Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Sap ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter Two
 
This is really just for the hell of it. Originally, I intended this to be a one-shot to make me feel better over something... but... this popped into my head.
 
By Sapadu
 
Mai sorted her cards rather idlely- she had nothing to do, so she just did it. She'd plugged her headphones into her CD player to drown out the noise of Joey snoring on her couch.
 
He was a dope. That's all there was to it. And Mai still didn't get how she could fall for a moron like him. Mai Valentine was proud, if nothing else. More proud of never being wrong than other things.
 
And she had been wrong about Joey- he was a dope, sure, but he had his own smarts, too. He was clever, could think on his feet, knew just what to say to pick someone up... if he'd only keep his mouth shut AFTERWARDS, he could be considered intelligent.
 
And Mai had always thought dueling was everything. Joey proved her wrong about that, too.
 
Sometimes I'm right...
Sometimes I'm wrong...
But he doesn't care...
He'll string along...
 
Oh well- at least Joey wasn't enough of a jerk to rub her nose in it.
 
Why not, anyway?
 
He loves me so...
That funny honey of mine...
 
And what Valon had told her about Joey before he disappeared- he was right. Joey had a heart. She was lucky to have a guy like that- most of the sensitive guys turned jaded after one bad experience, and then things got ugly.
 
She'd insulted him, put him down, and done everything trying to degrade Joey's self-esteem when they first met, and the way he always came back for more, claiming that he was going to prove to her about 'the power of friendship' or whatever, had almost made Mai think he was nuts, or at least masochist.
 
Hell, he'd even picked her up and made her feel better after her duel with Panik. She at least felt she'd returned the favor in Pegasus's castle.
 
Sometimes I'm down...
Sometimes I'm up...
But he follows round...
Like some droopy-eyed pup...
 
And she was truly touched by the display Joey was willing to put on to try and protect her against Marik. Even if he knew it was a crazy, stupid thing to do, and he didn't stand a chance- it was the thought that counted, after all. And, if Serenity had told her correctly, Joey had gotten himself stuck in the Shadow Realm trying to defeat Marik to get her back.
 
And it had been quite a laugh to see the look on his face when she really did wake up.
 
He loves me so...
That funny honey of mine...
 
Why she FELL for him, though... She didn't get it. Joey was a stringy, gangly, teenager- younger than she was by almost 9 years- his hair was always an unsightly mess, and his wardrobe needed serious help. It certainly wasn't for his looks. And Mai had already made up her mind that he was a dope.
 
Okay, Joey's big brown eyes were sorta nice. And his faces were priceless, she'd give him that. And Joey did have that funny Brooklyn accent that was kinda cute.
 
He ain't no sheik...
That's no great physique...
And Lord knows he ain't got the smarts...
 
This was stupid- she didn't DO the whole lovesick teenager moping over her boyfriend act. Mai Valentine didn't do that. The whole pride issue coming back into play. Really, would JOEY think about her like this while watching HER sleep?
 
"Mai-i-i..." Joey mumbled in his sleep, snuggling his pillow with a smile.
 
Yes. He WOULD, wouldn't he?
 
But look at that soul...
I tell ya that whole
Is a whole lot greater than the sum of it's parts...
 
Mai sighed. Kaiba was right- he was a mutt. But what was wrong with that? Mai liked puppies... they were cute, right? And so lovable, and as much as they depended on people to take care of them, they also helped the people they lived and loved.
 
Joey had those same big eyes that begged for someone to take him home and love him (and, hopefully, feed him, too) and in return, he'd always follow after them, and while simultaneously begging for scraps, he bit anyone who looked cross-eyed at them and love them no matter what kind of person they were.
 
And if you knew him like me...
I know you'd agree...
 
Now that Mai thought about it, it was really kind of flattering the way Joey treated her likes she was a queen. That's what she'd always wanted, but it was the thought that counted instead of just the treatment. Oh, she LOVED how much she'd changed- she hadn't felt this... wholesome, in years.
 
What if the world
Slandered my name?
Why he'd be right there...
Taking the blame...
 
"Seriously, Joey, you could offer me an onion ring if that was all you could afford and I'd WILLINGLY say 'I do' at the altar." Mai muttered to the blond who was starting to drool on the pillow he was snuggling.
 
"You dope."
 
He loves me so...
And it all suits me fine...
 
That sunny,
Funny,
Honey,
Hubby of mine...
 
A/N: The song is 'Funny Honey' from the Chicago soundtrack. It seemed to suit Joey.