Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Time Master! ❯ Don't Argue with an Esper ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Takahashi does, and not even an offer for world power can change that.
 
Something felt very wrong as Ryou's head began to clear from his dream. He didn't know what, but something was uncomfortable. Reaching out, he tried to wake Sami, to make sure she was all right, and yet she wasn't there. When he couldn't touch her, Ryou's eyes bolted open and he sat up frantically. He realized he was in a cold sweat. Looking around the room, he understood why. Sami was nowhere to be found, and that was unusual for her. She always waited for him to awaken before leaving their room.
 
“Sami?” he called, throwing the covers off, “Are you here?” He got out of the bed, shivering. He'd just had a dream that Sami was taken away by a large dragon, and now she was gone. Ryou felt very sick as he recalled the details of the dream; they were foggy at best, but the panic had been real. Frantic, he reached for his shirt and pulled it over his head.
 
“She and Sith left over half an hour ago,” came Bakura's voice. Ryou blinked, and looked around again, but Bakura wasn't in sight either. “I'm over here, in the chair,” Bakura said, when Ryou raised a confused brow. Ryou sat on the bed, pulling his shoes over. Bakura was still nowhere in sight, and now Ryou was worried something really was happening.
 
“How come you're not visible?” he asked, lacing one sneaker up, “And where did you go last night? I saw Sami leaving, and I heard her talking to you.” Bakura noted the slight jealousy in Ryou's voice, and though no one could see, he smiled weakly.
 
“I've come to realize that the reason I'm able to be physical since meeting Sami is because of her power. It's much more intense than we think, and because she's focusing it all on something else, I can't keep a physical form,” Bakura replied, and his voice dropped, “As for last night, we simply left to talk to a friend of mine. I thought he could help Sami figure this whole mess out.” Ryou looked distantly as he laced up the other sneaker.
 
“Oh,” he said simply, “And did he help?” Bakura frowned slightly, as he also heard the `And did you say anything improper to her?' running through Ryou's mind. He was slightly hurt that Ryou would think that, but he knew why that appeared in the boy's mind. He'd done so before, though mostly it was a tease. Neither he nor Sami ever took it seriously, but Ryou possibly did.
 
“No, he didn't help much at all. If anything, seeing him was a waste, even though Sami said otherwise,” Bakura replied, “As for me, I didn't say a damn thing. You don't need to worry. I'd never come between you two, and Sami made it clear that she's not interested anyway. Though why she did, I don't know. I didn't mean to imply that I'd try.” Ryou's shoulders slumped. He heard something in Bakura's voice that made him sad. It was only there for a second, but it sounded like… sadness. Bakura was sad about something that happened last night, but Ryou decided not to ask. He simply stood up.
 
“I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you,” Ryou said, “I guess I'm just paranoid. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can do anything to help Sami. If I have her powers, any little bit helps, right?” Absently, Ryou picked up the Millennium Ring and slipped it around his neck, smiling. Out of the corner of his eye, he could barely see Bakura's outline as it also rose from the seat.
 
“Yes, that's probably a smart idea,” Bakura said, agreeing, “I'll stay in the ring in case something bad happens to you. Oh, and Ryou…?” Ryou was about to walk out the door, but hearing Bakura call him stopped him, and he turned around as Bakura said, “She loves you, and she'd die for you. Don't ever forget that, even when she gets distant, like she does.” Ryou's smile faded, but it wasn't because he was upset. It was because he was worried now. He did get awfully short with Sami, even though he tried to control his temper. Did he push her away? He was about to ask, but Bakura already vanished into the ring, unable to stay in the physical world for a while. Ryou sighed, and stepped out into the sunlight. He walked down the lonely hall, but his mind was elsewhere.
 
“She would die for me…” Ryou whispered to himself, “That dream… was it a message for that? Is she… really going to leave? I don't know, but…” Ryou was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't even realize that Malik was calling him. It took Malik jumping on his back and pulling on his hair to realize his presence. When he did notice, Malik frowned, and Ryou was sure he made another person angry. But that wasn't the case, as he soon learned.
 
