered.

Oh by the gods. Kaiba thought. With those eyes and that voice. He closed his eyes for a second, calming himself. He felt a small hand on his arm. Then that heavenly soft voice.

"Are you alright?"

Kaiba swallowed. "Yes. How do you feel."

The boy frowned. He felt a sharp shock to his head. "My head hurts."

"I thought it might. You were hit on the head yesterday." Kaiba handed him two pills from a bottle on the bedside table by the bed and passed him a cold glass of water.

"What are these for?" The boy asked curiously.

"They'll take care of your headache."

The boy shrugged and took them. Swallowing the water gratefully.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Kaiba. Seto Kaiba." He wondered if the youth had heard of him and if it would change the way he looked at him.

The boy nodded, no recognition of the name in his eyes. "It suits you." He tilted his head. "May I call you Seto, then?"

Kaiba nodded.

"Arigato." The boy smiled.

"What's your name?" Seto asked.

The boy frowned. "It's, it's..." A look of horror entered his eyes. "I don't know. I don't know my name."

Kaiba blanched. He hadn't even considered this a possibility. Digging in his pocket for his phone he quickly dialed in Jamesons number. When he got an answer he requested his presence as soon as possible. Letting him know what had happened.

Kaiba looked back at the boy on the bed. His violet eyes were brimming with unshed tears, his hands clenching the sheets so tightly his knuckles were white.

"Who...who am I." He whispered.

Kaiba looked at him in concern. "Shh." He sat on the bed next to the youth, wrapping his arms around the much smaller frame.

Half an hour later there was a knock on the door and Jameson entered.

Tbc...

~*~*~