Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Purpose ❯ Part One ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Purpose
By: Tori-no-Miko
 
Disclaimer: Nah I don't own anything except for the storyline.
 
 
Part One
 
 
One thing Kaiba despised over Yugi Mouto at this very moment was her. Anzu. Mazaki. He felt disgusted with the idea of her trying to become his friend. For once he felt his intuition fail him. He had at first thought she was just a normal tomboy who has comformed to the normal standards of teenage girls' dressing habits, short skirts and what not, but now his mind was comfirmed on `slut'.
 
He watched her prance from one room to the other after arriving into class, greeting her friends one by one, even that flirt Otogi. After he said her greetings, she averted her gaze to the corner of the room. He stared right back at her with contempt.
 
“Good morning Kaiba.” She said with a ghost of a smile.
 
`At least she didn't force one.' He snorted in his mind. Without acknowledgement, he turned his attentions back to his book although in the corner of his eyes he watched her leave. He thought he saw something white but he focused on her again, and there was nothing but the back of her pink blazer.
 
Anzu frowned and sighed as her back faced him. She sat down in her spot and waited for another day to come where Kaiba could finally become happy.
 
 
17th October 20XX,
 
Today I saw her again. Geek #2. She claims to understand my pain and how it feels to grow without parents and burdened by a child too young to understand. What would she know? In fact how did she find out? I bet she was the one causing trouble in the company's database. Will she ever get the idea that I don't want friends. They'll only cause disturbance in my intricate schedule. I don't see how one girl could irritate me so much.
 
Kaiba Seto.
 
 
Anzu smiled widely attracting weird stares from the class, mainly her friends. She had just been allocated to be in the same room with Kaiba for the next biology camp. The odd numbers of girls and boys in the class meant that one pair would have to consist of one boy and one girl, which so happened to be Anzu and Kaiba.
 
At first the teacher consulted Anzu, concerning the infamous Kaiba's attitude to the student body, but Anzu had assured her that she was fine sleeping in the same cabin as Kaiba. Anzu herself unfortunately couldn't find a girl partner to share with since none of the girls really liked her attitude to boys. `They make good friends' was her reaction when asked what Jou, Honda and Yugi was to her, in a relationship-wise way. Her ignorance of the sexual attractions of the world drove a crevasse between any hope of friendship between the girls.
 
Kaiba on the other hand was renown for his inattention to other peoples needs and feelings. This was of course a main reason he could never make friends, not that he wanted any.
 
 
19th October 20XX,
 
Oh this is just what she wanted. The damned odd numbers of girls forced her to have to share a room with me on the compulsory biology camp. For once I wished she was more girly, Miss Friendship who preaches friendship doesn't have many girl friends in school her age doesn't she. That Mai, who seems to have slept her way around high school, and that Shizuka, Mutt's little sister, the word slut seems to come first. At least I have an excuse not to have many allies in the school. Too busy with my company.
 
Kaiba Seto.
 
 
Days later when they had arrived near Domino Lake, a good 3 hours away from the main centre of town, the biology teachers gave out their instructions and everyone was to become accustomed to their cabins, which they'll be spending time in for the next 4 days.
 
`Away from electricity. Away from running water. Away from technology.' The thought near scared Kaiba. If this mandatory 4 day field work wasn't worth 15% of his final grade, he would not be even bothering to deal with the idea. But ultimately 15% was a lot.
 
Anzu still had the grin pasted to her face, he wondered unconsciously in the back of his head whether it hurt her face muscles to smile that much.
 
“Kaiba glad to be your partner for the next 4 days!” Anzu laughed at the idea quietly. But Kaiba only stared at her dumbly.
 
 
 
23rd October 20XX,
 
Kill me now.
 
Kaiba Seto.
 
 
 
As expected of a camp, many people found that the work was little and most time was left more for life experience. In free time of course. Unlike most pairs, Kaiba and Anzu had gotten their work done in an extremely short time, leaving their teachers flabbergasted. So in short although shouldn't happen, they were given time off for the rest of those 2 days at the camp site.
 
After dinner Anzu noticed that Kaiba was missing. So she went to look for him, sun was setting and the curfew was drawing nearer. It didn't help that none of the guys were in this camp, since none of them did biology.
 
Anzu pulled her light jumper tighter to herself, it was getting darker and cooler. She never did like the dark, reminded her too much of the shadow realm. In the distance she heard water. Or more specifically, something hitting water.
 
She hid behind the trees and squinted to see in the growing darkness. There she saw Kaiba throwing pebbles at the pond. He was muttering something to himself too, quite inaudibly. But she focused her ears on him and heard perfectly.
 
“Damned teachers.” He threw a pebble, bouncing 3 times before dropping into the still water. “Damned Mazaki.” Another pebble. Anzu felt his hatred even from that far away, something stung at the back of her eyes.
 
`Why does he hate me so much? Does he really not want happiness?' She shook her head and kept herself on task.
 
“DAMN THIS ALL!” He collapsed on his knees, his head faced the ground and did not notice movement within the bushes where Anzu gasped at his sudden actions. “What did I do to deserve this life?”
 
“You don't.” A familiar voice told him. He quickly regained his position and stood up to face her.
 
“Mazaki, how much did you hear?” he growled in half anger and embarrassment. She only gave him a sad smile. “Don't be so damned sympathetic to me.”
 
