Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Seeing Isn't Always Believing ❯ A Foe's Return ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Recap: The town of Littleville is a very unfortunate one. Unfortunate because most of the citizens didn't believe in fairies. It seemed like the only ones to believe in fairies where the ones that were rescued by them. But the ones who told amazing stories of their rescues by fairies finally got through to two teenagers, Yugi and Ryou. While Yugi and Ryou were playing in the forest, a flock of falcons attacked and flew off with Yugi. Yugi and Ryou's hope of meeting fairies became a reality when two fairies from the Fairy Kingdom helped rescue Yugi.
/ is Bakura mental talk
// is Yami mental talk
' is thoughts






Chapter 2: A Foe's Return

Yugi and Ryou had returned to their homes. One part of their wish came true. They finally met fairies in person, and really nice ones at that. They couldn't wait to see Yami and Bakura again. Ryou and Yugi wanted to see what other things Yami and Bakura could do.
'I can't wait to see Yami and Bakura again,' Yugi thought.
His parents saw how happy Yugi was and wondered why he was so happy. They've never seen him that happy before.
"Why are you so happy son?" Mr. Lily asked.
"Oh, I met some special friends," Yugi responded.
His parents left it at that. Yugi was glad that they didn't ask anything else because they wouldn't believe him if he said that his special friends were fairies. That night, Yugi slept peacefully. All his dreams dealt with fairies. You can say that he went to his own little world when he slept. Ryou was no different in this scenario. His dreams were only about fairies as well. The difference is that he dreamed that he imagined himself as a fairy as well. He wanted to soar through the skies free as a butterfly. Of all the animals, butterflies were the only friendly ones to Littleville. He and Yugi had even gone riding on some.
After breakfast the next morning, Yugi and Ryou met up and prepared to go for a walk. To their surprise, a large blue and green butterfly landed in front of them. It wiggled its antennae twice. The people of Littleville came to understand what a butterfly's gestures meant. This gesture meant hello.
"Hello to you too," Ryou said smiling.
The butterfly lowered itself to the ground. Yugi and Ryou climbed on, and the butterfly took off. The others in Littleville smiled as the butterfly got farther away. Out of all the butterflies, this one was Yugi and Ryou's best friend. Yugi, Ryou and the butterfly prepared for what looked to be another beautiful day. But the day would proved to be anything but calm for Littleville and the surrounding areas. A powerful windstorm that started off about 50 miles south of Littleville was rapidly heading north. The area the windstorm hit had clear skies, but the winds exceeded 120 miles per hour, causing major damage to the area. Yugi and Ryou were unaware how violent things would very soon become.
The butterfly had flown over a large lake when the windstorm hit at full force. Yugi and Ryou did their best to hang on for all they were worth. The butterfly tried its best to keep stable in the awesome wind, but the attempt proved to be very futile because the wind was more that too strong for it to handle. Meanwhile in the Fairy Kingdom, Yami had calmed the windstorm down to a gentle breeze.
"That was a close one," Seth said.
"Tell me about it," Bakura agreed. Then he gasped in horror.
Yami also gasped in horror. They knew that Yugi and Ryou were in serious trouble.
"What is it my liege?" Bakura's sister Maria asked.
"It's Yugi and Ryou! They're in critical danger! We must help them and fast!" Yami and Bakura responded. They had secretly created a link with Yugi and Ryou. That way, they would know whenever Yugi and Ryou were in danger.
"Go my lord. Maria and I will handle things until you and Bakura get back," Seth said.
"Thank you Seth," Yami said before he and Bakura flew off as fast as they could. "I only hope we're in time," he added.
"I do too. We only met them yesterday, but I feel the strong urge to protect them," Bakura said.
"I know my friend. I do too," Yami said.
Meanwhile, the butterfly Yugi and Ryou rode got weaker as it struggled against the fierce winds. It then got blown around violently by the wind. Just then, a huge burst of wind came right at Yugi and Ryou. They never felt anything like that before. They were blown off of the butterfly. The wind hit them with so much force, that they were also knocked unconscious.
