Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Pyrotechnics ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning: This fic contains moderate violence....and swearing (what do you expect with a fic containing Bakura and Malik?) Also some slash parings. You have been warned!

Chapter 1

"Attention class, before we start the lab, I must inform you we will be using flammable chemicals use your common sense and safety rules and regulations handbook as a guide for proper usage and disposal", the teacher announced. "Yeah, yeah, yeah whatever", Bakura said as he and Malik began playing with the Bunsen burner and whispering about burning down the school. "Bakura, be careful the last thing we need is for you to burn down the school", said Ryou. "Whatever" retorted Malik as he took a piece of magnesium. "Now students place a single magnesium strip and place it on the Bunsen burner and leave it there until it starts to spark, then take your tongs and put the strip in beaker filled with water for it to cool", the teacher stated. Bakura and Malik both smirked at eachother. "What are you two thinking?" inquired Ryou as he turned to Marik, noticing a seemingly unholy light burning in his violet gaze matching those in his yami and Bakura's. "Nothing....yet", Bakura and Malik said in unison. Ryou stared at the two yami's nervously. Bakura gave an evil smirk as he placed the glass of water by the magnesium strip.

"Watch yourselves students the strip maybe hot so place the strip in the beaker of water immediately" the teacher said trying to raise her voice above the aimless chatter, as the quartet's magnesium strip began to spark.

"Wow." the three stared hyponotized by the orange, red flickering. Ryou gave a small sigh. "I guess the old adage small things amuse small minds really is true," he muttered to himself. "Now put the strip into the water," continued Ryou. " WAIT..one more?" Malik pleaded placing another strip into the burner. "One more?" Bakura questioned with a smirk, "why have one more when u can have 10 more!" he announced and placed the whole roll onto the burner. "NO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" Ryou shouted frantically as a large burst of orange and red shot up from the burner. "KOOL!!" Marik said wide-eyed. "AHHHHH!!!" Ryou screamed as he grabbed the closest beaker of liquid and splashed it onto the mini inferno. "AWWWWW" the three said with a dejected look on their faces.

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS INFERNAL RACKETT??" the teacher screeched trudging over to the group of four with determination in her eyes. "Umm....we just ..uhh...had a little accident with the water, but its all good now" Ryou replied flashing an innocent smile. "Isn't guys?" he continued nudging Bakura slightly. "Oh....yes....very good..umm...couldn't get much gooder, I mean....better", Bakura blurted out nervously and gave a slight laugh. "Hmm," the teacher arched her eyebrow giving a suspicious glare at Marik and his yami. Marik and Malik quickly gave their best, "I'm innocent ..I'd never do anything wrong look". "I'm watching you three, Ryou I'm not so worried about, he has an 85 in this course unlike some students I know he actually does work", the teacher stated proudly flashing a quick wink at Ryou. "Thanks Miss," Ryou blushed slightly as the teacher walked away. "TEACHER'S PET!!" the three mocked. "AM NOT!" Ryou countered defensively. "Yeah..sure," Malik continued.

Ryou sighed and slowly began cleaning up the mess he had created moments earlier. Marik grabbed some paper towels and slowly began cleaning up the water that had been splashed everywhere. "Hmmm," Marik smelled the liquid that he had been cleaning. "Uh..question." "What the hell is it Marik?" Bakura replied coldly rolling his eyes. "Umm..is the water suppose to have a smell to it?" he cautiously questioned. "What the hell kind of a question is that? Of course water doesn't have a smell to it," Malik butted in. "Uhh, just wondering because ..umm...well," Marik continued. "Well what?" Bakura shot angrily. "Umm...I don't think Ryou put out our little blaze with the water, I mean...I think he grabbed the ethanol..It does look like water," Marik reasoned. " I can't believe you'd think that of my hikari, he isn't that dumb Marik, have you been sniffing chemicals again or something?" Bakura questioned. "No, I'm just saying I don't think he used water, it's an honest mistake," Marik simply stated. "So you're saying my light is a retard, is that what you're saying?" Bakura flashed Malik a glare. "NO! Not at all! Just chill jeez," Marik replied quickly. "Chill? Your called my light a retard, so basically your calling me a retard, then you have the audacity to tell me to chill?!" Bakura shouted as anger arose in his voice. "Oh, quick someone get the popcorn this is gonna be good," Malik said pulling up a stool and sitting down as a glass beaker broke.

