Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Time Master! ❯ And now, Egypt presents the most confusing plot devices! ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Kazuki Takahashi does, and I think he should be crowned King of Anime for it, too.
 
The halls were dark as the torches began to flicker off, and a chill breeze was coming from the windows as Knight Sith made her way up the stairway onto the second floor. She hadn't seen anyone since her meeting with Bakura, and she figured that was just as well. Inside, she wondered if letting him leave with Sami was a smart thing to do, which was what brought her to just in front of Atemu's bedroom doors. Large, with regal murals swirling around, it almost scared Knight Sith to be there. In all her years of service to Atemu and his father, she'd never gone into his room. Determined, she knocked on the door. Slowly, it opened, and Atemu stood there, pleasantly surprised to see her.
 
“Sith?” he asked, raising an eyebrow, “Is everything all right?” He stepped aside to let her in, and promptly shut the door when she came through. It was clear something was quite wrong, though. It was normal for a high-ranking officer to walk with a stiff posture, but Knight Sith was tense. And her skin was much paler than Atemu remembered.
 
“No. I've made a mistake and I think I need to leave the palace to fix it,” she replied, and Atemu looked at her worriedly as she ended with, “Just for a few hours.” He frowned, and asked her to sit down on one of the chairs. She did so, and closed her eyes. She didn't bother to look as she heard Atemu join her.
 
“What is wrong, Sith?” he asked calmly, though firmly. It wasn't unusual for her to sidestep his questions, and he knew they had no time for her jokes if something was indeed destroying the fabrics of time, as she seemed to think.
 
“I have let Bakura travel with her,” she replied, her voice holding just a bit of shakiness to it, “He seems to think that relying on the Thief King will help her… and now I am not so sure, sir. Many things could hurt them, and I may well have let it.” She sighed, and looked down as she folded her gloved hands. Atemu patted her shoulder; this was a difficult situation, especially since it was slowly concerning her.
 
“It's all right. You did what you thought was best,” Atemu assured her, “I'm sure I'd have done the same thing. I know they'll be safe.” Sith narrowed her eyes carefully and snorted in mock amusement. Those were not so comforting words to her.
 
“But you are not Bakura,” Sith said bitterly, shivering, “Either in this time or theirs, Bakura is not always trustworthy, or particularly cautious, either. I'm not sure to trust him.” Atemu looked down, trying to think of something to say, anything to help his knight. But all that came was a question that he had already posed to her.
 
“…do you believe she is you?” he asked, and Sith looked up at him, her eyes widening slowly as she blinked. Carefully, she thought of her answer. In many ways, Sami wasn't like her; she never would've taken another name, no matter where she ended up, and she wouldn't have become so bitter… would she? But, in more ways, Sami was just like her as well. The ability to amass so much attention with her words, and to keep her friends as safe as she could… and the need to do so… it had the markings of knighthood. She slowly nodded.
 
“I do, sir,” Sith replied, “I know she is who I am. Look-wise, we are the same. Mannerisms… we are the same. I believe what she says. I just hope… she believes it as well.” Atemu nodded, but neither spoke again at that point. They both continued to look downward in quiet thought, both wondering just what all of what happened could have possibly meant.
 
-----------------------------------
 
“I promise I'll kill him good, mama!” The sobbing voice grew louder as Sami ran through the ruins, sometimes having to crawl through a hole somewhere or climb over a destroyed roof to continue. But she was getting close to the source, she knew it. And she also knew he was definitely drunk. She could smell alcohol in the air, and it irritated her nose. Whoever this person was, she was sure he couldn't have been sane to emit such a thick scent of the intoxicating liquid.
 
“Damn it, just shut up for a minute!” she hissed when the voice howled in sadness, as she jumped out of a nest of tangled vines. The city was in even worse shape than she thought. Most of the buildings had been destroyed for so long, not even the ruins themselves were completely holding the place up. Only one house seemed to have survived, and getting there was considerably more tedious than Sami felt should've been possible. She almost regretted leaving her sword behind, even more so when she heard the voice speak again. It knew of her presence.
 