“Hey, Ryou. We have a slight problem,” Malik said grimly, as they both walked down the hall, “Yugi says Yami's unable to keep a physical form, and I got a message from Ishtar that was so frantic, he must've been screaming at the top of his lungs to get it across. I think we're in deeper crud than we thought.” Ryou smiled weakly as Malik explained.
 
“That? Yeah, Bakura has that too,” Ryou replied, “But it's nothing to worry about. Bakura says it's because Sami's magic isn't swirling around anymore. It's being focused into something else, and it's so strong that it isn't allowing her power to roam freely like it should.” Malik raised a perplexed brow, as though he had no idea what Ryou was talking about. But he could guess, and he guessed that Espers not only had the power to control elements, they could manipulate the mundane, too. With that guess, he silently laughed. No wonder freaky things started happening once their lives mixed with Sami's.
 
“Wait, if that's true, then can't Katt hold that sort of power?” Malik asked, as they headed out of the hall and into a smaller court, “She's an Esper like Sami is.”
 
“Remember what she said, though? She's not as powerful,” Ryou replied, looking down, “And she probably didn't use her powers much on our world, anyway. Sami uses it nearly every day, sometimes just for the sake of showing Bakura that she can actually hurt him.” Malik snickered at that statement. Though Katt had threatened Ishtar as well, he knew she couldn't back it up. He also knew that his house would be torched in seconds if Katt had gone to Sami instead.
 
“Wonderful. This trip gets more and more confusing,” Malik commented, until he saw two shapes walking towards them. One was muscular, but Malik couldn't make out who it was. The other was easy to guess, as he was robotic. Forte was walking towards them, and he looked upset. “Ryou, they actually came here with us?” Malik asked.
 
“I suppose they did,” Ryou replied, equally as surprised, “Forte, what's wrong?” Forte stopped when he was close, and Basch was the one he was traveling with. Both looked grim, but Forte was even more so. And, when he heard why, Ryou understood.
 
“Something's trying to disrupt mom,” Forte replied, “I'm not sure what, but I think you should do something. I asked Sith for instruction, since mom's busy, but Sith said that my duty is simply to patrol the area. She suggested going to you.” Ryou hummed, but didn't know what to make of the statement. Going to him would be useless if Sami's power was warping. He was barely strong enough to control her physically. His mental abilities were nothing compared to her. Quietly, he turned to Basch for an answer.
 
“Sith said the same for me. It appears that while we are suitable for battle, she would prefer your help instead,” Basch replied, “She wouldn't say what was watching them, but she requested you specifically.” Ryou nodded, and then turned to Malik.
 
“Sorry, Malik. I don't know what's going on, but I'd better get there,” Ryou said. Malik at first looked upset, but then he grinned and patted Ryou on the back. Whatever he was going to say could wait; this sounded like true trouble.
 
“Nah, don't worry about me. Just get your ass over there and help your wife,” Malik replied confidently, “I'd trample a group if Katt was in danger. I understand.” Ryou smiled, grateful that Malik understood. He followed Forte quickly away from the central courtyard and toward a larger expanse where large rocks had been gathered in some form of circle. A giant pillar of purple energy stood in its center, the magic coming off of it seeming to reverberate within every fiber of Ryou's body. Knight Sith was standing back from it, with Sami closer, her eyes closed as she chanted something continuously. When she saw Ryou and Forte approaching, Knight Sith looked over and nodded.
 
“I see that your robot decided what he found was a threat,” she commented quietly, still looking at the swirling pillar of energy. Ryou nodded, but he found his gaze was fixed on the pillar as well, not on either of the two identical women. Sami had just launched a spell at the pillar, and while it parted, it did nothing else except rip Ryou's attention from the magic, reminding him he had come for a reason.
 
“What's bothering you both?” Ryou finally asked, tearing his eyes away. The brightness of the sky hurt, as his eyes had become used to the dark energy. Sith blinked and looked at him slowly, almost cautiously. Her expression, and the tightening of her lips gave her such a similar look to Sami, Ryou almost wondered if he was looking at his own wife. She pointed toward the walls of the outer court.
 