"Shit! Ryou what did you do now?" Marik turned questioning Ryou. "Nothing" Ryou innocently replied. Malik turned to the direction of the noise only to be hit with a blinding orange flash. "AWSOME!!" Malik said as his jaw hung open. "Huh?" Bakura and Malik said as they swing their heads in the same direction Malik's was. "WOW!!" They said frozen in awe. The class watched in horror as the four stood in front of the blaze, three stood as if hypnotized by the dancing flames, and one-stood eyes wide in shock.

"OH MY GAWD, HURRY CLASS OUT TO THE FRONT OF THE SCHOOL NOW!" The teacher yelled frantically while ushering students out the classroom door. "Come on guys," Ryou nervously pleaded while grabbing hold of his yami and his other two lab partners and dragging them out the door. "What am I going to tell the others?" Ryou whispered to himself as he ran down the hallway with the three pyros.

~*~

"Jeez Tristan not so much shampoo, you'd thing the wig had lice or something...sheesh", Tea said while practising her French braid on her mannequin. "I just want the hair to look nice. I need all the marks I can get, I thought this class would b a breeze", Tristan replied with a slight groan while giving a scalp massage to his mannequin. "Well you thought wrong, you only took this class for the girls didn't you?" Mai questioned while setting up the curling iron and prepping her doll. "Yeah," Tristan answered with a sigh.

"Class, I'm giving you a half an hour to finish a proper updo on your mannequins then I'm coming around to look at them. Get into a group of three and get started," the teacher announced with a slight French accent. "Oh joy, I'm stuck with your two I guess," Tristan said in a monotone voice. "You should be thankful! Mai and myself have high marks in this class, that means *gasp* OH MY GAWD YOU COULD ACTUALLY HAVE A CHANCE AT PASSING!" Tea retorted sarcastically, and Mai gave a slight giggle. "HA! very funny Tea," Tristan replied while placing the mannequin head on the stand. "So, what hair style should we do?" Mai inquired while playing with the fake mannequin's hair. "Hmm," Tea thought aloud. "Something with curls." "Yeah, curls work plus I already plugged in the curling iron," Mai reasoned. "What about crimping? I like crimping," Tristan butted in. "No!" Mai and Tea spat back angrily. "WOOOWWW...ok ok curls it is, sheesh," Tristan responded while taking a seat on a stool.

The class continued to work diligently for the half-hour. "Time's almost up," the teacher announced looking around proudly at all the beautiful hair designs that had been created. "Almost done," Mai said while holding the curling iron close to the mannequin's pale scalp. "Ugh, I don't like it", Tristan said eyeing the doll's semi beehive with curls look. "What you mean you don't like it? I'd like to see you do better," Tea shot back at Tristan with her hands on her hips. "I bet I could, but you guys don't let me do anything," Tristan simply stated with a tinge of attitude. "Yeah whatever Tristan, we asked you if you wanted to do the bobby pins but you said 'no'," Tea countered. "Like you'd have let me anyways!" Tristan retorted. Mai continued to watch attentively at the quarrel that had began moments earlier, not realizing the wig had begun to smoke. "Tristan, don't talk to me, your being an asshole," Tea stated flatly crossing her arms and mumbling something incoherently. "Me? Being an asshole?" Tristan questioned with slight shock in his voice. "Yes," Tea answered coldly. "Puh!" Tristan replied.

"You have 3 minutes class," the teacher stated happily. Mai glanced over at the mannequin and let out a shrill screech while trying to wave the smoke away. "AHH! MY BEE HIVE!" Tea yelled grabbing a towel and trying to fan the smoke away, but to no avail. The smoke began to grow.

