Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Origami Music ❯ Part 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Origami Music

Chapter: 2/?

Author: Madyamisam

Rating: PG-13

Beta: Lola

Pairing(s): Joey/Mokuba (but not in `that' way) Joey/Seto

Spoilers: None

Disclaimer: Madyamisam doesn't own Yu-Gi-Oh.

Summary: Two families, two children, two siblings, two friends… funny how an accident could make everything change…

 

--------

 

It seemed almost like instinct when Kaiba came into the room and saw that his brother had started crying again. It had happened a lot lately to the extent that he was forced to take Mokuba to see a specialist. In such kind of circumstances Kaiba was helpless and he hated it. With each passing day the market dropped because he was too busy worrying over his brother to concentrate on his company.

 

"Mokuba…" he said. His little brother shook quickly wiping away the tears from his eyes and replacing it with a small smile.

 

"Sorry…" Mokuba whispered as he rubbed at his eyes to will away the tears. Kaiba recalled his meeting with the Mokuba's psychiatrist in the hopes that he could find some sort of answer, a cure for the illness that was making his brother shed tears like he did.

 

~It'll be difficult but it's the only way for your brother to come to terms of what's happened, he has to confront them in some way~ the psychiatrist had said to him. Kaiba clenched his hands, he would prefer if Mokuba would forget what happened or if he could erase that period of time however like the psychiatrist had said it was the only way to help him.

 

"Come on kiddo…" Kaiba whispered gently. "Why don't we go out for a bit?"

 

"I don't want to…" Mokuba whimpered in his bed. Kaiba hated having to push the kid to do things he didn't want to do but he knew it was for the best.

 

"Please Mokuba" he pleaded much to surprise to his brother. Mokuba sighed as he got out of the bed and cleaned himself up. He still looked weary, with bags under his eyes from the lack of sleep. Since the incident weeks ago his grades had dropped like a stone and he every night Mokuba would have trouble sleeping. He would cry till exhaustion only to be plagued with nightmares that woke him up and the cycle would repeat itself until the morning. Kaiba would stand by him as his only means of comfort but every night he would despair as he helplessly watched his brother writhe, scream and sob and with all the power he had accumulated he couldn't help him.

 

---------

 

"Where are we going?" Mokuba asked absently. Kaiba smiled half in hope and half in assurance.

 

"The Domino Mental Institution" he replied. They had arrived shortly at the `mad house' as laymen would term it and diligently followed the man in the white lab coat past many doors of people whispering their incoherent thoughts until they came to one particular door. The group of friends stood just before it. Kaiba noticed the familiar fools who were no longer joking and laughing like they did. In fact, in the past few weeks, though they hung out they rarely spoke to one another. Kaiba also noticed the cold glares he had been receiving from brunette but found that one member of the group was missing. It took him a few minutes of hacking into the systems one day to find out where Joey Wheeler had gone to thus leading him here. The group safe for the patient was stunned to see the two of them there... It was Tristan who decided to break the tense silence with more tension in his cold words.

 

"What the hell are you two doing here?" he growled protectively over the door that held his friend behind it. Kaiba saw Joey through the window who was sitting on his heels, his hands resting on his lap in the corner of a white room. He was thinner, an empty shell of his former self that made Kaiba's insides squirm uneasily. He was dressed in a white smock marking him as one of the institute's residents. He's eyes held a blank stare whilst his hand delicately held the blood stained origami crane in his hand. Mokuba tugged gently at his brother's sleeve wanting to leave the vicinity but Kaiba stood his ground glaring at the friends who glared right back.

 

Téa tried to calm Tristan down whilst Yugi turned back to stare through the window that held his blonde friend inside. Another figure approached the door and this time the group held a little more respect towards her. Mrs Wheeler had just come in dressed in black. Her eyes were still wet from the tears that cried over her daughter's death before the doctor allowed her into the room. Kaiba watched through the one way glass window as the divorced woman approached her son. She had knelt down by the boy's side but Kaiba couldn't make out what she was saying but he noticed she visibly shook from sorrow and possibly rage. His thoughts were confirmed when the blonde was slapped across the face and the doctors immediately jumped into action. The door opened to screaming from the grieved woman.