“We have company among us,” she replied calmly, whispering so as not to disturb what Ryou now was sure was herself, “I wish for little distraction, and they are your friends. Talk to them.” Ryou blinked as Sith spoke. He didn't think anyone else would've been up, as it was still early in the morning. But he agreed, and as Sith sat down and watched him, he walked over to the wall, going into the small opening. He frowned when he realized that what he'd seen was Jou and Honda. Crouched over another low wall and peeking out at the knight, they watched silently as the pillar continued to swirl, completely unaware of Ryou's presence.
 
“Think they found anything yet?” Jou asked, snickering. Sami had cursed angrily as a tendril of energy lashed her arm quickly, but painfully. She let Sith take over for the moment, but it did the same thing to the knight as well. Honda bit his lip; whatever they found, it was hostile. He nodded slowly.
 
“They did, but it's attacking them,” Honda replied in a hushed whisper, “I don't think it's what they're looking for, though. Sam's pretty mad that it got her.” Ryou sighed silently, and put a hand on each Jou and Honda's backs. He had every intention of scaring them away, since he knew words wouldn't have too much effect.
 
“As am I. Now go,” Ryou said sternly, and though his tone wasn't threatening, neither Jou nor Honda expected him to have been so close. They both jumped up, screaming as they ran off directly for the pillar. Ryou swore furiously; that was the one direction they couldn't go in, and he quickly raced after them, praying they wouldn't get too far. Unfortunately, they did.
 
GHOST!!!” Jou screamed, picking up speed as the knight came into view. She stood up, readying her sword to block them, and yet they both bowled her over entirely too easily, continuing to scream about paranormal phenomena as they raced ever further onwards. Ryou slowed down to help her up, and she glared angrily at him when she finally stood. Like Sami, her enraged gaze was absolutely frightening.
 
“What in the seven levels of hell did you say!?” she demanded, picking up her sword, “I did not tell you to send them to me, you insolent child!” Ryou flinched at such a scold, and nervously straightened himself to speak.
 
“I asked what they were doing, and they just ran,” Ryou told her earnestly, eyeing her sword. He was sure she'd go after him, but she refrained. Instead, she sighed and grabbed his wrists, quickly making their way toward the pillar as well.
 
“Regardless, we must hurry and stop them. I… she found something, and it…” Sith suddenly stopped, and Ryou saw why. The pillar was faltering, every trace of magic evaporating within seconds. Jou and Honda both ran back in sheer horror, and Sami herself drew her own blade, holding it to deflect whatever might come out at her. The aura dissipated, but then thickened into a large, purple beast with a canine-like head, and very much a wolfish body, though it stood on its hind legs. It snapped its huge jaws angrily at everyone surrounding the pillar.
 
“Oh shit!” Honda screamed, “What is that!?”
 
SAMI!” Ryou yelled, breaking from Sith's grasp. He ran ahead, grabbed Sami's arm, and dragged her back toward where the knight stood, looking at the beast in pure shock. Sami's wings ruffled nervously as Ryou held onto her, the beast roaring at them for getting too close. She looked over at the knight.
 
“That… that is… a behemoth!” Sami replied breathlessly, “But… why is it here!? Was it waiting for us!?” The knight nodded, both women holding up their swords.
 
“Yes. This is worse than we thought,” Sith replied, drawing her own blade again, “This isn't Zork's doing. His power was released from the hole created, but this isn't him…” Ryou looked at Sith, but she looked back toward Jou and Honda, both who looked paler than they should've been.
 
“Go to the pharaoh and get him here now!” she ordered, and faster than lightning, both boys were gone. Then she turned to Ryou and said, “Help us! Now!” Ryou nodded, and turned to face the angry creature. Its red eyes seemed to be burning invisible holes into each of them, but none of them backed off. Sami was the first to make a move, her own eyes flashing red to show her anger as she spat on the ground.
 
DIE!” She yelled, running up toward the creature. It went to bite, but she jumped onto its snout, slamming it in between its eyes with her sword. It reared back, throwing her off, but she did her job. Blood sprayed onto the ground. Thick, blue blood. Ryou felt his stomach turn from the sight, and he knew Sami wasn't doing much better when some of the spray splashed her. When the monster opened its mouth to chomp her, Sith attacked next. She threw her sword into its snout, and as she planned, it bounced off, though still splitting the snout open. She jumped up, catching her sword, and used her weight to slam into the monster again, causing a large roar of agony from the beast.
 