"Aww shit," Tristan said grabbing a bottle of hair spray. "This might work," he petitioned while spraying the can onto the smoking head. "NO! YOU IDIOT!! HAIRSRPAY IS FLAMMABLE!" Mai squealed as the head erupted into a giant ball of orange. "My bee hive," Tea whispered as she stood in shock. "Uh oh,wait! I KNOW!" Tristan announced as he ran over to the fire blanket that had been perfectly placed on the wall. "AHHHH!" Tristan wailed as he tripped over one of the hair dryer cords and knocking over the flaming head causing the fire to spread to the other mannequins. "OH DEAR GOD THE HEADS!" Mai yelled as Tea yelped and started hitting Tristan over the head with a conditioner bottle. "AHHHH!" All the girls in the classroom screeched as all their hard work slowly disintegrated. The blaze quickly spread to the hair chemical rack creating a mini explosion.

"OUT NOW!" The teacher yelled as the girls trotted out of the classroom coughing and wheezing. "What have we done?" Tristan said as he stared wide-eyed while shards of glass and plastic flew everywhere. "I'm out!" Tristan yelled while bolting towards the classroom door. "HEY! Ladies first," Mai argued and pulled Tristan back by this collar. "I don't see any ladies around here, plus age before beauty", Tristan countered. "Well, BRAINS BEFORE AGE OLD MAN!" Tea raged pushing both Mai and Tristan out of the way and scrambling down the hallway to the front of the school. Tristan and Mai quickly followed suit as the whole Cosmo room filled with flames. "Aww, I broke a nail," Mai stated while trying to keep up with Tristan. "IS THAT ALL YOU CAN THINK ABOUT AT A TIME LIKE THIS?!" Tristan questioned angrily. "What are we going to tell the others?" Tristan thought aloud as he and Mai raced toward the front of the school.

~*~

"Ewwww...Joey what the fuck did you put in this?" Duke questioned with a disgusted look on his face. "What do you mean, I followed the instructions," Joey replied with a curious look on his face while walking away from the oven with a tray of baked goods. "Taste this," Duke said as he took a piece of the distorted cake and handed it to his blonde baking partner. "..MPH!" Joey gave a muffled cry and scrambled to look for a place to discard the food in his mouth. "Told you," Duke said flatly crossing his arms over his frilly pink apron. "PUH! What the hell? I followed the instructions and it still tastes like crap," Joey replied while wiping his face on one of the towels nearby. "Oy Joey, obviously you must have messed up somewhere. Probably when I was reading the ingredients you grabbed the wrong thing like the moron you are!" Duke stated with slight frustration. "Right. It's just as much as your fault as it is mine!" Joey countered. "EXCUSE ME?" Duke inquired with utter shock. "You heard me, if I'm such a moron why did you let me put the ingredients in? Huh?" Joey questioned with a smirk. "If I didn't let you do anything YOU'D FAIL THE ASSIGNMENT DUMBASS! Sheesh, and I'm not the type of person to let someone fail," Duke answered matter of factly. "But obviously that doesn't matter now since we are both gonna fail because of you!" "THIS IS STILL ALL MY FAULT?! I CAN'T BELIVE YOU!" Joey screamed.

"Oh? Do I sense a problem in paradise?" Came a perky voice from the teacher as she walked over to the two arguing teens. "No Miss," Duke tried to cover. "We were just...umm...discussing something." Joey added. "Please try and keep it down boys, other students are trying to work too," the pleasantly plump teacher stated happily. "Yes miss," Duke and Joey answered defeated as the teacher gave a smile and ran over to another student who had lost control over one of the blenders.

"Shit, this is still all your fault!" Duke whispered angrily. "OH WHATEVER DUKE! Maybe we can see where we went wrong?" Joey said with a sigh. "WE? More like YOU!" Duke retorted while holding the list of ingredients and checking the items on the counter.

