Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Time Master! ❯ A quick perspective and a New Regroup ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Kazuki Takahashi does, and it's still the best anime I've ever watched.
 
Ryou stood in the dark, dim room, looking at the figure of none other than Sami as she sat on the bed. Her expression was one he had never become accustomed to seeing on her face: sadness. Sure, she had gotten sad before, but this was different. This was much different. Something in her had changed just as drastically as something in Ryou had changed, and as he sat down, he glanced at Katt, who had run in with her sister. Katt shook her head to indicate everything was quite wrong, and Ryou put a hand on Sami's to comfort her. But, she refused to look at him. She merely looked at the wall.
 
“Sami, what's wrong?” he asked gently, “What happened?” Sami looked down at the covers, but refused to answer. She seemed to be ignoring what Ryou said, and only became more distant when Malik asked her next. Ryou's eyes watered slightly at the cold silence, but he had to get to the bottom of this. He let the silence continue as Malik looked over at Katt curiously.
 
“What's wrong with her, Katt?” he asked, crossing his arms as the red-haired woman bit her lip hesitantly. Katt sighed, pushing her red bangs out of her face, and sat cross-legged in the chair, her boots scraping the side of the seat. She glanced worriedly at her sister, but Sami said nothing. She took that at least as consent to continue. Or, at least, it wasn't a protest.
 
“I don't know. Probably what she said out in the dining hall,” she replied, looking over her sister with concern again. When Sami still remained silent, Katt added, “I followed her back here. She was really upset with everyone. She says they have no right to think of Ryou as… as…”
 
“As bantha fodder,” Sami finished bitterly, and everyone turned to her at her words, “As something to be sacrificed. As something no one cares about that can be thrown away or reused.” Ryou looked at her quietly. He understood what she was saying, but the bitterness she held was unusual, even for her. He gave her a pat on the hand when she said, “This was to be just for Ryou and myself. How… did it spin so vividly out of my hands!?” Malik and Yugi looked away in guilt; they technically were the ones who opened the door. But, Katt wasn't nearly as swayed, and told a truth that shot into Sami like a lead ball.
 
“Actually, sis, you told Yugi and Anzu to call everyone,” Katt replied seriously, “I was surprised, too. Normally, you don't want anyone involved in your affairs.” Sami's eyes watered again, and she sighed. That was all too true, and a constant issue she and Ryou had argued about since their first meeting.
 
“I just wanted Kaiba to come and fix the machine. Ryuuzaki was supposed to just deliver parts, but I certainly didn't want Jou and Honda coming,” Sami said quietly, “I'm not sure how to feel. This is my fault, but… they still have no right thinking they can throw you out, Ryou.” Ryou smiled weakly and patted her arm. She looked up at him, wiping away the tears that had formed in her eyes.
 
“I don't think they have that right either,” he said gently, “But what can we do? They don't understand what's happening. Not like you do, and not like I do, either.” Sami looked at him critically, as though such a thing should never excuse their behavior, and she made that clear in her next statement.
 
“Do not dare to use that excuse, Ryou,” she warned in a low growl, “It will never convince me. They have no right to make the decision of if you live or die. In fact, I have half a mind to send us all home right now.” Ryou's eyes widened, definitely not expecting that sort of response from her. Quickly, he tried to change the subject.
 
“But what about your past or…”
 
“Leave it to the abyss where it belongs,” Sami finally stated bitterly, releasing the covers, “I want no part of it any longer.” Ryou looked away, and Malik's eyes nearly popped out of his head in disbelief. After all of that, Sami was truly willing to risk throwing what they learned away, and he couldn't let that happen.
 
“…WHAT!? Are you serious!?” he screamed, and Yugi had to back away from such an outburst, “Leave it all… are you INSANE!? We came this damn far to find out who the hell you are and you're going to tell us to leave it alone for what insane reason!? What the hell is going through your Ra-damned head!?”
 