“Ryou, now!” she called, wrestling her sword from the beast's leathery skin, “It's distracted, but it'll be freed soon! Use Flare!” Ryou's expression turned to panic; he never used Flare before. He didn't think even Sami could after she sealed it twice, and yet Sith was urging him to try. He looked at Sami, but she nodded with the same definite order the knight had given him. And, when she spoke, Ryou couldn't turn away. Her voice was pleading.
 
“Please,” she said, “Neither Sith nor I have any magic left right now.” Ryou tensed at the worry in Sami's voice. He'd try to cast. He closed his eyes, remembering what Sami had taught him, and focused hard. He urged an explosion. A huge one, one that would fill the sky with so much fire, it'd hurt to look into until it all dissipated. He could feel the ground below him shaking, and his concentration doubled. Sami deflected a blow near his right, and Sith slashed at the beast's head. While that was uncomfortable, to feel the rush of their jumps, it didn't distract Ryou. He felt Sami and Sith both back up, and could feel heat rising from the ground. Before he even knew what he was actually doing, he heard himself scream the one spell Sith had commanded him to use.
 
FLARE!” he yelled, or more, howled. Beams of red energy cut through the ground around him, eventually exploding into a large path until it reached the purple beast, where the explosion became even more intense. Sami cursed angrily, having to shield her eyes, and when Ryou cracked his eye open just enough to see a little, he was blinded from the explosion. The roars of agony coming from the large monster as each beam exploded onto it was nearly deafening as well, but Ryou didn't cover his ears. He'd grabbed Sami, or who he was sure was Sami, hugging her tightly in terror from his spell. He knew she was trying to say something, but the shrill cries drowned her out, until the explosion eventually died down. The heat slowly faded away, the beams evaporated, and the cries began to subside. Ryou let his grip on the woman go, opening his eyes. The pillar of energy was gone, replaced with a large, pointed rock. The sky was a clear blue, harsh compared to the pulsating purple. Sith looked around.
 
“Did we take it out?” she asked, walking up to the pillar and touching it. Sami let go of Ryou and walked over as well. She frowned when she saw nothing, and looked around carefully. No sign of the monster seemed to have remained.
 
“We must have,” she concluded, though grim, “But we've also taken out our spell, too. I doubt we'll be able to open the portal up again, not in our states.” Ryou looked down guiltily as Atemu came running up behind him, along with all of the high priests, Jou, and Honda.
 
“I'm sorry,” Ryou whispered, as Sami walked back to place a hand on his shoulder, “I didn't mean to mess your power up. I didn't want that… that thing to hurt you. Either of you.” He looked up at Sami's face with tears falling down his cheeks, and she smiled comfortingly. Sith, meanwhile, was looking directly at the group that Jou had gathered.
 
“Ryou, you did exactly what we asked,” Sami replied calmly, placing both hands on his shoulders for fear he might actually collapse, “You didn't mess up my power. I did. I'm the one who found that monster. But you destroyed it. How could you mess me up protecting me?” Ryou's eyes widened, and he found that he actually wanted to cry even more. He could feel the ring shaking, and he knew Bakura was very worried about both of them. Sami continued to stare at him, and he knew she was concerned as well.
 
“What was it?” he asked, trying to stand up. He felt weak, but he didn't know if that was simply from the magic he expended or from his emotions. Sami urged him to sit down.
 
“It was a creature from the void of hell,” Sith replied before Sami could answer, as she walked over with Atemu, “I believe you refer to hell as the Shadow Realm? You might consider it a “shadow” beast.”
 
“Normally, these “shadow” beasts don't pay heed to any spells that might be penetrating the portals of the time-space continuum,” Sami began softly, as Sith nodded with agreement, “But someone put that one on guard. It was waiting for us. And we're not sure it was Zork that did this. He wouldn't bother with underlings, according to Sith.” Ryou sniffled, drying the tears that had fallen. Though it simply looked like he was staring, he was actually briefing Bakura in, and Bakura had agreed. Atemu, who'd been listening as much as Sith had, crossed his arms.
 
