Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Dreams ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

~*~*~

Chapter Four

Yami felt it the minute his hikari woke up. He dropped to phone he was using to call the hospitals for an update on the floor in overwhelming relief. Ryou, who was using his cell phone ended his call and looked at Yami quizzically.

"What is it? What's wrong?" He asked in concern.

"Yugi." He gasped. "He's alive."

"What? Did that hospital have him? Is he alright?" Ryou asked excitedly.

Yami shook his head. "That wasn't the hospital. I felt it. I felt him." Yami shut his eyes. //Yugi, whe...Aargh!!// Instead of the clear link there normally was between them, there was just a fuzzy static feeling. When Yami tried to sent a message to Yugi he got a psychic shock. He screamed.

Ryou grabbed Yami as he fell. "Jounouchi!! Jou!! Hurry!!"

He heard Jou bound down the stairs. He ran to the panicked boy. "Shit! How did this happen?"

"He said something about feeling Yugi wake up. He shut his eyes for a moment. Then he was screaming."

Yami fell silent. Spasms ripping painfully through him until finally, thankfully, darkness took him.

"Quick. Help me get him onto the couch." Jou instructed Ryou.

They worked swiftly, arranging him comfortably on the couch. They stared worriedly at Yami's pale, drawn face.

"Oh man. Can this get any weirder? First Yugi-but-not-Yugi, now this." Jounouchi rubbed his forehead.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" Ryou stroked Yami's head gently, more for his own reassurance than anything else since Yami was oblivious to everything.

Jounouchi looked at Ryou, a sad expression on his face. "I don't know Ryou."

"I wish Yugi was here."

"Yeah, but if Yugi were here we wouldn't be in this situation." Jounouchi's eyes misted. "I hope the little guy's okay."

~*~*~

Kaiba was worried. When Jameson had checked the boy out, he'd become frantic. When they'd asked him a few questions he'd become hysterical. The distraught boy in question had sobbed himself to sleep.

Kaiba led Jameson out of the boy's room.

"Is there anything I can do?" Kaiba asked desperately. He couldn't understand it but seeing the boy so upset had hurt him. Even just thinking of him, hurt and afraid made his heart clench.

"I don't really know what to tell you. Amnesia cases are notorious for their inability to be classed. He could get his memory beck in a minute, a day or not at all." Jameson shrugged his shoulders helplessly. "If you could take him to familiar surroundings that would help, or for him to be in familiar situations. But..."

Kaiba's shoulders slumped. An unfamiliar position for him. "...But since I found him in an alley I have no idea what's going to be familiar to him or not."

"Exactly."

"However.." Kaiba started.

"What?"

"The only thing he had on him was a dueling deck." Kaiba thought for a second.

"Duel Monsters?"

"Yes. If he's a regular gamer then someone at one of the dueling centres may recognise him."

Jameson nodded his approval. "Good idea." He thought, then frowned as something occurred to him. "Be careful. If he has rivals..." He trailed off, letting Kaiba pick up the train of thought.

"They may lie." Kaiba's icy blue eyes hardened to clear diamonds. "If they do they'll be sorry. Still," he paused, straightening, "I won't broadcast the reason I'm asking about him. After all, a boy with multi-coloured hair and indigo eyes can't be that hard to remember. I'll tell them there's a cash reward for information with proof." He smirked viciously. "Everyone knows the Kaiba name. Someone will come forward soon enough."

~*~*~

Later that evening.

There was a loud pounding on the door of the game shop.

"Jounouchi!! Ryou!! Open up." Honda's voice came through loud and clear through the door.

"Did you find anything?" Jou asked him.

Anzu took off her coat and looked at him, biting her lip.

"No, but something strange's going on. Some KaibaCorp suits have been asking around the gaming centres for Yugi!" Honda exclaimed.

"KaibaCorp??! What the hell could they want with Yugi?" Jou shouted.

"What do you mean?" Ryou asked quietly.

"Well, me and Anzu were asking if anyone had see the little guy recently when they turned around and told us that KaibaCorp had put out a cash reward for anyone with information regarding a youth with red, gold and black hair. Standing so high," Honda put his hand level with his chest as he said this. Emphasising the point. "and with violet eyes!" He finished.

"Well, that definitely sounds like Yugi." Ryou agreed.

"What's going on here?"

The group turned around to see Yami.

"Hey buddy. How are you feeling?" Jounouchi called. Going to stand by his side.

"Better." Yami shook off his tiredness. A new fire coming into his eyes.

"Yeah well you look like shit. No offense pal." Honda said to him.

Yami closed him eyes for a second. "I agree." He told him. "Give me a minute while I recharge please."

"Huh?" Four puzzled faces turned towards him.

Yami sighed. "I have been using all my energy trying to focus on finding Yugi." he started.

"Yeah, so've we." Honda interrupted him.

Yami shook his head. "No I meant my mental energies."