"YOU MORON!" Duke yelled. "What?" Joey questioned wide-eyed. "You used baking powder?" Duke inquired with anger eminent in his voice. "Uh...if it's there I used it," Joey replied. Duke slapped himself on the forehead with the palm of his hand. "IDIOT! You were suppose to use SODA! BAKING SODA!! NOT BAKING POWDER!" Duke angrily announced. "Oops....he he...sorry," Joey replied sheepishly and gave a slight blush. "OOPS?! IS THAT ALL YOU CAN SAY?!" Anger continuing to rise in Duke's tone. "Err..I'm very sorry?" Joey petitioned while continuing to blush. "I'm going to fail this class because of YOU!" Duke screamed and threw a towel at Joey. "Wow, anger management there Duke," Joey answered ducking while the towel landed on the stove burner. "ANGER MANAGEMENT?! I'LL GIVE YOU ANGER MANAGEMENT!" Duke yelled while making a be line for Joey.

"Ah ah ah, no fighting boys this is a happy classroom," the teacher piped in while grabbing Duke by his apron strings. Joey gulped nervously. "Duke, sweetie pie please calm down I'm sure Joseph did not mean to get you upset, it was probably nothing. I really don't want to have to put you two in time out," the teacher squeaked in an annoyingly perky voice. "Grrr," Duke mumbled trying to regain his composure. "Uh...I'm sorry DukeâEplease don't kill me," Joey pleaded. "Aww, see Duke? He is sorry, now you boys go back to your baking and I will check on your soon," the teacher said patting Duke on his shoulder reassuringly and walked over to another group of students. "After school, you're dead," Duke stated coldly and began cleaning up the ingredients. Joey stood frozen in sheer terror as Duke flashed an evil smirk. Joey gave a nervous laugh and began helping his pissed off partner clean up.

The two continued to clean in silence until.*sniff sniff* "You smell that?" Joey questioned as he stopped cleansing the counter top. "Smell what? Your soon to be dead carcass?" Duke said sarcastically. "No, I'm serious, it smells like smoke or something," Joey stated with a serious look on his face. "Smoke?" Duke questioned while smelling the air. "Yeah, I do, where do you think....OH MY GOD J-J-JOEY!" Duke yelped while pointing over to the mini inferno on top of the oven. "HOLY SHIT!" Joey screamed as he ran over to the oven. "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?" Duke yelled panicked. "THE TOWEL! THAT TOWEL YOU THREW AT ME MUST HAVE LANDED ON THE BURNER!" Joey screamed back while trying to put out the fire by fanning it with his apron. "NO! DON'T FAN IT!" Duke squealed. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Joey screamed at the top of his lungs as his apron caught fire. The other students just stood in pure shock like a bunch of deer's caught in a headlight at the events that had just occurred.

"OH JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH!! RUN CHILDREN," the teacher yelled as the students snapped out of there trance and raced out the classroom door. "ROLL AROUND! ROLL AROUND!" Duke screamed frantically at Joey who was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. "OH MY GOD I'M ON FUCKING FIRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Joey squealed as he ran threw the classroom door. "NO SHIT SHERLOCK! ROLL AROUND DUMBASS! STOP DROP AND ROLL!" Duke yelled as he ran after Joey down the hallway and out to the front of the school.

~*~

The teen sat down on the chair situated in front of the computer and began clicking away on the keyboard blocking out the noise from the hallway, completely engrossed in his work. 'Almost got this thing worked out,' Seto thought contentedly a small smile playing about his usually somber mouth. Suddenly a yell, resembling a battle cry echoed through the empty room. Glancing up Seto was met with the sight of Yami holding an open can of pop over head as Yugi tried, in vain, to grab it from the taller spirit, his short arms flailing above his head, small hands grasping the air in a helpless fashion. The short teen resembled a two-year-old trying to grab a cookie, and failing miserably.

"Yami that's mine gimme it back," he cried out pitifully jumping up and down still reaching for the can. "Yugi you've had too much sweets already," Yami replied sternly pop can held up. Seto glowered at the two who were obliviously unaware of the fact that they were interrupting his work. "Will the two of you bone-heads get the hell out of here? Some of us are trying to work," he snapped catching Yami's attention. Upon hearing his rivals voice Yami turned his attention away from his currently spastic light to glare at the tall brunette.