“My Ra-damned head!? You really want to know why I've decided this!?” Sami retorted just as loudly, and Ryou was sure everyone in the dining hall could hear them, “Fine, I'll tell you just what's going through my Ra-damned head, you ignorant brat. Ryou will die if he uses his magic too much, and not one of you foolish children even seem to comprehend that! You don't even appear to care, and after three years of such bullshit, I'm finally sick of it. This is not a game. This is real, and this can happen, and if you all are so… so stupid as to even suggest to me that we risk my husband's health for one pitiful shot at stopping what might be inevitable, well, then I say to hell with all of you!” That caused another bout of cold silence in the room, but Ryou could tell Malik was seething, and when he spoke, it was directly entirely at Sami.
 
“You're the most cold-hearted bitch I've ever met,” Malik stated angrily, and Katt gasped in complete disbelief at that, “If you've had such a problem with us, why are you even here? No one is forcing you to live with us, and if you're going to start giving us this, we don't want you here, either. Why don't you just go back to Nesce and live in your little magical li…?” Malik fell silent when Ryou grabbed his wrists with such force that he could've broken them. His expression was fury, his eyes narrowed and his brows set in place. For a moment, he no longer looked like Ryou Bakura.
 
“How dare you,” he said firmly, “How dare you tell her to leave us when she's done nothing but protect us from something we can't protect ourselves against! How dare you even begin to think that such a suggestion is even acceptable! Sami was right; not one of you even have any idea about what's going on. Maybe that's because you don't know what it's like to nearly die, but both of us do, Malik. And neither of us want to experience it again. Do not ever suggest, in front of me, that Sami ever leave again or you will find I won't be in your company.”
 
“But… but everyone's in silence out there…” Malik whispered, “No one wants to say anything.”
 
“And that's not Sami's fault!” Ryou exclaimed, the same fury in his tone, “All she said was that I'm not to use my powers until we know what they can do. She never stopped you all from anything else, so leave her alone or you'll deal with me. And I am not so nice right now, am I?” Malik looked down in shame, knowing that he had angered Ryou to an extreme that the young man had never gone into. He looked to Sami, but she seemed to agree with Ryou as well. But, when she spoke, she no longer possessed the outrage she had just moments before.
 
“Malik, let me ask you something,” Sami said gently, which surprised him, “Let us assume you and Katt are going to face another creature similar to what I killed. Katt can kill it, but the risk would be her health. Could you risk it? Would you?” Malik blinked, wondering just why Sami would ask that to him. The answer was instant, and immediate.
 
“Of course not,” he said quickly, “I'd rather die myself than put her in danger.” Sami nodded, and looked away, and it was only then that Malik understood her point. That was the scenario she faced now with Ryou.
 
“Then do you understand why I won't let Ryou do this?” she asked, just as gently as before, “I'm not being a bitch. I don't want him dead, and no matter how much I stress that he could very well die, no one seems to care. That's why I told them only my decision counts now, because only I seem to understand all of this. Unless they can see it, too, I don't want them deciding anything. Ignorance is more dangerous than control.” Malik nodded, finally understanding why she said what she did. Like Ryou, he agreed, as did Yugi.
 
“I don't want him dead, either,” Yugi chimed in, “But what do we do?”
 
“Heading to Nesce is a good start,” Sami replied calmly, looking out the window, “I'm not sure what we might find… but I can remember just bits of it. That's a kingdom of the Espers, so there must be someone who would help us with both of our problems.” Ryou nodded, but said nothing to her. Something about heading to what used to be her homeland made him feel very uneasy. He watched as Malik asked her some more questions, which she answered honestly, if not a little tensely, too.
 
“What do you remember about it?” he asked her, “We all know you're no human, so what was it like in Nesce?” Sami hummed, trying to remember what she could to form an answer for him.
 
“I remember bits and pieces, but nothing big,” she explained carefully, “I remember having an uncle named Cyd. He's the one who took care of Katt and I when we were little, before we were separated for adoption. I vaguely remember a brother… and sometimes, I hear a man telling me everything will be fine. I recognize the voice… but I can't place it. Katt?” Malik turned to Katt, who seemed just as thoughtful as her sister. She nodded as well, and smiled slightly.
 
“I remember uncle Cyd,” she said, “Not much, either, but I remember him. And I think I remember a war. Something about a comet. I remember a big castle, but that's it.” Sami shook her head. Those memories were a start, but it didn't tell her much of anything, or at least anything remotely useful. Ryou gave her hand another pat, and Yugi smiled at the thoughts Katt's memories put in his head.
 