"Great. I knew it. He's crazy." Jounouchi muttered. The others nodded in agreement. All except Ryou, who was watching Yami with something akin to fascination.

"I remember what Yugi did about KaibaCorp. If we're going there I want to be at my strongest. In order to do that I need to heal myself from the psychic backlash I got from Yugi's mind when I tried to contact him." Yami stated.

"Is that what made you scream and collapse earlier?" Ryou asked curiously.

"What? When did that happen?" Anzu demanded.

Jounouchi flicked a hand towards Yami. "This afternoon. We were phoning round when I hear him shouting to me," He pointed to Ryou, "And him screaming and shaking on the floor." He pointed at Yami. "Next thing I knew he looked like that and was out cold. Until you guy's got here anyway."

"So what's this healing thingie you're going to do anyway?" Honda asked sceptically.

Yami walked a few steps in front of him and grinned maliciously. Staring at the apprehensive teen he looked directly into his eyes and unleashed a part of his Shadow Skill. He only used a tiny sliver of his Skill, making the Sennen Eye on his forehead blaze and surround him with a dark glow. It was enough. The startled youth shrieked and ran behind his friends.

Yami smirked and reined in his power.

"ACK! What the fuck was that?!" Jou blurted out.

"That was a small show of my Shadow Skill."

"So what's that when it's at home?" Honda asked. Still standing behind Anzu.

Yami groaned. He'd forgotten what it was like trying to explain the skill to someone who knew nothing about it's existence.

"I'll fill you in later. Right now I'm going to recharge. Then I'm going to KaibaCorp."

Anzu jumped in. "You? What about us? We're Yugi's friends too you know."

Yami silenced her with a look. "I need you to find as much proof as you can to show them you really are Yugi's friends. I also want to go alone so that if anything happens to me you guys can back each other up. If you don't hear anything from me by tonight try to find out why I haven't contacted you."

They nodded.

"I haven't really got much proof at all that I know Yugi." Ryou spoke up haltingly in the silence."We only recently became friends." He raised his shoulders questioningly at Yami. "I would like to go with you. I think I'd be more of a help than here."

Yami considered this for a moment. "Very well." He gave his assent with a quick nod of his head.

When Jounouchi, Honda and Anzu had left to their respective houses to collect the proof they needed Yami and Ryou retired to the living room while Yami recharged himself.

~*~*~

Kaiba hung up the phone. His housekeeper had confirmed that their young amnesiac was still asleep. Not that Kaiba expected anything less considering Jameson had given him something guaranteed to make him relax and sleep. He looked at his watch. Hopefully it shouldn't wear off for at least another few hours. He thought, relieved that the boy was sleeping and not panicking.

He ran a frustrated hand through his thick brown mane. He was going to have to have it cut soon, he thought absently. It had begun to brush the back of his neck. Mokuba said it suited him, but it was hard enough trying to act older without looking younger. He sighed. Perhaps he'd keep it and be done with it. He wondered if his mysterious little angel would like it long or short. Kaiba snorted at himself. He didn't even know the youth's name and yet here he was wondering if he liked Seto's hair.

The intercom buzzed.

"Sir, there's another young man here claiming he knows about the boy you put in the information request for." His secretary's voice was brisk, abrupt. Hmmn. That meant she didn't like whoever was out there.

"Send him in." Kaiba just hoped it wasn't another money-grabber. He'd had a parade of them since that afternoon. The best thing about running a corporation the size of KaibaCorp was he had become adept at spotting bluffs. None of the people paraded through his offices had been able to lie or insinuate their way past him. All the same, this false hope was aggravating him.

The door opened.

~*~*~

"WOW!" Was Ryou's first remark when the glow died down around Yami. He was finally seeing Yami as he usually was. He was astounded. Gone was the wrought, tired, upset youth and in his place was a confident, slightly arrogant and beautiful young man who positively radiated sex.

"Come. Lets go." He commanded, striding out the front door. Ryou gaped for a moment then ran to Yami's side. Still a bit dumbstruck at the change in his new friend. Yami seemed a lot better now he had a clear goal of what they were going to do. He smiled. KaibaCorp, here we come.

They stopped for a moment, gazing up at the imposing structure that was KaibaCorp.

Ryou went in first. In truth he had barely stopped walking. Yami a bare second behind him. They went in through the automatic doors. Ryou stopped and stared. He looked around for Yami. The snow-haired youth didn't notice the appreciative looks sent his way. His own innocent sensuality enhanced by Yami's dark presence.

Ryou was watching Yami. The silver-haired youth had to hold in a smirk as the crimson-eyed youth stalked up to the front desk, His red, black and gold hair a dark crown around his head. Ryou could see him garnering many hungry, predative looks from both sexes in the large foyer at his seductive gait.

"I'm here regarding Yugi Mutou." He announced in a silken voice.