“If it wasn't Zork, who sent it?” he asked, looking at Sith quizzically. Sith's eyes narrowed sadly, and she shook her head, looking away.
 
“We could not find that out, sir,” she replied regretfully, “But we know that they are using Zork's energy wave to do this. They must have some connection to him… somehow.” Atemu uncrossed his arms when he heard the defeated tone in Sith's voice. Sami looked at her with concern, and Ryou glanced at both girls.
 
“What must we do to find them?” Atemu asked, and cupped Sith's chin to force her to look at him. Her eyes had watered, but she didn't shed them. She looked at him.
 
“We need a trap,” she suggested, “Something that ties our world with hell. A portal of our own, yet one that only we can activate and shut, without having to traverse the continuum itself.” Atemu seemed to consider this, especially with how serious Sith was. He called Mahaado and Shaddah over, speaking quickly and briefly, but both priests shook their heads at something. He sent them away and then turned back to Sith.
 
“Ahkenaden would be our best bet, then,” Atemu said, “You've done well, Sith. For now, I want you to return with me. You both need your rest. Until I hear from Ahkenaden, I expect you both to restrain from using your magic. You've been drained deeply, and I don't want you to be incapacitated.” Sith smiled, and nodded. Atemu turned to leave for the palace interior, and as everyone else followed, Sith turned to Sami and Ryou. She smiled slightly, seeing them sitting, but it was more for comfort than anything else.
 
“The Pharaoh is right. Let us rest for now,” Sith commanded. She bowed politely, and then left the two alone. For a few minutes, they let the silence greet them. Ryou had nothing to say, and Sami seemed to be deeply focused on something she wasn't saying to him. Finally, she forced herself to speak.
 
“Are you all right, Ryou?” she asked. Her sudden question shocked Ryou slightly, as he'd been in deep thought as well, but he looked at her, and nodded slowly. In all honesty, he was confused with what had happened, but he was relieved that everyone was all right.
 
“I'm fine, dear,” he replied, though he sounded distant, and not even really convincing, “Just tired. But I should really tell Bakura all of this. He might be able to help us a little.” Sami perked an amused eyebrow, crossing her legs.
 
“Where is he, anyway?” she asked, “I'd have thought you'd bring him with you.”
 
“He's in the ring. He can't keep a physical form when your power's being diverted,” Ryou replied simply, “It's the same for Yami, too. That's probably why I didn't start actually seeing him until just after meeting you.” Sami nodded, and looked away for a moment. Obviously, that bothered her a good deal. Finally, she stretched her legs and got off of the rock she'd been resting on.
 
“Well, if I get some rest, he should be back in a few hours,” she replied, walking toward where Sith had gone, “Make sure that you ask him for lying lessons too, Ryou. You didn't sound convincing in the least, and it's only out of respect that I'm not pressing you.” Ryou's eyes widened as Sami waved, and then vanished from his sight around a corner. He shouldn't have been too surprised. He never could pull off a lie with her. Once again, he let the silence float in the air for a few minutes as he thought over what had happened. It scared him, but not because they were in danger. He didn't know what had scared him, or at least what scared him the most.
 
`Will you really be all right?' Bakura's voice came along, and out of the corner of his eye, Ryou could see Bakura sitting where Sami once was, `It isn't nice to lie to your wife.' Ryou looked down.
 
“I know, but I don't know what's wrong,” Ryou replied quietly, “I mean… I was terrified. But out of the blue, out of nowhere, without training, I used Flare. And… and it felt horrifying. I felt anger. Hatred, even.” Bakura sighed as Ryou explained.
 
`I'm not surprised. Weren't you angry that Sami was put in danger?' he asked, `Sami said that her emotions drastically affect her magic. Yours must be doing the same. That's why you killed the Goddess, remember?' Ryou nodded, but that didn't comfort him.
 
“But I've never felt anything like this,” Ryou replied, “Is this what Sami goes through when she uses magic?”
 
`It'd explain why she's so bitchy all the time,' Bakura joked, and Ryou glared at him.
 
“I'd love to see how you are after blowing up a group of organ-eating mutants,” Ryou growled, looking away. Bakura grinned, trying to control his laughter as Ryou asked, “What's so funny!?”
 