“Nesce sounds awesome!” he exclaimed, and Sami snapped toward him quickly, “I mean, from what you and Katt said. A castle! I mean, does that mean you both lived there? Does that mean you're royalty?”
 
“Does that mean you're rich!?” Malik asked, grinning. Katt glared at him, and in her usual manner, Sami slapped him across the face for such a rude question. He fell over, yelping in shock, but both Espers promptly ignored him in favor of answering the others.
 
“We don't know what it means,” Sami said sternly, wanting to nip what Malik started in the bud, “They're fragments of memories. But that doesn't mean we lived there. Maybe we've seen a castle.” Ryou let out a deep breath. None of that would help Sami to remember a thing, and he decided on one thing that he knew would help them.
 
“I think… we should ask Sith,” Ryou said quietly, and soon all eyes were on him, “She might be able to help if you tell her what you can recall.” Sami and Katt looked at each other. That was a possible idea, but could Sith actually figure out their fragmented memories? Sami didn't seem keen with the idea, but Katt approved.
 
“What could it hurt?” she asked, shrugging. Sami gave her a very stern warning glance, but eventually, even she had to admit there was no true harm. They both looked identical; everyone was absolutely sure she was Knight Sith. Talking wouldn't hurt their chances at all.
 
“We should give it a shot,” she agreed, as Ryou stood up as well, “I'm… nervous, though. If Sith and I are one in the same, shouldn't meeting her have done something?” Ryou blinked. He didn't know if it should have. Luckily, Bakura did, something that relieved Ryou as the old thief told him he could finally speak to Sami. He nodded grimly as he finally appeared in the room, and Sami smiled, knowing that meant her power was coming back.
 
“It should have,” he answered darkly, crossing his arms as he leaned against the doorway, “You must still be blocked somehow. But it's nothing to worry yourself over. I'm sure once we find some more about you, you'll begin to awaken your memories.” Sami nodded, and Bakura stepped aside to let her out of the room as she finally passed. Ryou and Katt followed, as Yugi and Malik looked around the room just once more before leaving. If what Sami said about Nesce was true, they wouldn't be coming back here for a while, if at all.
 
“Does this mean we're going with them?” Yugi asked, looking at Malik quizzically. Malik nodded, an odd look on his face as he thought on that. They'd gone with Ryou on all of his adventures into the world of magic; this would be no different in his mind.
 
“It wouldn't surprise me. At the very least, Katt probably wants me to go,” Malik replied, “Let's go, though. Sami's not one to wait up with something like this, and we might as well learn a thing or two about Espers, especially if we live with a few of them.” Yugi agreed, and the two ran out after their friends. Bakura hesitated, and then vanished back into the ring. They met up with Sith just as she was coming out of the dining hall a few moments later. She didn't smile as she saw them, though she wasn't exactly upset, either. She looked at Sami with the same expression she had when Sami had left the room in her shocking, silencing wake.
 
“I'm mildly surprised to see you here,” she said, almost amused, “I didn't think you'd be coming back. You left quite a scene in your wake.” Sami's eyes narrowed, and she nodded shortly, but otherwise displayed no pride or remorse for what she had done. Ryou knew she had no intention of taking it back.
 
“I meant all that I said,” Sami replied firmly, “I'm not sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings out there.” Sith's frown turned into a smirk upon hearing this, and Ryou knew it was a reaction she was used to; if anything, she probably caused a similar thing before.
 
“I had that feeling. I'd feel the same way,” she stated, “Though I've never been able to leave an entire room of priests, guards, and friends in complete and utter shock. That was impressive. I'm almost… jealous.” Though she meant it to be a compliment, Sami didn't smile or show any point of being even the least bit comforted by the knight's implication towards her. She wasn't proud that she left the way she did, but she didn't regret it. She simply looked at the knight seriously.
 
“I'm nothing to be jealous of. If I was, I might be a little happier than I am,” Sami said grimly, her frown unmoving, “But right to the point, Katt and I need your help.” Sith's eyebrow arched with interest. Of everything she expected of herself, asking for help wasn't one of them.
 