"You don't own this school Kaiba so you have no right to demand anything of me," Yami glared fiercely at his rival, crimson eyes narrowed, almost sparking with animosity. "Actually, Pharaoh," Seto said his tone full of sarcasm as he said the royal title. "I do own this portion of the school, Kaiba Corp. contributed everything you see in this room." Yami opened and closed his mouth trying to find a suitable reply, finding none the former Pharaoh grunted and crossed his arms making sure not to spill the drink, a small pout on his lips. Yugi's eyes glittered as he saw his opportunity to finally get his hand on the pop. He licked his lips in anticipation large violet eyes looked on their target, before pouncing on his unsuspecting yami and reaching for the can. Unfortunately for the small holder of the Millennium puzzle his brain was too clouded by the sugar that he failed to think of the fact that flailing his hand in an attempt to retrieve his drink was not as effective as grasping the can. Therefore, the open can of carbonated drink sailed through the air and landed on a computer, more specifically Seto Kaiba's computer. The very angry, 6'2" CEO of Kaiba Corp. who was storming over to the two, 5'2" and 5'5" spike haired teens with the intent of inflicting bodily harm.

"You stupid pine-apple headed little nitwits!" Seto's sapphire eyes burned with an almost inhuman rage as he pulled the two teens apart and lifted them effortlessly off the ground in even with his eyes. "Do either of you ignorant little whelps know what you have just done?" Yami and Yugi stared at the businessman eyes equally wide in surprise and fear, neither daring to answer in fear of arousing the CEO's ire even more. "Well do you?" Seto repeated shaking the two slightly an angry flush colouring his skin. "You have just destroyed vital data I have been working on for almost a year on my latest dueling technology! Now thanks to your combined idiocity I have just lost them!" Yami's crimson eyes darkened with guilt knowing that he was indeed part of the blame for the damage done.

"Forgive us Kaiba," he said solemnly, his head lowered unable to meet the blazing fire-light blue eyes of his rival. Seto growled and unceremoniously dropped the two and turned to pick up his uniform jacket, pulling out his cell phone Seto dialed and began to talk rapidly ignoring Yami and Yugi's presence completely. Yami sighed and looked at his light, who still looked stunned at Seto's outburst before he began to silently reprimand his light using their shared mental link.

*"Great now he's pissed, that's just what we need,"* he said. *"I told you to stop with the sugar, now Seto's angry at us."* *"I didn't mean to honest,"* Yugi replied earnestly, turning wide innocent eyes to his dark half.

The two continued their conversation as Seto shot out more commands on his phone, his tone hard as diamonds. The pop can lay forgotten on the computer before it began silently rolling across the table spilling more of its contents, until finally it fell with a muffled thud. The thud was muffled, unfortunately by the electrical wires of the numerous computers in the room. A sizzle, a spark and finally a small red-orange flame burst onto the wiring and slowly but surely spread.

Yami continued talking and Yugi's eyes began to wonder across the room until his large violet peepers finally fell onto the flames licking at the dark blue curtains of the window. Impossibly large plum coloured eyes became even larger at the sight of the flames and Yugi pulled at his Yami's sleeve his mouth imitating that of a fish out of water. "What is it Yugi?" Yami asked outloud as Yugi continued to open and close his mouth eyes growing larger. "Yugi? Answer me, what's wrong? What is it?"

"Will you shut the hell up? Ra, you'd think you two did enough damage," Seto muttered before returning to his conversation, or more precisely "corporate takeover" on the small electronic.

Yugi finally closed his mouth and breathed deeply closing his eyes. It became clear to him that neither his other half nor the CEO was understanding him, so he did as any other person would do at such a situation, he yelled, and effectively, catching Seto and Yami's attention.

"THE FUCKING COMPUTER IS ON DAMN FIRE AND ITS FUCKING SPREADING!" He yelled out at the top of his lungs. Seto and Yami both turned and their eyes widened. "SHIT!" Seto exclaimed before he grabbed his bag and headed quickly for the door hauling the two multi-coloured haired teens with him as he quickly as possible. Moving to the exit as quickly as his long legs could take him, Seto paused only to pull the fire alarm, however, before he could do so Joey came running down the hallway...on fire, while Duke ran after him yelling at him to roll. Marik, his yami, Bakura and Ryou came from another hall, the sandy blondes laughing maniacally with Bakura as Ryou glanced behind him nervously. Tristan came running from another direction an enraged Tea and Mai right after him both threatening him with a slow and painful death.