“What was that!?” the voice screeched, no longer sobbing, “They're coming back, sister. But I won't let them kill you again. Oh no, this time, I'm ready…” Sami finally came to a stop in front of a large stairwell, and looked down into it. Light was flickering down there, and the voice was strongest there. Whoever this was, he was close by, and the sound of sharpening metal made Sami warily consider turning back. Just as she was about to turn, a sharp hand grasped her shoulder, and furiously, her tail slammed into her would-be attacker, knocking him over. He yelped in shock, and Sami's ears lowered.
 
“Bakura?” she asked calmly, keeping her voice down, “You followed me down here?” She heard a low growl, and helped the old spirit to his feet. When he did get up, though, she instantly regretted it.
 
“Yes I did. How dare you leave me up there, worrying to hell over you,” he scolded angrily, his eyes glaring down at her, “Do not ever ignore me when I tell you to stay again, or next time I'm not coming after you. Do you have any idea what could've happened here?” Once again, Sami felt an incredible force in him that terrified her, something she would never be used to. Why was he acting like this to her, all of the sudden? What changed?
 
“Bakura, are you all right?” she whispered, calmly, but genuinely concerned, “You're not acting like yourself. You haven't scolded me so harshly before. What happened in your outing?” Bakura's hard expression softened when he heard the concern in Sami's voice. He knew he probably scared her, but what bothered him was that she knew something was very wrong in him. How could she know? He had done his best to hide it, and now, he felt he should just tell her what was wrong.
 
“…I've never once thought of you as anything more than Ryou's girl,” Bakura started, his voice grim as he spoke, “You know… that we were to be married in the future, correct?” Sami nodded. She recalled that moment only too well, mainly because she herself didn't want to believe it. But she had made it clear such a situation wasn't happening.
 
“Bakura, that proves nothing,” she stated firmly, “I will not marry you, I have said this. What else did you see?”
 
“…myself, Sam,” he replied slowly, “I saw myself, Sami, and it was nothing I expected. I… being in a world of ruin for so long changed me. When I found you in that future, I was loving. I was gentle, and I was… happy. It was too shocking, and now it's affecting me really badly.” He looked away, and Sami finally seemed to understand the true effects the future had on Ryou and Bakura. She sighed; it was no wonder her response brought such little assurance to Ryou. She looked carefully at Bakura, and for once, he finally looked back at her.
 
“I think… we need to face this eventually,” Sami told him, “I don't know what this means, but I understand. Bakura… just know, I don't agree with the future.” Bakura snorted mockingly. He expected that answer from her. A slight smile crossed him.
 
“I don't, either, but the effects are real, dear,” he replied calmly, “I've felt more protective of you. Don't take it the wrong way, but I can't help but want to keep you safe now.” He chuckled, until he saw Sami's flat glare at him. His lips tightened, and she looked ahead.
 
“…I don't need or want you to protect me,” she said bluntly, almost coldly, “I have Ryou for that, and though I thank you, you are intruding.” Bakura frowned at this, though he understood her point. In a way, he had always been intruding on them, just slightly, and now it was hitting them hard.
 
“I'm sorry,” he replied, hoping he hadn't caused a permanent wedge between himself and her, “Just know that I too will do what I can. I don't agree with the future. Hell, I don't even like it, but it's real and a possibility, and everything is already centering on your life.” He looked down at that point, and Sami could tell he was thinking, “I just wish I knew what this center means. I don't like it.”
 
“Neither do I,” Sami whispered, and both of them remained silent at that point. There was a lot to think of, simply in just what had transpired in the future. Neither still knew whether such a future even existed, but there would always be a possibility. Finally, she asked, “When did the cataclysm happen?”
 
“I can't remember,” he replied, “I don't think we can stop it, though. Some things can't be prevented, and this nearly wiped out the world.” He glanced toward Sami, who had clenched her fists as the sandstorm began to kick up a little. He felt it; just barely a whisper, but a spark to try and stop such a catastrophe, and instantly, he said, “Sami, no!” Sami spun and glared at him, and for once, he felt he had made a mistake in telling her what he did.
 