“With what?” she asked politely, as Ryou stood behind to watch what unfolded between what he was now sure was two of the same person.
 
“Our memories. They're fragmented,” Sami stated simply, “We can remember bits and pieces of the family and where we might've lived, but we need you to fill in the blanks. Or at least help us get started. Would you be willing?” Sith smiled gently, tilting her head. She'd never been asked to relay her memories before, though Atemu had once asked where she lived, a very long time ago at this point. She nodded.
 
“I would not refuse,” she answered, “What is it you need of me?”
 
“Do we have an uncle named Cyd?” Sami asked, “And a brother?” Sith nodded, smiling as she relayed her own memory. She was obviously very fond of her family.
 
“Yes. We have a brother named Sceppiro,” Sith said, nodding all the while, “No sister, but a brother. As for my uncle… yes, his nickname is Cyd. His actual name is Cydandilus Skylark. I'm surprised, but not unhappy, that you could remember that.” Sami smiled weakly, as Katt jumped in next.
 
“Did we live in a castle?” she asked bluntly. Sith actually laughed, and nodded again.
 
“Yes. I did, around seven years ago,” Sith explained, “I went back recently, actually. It hasn't changed much. It's made of crystal. Not ice, as you'd expect if you saw Mt. Sabil, but refined adamantium crystals and amethyst ore. Its magical properties are amazing.” Sami's frown returned. Her next question was one she didn't actually want to know, but it formed ever since Malik asked if she was royal. She glanced at Ryou, but his face was expressionless. He just wanted her to ask, if only to confirm his own suspicions.
 
“What am I?” she asked stiffly, shivering. Sith sighed.
 
“I… possibly, we, are the princess of Nesce, origin of the Espers,” Sith stated, and Malik grinned, “As well as Knight of the Pharaoh of Egypt and Master-at-Arms of this palace.” Sami looked down and said nothing more, trying to take in what the response was. Malik, however, poked Ryou, grinning all the while.
 
“I knew it! I knew she was royal! Well, a royal pain, but I knew it!” he exclaimed, “Dude, this means you might be a prince! Your lives are pretty much set now!” Sith glanced at Sami very carefully. She was shaking, her fists clenching more as Malik continued to exclaim ridiculous things relating to her now-slowly-confirmed past. Finally, she turned around sharply, narrowly missing slugging his head with her fist.
 
“Shut up,” she said angrily, “I'm not a princess now.” Malik stopped and looked at her, confused by what she meant. He also wasn't too happy that she nearly took his head off as he rubbed his neck.
 
“What do you mean? You practically own Nesce, don't you?” he asked. Sami's expression became worse and she shook her head. It was clear this was one discussion she wanted to avoid.
 
“Nesce is nothing but a pile of ruins in our time, Malik,” Sami said sternly, “What's there to rule over?” Sith's expression softened at hearing the sadness in Sami's voice. Ryou patted her shoulder comfortingly, but Malik seemed to only be focused on one thing: That she was a queen.
 
“So, then let's fix it in a future time before our own era,” Malik said, and realized that was a mistake. Sami glared angrily at him, and Sith frowned disapprovingly. Even Katt looked at him in disbelief, and it was her that made him quickly change his mind.
 
“Are you crazy?” Katt asked, “Do you have any idea how many different things could've caused the collapse of our kingdom? How many wars we could've had since this time? We'd be bouncing all over the time-space continuum.” Sith nodded, crossing her arms.
 
“The only way to revive the kingdom is to first start with an heir,” Sith said absently, “I don't know who in our family lives in your time, but if that's what you want…”
 
“I just want to know what I am and who I was,” Sami interrupted, looking away, “And I now know. But now we need to get into Nesce. Before you just tell me how to restore it, assuming I am you, can you tell me if we can even get into the kingdom? If, and that's a big if, I decide it's best to go to Nesce in my time, then I'll ask you about it later, but for now, one objective at a time.” Sith smiled and nodded, as Ryou looked at Sami. Nothing should've made her happier, but going to Nesce seemed to make her even more upset. She relaxed a little, but not much as he hugged her.
 
“You can,” Sith said calmly, “The Lion's Gate is opened, so passage is easy. It's in the Northern expanse of the desert, so I'll get a squadron of guards to escort you. It should be no more than a day on horseback.” Yugi raised a worried eyebrow as Sith went to leave, and tugged on her glove.
 