“I'm not.” She replied sternly. “Like I said before, you have to move on; living in the past will not get you anywhere.” He knew she was talking about his past.
 
“Well, look where it has gotten me, money, company and a little brother.” He snorted and smirked. “I'm very well off.”
 
“Are you really?” She asked him softly. “Are you sure you don't feel empty, tending to your company everyday, watching your little brother grow up, less and less fond of you?”
 
He suppressed a growl, how did she know everything. His hatred doubled. Anzu seemed to sense his aura and she flinched at his glare not being able to help feeling slightly hurt. He ignored her and sat down facing the dark sky, it was a new moon today. After a moment of silence, Anzu knew she was right; waiting for no response, she made her way to Kaiba and sat next to him. Not directly next to him, a meter or so away, respecting his strict personal space issues.
 
When she sat down, she felt tired. She closed her eyes and listened to the water and feeling the wind blow against her. Kaiba took no notice of her but yet again he saw white from the corner of his eyes. At first he thought he saw wings, but when he looked at her again it was still completely dark.
 
`Nothing.' He thought to himself, wondering if he was going crazy.
 
For the rest of those few hours, they just sat there in compete silence.
 
 
 
24th October 20XX,
 
Does she really understand? Why would she? Why is she always right? It's 2 AM and I can't sleep because these questions keep bothering me. I should be happy that I get sleep for once, but no, this just has to bother me. Here I am writing in here, and across the room, no more than 3 meters away, she's there sleeping like nothing is going on. What a pig.
 
Kaiba Seto.
 
 
 
The next day, no contact had really occurred between Kaiba and Anzu, yet. Kaiba for once, felt the need for his questions to be answered only to realise that Anzu was missing. He despised the idea of asking classmates for her whereabouts, so he took up the task of physically looking for her himself. He lost all hope until he noticed something lying against a trees cool shade next to the lake hidden away from the rest of the camp, the one he remembered he was at last night.
 
Anzu lay there eyes closed and her posture lazily lying against the tree. He watched her for a minute wondering whether to wake her or not, but the hard-hearted side of him too control. He slowly approached and knelt beside her.
 
“Mazaki.” He said slowly. She reacted a bit but resumed to her nap.
 
No mum , dad…” She whispered desperately, obviously in the middle of a dream. He shuddered silently at the sadness that seemed to be released from that phrase.
 
“Mazaki,” he said louder this time. “Wake up.”
 
Her eyes slowly opened adjusting to the bright midday sun.
 
“Kai…ba?” She rubbed her eyes emphasising her shift from sleep to conscious mind. “What's wrong?” She asked quietly.
 
He didn't say a thing. He watched her intently until she looked fully conscious.
 
“Mazaki…” He said slowly. Her bright cerulean eyes stared questionably at him in response. “How did you find out about my past?” He was wondering many more thing aside from that but held them in till she answered.
 
“Um…” She looked quite disturbed. “…That time, Noa told us…” She said averting her gaze to her fists bunched up on her lap.
 
“Noa never said a thing to you or your friends.” Kaiba retorted, sensing a lie straight away. For what reason however, unknown. “Then how did you know Mokuba and my relationship is not going so well?” referring back to her statement earlier last night.
 
“…er…Guessing?...” She was in a bad position, she knew it.
 
Kaiba glared at her.
 
`Why is she feeding me all these lies?' he raised his eyebrow at her. She fidgeted nervously not daring to look directly at Kaiba's hard stare. He felt that the longer he is at Anzu's mercy he was going to strangle her.
 
“Tell me now.” He growled in impatience. “Or do I have to report this to the police and tell them you are stalking me?” her eyes grew wide.
 
“WHAT?” She felt like slapping senses into him. Of all people stalking Kaiba. Her? Her? Her? “No way!” She yelled, louder than she had intended though.
 
“Then?”
 
“Well…”
 
He shifted his weight onto his other foot, kneeling for this long was tiring him. After the shift, he felt that this would take even longer. He just sat down in his position, Anzu fully understanding. Silence smothered them like a heavy blanket.
 
“…Say, Kaiba…do you believe in angels?” She broke the silence after thinking for a while.
 
He almost groaned at the stupid question.
 
“Where are you leading to?” He said, not impatiently though.
 
“Well, I just want to know whether you believe that someone is watching you all the time, helping you up when you need it.” She said. Kaiba sensed a little bit of pride in there.
 
“No.” He said. “I don't believe in such pointless fairytales. Not after what I've been put through, which you claim to know so well.” He didn't look at her, was he feeling ashamed? No; he watched the wind rustle the leaves and felt that he could stay there for the rest of his life, though he knew practically he couldn't. Wondering why it went so quiet, he turned his attentions back to Anzu. His eyes widened when he saw her crying silently.
 
“Why?” she finally managed to choke out. Although tears were coming out of her eyes, she still had a timid smile.
 
“I have no reason to.” He said, merely answering her question. She continued letting tears flow. He wasn't so cruel to make her tears flow more. But he wasn't so kind as to comfort her. As he watched unamused at her sudden cry, he noticed something brighter than the sun on the lake, something on Anzu's back.
 
He almost gasped.
 
“Wings?!”
 
She nodded slowly rubbing her eyes.
 
“I'm an angel Kaiba…You guardian angel.”
 
 
 
 
Well there we have it, first part to the weirdest story I've ever thought of. There's one more part to this so I hope you enjoy the story.
 
Reviews are always greatly appreciated.