“…why… NOT!?” she screamed, her wings stiffening, “Are you telling me to not even try? Bakura, if I can do anything to save Ryou's life and keep him from dying, you would be insane to think I wouldn't take it! I'm going to do this!” Bakura wondered what she could actually do, but before he voiced the question, she was already storming toward some direction, and it was all he could do to grab her by the arm. Furiously, she said, “Let go of me!”
 
“Sami, stop it. I know you're angry, but there's naught you can do,” he tried to explain as calmly as he could, “You need to calm down. Ryou is safe for now. You're already drained; what if you killed yourself in the process!?”
 
“Then at least I tried,” Sami growled, her eyes flashing a dangerous red to warn Bakura off, “Ryou is my husband, Bakura. I would give my magic… and my life to make sure he lived. Why can you not understand that?” Bakura was about to reproach her, but quickly dismissed it as he saw tears forming in the corner of the woman's eyes. They didn't fall, but her emotions were still as strong as ever. Finally, when he let her go, she stated, “You are to never tell me what I can and cannot do, or I will melt that ring and send it to hell.” Bakura's eyes widened in horror at the threat. Any threat she made, he had learned to heed the hard way, and this was in no way an exception.
 
“But… you wouldn't!” he exclaimed, though he knew she definitely would. She simply narrowed her eyes at him, until a voice from below snapped both of them away from their thoughts. They had obviously forgotten they were still in the middle of the ruins.
 
“Who's up there!?” the voice called again, this time a little more sober, though still quite drunk. Sami shivered, obviously not trusting the sanity of the person addressing them. Bakura, however, wasn't nearly as worried as their `guest' arrived at the top of the stairs. His eyes were slightly red, a sign to how drunk he actually managed to make himself, and half of his cloak was slathered with alcohol, meaning he either spilled it or slipped on a puddle of it. Either way, the smell made Sami sick.
 
“Who ther hell are you guysh?” he asked, his words slurring slightly. Sami blinked, not sure of how she should even be answering, and when she heard Bakura laughing at what she was sure was himself, she gave him an icy glare.
 
“We're leaving. You need to bathe,” Sami replied flatly, taking Bakura's arm. She was about to drag him away when the drunk stopped her.
 
“Waisht a minutsh!” he exclaimed, smiling, “Knish Shith, ish that you?” Sami looked at him, terrified, as his eyes lit up. Obviously, he was sober enough to recognize Sith… except that it wasn't actually her. Or at least the Sith he wanted to see.
 
“I am not,” she replied bitterly, “Now let me pass.” The drunk still stood there, and when Sami's eye twitched, she angrily exclaimed, “Do you want a broken arm!?”
 
“Arsh you a newsh neighbor, then?” the man asked, still very confused, “Welcomesh to the neighborhoodsh, shweetheart!” He went to hug her, purely because he had no idea what was going on. Sami, on the verge of a mental breakdown, slammed the man so hard with her fist, that he went flying across the room.
 
PERVERT!” she screamed, as the man slammed into the wall and slid down. He groaned in agony at the hit, and cautiously, Bakura walked over. The man stood up, and Sami, who was ready for another strike, whipped her tail furiously. But, the man walked over to a bucket, and dumped the contents on himself. He coughed, and then shook his head as they realized he dumped water on himself. Then, he looked at Sami, shaking his head.
 
“Sorry about that, girlie,” he said, trying to keep himself from falling over, “I got myself a little too drunk there. That punch was what I needed to get myself a little sober. Now, seriously, who are you two?” He looked at Bakura, eyes widened at how similar they looked, and then he glanced at Sami. He knew he recognized her, but her insistence on not being Knight Sith thoroughly confused him. Bakura himself answered for them both.
 
“I'm you, and this woman is… Sami,” Bakura replied, “The reason we're here is fairly simple. You've heard gossip about the possibility of time being shattered, right?” The man nodded slowly, and sat down, picking up an empty bottle and placing it on a table in a pitiful attempt to clean up.
 
“Of course. There've been rumors, but I know about it,” the man, obviously Bakura in this time, stated, “I saw the pharaoh and his army marching a bunch of outlanders toward the palace. I thought maybe he grew a backbone and ordered a raid, but no, it was only for a trial.” Sami blinked.
 