“You're not coming with us?” he asked. Sith chuckled and shook her head.
 
“I cannot. The pharaoh requires me here,” Sith replied firmly, “I will send a message to my brother to expect you.” She left this time, heading up the staircase and into the library. The five simply looked at each other, wondering what they should do now.
 
“I guess we should let everyone know we're leaving,” Sami said quietly, “Though I really have no reason to talk to any of them right now. Would one of you do so?” Ryou nodded as they went to walk toward the dining area.
 
“I'll tell them. You should probably just sit and let your magic come back,” Ryou stated, as he opened the large doors, “The more power you have, the better you'll feel.” Sami nodded, smirking, as they walked in only to find the place completely empty. Well, not completely empty. Only a few servants remained in the dining area, sweeping or cleaning the tables, and Atemu was talking to what appeared to be Yami, which relieved everyone. Sami's power was coming back. As they walked up toward the two, Atemu smiled at them.
 
“Ah, I was expecting to see you, Sith,” he directed toward Sami, who frowned, “I believe you are her, so isn't it fitting to call you by your true name?”
 
“…” Sami seemed rather speechless by that, and Ryou knew this would weigh on her again, “…no. Not until I know who I really am.” Atemu nodded with understanding as Yami gave her a worried glance.
 
“Very well,” Atemu replied, “I'm going to assume you spoke to my knight?” Sami nodded, glancing at one of the pillars. She was sure he actually expected her to speak with him, and decided he should know what they had decided, even if he wasn't going to come with them.
 
“Yes. We're heading to Nesce,” she said seriously, “We'd like to know where our friends are.” Atemu looked at Yami, who looked surprised that he'd be the one answering. Yugi snickered; It was always fun to see how Yami would react to being put on the spot. He swallowed hard, and Ryou knew he definitely didn't want to be the center of attention.
 
“I believe they're in the common room downstairs,” Yami said, glancing back at Atemu, who nodded, “I'll take you there.” Atemu simply kept smiling as they walked out, and Yugi knew he was trying not to laugh at how stiff and nervous Yami had become. They left silently, walking down the hallway toward a staircase leading downstairs, where they had their rooms. Yami led them past the hallway with the bedrooms and continued on.
 
“So, you're truly going to Nesce?” he asked Sami, as they turned a corner into a colder corridor. When Sami nodded, he asked, “Are you up to it?” Sami simply laughed; if anyone understood anything about this trip, it was that she wasn't up to it period.
 
“No, but what choice do I really have?” she asked, though not angrily, “I need to make sure Ryou will be all right, and if speaking to the Espers is how I can, then it's what I'm doing. I'm not going to make Ryou live, terrified of what his powers could do.” Yami nodded. That was a good idea. Ryou smiled, and as Yami opened the door into the common room, a burst of warmth blew at them. It was coming from a fireplace. Everyone looked at the doorway.
 
“Hello everyone,” Ryou said, as they all walked in. He sat with Sami, who stalked silently to an empty couch. Yugi and Yami sat with Jou, and Katt sat with Miho and Anzu. Malik simply stood, and for a few moments, silence floated around the room uncomfortably. Either purposely done or simply unable to form words, Ryou didn't know, but the tension was palpable to him.
 
“Are you feeling any better?” Honda finally asked. He looked at Sami, and though she really would've rather not answered, she nodded anyway.
 
“Enough to sit in here,” she replied, “Don't think I'm going to apologize to any of you for earlier. I meant every word I said.” Honda looked down in shame, and Jou finally spoke up next, though his apology got as much of a response as Honda's did.
 
“We're sorry,” Jou said, “We didn't think…”
 
“You're damn right, you didn't think,” Sami said, though not as furiously as they all expected, “That's why I said I'm making the decisions from now on. We're in serious trouble, whether we see it or not, and I can't have you all running around thinking you can do things you just can't. And to tell me we can just use Ryou, when you all damn well know we just can't, just proves my point a little farther.” Jou looked down. Ryuuzaki, who was standing near the mantle, crossed his arms.
 