Soon students were steadily pouring through the exits, intent on escape not bothering to follow the rules given to them during firedrills, pushing and clawing their way out. However to a small group of students the chaos was ignored as something more entertaining was taking place. Joey Wheeler, or mutt as Seto Kaiba had dubbed him, was still yelling at the top of his lungs.

"Blow it out! Blow it out!" the panicking blonde ran in confused circles Duke running after him a flapping apron held out to try and smother the flames. "You're not a fuckin' candle dumbass, now stand still!" Yelled the green- eyed teen, his fourth attempt to putting his friend out failing once again, Duke stopped and as Joey ran by he conveniently put a sneakered foot in front of the teen causing him to fall on the ground.

"Roll Joey!" He said as he fell upon the blonde and began battering the flames with his frilled apron. Joey began to roll frantically, with the brunette smacking the licking flames with the cooking accessory. Malik's lavender eyes widened at the sight and a joyous smile appeared on the spirit's lips, finally he could get the dog back for failing to destroy the Pharaoh during Battle City. The golden spirit jumped forward and vigorously kicked the rolling blonde. "Ow! Dammit what the fuck are ya doin' ya psycho?!" Joey yelled rolling to get away from the booted foot making its way to his side. Seto raised a fine brow and turned to the laughing Marik. "What, exactly, is your maniac of a yami doing?" Marik instantly stopped and looked the reincarnated priest in the eyes, his face solemn, causing an uncharacteristic frisson of fear to move down everyone in the group's spines. The blonde Egyptian never looked solemn, well not unless he was planning something, which was usually a cause for concern. "My yami is not a maniac," he said his tone calm. "He's psychotic, schizophrenic, deranged, and suffers from disillusions of grandeur, but he is not, and never has been a maniac." Through his calm explanation Marik's face remained cool and impassive. Seto's face was similar, except for his eyebrows that rose high on his forehead. Marik continued on his eyes slowly losing the calm look.

"However, I on the other hand AM a maniac!" With the exclamation the golden haired teen ran and jumped on his darker half's back bringing both teens to the ground. The group watched in varying degrees of shock as the two Egyptians began rolling on the ground play fighting like two sleek leopard cubs, trying to best one another.

"Okay...that was....enlightening," said Yami, looking at the two while standing next to Seto. "They are like flies, or gold fishes, (1) their attention span moves from short to non existent."

Suddenly the sound of sirens was finally heard and the group turned and looked at the school for the first time since running out. Various shades of eyes widened at the sight before them; Domino High stood, flames flickering out of school classrooms, spreading steadily throughout the school, billowing black smokes rose to the sky in a hypnotic dance with the wind.

"Oh my Ra," said Yami in the stunned silence.

"Whoah," murmured Joey the flames reflecting in his eyes.

"Wow! Awesome!" cried Malik, who had stopped wrestling his light to look back at the burning building. Bakura had the similar reaction, though less vocal, Marik stood next to the white haired spirit entranced by the flames flickering in the building.

"Pretty," he whispered almost reverently, a small smile playing about his lips. "Oh my gosh!" Ryou cried, his chocolate brown eyes wide in panic. "We've destroyed the school!"

~*To be continued*~

Author's note:

1) Gold fishes have short memories, not attention spans.

Wolf: Whew! That was fun

Pheonix: I concur

Ryou: *Looking nervous* Umm...w-we're not going to be in trouble with the authorities will we?

Malik: Don't worry, we can always blame the mutt

Marik and Bakura: *nods while playing with matches*

Wolf: O.O Who gave them the matches?

Pheonix: *shifts nervously* Umm...it wasn't me

Seto and Wolf: (-__-) Way to go...they'll probably burn us alive

Wolf: Yeah,they'd probably save Ryou

Ryou: ^__^* hehe