“Wait, you knew about that!?” she asked, “How'd you find out about the trial?” The past Bakura smiled genuinely.
 
“Rumors, dear. Men at bars gossip nearly as badly as women in the market,” he replied, “They said there was a girl that looked identical to Knight Sith running around, too. I guess that was true.” He looked Sami over as he spoke, and she twitched angrily. He simply said, “Well, you do look like her.”
 
“It's a long story to explain,” Bakura replied, trying to keep the conversation short. It was clear Sami was getting angry, “We believe she might be Sith in the distant future. That's why we're here. Maybe you could tell her more about Sith.” The past Bakura seemed to be considering this, and nodded. He gestured for the two to sit down, which they did.
 
“Knight Sith, as you probably already know, is one of the officers to the Pharaoh and is considered the strongest out of his royal guard,” the past Bakura explained, “She's an Esper, she comes from a continent north of here. Other than that, though, there's not much to really tell about her. I mean, she has a violent temper and she's pretty good on manners, but she doesn't really talk much about herself.” Sami seemed to be thinking hard about this, and she already knew instantly what the difference between her and Sith was. Mannerism.
 
“I don't think it could be… me,” she said, and Bakura looked at her critically, “I am no lady, Bakura. My own temper is volatile and argumentative at best. Is it possible to… lose manners?” Bakura hummed as he patted Sami's back, and the past Bakura considered her question carefully. It was becoming glaringly obvious that being in this time irritated her. He smiled warmly, and nodded.
 
“It's possible. How far into the future do you go?” the other Bakura asked.
 
“Around 3,000 years,” Sami replied, and the look in the Bakura from the past's eyes was pure shock. He looked over at himself, raising a very confused brow, and then back to Sami. He had never considered such a time leap in his life, and now he understood why the pharaoh had been so skeptical on their story.
 
“How on earth… is that possible!?” he asked, though it came out much louder than he hoped, “Well, it doesn't matter. I suppose it's best if I don't know. But, I've told you all I know about Sith, so I think now you might need to leave.” He stood up, gesturing for Bakura and Sami to do the same. They did so, but he glanced worriedly at Sami, hoping he hadn't upset her; she was becoming increasingly edgy as the seconds flew.
 
“Wait, I still have some more questions,” Sami said, “For instance, what is your name?” Bakura glared at her, slightly offended, but his past self just grinned, flattered that she'd ask. He bowed graciously to her.
 
“I'm known as many things, but you,” he added, looking at her, “You can call me Thief King.” Sami blinked. She couldn't understand why, but she knew she was blushing a bit. Bakura twitched and grabbed her wrist. His past was using his charm to snare Sami into his trap, and he refused to let that happen, if only for Ryou's sake.
 
“Okay, we're leaving!” Bakura growled, dragging Sami off and up the stairs, “Thanks for nothing, Thief King.” Sami turned frantically, looking back at the thief king as she was being led away. Something about him seemed familiar, but it wasn't about Bakura. Or… was it? She was getting very confused. The thief king simply waved to her until she and Bakura went up the stairs and turned the corner. They weaved their way out of the ruins in silence. Bakura was furious with something, and Sami was still thinking about the thief king, wondering what the feeling of familiarity was about.
 
“Bakura, can I ask you something?” Sami asked when they were out of the ruins and back in the desert, this time heading back toward the palace. When Bakura nodded, she continued, “Who exactly is the thief king? He feels familiar, but I don't know from who. It feels… mixed.” Bakura stopped, and turned towards her. He looked hesitant about something, and for the moment, Sami feared he might not answer her. But, he did.
 
“It is,” he replied quietly, “I'm not sure I can explain it, Sam, but… technically Ryou was him in this time, but I'm what happened when he died with Zork still in possession of him.” He waited for Sami to respond, but he was sure all he managed to do was confuse her further. And he was right.
 
“…what?” she asked, not unkindly, but in an annoyed fashion, “That really doesn't make sense, Bakura. Is it like he split his soul? Or are you some sort of alternate reality?”
 