“Then what do we do?” he asked, “If we can't use Ryou, and you're magic's being discharged, what do we do to get ourselves out?” Sami looked at him, sighing heavily. She rested her chin on her hands, which were folded on the table.
 
“That's what I'm here to talk to you all about,” she said grimly, “We're, that is, Ryou, Katt, Malik, Yugi, and myself, are heading to Nesce. That's where I come from, and it's where Espers live. I believe that they can help us with Ryou, and that I will learn who I was as well.” She looked at everyone to see their reactions, and wasn't the least surprised when Miho asked her next question.
 
“Can we come?” she asked, “I want to see some magic!” Sami looked at her and shook her head.
 
“No. Only the ones I mentioned earlier are going. No one else,” she said, “Except for Yami and Bakura, that is. But like I said, I can't have you all running around when the time-space continuum is being screwed up.” Ryuuzaki's eyes widened as he looked at Sami. She was serious, but that left them all in the palace, something he definitely didn't like. He hated to have his time wasted.
 
“So then what do we do?” he asked, tilting his head. Luckily, Sami did have plans for all of them, something that he actually was delighted in hearing.
 
“I'm leaving you all in charge of finding the machine and fixing it up,” Sami replied seriously, “At the very least, you can do that. Use Forte if you have to, but I want it fixed so we can get home once we get back.” Ryuuzaki nodded. That was much more important than he expected, and it would give him something to do.
 
“We'll do our best,” he said, “But what's in Nesce? And why haven't you mentioned it before?” Sami bit her lip and glanced at Ryou, who nodded to show her to continue.
 
“There are Espers in Nesce who might know what's happening to Ryou. Normally, a human exposed to Esper energy waves either gets sick or rejects their magic completely, but Ryou's absorbing them into his body and using them, which is dangerous. I need to know why his body is doing that,” she replied, “The fact that he's already taken down four to five Mystics without burning himself out is really amazing.” Ryou blushed as Sami said that. She smiled, but it was weak. Kaiba snorted, and Sami's gaze turned to him.
 
“Not that I believe an ounce of this crap, but why has it taken you this long to understand this?” he asked, “And who are these `Mystics' you're whispering about?” Sami blinked, thinking of how to explain. She's explained it briefly before, but only in bits and pieces. Nothing anyone would've remembered well.
 
“Because I didn't realize a pattern developing until this summer, when I looked into the files that Ryuuzaki sent to me pointing to another woman with the name Winchester,” Sami replied sternly, “…as to the Mystics… they are a race of dark Espers looking to make a strike on this world for something that happened so long ago, no records were properly kept explaining it. The Mystics in question are… were… Katsaiga, Amber, and Falnika. Do you remember those names?” She looked at them all, and everyone nodded. It was hard to forget any of them, even though Amber and Katsaiga happened nearly three years ago. Sami continued.
 
“They are three of the top officials for the Mystics, which is why the damage they have done has been so catastrophic,” she explained, “That's also why they're going after us. They seem to believe that Ryou has more power in him than he should, to which I acidly agree with; he does. Normally, human DNA can't react to that of Espers or other non-human creatures, but Ryou's body is accepting them, even using them to power himself. Imagine the possibilities they would have if they caught him.” Though she spoke as simply as she could possibly put it, Sami knew that only a few of them actually understood. Miho and Anzu exchanged worried, though confused, glances, and Jou looked really worried about all that had been said. Kaiba was the one to speak, however, and his tone indicated that he was slowly beginning to see the danger.
 
“Are you telling us that they're going to extract Ryou's soul?” Kaiba asked, arching an exasperated eyebrow, “And does that mean he's nearly… unbeatable?” Sami narrowed her eyes suspiciously, and then shook her head. He had gotten the point to some extent, but she didn't want them thinking Ryou was invincible.
 
“Not his soul, but his power. They're similar, as his power is also tied to his life force like his soul, but different as well,” Sami replied calmly, “And no, he's just as able to be killed as you are. What I mean is that, because of my heritage consisting of over 3000 years at least, his power is more potent. Which is why he can use magic when he shouldn't be able to, is my guess.” Kaiba nodded, and everyone else started to whisper among themselves. Sami watched them all carefully, noting that Yami and Bakura remained completely silent. They must've understood what she was trying to say. Jou spoke this time, and Sami looked him dead in the eye.
 