 

"YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AFTER HER YOU GOO FOR NOTHING BRAT!" she shrieked much to the horror of Joey's friends as they pulled her back. Kaiba inwardly cringed at the visible red mark that was on his face but Joey neither flinched nor cried from the attack upon his being. He continued to just stare at the paper crane, the last remnant of his sister's gift to him. Although regulations disallowed so many visitors at once the doctors were too preoccupied with the screeching woman to bother pulling back the blonde' friends comforting him.

 

"It's not your fault Joey… no matter what she said… it really isn't" Yugi wept as he hugged the blonde in hopes of comforting him and the stinging pain of Mrs Wheeler's slap and accusations. However his words of comfort didn't seem to register in the blonde's mind.

 

"Yeah if it's anything it was Kaiba's fault for letting his brother run out on the road like that" Tristan muttered not caring if the Kaiba brothers were there or not. Kaiba felt the hand of his brother leave his side as the boy ran out of the room and back down where they came from. Kaiba growled before giving chase.

 

"Mokuba! MOKUBA!" he yelled after him catching up with him easily.

 

"It's my fault" Mokuba whimpered.

 

"No… it's-"

 

"YES IT IS SETO!" Mokuba sobbed wrenching his arm from Kaiba's grasps. The guilt had further eaten him up from the inside. Kaiba for once couldn't find anyway he could say that would ease the suffering.

 

"You and Serenity are friends right?" Kaiba asked. Mokuba nodded. "Then you'll know that you shouldn't let yourself waste away and let her sacrifice be in vain…" Mokuba looked at him through a film of tears. Kaiba stared intently. Mokuba hugged him hiccupping slightly. He gently stroked the soft raven tresses comfortingly before taking the boy's hand and slowly walking out of the institute. Kaiba cursed himself for allowing him to visit Joey with all his friends around. They wouldn't understand. They didn't have to live with the guilt Mokuba had. He smiled gripping the younger Kaiba's hand firmly and reassuringly though it was more for himself than for his brother.

 

"Joey!" he heard someone call. The Kaiba brothers turned to find that Joey had got out of his cell and walking towards them. He knelt down towards the younger of the two Kaiba brothers and for the first time in weeks he lifted his head up to stare at the boy whose tears had freely ran down his guilt stricken face. Kaiba made a move to shield the boy with his body in case Joey went to violently attack his brother but all the blonde simply did was delicately take the young boys hand and passed the piece of folded origami to him before getting up and returning back to his cell. Mokuba stared at the paper crane and the brown specks of dried up blood that had belonged to Serenity before looking at the blonde's back. Surprised and intrigued by the interaction the Kaiba brothers were asked if they could stay for a talk for a while.

 

-----

 

"I know you like it to the point Mr Kaiba. This has been the first positive reaction we've had ever since we received him here at the institute I think that it might be by you or to be precise your brother's influence on this visit" Kaiba glanced at his little brother who stared at the gift he had been given much like Joey had a while before. "The only other reaction we've had was when we tried to remove that paper crane from him and from that he attacked one of the assistants quite violently. Even with the presents of his friends Mr Kaiba. For him to give the crane away so willingly was unexpected and I do believe that your brother might be the key to help recover from the incident about his sister" Mokuba cringed at hearing this information before gripping the piece of paper gently hoping not to tear the delicate and withering wings. Kaiba stared at Mokuba briefly wondering what he would do.

 

"Will it… will it really help Joey?" Mokuba asked looking up at the man.

 

"I think so…" the psychiatrist replied. "And I also think that this might benefit you as well… so… what do you say Mokuba?" Mokuba went back to staring at the paper crane trying to contemplate what to do. Kaiba merely stared at his brother and ready to support the boy in everything way he could. Mokuba turned the paper crane around as if analysing its structure before taking out his locket opened it and delicately placing the crane alongside Kaiba's photograph. A single tear had escaped his eyes before he wiped it away. The last tear he would ever cry until Joey got better. He looked up determinedly at the psychiatrist.

 

"What time should I come tomorrow?"

 

----------------

 

Seto: Why do I feel like I've been left out?

 

Sam: Cos you are ; P … Kidding… you start off in the background then you get integrated into the foreground later…

 

Mokuba: I hate depression T____T It sucks to be severely depressed.

 

Sam: AWWWW (hugs him)