“I don't know,” Bakura replied, “I've never asked. But it's the same with Yami, hell, even with Ishtar, possibly. I'm just trying to answer you. I mean, I remember everything about him, that's why I didn't want you seeing him alone.” For a long minute, he and Sami simply stared at each other. Finally, Sami's expression softened a bit and she sighed. She didn't like how little they had learned, but she was grateful Bakura had done it. In a way, it made her feel less cold toward him, to know he wanted to help her.
 
“We'll deal with this later,” she said calmly, “We have what you brought me here for, so what do we do now?”
 
“We get you back into the palace and with Ryou,” Bakura stated bluntly, looking at his watch, though it no longer functioned, “You still haven't slept and it's probably 2 in the morning by now. Do you want me to talk to Sith?” Sami looked at the sand, and shook her head. If anything, she would speak with Sith herself.
 
“No. I want to work this out,” she replied, and then smiled weakly, “Thank you, though. I have but one question, and then we can leave.” Chuckling, though not surprised, Bakura smirked and raised an eyebrow. Sami asked, “Sith said Zork came back. So, why isn't the thief king dead? And why isn't he trying to kill us?” Bakura frowned, realizing Sami was right. Sith did mention Zork returning. Which meant the thief king shouldn't have been there at all. Neither should Atemu, or the high priests, for that matter. Something now felt wrong.
 
“I… have no idea,” Bakura said, multiple thoughts going through his head, “I think this is a bad sign. Sami, come on. We've got to get back to the palace. I have to talk to Sith.” Before Sami could ask why, he was pulling her back toward the palace. Neither of them spoke.
 
Nearly four hours later, with only three hours of sleep, Sami woke up to someone shaking her. Furious, she opened one eye and saw it was Sith, or what was a blurry mass of what could be Sith, though it took a minute for her eyes to adjust to the dark. Next to her, Ryou was snoring, which reassured her a little bit. Careful not to wake him, she sat up.
 
“What is it?” she whispered, getting out of the bed slowly, “It can't possibly be morning.” Sith chuckled, and walked back a bit to allow Sami some room.
 
“It's just before daybreak,” Sith replied, as Sami pulled on her glasses, “We need to get started early, though. Are you ready?” Sami didn't bother answering, especially since Sith opened the door into the hall before she could answer, flooding the room with torchlight. Sami narrowed her eyes a little, groggily stepping out into the hall, Sith right behind her. No one was out yet, save for the two of them, and it certainly didn't please her to know this.
 
“Are we working alone?” she asked, as Sith closed the door, leaving Ryou to snore as loud as he wanted for once. Sith raised an amused eyebrow when Ryou started coughing a bit, and then turned her attention back to Sami. They walked through the hall and out into the courtyard, where it was bathed in what little sun had started to rise.
 
“For now, yes,” Sith replied, “The pharaoh will help us later, after your friends' trials have been concluded. By then, we should have over 1000 years covered. Maybe we'll even find where Zork managed to crawl back in… if he did this.” Sami blinked at hearing Zork's name, and then decided now was a good time to confront Sith about what she had discovered the previous night.
 
“Sith, I have a few questions about Zork,” Sami started, “What did you mean when you said he's returning?” Sith glanced at her, feeling her discomfort. Then she looked up into the sky thoughtfully.
 
“Zork isn't just an enemy of Egypt,” Sith replied, “He is a god, yes, but he's troublesome wherever he goes. He is well-known by many Espers for his cruelty to his servants and his disregard for human life. He appeared in Nesce over five hundred years ago, according to the tomes, and was sentenced to life in Oblivion by Lord Bahamut. The only problem is, there were loopholes that could be exploited.” Sami looked at Sith sternly.
 
“Loopholes?” she asked, both relieved and grim. Sith nodded, and they stopped in a large circle of glowing rocks that encircled a large, pointed one poking into the sky.
 
“Oblivion can mean many things. To Espers, it is a frozen pocket of time, and that's where Bahamut sent Zork. What he never realized was that time was fragile,” Sith explained, setting her sword down and sitting on a rock, “It can be shattered quite easily. Zork is restless, no doubt, and if anyone is foolish enough to attempt to tamper with time, as your friends did so thoughtlessly, then anyone with any trace of magic can rip a hole in Oblivion itself and render time a meaningless thing.” Sami thought about this critically. Things were making a little more sense now. Atemu only knew about Zork because Sith must've told him the legend. Or perhaps he read the tomes himself. Sami looked up at the large rock that spanned forever upwards.
 