“So are you gonna go and stop these Mystics too?” he asked, “Or is that like sending a mouse to the trap?” Sami looked down, hesitant to answer. She didn't know what she wanted to do with that information. She looked at Ryou.
 
“Though I'm hesitant to do so, that decision is up to Ryou,” Sami said sternly, “I only decided to come here for my own personal, as well as selfish, reasons. I won't drag you all into anything more unless you decide that's what you want. I've done that enough in our lives as it is.” The last part, she said with a tone of amusement, and everyone laughed. That part was very true, even though it was mostly out of necessity that she chose, not out of whim. Bakura looked over at Ryou, who knew that he wanted the boy to decide then and there. Ryou sighed, and all eyes were once again on him.
 
“My decision is that we… that is, Sami and I, take them on,” Ryou said, as Sami watched him carefully, “At the very least, I want them gone. And… I can't let them refocus on another… human like me, that has Esper power. It's not right. So, I'm going to stop them. If you all want to help, I won't stop you.” Sami smiled, and everyone seemed to be saying something. Ryou looked at Sami, wondering if he decided the right thing, but she remained only proud, so he figured he had. Finally, though, after minutes of everyone trying to talk at once, Sami had to put it to a stop. She stood up.
 
“Silence!” she said firmly, though not angrily, “I know you're all excited, but we still have Nesce to get through, and I hate to say it, but none of you are battle worthy anyway. Like I said before, one objective at a time. You all focus on how you plan to get Malik's death-trap of a machine working for right now, all right?” Malik frowned, wanting to protest, but he didn't. Sami might've become calmer, realizing that she'd have to explain everything, but he knew better than to test how calm she actually was. Ryuuzaki nodded.
 
“All right. Kaiba and I can probably repair most of the parts with the kit I stowed in the compartment,” Ryuuzaki replied, arms still crossed, “While we're doing that, everyone else can look for improvisions to use as anything that can't be repaired.” Sami smiled. Maybe Ryou's friends weren't as useless as she always assumed.
 
“Good idea,” she commented, and then grabbed Ryou's arm, “We'll prepare for our trip, and you prepare for yours. Bring Forte, because if none of you remember where we landed, only he can find that pile of trash.” Ryuuzaki snickered, and as Ryou and Sami walked out, cheers erupted from behind them, though that was mostly due to Jou screaming random bouts of encouragement as Kaiba and Ryuuzaki went to look for Forte.
 
A few hours later, Ryou was at the gates, on a large, stable horse, and joined by Sami, Malik, Katt, Yugi, and for reasons known only to Sami, Anzu and Miho were coming as well. All of them were also seated on horses, and each horse had a bag strapped with supplies for them all. Sami was speaking with Sith about something, which Ryou guessed was concerning the desert. She seemed upset, and a minute later, he found out why as Sith left and she trotted over to him.
 
“The guards aren't coming,” she said grimly, “The pharaoh can't send them out, not with the portal to hell acting as it is.” Yugi looked concerned with such grim news, and Malik's eyes nearly bugged out of his head, the thought of going out into the wasteland alone completely unappealing to him.
 
“What!? Does this mean we're going out into certain death alone!?” he asked, “Where we could die!?” Sami looked at him critically, and Ryou half expected her to yell, but she didn't.
 
“You have me, and my power is nearly full,” Sami assured, “And there's nothing in that desert that we can't handle. Ryou, is Bakura feeling all right?” Ryou blinked, surprised that Sami would ask. He closed his eyes, asking the quick question, and then opened them, nodding.
 
“He's fine. He says his form's back, but he's going to stay in the Ring. He's not walking,” Ryou replied. Sami looked almost amused, and she nodded at Yugi, assuming Yami was the same way. Which he was, to Yugi's dismay. But when Sami explained to Yugi why Yami chose what he did, it didn't bug the boy as much. Finally, though, Sami urged her horse to walk ahead, out of the palace gates and into the town, the rest following abruptly when they saw her move. The town was eerily quiet, despite it still being daytime. That was fine with Sami, as nothing would be stopping them. Atemu had ordered the gates to the Northern expanse to be opened, and when the group arrived, it was left open for them. Malik grinned.
 