`You sound like Sami,' Bakura replied simply, `It's almost funny, because you're even better with insults than she is.' At first, Ryou fumed. He never really thought he would ever be as grumpy as Sami, but now he realized that Bakura was right. He did sound amazingly like Sami when he was mad. Slowly, he smiled too, and then began to laugh. It was actually pretty funny to hear.
 
“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap,” Ryou said through small fits of laughter, “I guess I'm just too tired to deal with you making remarks about what happened.” Bakura nodded, looking toward where Sami had gone off. Ryou knew he was worried about her, and he didn't blame the old spirit. She could very possibly have lost her power a third time.
 
`I suppose we should probably rest up as well,' Bakura commented, rising from the rock they were sitting on, `It may do Sami, and everyone else, some good to see us recovering. You can't feel it, but your body's in shock from the power you threw. It's not like having Shadow powers. It drains you, not the Shadow Realm.' Ryou nodded absently, though he'd heard most of what was said. If that was true, he understood why Sami looked exhausted even when she rested. Finally, he stood up as well. It felt awkward for everything to be so quiet, especially after seeing a beast from hell, but Ryou didn't complain. He made his way toward the palace, Bakura walking behind him like a shadow. Inside was just as quiet. The torches were now all lit, and there were a few servants walking about to do the morning chores. Not one of them spoke to Ryou, and he thought that just as well as they shouldn't. He walked to where he and Sami had stayed, and pushed open the door.
 
“Sami? Are you in here?” he asked, walking in before she answered. And he found that she wasn't even there. He tilted his head, looking on the table for a note or clue as to where she was, but there was nothing.
 
“Where did she go!?” Ryou asked, annoyed. Sami said she'd be resting, so it'd make sense that she'd be asleep, wouldn't it? Ryou thought it did. He grumbled angrily, sitting on the bed as Katt walked by. She heard him and poked her head in.
 
“Sami's eating some breakfast with the rest of the gang,” Katt replied, “Malik's been looking for you, too. So, are you coming or are you going to sulk in here?” Ryou blinked, surprised that Katt would be that rude to him. He sighed, and stood up again, walking out of the room and down the hall, toward the dining area with her.
 
“What does he want?” Ryou asked, referring to Malik. Katt glanced at him, and shook her head slowly to show that she didn't actually know.
 
“He said something about magic, but he seemed pretty worried,” Katt replied, “He said that you rushed over to my sister when you saw that huge pillar of energy. What was going on?” Ryou stared for a minute at the woman, wondering if it was best not to tell her about the beast they'd killed. He decided she should know after all.
 
“Something came out of the portal she opened, and it tried to attack us all,” Ryou said simply, and Katt gasped, “We're all fine, but Malik must've seen it, or Sami must've told him about it.” Katt laughed.
 
“That'd explain the long stream of curses coming out of my sister's mouth,” she snickered, opening the large doors into the dining area. As she had said, everyone was already inside, eating breakfast. Katt left Ryou to find Malik, and Ryou saw that Sami was eating quietly with Yugi, Anzu, and Ryuuzaki. Jou and Honda were nowhere to be found; either they hadn't returned yet or they were too scared to eat. Confused, but not surprised at any of that, Ryou walked over and sat next to Sami.
 
“Ryou! We were wondering if you'd come and eat something!” Yugi exclaimed, stuffing a large roll in his mouth and spitting crumbs out as he spoke. Sami glared at him, and Ryou raised an amused eyebrow, but no one objected.
 
“Sorry. I was talking to Katt,” Ryou replied, and Sami gave him a questioning look, “She came in when I couldn't find you in our room. She said that Malik wanted to see me.” Sami nodded shortly as she ate a piece of fruit that she couldn't yet identify. She washed it down with some water.
 
“He does. I told him not to bother you,” Sami said simply, “I told him that you'll find him when you're not completely exhausted. That was one hell of an explosion you created. You even stumped me, and that's not something to take lightly.” Ryou blushed slightly at having heard that his exertion of power perplexed an Esper. But that blush disappeared when Sami thrust a plate of him at him and said, “Before you start, just eat a little something. You need it.” Ryou sighed, but picked up a roll and ate it slowly. It was filled with honey, and it was really sweet. When he finished, he decided it was safe to talk, and ask, about what had happened. He explained what he felt, and how confusing it made the world feel, with Sami nodding all the while. But, when it came time for his questions, she had very few answers.
 
