Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Memories ❯ Choices ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer : I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Note - Eventual Y/YY. Right now just close friendship.

====================================================

*Yuugi's thoughts*

~Yami's thoughts~

/Yuugi to Yami across mind link/

//Yami to Yuugi across mind link//

====================================================

Chapter 1

====================================================

Yuugi looked desperately from face to face. He stood in the centre of a circle of tan robed priests. They were chanting some kind of containment spell. Their droning voices rose and fell rhythmically, each voice complementing the next. It was impossible to tell where one verse started and another ended. In front of him was Yami in spirit form, shackled to a wall with glowing silvery blue chains, imprisoned inside a magical force field.

"Choose"

Yuugi turned to look at the owner of the raspy voice. Beside him was a tall swarthy man, robed in cream silk - apparently the High Priest. His agate eyes held a maniacal gleam to them. Wrapped around his wiry frame was a beige robe, with mystical symbols embroidered on the hem in grey. Yuugi recognized them to be Egyptian hieroglyphs. Around his waist, he wore a wide ebony belt on which was embossed a depiction of silver chains wrapped around an ochre globe - the symbol of the Soul-binders.

Yuugi remembered what his grandfather had once told him about them.

Flashback

An eight-year-old Yuugi fingered a strange pendant brought back by his grandfather from his trip to Egypt.

"Grandpa, what is this?" asked the violet-eyed child holding up chain wrapped topaz pendant.

"That Yuugi is the icon of the Soul-binders."

"Soul-binders, Grampa?" asked Yuugi blinking confusedly.

Solomon looked at his grandchild gravely.

"The Soul-binders were a sect of evil monks who worshipped Anubis - God of the underworld. In return for their devotion, they were given the power to ensnare and command the spirits of those who have passed over. It is said that they used the spirits as slaves. It has also been rumoured that they gained their power by draining the spirits of their life force."

Flashback End

Yuugi snapped his head back and stared at the still form of his partner gleaming in the moonlight. His skin had faded from a healthy tan to a pallid white. His garnet eyes were focused on his light and his golden bangs were plastered to his sweaty forehead.

*Dead people don't sweat do they?* Yuugi thought, momentarily distracted.

Yami was gazing at him, a silent plea in his eyes.

~Don't do it.~

Yuugi knew he had no choice in the matter. The only way to release the Pharaoh from his bondage was to do as the priest demanded. He must travel to Kemet - the Egypt that was five millennia ago, and discover the secret name of the `nameless' Pharaoh. Why the sect wanted the name was beyond him, and the force field prevented him from contacting the spirit telepathically. But Yuugi knew what he must do. His decision had been made for him. For now, he must agree to do the priest's bidding. Yami had already spent five millennia imprisoned in the shadowy precincts of the sacred puzzle, and if Yuugi did not act soon, the ancient spirit would find himself trapped once again.

*Only this time, it will be for all of eternity.*

Yuugi shuddered involuntarily. He defiantly tore his eyes away from his darkness. No. He would not let his resolve be shaken. He would not let his darkness sacrifice himself.

"Very well. I will do what you want." Yuugi said boldly, hoping that his fear did not show.

The sickening smile on the priest's face grew as he clasped his hands in glee. It made Yuugi nauseous.

"But on one condition." he continued.

The smile faded.

"In my absence, the Pharaoh must not be harmed. Physically or spiritually."

The man watched him from beneath the folds of his cowl his face lit by the flickering flames from the torches held by the lesser priests. A myriad of emotions passed over his face in a short span. Yuugi suspected that he was talking to someone telepathically.

*Probably his superior. Maybe it's Marik!*

But no... it couldn't be Marik. His soul had been shredded and dispersed in the shadow realm when Malik - his lighter half, had forfeited the final duel to Yuugi.

*A new enemy then. One that seems to know much about the ancient Pharaoh.*

Yuugi knew it was frustrating to the spirit that so many others knew so much about him that he himself did not remember.

