Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Pieces (oneshot) ❯ Pieces (one shot) ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rating : Work-Safe
Pairing : Dark YugixYugi
Disclaimer : Aotskun does not in any way own Yugioh; this story was written purely out of [enjoyment].
 
-*-
 
He understood the role of husband and wife at an early stage; where most kids around him wrinkled their nose in embarrassment, he instead would sigh in longing. To see the soft kisses his father would place on his mother's cheek and neck, witness the weathered hand of his grandfather caress the worn frame of his late wife's photograph... He only knew that he wanted those moments for himself.
 
And like the puzzles he loves so dearly he knew that while he had the overall image planted firmly in his mind's eye; he didn't have all the necessary pieces. In grade school however, he still tried his hardest to obtain that relationship; finding 'perfect wifely' girls and focusing so much onto their good points that he could successfully crush over them. But it wasn't the same.
 
Again he was missing pieces, putting the wrong pieces together; again going by the feeling that something wasn't right.
 
He was in high school, convincing himself of a crush he had for his long time friend Anzu when he held it in his hands for the first time. That millennium puzzle, such a soft gold and yet so durable; it warmed in his hands and glimmered with promises in the pale light. His grandfather had told him that a wish would be granted when the puzzle was solved; and silently he would hope that today be the day, the day when that lonely feeling in his chest would go away. And for a while he felt it never would, until the night that boy he so desperately wanted to call friend fished out his missing piece.
 
The day Jounouchi returned that small piece was the day he received a special gift.
 
His first friend.
 
And the first time in his short life that a blossoming crush came naturally.
 
It was well after that he realized something was happening to him; whether or not he was changing, that itching 'off' feeling triumphed over the constant rain of 'rightness'. The black outs, the constant sense of being watched and protected; all of these instances were leading him some where and yet he could not figure out exactly what it was until that day he discovered he had another 'him' trapped inside his body; his conscience. It was the day he almost committed murder towards a desperate soul that he acknowledged this dark presence was more than just moments of temporary insanity.
 
The puzzle he carried around his neck was possessed.
 
And while most would tremble in terror after understanding that knowledge, he found he couldn't; because that other soul filled the holes and gaps he felt everyday. Was it selfish for him to ignore the other's crimes? Yes. It is the constant reminder that he will be that other's anchor; his Yami will have him there to gift mercy to those who have wronged-- because wasn't it his mother that told him everyone deserved a second chance? Shouldn't that include the other him who lashes out only due to his fear?
 
It was only logical that the next step of their relationship would be to solidify their goals, because whatever was happening with that shadow realm was causing horrors for his world. So of course he submitted to the other him's power and cunning; it was only natural!
 
And yet there was a voice, a quiet voice that he assumed was located deep in his heart that forewarned him; with every opponent they had beat, two more were quick to take their place. He was being sought out, hunted down, but not for him; all the running and chasing was for his Yami and the puzzle. The closer they got to the answers the more horrific reality became, because the puzzle was just as much the key as his Yami... Eventually there would be an enemy they couldn't beat without severe consequences, how many times did he have to see his friends nearly be sacrificed-- too many.
 
But it was all for the game, all for that puzzle that glimmered so seductively and that spirit that filled the spaces and gapes of his existence. So he bit his tongue despite his fear and did the best he could to keep everyone safe; because he needed them alive as much as he needed that Yami and that puzzle. The crushes that had developed so naturally for his blond and spirit friends remained a secret; hidden behind his awe, respect and exuberant happiness. How long he could keep it up seemed to be the constant battle that he was losing every passing hour.
 
The day he found Jounouchi wrapped in the arms of another, trapped in a desperate need to feel that other's presence, was the day he finally opened his eyes. That blossoming flower that he nurtured for the blond fast became a beautiful iris; not the thornless desert rose that bloomed for his other spirit. He was surprised to find that the disappointment he felt in conjunction with that revelation was minimal. Perhaps that jarring stab of jealousy was due to the physical contact Jounouchi-kun was able relish in.
 
Naturally because his luck was like that, this entire discovery had happened during the time of finding his other's past. What could he possibly tell him when they reunited; how could he ever express that Yami was that someone, that husband he had been waiting for in his picture perfect marriage ideal?
 
Perhaps the shock was valid, but once again that quiet voice told him he shouldn't have been startled at all; while he was winning at their game that look in their eyes told him they had already known. Had always known of his feelings for them. Knowing that saddened him and yet there was anger, anger he couldn't show righteously, but there all the same.
 
And he had won.
 
And they had left.
 
And nothing could be said or written to describe that anguish he had felt-- still felt to this day. That constant, desperate need to reach out to his side for a connection; only to grasp at nothing. Always a constant hope that this time would be different and then plummet to reality quickly thereafter.
 
Was it that cool disregard his Yami-- Atemu gifted him with during their game? (But he was proud of him)
 
Or that nonchalant smile in the end? (Knowing that he would be alright)
 
But he wasn't alright!
 
He understood the role of husband and wife at an early stage; where most kids around him wrinkled their nose in embarrassment, he instead would sigh in longing. All those tender kisses his parents gave to each other; he wanted those with him. There would never be a photograph to caress in his times of loneliness; there was never even a chance for a confession!
 
So why did it hurt this much!
 
Why did that horrible man leave him knowing how he felt!
 
Couldn't they have said anything!
 
Anything to make this ripped feeling inside of him go away; the worriment that he was internally bleeding, make it stop!
 
And then...
 
That numb feeling crept upon him; slowly every morning it became a chore to get out of bed. What use was it to smile when nothing seemed to make him happy anymore; and what use was an education when every second of every hour of every day felt like disappointment towards the future?
 
He had found that missing piece of his puzzle that was his heart and soul.
 
And just as quickly someone had snatched it away making that structure crumble and fall.
 
And he was just too tired; too tired to try to build it up again because now that he knew what piece was missing; there would forever be spaces and gaps.
 
"Damn you Atemu."
 
-*-
 
Iris - “Your friendship means so much to me”, “wisdom”, and “faith”. Out of the several friendship bouquets, I decided that Jou's and Yugi's friendship is best described as an iris.
 
Desert Rose - A single red rose means “I love you”, a pink rose means “perfect happiness”, and a thornless rose means “love at first sight”. There is no singular definition for the desert rose; however after seeing it I made a compilation of separate meanings and found that it fits perfectly as well. The desert rose can come in many colors but pink and deep red are beautiful and the one I chose.