Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Memories ❯ Hurdle Overcome ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Eventual Y/YY

Set in Kemet (Ancient Egypt)

====================================================

*Yuugi's thoughts*

~Yami's thoughts~

<Seth's thoughts>

:Temporary mind links:

====================================================

Chapter 4

*******Recap**************************************************** ****

The Priest took two steps away and stood as if poised for combat, physical or magical, his cobalt eyes trained on the mystery child.

The Pharaoh smiled at the not-quite-veiled helpless look in the cerulean eyes.

"Pharaoh Yami..." came a melodic childlike voice.

Shooting a warning look at the Priest, Yami turned towards the lavender-eyed boy.

"Who are you little one? Where are you from?" he whispered softly.

"X xxxx xxxxxxxxxx." murmured the boy, looking frustrated.

*******End Recap****************************************************

He looked on at the tableau between the Pharaoh and his High Priest, silently, not understanding a word being said. Not that there was any need for translation. It was obvious that Seto was intent on protecting the Pharaoh from any the danger which he might represent. Yuugi breathed a sigh of relief.

*No, not Seto. This is Seth, Seto Kaiba's former self. I must remember that. Well looks like they are still on good terms. Good. That means I won't have to referee any glare contests.*

Yuugi gently tapped on the Pharaoh's shoulder, trying to call his attention to himself. He felt severely drained of energy, and felt that he might collapse any second. The Pharaoh looked at him kindly.

"Xxx xxx xxx xxxxxx xxx? Xxxxx xxx xxx xxxx?" he whispered softly.

"I don't understand." he said, screwing his face up in frustration. That idiot High Priest of the Soul Binders had never warned him of this. How was he supposed to communicate with the Pharaoh when they didn't speak the same language?

*At least if we still shared a mind link, we would have been communicate across it. There are no language barriers in mind speech.*

Yuugi saw confusion flit through the crimson orbs. He could empathise with that perfectly.

*Wait!!! Maybe I can empathise with him literarily.*

Yuugi carefully probed the air with his mind, looking for those familiar strands that always emanated from Yami, warped and wrapped around himself when they mind spoke.

*Ah! Found them. Now if only I could only intercept a bundle of them.*

Yuugi suddenly felt a wave of dizziness wash over him. He opened his eyes and found himself lying on the Pharaoh's chest, looking into a pair of startled ruby eyes.

*I must have blacked out. I don't have much energy left. I must hurry. Oh, but I feel so weak.*

Yuugi got up put his hands on the Pharaoh's shoulders and positioned himself. He noticed that the strands were emanating from the third eye on the Pharaoh's forehead.

*I need to make Yami understand what I need from him...*

Yuugi stared into the Pharaoh's eyes. Quietly, he put his fingers up to his own forehead, and traced the millennium symbol. He saw understanding flicker in the ruby eyes. He then traced the same symbol on Yami's forehead.

"Xx Pharaoh! Xxxxxx xxxxxx!" hissed Seth. (1)

"Xxxxx Seth." the Pharaoh deadpanned. (2)

The Pharaoh gave a slow nod of understanding.

"Do what you must."

Yuugi gave a weak smile in response.

*Good. Now if only I have enough strength to complete this.*

Yuugi placed his forehead against the Pharaoh's third eye.

Out of the corner of his eyes, Yuugi saw Seth draw his Millennium rod.

"Xxxx xxx xxxx Seth. Xx xxx'x xx xxxxxx." said the Pharaoh in that same monotone. (3)

:My High Priest is over protective little one. What is it you need?:

Yuugi nearly screamed with joy at hearing that familiar voice in his mind.

:I cannot speak your tongue my Pharaoh. I wish for you to share your grasp of your tongue with me.:

Yuugi felt the Pharaoh narrow his eyes mentally.

:You could have taken that from me yourself when you met my mind. I can see that you are an experienced telepath. Why didn't you do so? You already have the required skills.:

Yuugi felt rage flare up within his chest at those words.

:My Pharaoh.: he spat. :I wouldn't take anything not given to me by your consent. I am not a petty thief. I recognize well the sanctity of one's mind. I wouldn't trespass without your permission into your mind although you have already trespassed mine.:

Yuugi felt the Pharaoh's chagrin wash over him.

:Forgive me little one for the intrusion. You can take what you need.:

:Thank you, my Pharaoh: Yuugi whispered back, still half angry at the Pharaoh.

Yuugi gathered together the last of his energy reserves and drew on the Pharaoh's psyche. He felt the rudiments of the Egyptian language float into himself and settle into his own psyche. He felt another wave of dizziness wash over himself.

*Oh please no. Just a moment longer if only I could hold myself.*

Yuugi suddenly felt something trickle into his mind. It tasted like honey and cinnamon and held the fragrance of the desert air. Yuugi felt himself grow stronger.

:I have transferred some of my mental energy to you, little one. I felt your weakness when I was in your mind.: whispered the Pharaoh, not wanting to disturb the boy's concentration.

Yuugi smiled, noting the apologetic note in the voice. The remnants of his anger melted away.

:My gratitude: whispered Yuugi.

:My pleasure: answered the Pharaoh severing the mind link.

Yuugi drew back from the Pharaoh, with a smile on his face. Yuugi opened his eyes, and found the Pharaoh looking at him curiously.

"My Pharaoh... you are well?" whispered a sultry voice.

"Yes my Priest. You need not have worried. The boy only wished for me to share our language with him."

"I see. So... who is the boy?" asked Seth with unveiled curiosity.

Suddenly they heard someone at the door. They all turned and found themselves staring at a raven haired ten-year-old boy.

"Mokuba, what are you doing here?" Seth asked his little brother.

But Mokuba wasn't listening. He was staring at the petite form in the Pharaoh's arms.

Yuugi carefully drew away from Yami, and stared back at the boy.

Slowly a huge smile appeared on the child's face.

====================================================

Translations:

(1) "My Pharaoh! Please listen!"

(2) "Quiet Seth."

(3) "Seth put that away. It won't be needed."

====================================================

To all my reviewers:

I promised a quick update, and here it is. I had my computer formatted. It's okay now. I've decided to stick to pure English when writing my fics (although I think jap is cute), cause I have no resources for jap words. You may however see the occasional aibou, hikari, gomen and other such words. (I'll be picking those off from other Yu-Gi-Oh! fics.)

People please keep sending those reviews, and if you spot any grammar errors, please do point them out, I'll remove them immediately. Also, don't hesitate to send me any ideas you may have for my fic.

I am so glad you guys liked my fic.

Forgive the slight cliffie. The next chapter is also coming up pretty soon.

====================================================