“Well, if he's going to shatter time, we need to stop him,” Sami concluded, “Let's get started.” Sith smiled, and got off of the rock. She and Sami closed their eyes, focusing their power into the stone. They didn't notice when the bushes in the distance rustled, a sign that someone was watching them.
 
-------------------------------------
 
“That still doesn't make sense, Jou! We can't just go and report what we heard!” Honda called, as he and Jou ran down the hallway and then into the main staircase. Except for Knight Sith and Sami, no one else was up. Jou screeched to a stop and looked back at his friend.
 
“It sounded pretty important to me, pal,” Jou replied, as Honda came up behind him, “Look, I'm not sure what's going on and why there are two of her, but they're doing something and we gotta tell someone. What if they do something really bad? You heard what they said. Time's being shattered!” Honda bit his lip, ushering Jou to keep his voice down. His loud mouth already got everyone in trouble once, and Honda didn't want this to do so again.
 
“All right, it sounds important. I'll give you that,” Honda whispered sternly, “But think, man. Sami wouldn't do something that could hurt anyone. And from how they sounded, I don't think they wanted us listening in.” Jou turned around, obviously ignoring the last part. Honda blinked, and they began to walk slowly toward the great staircase leading to where the priest's chambers were.
 
“It don't matter, buddy. This Zork guy sounds bad. I think at least the pharaoh should know,” Jou suggested, as they reached the top step.
 
“Dude, I'm pretty sure the pharaoh knows,” Honda retorted, raising an annoyed brow, “Sith said he was helping them later. Seriously, I don't think we should get anyone involved. Do you really want TWO Samis angry with us?” Jou snickered, as Honda had a good point. One Sami could easily kill them both. Two of them would probably destroy Egypt, and possibly the rest of the world. He sighed.
 
“Fine, I won't get the big dude involved,” he sighed, almost defeated. But his voice perked as he added, “I'll just get one of them high priests! Maybe they can tell us what all this time stuff is that Sith and Sami keeps talking about!” Honda's eyes widened and he desperately wanted to protest. But Jou was already running toward one of the priests' rooms. Calling frantically, Honda ran to catch up. Jou didn't slow until he was outside the door to the first room, and it was wide open. The two skidded to a halt, and Jou poked his head inside. Mahaado was there, sitting at his table.
 
“What do I do?” he whispered, as though worried someone would hear him, “Seth found this, and he's suspicious. I'll be thrown out of the court if he says anything. I'll be mocked. I'll… I can't do this.” Angrily, Mahaado threw a small spherical device onto the table and got up. He spotted Jou and Honda immediately and said, “May I help you?”
 
“Uh… hi, guy?” Jou said, unable to find anything important or even useful to say. Honda sighed and pushed him out of the way, feeling he was obviously the better speaker now.
 
“We need to ask you something important,” he replied politely, “It's about Zork.” Mahaado perked a concerned brow and allowed the two to enter, though he didn't understand how they could've known about Zork. Honda stood against a wall and Jou sat on the bed. Mahaado looked at Honda questioningly as he returned to the table, sitting down.
 
“Please, ask me your question,” he said softly.
 
“We overheard Sith and Sami talking, and they said that Zork escaped hell,” Honda began slowly, “But they're up to some sort of magic, and we're worried. We saw them casting something, and we want to know what it is.” Mahaado blinked, thinking carefully about what he heard. Glancing at a report he was given, he saw that the pharaoh had written a special note on what Sith would be doing. He smiled.
 
“Don't worry for your friends. They're simply using a spell called Libra to traverse the time-space continuum without actually having to go there themselves,” Mahaado replied calmly, “That spell you saw was a focus of raw magical power. Sith was asked to do this.” He hoped that would relieve the two boys, but it didn't. Or at least Jou wasn't convinced.
 