"W-who?" The receptionist flushed and stuttered under his intense gaze.

"Yugi Mutou." He enunciated. "I heard KaibaCorp wanted to know about him. His description was handed out with instructions that KaibaCorp wanted information about him. I've come to find out why?"

"Y-you want to see K-kaiba himself then" she said, face still red. She waved over a member of the KaibaCorp staff. "Can you take these two up to Kaiba-sama please." she asked the young lady who came over.

"Hai. This way please." She led the way over to an elevator and held open the doors with a button while they got in.

Yami leant against the wall of the lift one leg outstretched, the other bent with his foot against the wall. He crossed his arms. His head tilted slightly, causing the girl to swallow and blush when she saw his reflection in the floor to ceiling mirrors lining the lift's walls.

"W-we're here." She held the doors open. "Go straight down. You can't miss his personal secretary." She gulped and forgot to breathe as Yami strode past her.

"Domo Arigato." He whispered to her as he exited the lift to walk down the hall. Ryou by his side, trying very hard not to burst out laughing.

When the lift doors shut Ryou turned to Yami and grinned. "I can't believe your nerve." He giggled.

Yami smirked at the silver-haired youth next to him. "But it was fun, ne?

"Yeah."

The walked in silence down the hall to Kaiba's secretary's desk.

"How may I help you?" The secretary asked clearly eying Yami and Ryou up and down. It wasn't every day two beauties strode through that door. Yami grinned ferally.

"We're here about the boy KaibaCorp keeps asking about." Ryou told her politely. His soft voice making her melt inside.

"Sit down please." She instructed.

After a few minutes there was a roar and Kaiba's door slammed open. A teen flew through the air out of the office, skidding to a halt a few feet away from Yami and Ryou.

"GET OUT!! Wretched scum." The frightened teen picked himself up and ran like the hounds of hell were on his heels.

Yami froze at his first look at Seto Kaiba. "Set." He whispered brokenly.

The brunette's icy eyes caught sight of Yami and he froze. "You." He said softly. "Who are you?"

Yami stood up gracefully. That husky voice just like he remembered it. He shook his head at himself, nothing showing on his face. Set was dead. Seto may look like him, but he's an unknown quantity.

"You can call me Yami." The pharaoh introduced. " This is Ryou."

Kaiba shivered as Yami's voice flowed over his skin seductively. He could barely believe his eyes. Standing in front of him was an almost identical twin to the one in his home.

"May we talk privately" The crimson-eyed stunner asked.

Suddenly remembering his manners Kaiba gestured towards his office. "Of course. Come in please." He barely noticed the silver-haired teen follow Yami into his office he was so engrossed with watching the fiery-eyed youth.

"Please, take a seat." Kaiba motioned to a small seating area with a large leather couch and two large leather armchairs.

Ryou walked over and chose one of the single armchairs. The dark forest material contrasting sharply with his pale hair and creamy skin. Kaiba sat down in the other single armchair opposite it, leaving Yami to drape himself across the long leather couch. Yami was going by the old adage 'never show an enemy your fear'. While Kaiba wasn't exactly an enemy, at least, not yet, he was an unknown. He waited.

Kaiba spoke first. "What can I do for you?" He asked looking at the teens, watching with sharp eyes how they acted. Hey, just because he had this vision in his office didn't mean that he was going to lose his senses completely. He thought dryly.

"We heard you asking about someone who looks remarkably like me." Yami said with a glare. "We want to know what you want with him."

"First tell me how you know him. Can you even tell me his name?" Kaiba asked evenly.

"Look, I don't know what you're playing at, or what you want with Yugi, but I did not come here to play games." Yami ground out. Furious. He leant forward on the couch. "If I find out you've hurt him..."

"If you find out...? Why? Don't you know where he is now?" Kaiba demanded. His eyes blazed warningly.

Yami closed his eyes and took in a pained breath. "He went missing yesterday afternoon. We've searched the whole city...but." Yami dropped the hard shell. He drew his knees up to his chest. His eyes were achingly vulnerable when Kaiba looked in them.

"But you couldn't find him. And them you heard that we'd put out an information reward out on him." Kaiba finished for him.

"Yes."

Kaiba sighed ruefully. "He's at my house."

Two identical yelps. "What!"

Kaiba rubbed his forehead. "I found him being assaulted in the alley around the back of KaibaCorp." He told them. "I tried to help. The brute attacked me. I knocked him out. But he'd already knocked your friend...Yugi...did you say?" He got two affirming nods. "I called the police and my doctor. I figured it would be quicker than waiting at a hospital."

"Why didn't he contact us?" Ryou asked.

The brunette paused, gathering his thoughts. "He has a concussion." Then Kaiba dropped the bombshell on them. "He has amnesia."

Tbc...

~*~*~

Hehehe...bad me leaving this cliffhanger. Don't worry, I'll update soon. *smirk*