After a few moments, the priest lowered his head, concealing his face in the shadows of his cowl. Only that hideous smile was visible. When he spoke, his teeth glinted in the firelight. The priest's next words confirmed Yuugi's suspicions.

"Very well `we' will humour your request." he said in that oily voice that made Yuugi's skin crawl. The priest noticed the boy's reaction, and his smile soured.

"You will have three weeks to fulfill your task." he snarled.

"Three weeks?"

"Yes. Remember that." the priest said, his sadistic smile returning, echoed several times on the face of the chanting priests. "THREE WEEKS ONLY. The spell that binds the Pharaoh gains its power by draining him of his life energy. Should you fail to return in the given time, the Pharaoh will become a mindless zombie. One who knows nothing of love, joy or life. He will become a lost soul of the shadow realm."

The priest paused for a moment, enjoying the look of horror on the young duellist's face.

*Grampa was right...*

*Yami... Zombie?... Slave?... No... NEVER...*

"The spell for your transportation has already been prepared. Go gather your belongings. We will begin when the sand runs out." As he said these words, the priest tipped over a miniature hourglass.

*I only have fifteen minutes to get my stuff... I must hurry.*

Yuugi ran out of the park to the hotel room where he had been staying before the Soul-binders mobbed him. Fortunately, he was on a duel monsters tournament, so he had his supplies packed in a backpack. He was forever participating in Duel Monsters tournaments, and most of them involved much travelling. Being the world champion, he was always invited to participate in these tournaments.

Panting, Yuugi returned with only moments to spare. The High Priest beckoned him to stand in the center of the circle of priests once again. Yuugi looked at him nervously.

"How am I to find the Pharaoh?" he asked, already having misgivings about his hasty decision.

"We will drop you close to the Pharaoh within the palace. It is your mission to win his trust, and get his name. While you are in the past, the magic of the sacred puzzle will not be available to you. The millennium items are not subject to time travel, so the shadows will hold onto it for you. It will be returned to you when you return to the present. The High Priest of Kemet - Seth, is the only other who knows of the Pharaoh's secret name. Do not pursue him. You will not be able to extract the name from Seth as he is magically bound to the Pharaoh. It would be a futile attempt. Also, be careful what you do in the past, as any foolish act on your part will result in altering the future."

Yuugi gulped and asked no more sensing that the priest would give out no more information.

*Probably because he doesn't have any more.*

"But how will I return?" Yuugi asked.

"On the completion of three weeks, when the sun sets, you will automatically return to us. The spell we are casting on you will ensure your safe return. Don't worry, there will still be a couple of minutes left before the Pharaoh disintegrates. Should you fail in your mission, you will have the pleasure of seeing him melt away into the shadow realm with your own eyes." With that, the agate-eyed priest let loose a peal of maniacal laughter and eight of the priests stepped up, surrounding Yuugi in a tight circle, and began chanting. As they chanted, Yuugi felt himself being lifted off the ground, the world began fading away as the swirling mists of the shadow realm appeared, enclosing him in an inky black cocoon. He could still hear the maniacal laughter, but it seemed distant now. Yuugi fervently hoped that he hadn't stepped into a trap. Before he disappeared completed, he levelled his gaze with Yami, and gave him a reassuring smile.

/Everything will be okay. I promise. Please I need you to trust in me./ Yuugi projected with all his being, hoping that Yami would hear him. Yuugi saw the sadness flee from Yami's eyes momentarily, and be replaced by a smile that was both hopeful and reassuring.

Yuugi did not need his mind link to read the spirit's face.

//I trust in you, Yuugi. Do what you must.// he almost heard.

With that, Yuugi felt a shooting pain in his core as if a thousand red-hot needles had been driven through him as the frigid life sucking shadow tendrils bore him through time. Before Yuugi lost consciousness, he felt the heat of the sun on his face and smelled the desert air. He smiled. He knew he was now in Kemet.

====================================================

Review Please... Will be continued depending on responses.

====================================================