“But what about this Zork person!?” Jou blurted, “What if he gets them while they're casting!? We're toast if they're attacked!” Mahaado smiled again, confidently.
 
“He would not dare strike either Sith or her counterpart under the protection of the Pharaoh,” Mahaado reassured proudly, “And if he tries, the Pharaoh will deal him an equally brutal blow.” Jou and Honda glanced at each other, both trying to make something of that statement. Honda seemed to understand, but Jou didn't.
 
“Wait, if the Pharaoh's gonna protect Sith, does this mean he l…”
 
“Jou, shut up!” Honda yelled, clamping his mouth shut. Mahaado blinked as Honda let go, and Jou glared at him angrily. He knew what Jou was about to ask, but he kept his mouth shut. He knew the answer.
 
“Geez! I'm sorry!” Jou exclaimed angrily, “I just didn't think he'd protect everyone.” Mahaado kept his gentle smile as Jou dusted his shirt off and sulked back into the chair.
 
“The Pharaoh protects all that he can,” Mahaado explained, glancing at the table, “Now then, do you have any more questions? I actually have quite a few things on my mind, and I need some time to think.” Jou and Honda glanced at each other again, both intrigued at why Mahaado would want them to leave so suddenly. Jou followed Mahaado's glance to the picture, and raised an eyebrow.
 
“Like what?” Jou asked, and in all rudeness, went to grab the spherical device before Mahaado could stop him or even answer, “What's this?” Mahaado's eyes bulged, but he wasn't fast enough to stop Jou.
 
“W-wait! Stop!” Mahaado cried, as Jou flipped the device on. The sphere broke down into hovering pieces until it assembled into a holographic screen. The screen fizzled, and then formed to show a picture of Karim. Jou was shocked. Why would Mahaado have a picture of Karim?
 
“Hey! I think I remember that guy,” Honda said, pointing to the screen, “Wasn't he one of the officers that read us our rights when we were marched into the courtroom?”
 
“Yeah, I think he was!” Jou agreed, and then turned to a very flustered Mahaado, “But… why do you have his picture? Are you friends?” Mahaado blinked, obviously very uncomfortable, and then nodded.
 
“Yes. We're close friends,” Mahaado said slowly, still nodding, “I've known him for over five years now. The picture is… well, Sith gave me the device. I'm filling it with pictures of my friends.” Honda looked skeptical, as Jou flipped through the pictures on the device. There was only the picture of Karim.
 
“There's only one picture on here, though,” Jou stated, confused. Mahaado's brow furrowed angrily and he snatched the device away.
 
“Stop going through my possessions, please!” Mahaado snapped, thrusting the device into his pocket, “Now, is there anything about what's going on that you wish to know, or shall I have the guards remove you?” Jou blinked, and gulped. He glanced at Honda, mostly because he knew Honda was getting frustrated with him. Honda sighed, and ushered Jou up.
 
“Actually, we're wondering if you could come with us and watch Sith and Sami,” Honda replied, trying to remain polite, “See, we want to see that they'll be all right. We're not really trustful like Anzu or Ryou. We need to see something to believe it.” Jou nodded vigorously, but all that managed to do was make them look even more false. Mahaado raised an amused eyebrow.
 
“So in other words, you're nosy?” he asked, chuckling. Jou still nodded, and Mahaado sighed, looking out the window. The sun was half-risen now; he had at least an hour before he had to begin his lessons. “All right. I'll accompany you until the sun's fully risen. But after that, you are to leave Sith and Sami to their work,” Mahaado said sternly. He walked to the door, opening it. The hallway was cool with the last of the early morning breeze. Mahaado walked into the hall, Jou and Honda close behind. He began regretting letting them in at all, especially since he was now on his way to spy on Sith.
 
“Remember now. Stay quiet. Sith will not enjoy learning of our presence.”
 
-----------------------------(End chapter)
 
Well, after meeting with the Thief King and learning more about what she could possibly be, Sami is now in the process of weeding out time itself from the dreaded god, Zork. With the aid of Sith, can she do so safely? Or will they need the pharaoh's help? And, can Mahaado keep Jou and Honda silent while they watch the spell in question? Or will they be discovered and possibly killed? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!