“No guards, no priests, no one to stop us,” he stated, as they walked through, “This'll be a snap!” Sami chuckled as she listened, and rolled her eyes. She didn't forget that he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown just moments before.
 
“I wouldn't count on that,” she reminded him, “The portal is open, so anything could pop out of it and attack us.” Miho stared at Sami, wide-eyed.
 
“So you mean there are real monsters out here!?” she asked, terrified. Sami nodded and looked back at her.
 
“Unfortunately for us, yes,” Sami replied calmly, as to not scare Miho any more than she was, “I doubt they'll be strong, though. The portal hasn't been opened long enough for things like behemoths or garudas to spawn out of them. We'll probably be facing the weakest ranks of hell, though depending on how you all handle yourselves, that might not be saying much.” Neither Miho nor Anzu knew what behemoths or garudas were, but they sounded scary enough. Ryou remembered them from their variation in video games, and Malik recalled with horror about their fights with both creatures. Yugi swallowed hard, and Anzu asked the next question.
 
“So what will we be facing?” she asked, “Just as a heads up, what should we expect?” Sami thought carefully as the horses galloped through the sand, toward their destination. In all truth, she didn't actually know, as she never looked into the creatures from hell during her studies, but she could probably take a guess.
 
“Well, there are a few creatures that could easily survive a desert,” she started, choosing her words carefully, “Nightshades are one of them. They're definitely not a problem, and neither are their cousins, Rabbats. Those are a rabbit/bat hybrid, and even slower than the Nightshades, which are pretty much the same thing, but Nightshades can use magic. Another creature we could find are called Bookas. And don't laugh, that's their name.” Ryou raised an eyebrow as Malik burst into hysterical laughter. Sami didn't smile, but she ignored Malik and kept her glance on Ryou.
 
“What are Bookas?” Ryou asked, trying to keep his voice above Malik's. Sami smiled lightly this time, glad that someone was trying to take her seriously.
 
“They're like small dinosaurs, but they're still much bigger than us,” Sami replied, as Ryou leaned closer to hear, “They're very fast, and they can get mean if you chase them too long. Generally, they aren't actually aggressive, but they're mischievous and have a habit of stealing from travelers walking down the Ratterlin pathway.”
 
“Ratterlin pathway?” Ryou asked, as Malik calmed down a little. Their horses slowed as they came to a small watering hole, and Sami nodded as her horse bent to drink. She nearly fell, not having paid attention, but she gripped the reigns and kept her balance.
 
“Ratterlin Trench is a large, deep river that goes from Lake Safernachi all the way to Auquias. It's in Nesce, but it pretty much cuts through the continent,” Sami said, “I hear it dumps somewhere into here, but I don't know where.” Anzu looked toward the north, seeing if she could spot the gate from where she was, but couldn't. She looked back at Sami.
 
“Are we going to have to cross the Ratterlin?” she asked, “It sounds like another adventure in and of itself.” Sami shook her head, which relieved everyone as her horse stopped drinking and shook its head briskly, splashing water around.
 
“No. The Ratterlin doesn't cut into the capital, according to Sith. Its pattern is very wavy, so unless we head through the Lightning Valley, which we won't be, we won't even see it,” Sami replied, “Anyway, it looks like our horses are done, so should we keep moving… or do you all want another lecture on Nesce's structure?” Ryou chuckled, and shook his head. It was a better idea to get a move on their journey. Besides, Sami could explain the rest of the continent while they rode or while they stopped to rest, if they decided to. So, with word from Ryou, the group ushered their horses away from the water and back on the trail. The wind picked up, a sign that they were probably halfway toward the gate. Sami urged her horse to go faster, and everyone else eventually picked up speed with theirs as well. Sami looked back at the group, having to raise her voice over the wind.
 
“Once we get to the Central Spire, we can rest. Try to keep up until then!”
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
And so, after regaining control over her flaring temper, Sami finally explains why she chose what she did and why she always does so. But does it actually sit well with everyone? And can Forte help Kaiba and his group with fixing the time machine? Will Ryou and his team reach the Lion's Gate safely? Or will the ranks of hell ambush them? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!