“So, you don't know how my magic became so effective?” Ryou asked, as Anzu reached over to pour herself some juice. Sami took another bite of fruit and shook her head.
 
“No. I have my theories, but that's all they are,” Sami replied, “It could be anything. It could be that you were angry, or it could be that you were too close to the pillar of energy. It could even be the Esper energy inside of you compensating for the lack of Shadow powers you no longer had at the moment. I don't know, and maybe that's best that we don't.” Ryou felt slightly defeated that Sami couldn't tell him what was happening, but maybe it truly wasn't important. After all, Bakura was starting to come back into a physical body, so it must've been what Sami suggested. For a while, neither of them spoke as Yugi and Ryuuzaki chattered on about dueling, until Sami decided to spring something onto Ryou.
 
“By the way, Sith suggested that we head over to Nesce to see what's wrong,” she said when Yugi finished, “That's where I come from, so we should be able to see why what happened with you happened. At least, we'll learn more about myself.” Everyone in the entire room stared, as she spoke loudly enough to catch even Atemu's attention. Ryou actually choked on his juice, much to Bakura's amusement. Whether Sami did that on purpose or not hadn't been gleamed, but she definitely captured the whole room.
 
“W-what!?” Ryou asked, “But… but why? And will it help? We're 3000 years into the past, Sami. I don't know if…”
 
“In our time, Nesce is in ruins,” Sami began seriously, frowning, “There is nothing there in our time, Ryou. Here, we might be able to understand the full effects of what can happen with you. Because you're a human and I'm not, your body should've been rejecting the magical energies I emit. But instead, you seem to be adapting to them, and I want to know why. That power could hurt you, especially if you let it fly off like you did.” Ryou blinked, staring at Sami. She was serious. He glanced over his shoulder at Bakura, but even Bakura nodded in agreement.
 
“You think he could stop the cataclysm, though?” Yugi asked, and Sami snapped to look at him seriously. Her shoulders drooped, and she shook her head.
 
“I wouldn't let him try,” she said, “That would certainly kill him, and possibly me as well. I'm not letting him commit suicide because we don't know what he's capable of.”
 
“But maybe this is why we're here. Ryou's super powerful now. Maybe he really can save our future,” Ryuuzaki argued, but Sami shook her head again.
 
“No. I'm not letting him do this,” Sami said sternly, as Ryou looked down, “There is another way, and we have about 200 years to figure it out. I'm not putting Ryou in danger.” Something felt wrong inside of Ryou, but he couldn't place it as Sami spoke. She knew what it was, he knew that, but for whatever reason, she didn't want to say. Was she… scared? Again? He looked over at her as she argued with everyone over his new power. She was getting furious. And only Malik and Yugi seemed to be heeding that.
 
“Sam, think about it! It's one simple spell to wipe out whatever…” Jou began, and Sami stopped him. She stood up and slammed her fists so furiously into the table that it cracked under her palms. A shrill wind blew, ruffling her wings angrily.
 
“I said NO! I will not repeat myself again! No, no, NO!” Sami yelled, at first slowly, and then getting louder as she spoke, “The fact that you all care so little for someone you claim to be a friend disgusts me. This discussion is over, and my decision, which is the only one that will count from now on, is made. Ryou will NOT use his power until I know what it will do. And if you all pester me again, I will kill you until everyone in this room, save for myself, Ryou, and a select few, are dead!” She turned around quickly and stormed out of the room, leaving complete silence in her wake. Katt, who'd been silent along with Malik, rushed after Sami. Ryou looked at everyone. They all stared at him, and for once, he found that he was just as furious with them all as Sami was.
 
“She was right in what she said,” he started quietly, standing up, “You don't seem to care about what happens to me as long as we're all okay. Don't ever let me hear you all argue with her about me. What you all said… hurt me.” Instantly the atmosphere in the room changed. Ryou walked out, but he felt it. He'd left everyone feeling guilty for what they'd said. Atemu watched him carefully as he walked out, and though he passed Sith, Ryou said nothing to her. The ring chimed slowly.
 
`Ryou, will you be all right?' Bakura asked, worried. Ryou stopped, and shook his head. He felt warm, and he knew he was sweating. He wanted to cry, but he didn't let himself.
 
“No. I'm not,” Ryou replied shakily, “It feels like everyone just wants me for my power now. Ryuuzaki thinks I'm a superweapon, and Jou said that what I'd have to do is simple, but it isn't! And they don't… they don't care. They didn't care that I didn't actually want to do this. They didn't care that I wanted to live peacefully. Not one of them care about what I want, and now I just want…”
 
`What do you want?' Bakura asked when Ryou stopped speaking. Ryou started breathing heavily.
 
“I want… I want to go home,” Ryou said quietly, “We have what we need. I want to go home and live my life. I want them all to stop putting me in danger because they want an adventure. I want them all to stop trying to convince Sami to let us have fun when it's not even my decision. And I want to know why it's taken me this long to feel it.” Bakura bit his lip and looked down.
 
`I think we should speak with Sami,' Bakura said, and helped Ryou walk back to their room, `She knew this would happen. And she'll know how to help you. She always seems to know, anyway.' Ryou laughed, as Bakura had a point; Sami seemed to understand whatever his problem had been. They walked a few feet until Malik and Yugi called Ryou, making him stop again. They rushed up.
 
“Ryou, we're sorry!” Yugi exclaimed quickly, sadly, “We didn't mean for them to say that to her. We're sorry we didn't stop them.” Ryou looked at them blankly. He knew they didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't want to talk to anyone right then.
 
“I tried to tell everyone to take it easy. They were all getting excited when they saw the monster. They thought that was who was doing this,” Malik added, just as regretfully, “But they don't understand, Ryou. None of them do, and we're sorry. But please don't leave.” Ryou's frown deepened. Malik was right, but it still didn't comfort the pale boy.
 
“I'm going to talk to Sami,” Ryou replied, “I know you both were trying to help me out earlier. That's all you both ever do, is to help me, and I appreciate it. But… but Sami's known what's happening for over two years, and now I see why she's never been too trustful of our friends, save for maybe Anzu. She's… in her own way, she's been trying to protect me so I didn't get hurt. And it all backfired because of this.” Malik looked down, realizing that he opened the door to what happened.
 
“She must feel terrible,” he said, “I mean, she wanted to know, but she was even against this… and I did exactly what you hated.” Ryou smiled weakly.
 
“You were trying to help us, Malik,” Ryou said, “We both know this. But when everyone else heard… Sami meant for just Kaiba to know what was going on, and somehow everyone else got involved. Anzu and Miho were innocent. They happened to be there when we got back, but… everything's getting screwed up, and I don't even remember why or how.” Malik patted Ryou's back as Yugi led the way to his room.
 
“It'll be okay, Ryou,” Malik said, hoping to reassure the boy, “Sami will know how to fix whatever's happening to you. I don't know how, but she's pulled through for you before. I know I never say this, partly because I don't want to believe it, but in a lot of ways, I think it's good that we know her. Times like this, she's the only one who really knows what's happening, and that's good. Without her, I'm pretty sure we'd be screwed right now.” Ryou laughed, as did Yugi. He agreed with Malik, and every little twist and turn they faced beforehand proved that. As they reached the door and opened it, Ryou felt a little better about what had transpired. He walked in first.
 
“Sami? Are you in here?” he asked. He pushed open the door a little more, and to his relief, Sami was there. But, she no longer looked like the wrath of fury he'd seen beforehand. No, she was crying now, her hair in a tangled mess as she clutched her bandana. She looked up at him, and with one word, conveyed what she was actually feeling.
 
“Ryou…” He had sensed that feeling with her only word: Desperation.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
Well, after the fight with a creature from hell, Sami made a decision about Ryou that no one will break. But was it the right one, and does Ryou agree with it? Did what happened in the dining hall break Sami's willingness to let their adventure continue? Why is she crying after making such a silencing statement? And has Ryou truly changed, or is it temporary for his lack of shadow powers? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button.