Suddenly, the winds died down. Unfortunately, the wind is what kept Ryou and Yugi from falling. They fell right into the lake. The butterfly had stabilized itself and flew as fast as it could go. It frantically searched for Yugi and Ryou. Then it saw what at first looked like two more butterflies approaching. As the figures came closer, the butterfly could clearly see that they were fairies.
Yami had calmed the wind in hopes that Yugi and Ryou haven't been blown away yet. He and Bakura saw the butterfly heading towards them. Fairies and butterflies got along very well. This butterfly knew Yami and Bakura as much as it knew Yugi and Ryou.
"What is it Flutter?" Bakura asked.
Through its gestures, Flutter told them everything that happened.
"So you don't know where they are," Yami concluded.
Flutter nodded its head. Suddenly, Yami and Bakura felt two human presences in the lake. They knew immediately that it had to be Yugi and Ryou.
"They're in the lake," Bakura said.
"Flutter said that the wind knocked them unconscious. We better get them before they drown," Yami said. Then he dove into the lake.
Bakura did the same. The fairies of the Fairy Kingdom were different from other fairies. One way is that they never had to worry about their wings getting too wet. It could be raining like someone left a faucet on at full speed, but these fairies would be able to easily fly through it. Yami and Bakura swam down as fast as they could. They soon spotted Yugi and Ryou. Yami grabbed Yugi, and Bakura grabbed Ryou. They swam back to the shore. But their problem wasn't over yet. A frog saw them surface, thinking that they were snacks. It lashed out its long tongue and managed to pull Ryou from Bakura's arms. Then another frog surfaced and used its tongue to pull Yugi from Yami's arms.
"Oh no you don't!" Bakura shouted. He flew out of the water. Then he put his hand in the water. Blue energy began to flow from his hand and straight for the frogs.
The frogs wouldn't know what hit them until it was too late. That was precisely the case because the frogs couldn't move a square inch of their bodies. Even their tongues were frozen in place. Bakura paralyzed the frogs so they wouldn't eat Yugi and Ryou. That way, Yami easily took Yugi from out of one frog's tongue, and Bakura took Ryou from the other frog's tongue.
When Yami and Bakura were high enough, Bakura took his paralysis spell off the frogs. Yami and Bakura made sure they had a good grip on Yugi and Ryou. Then they spun themselves dry(A/N: I saw a fairy do this in the movie Ferngully: The Last Rainforest). It only took a few seconds, and they stopped spinning when they were completely dry. In the process, their spinning also cleaned the frog saliva off of Yugi and Ryou. Yugi and Ryou regained consciousness a few minutes later. They were surprised to see Yami and Bakura.
"Yugi, Ryou, are you all right?" Yami asked.
"We're all right, but what happened and how did you know that we were in trouble?" they responded.
"Before we returned to the Fairy Kingdom, Yami and I established a secret link with you two. Even though we just met you, we felt the need to protect you if you should get into danger. We were glad we did because we sensed that you two were caught in the windstorm.
As we got closer to where we sensed you were, Yami calmed the wind. But he didn't know that you had been blown off Flutter yet so you fell into the lake. Yami and I dove into the lake and got you, but then a couple of frogs wanted you for a snack. I paralyzed them though, and we got you to safety," Bakura responded.
"Who's Flutter?" Ryou asked.
"Flutter is the butterfly that you rode on. She is our best friend as well as yours," Bakura responded.
"You calmed the winds?" Yugi asked Yami.
"Yes Yugi. I am the strongest of the Fairy Kingdom. That allows me to have abilities that no other fairy there has. One of them is controlling the weather. Sometimes my mood affects the weather. It depends on how strong my mood is," Yami responed. "Would you like to continue your flight on Flutter or would you like me to carry you?" he added.
"Flutter deserves a break after having to go through those brutal winds," Yugi responded as Ryou nodded.
"Very well. Go and rest Flutter. Yami and I will take it from here," Bakura said.
Flutter nodded gratefully and flew down to rest. Yami and Bakura flew on. Deep in the forest, a sinister presence managed to withstand through the brutal winds. He knew that he would be able to deal with it better if he were still a fairy. He felt extreme hatred every time he saw a fairy fly overhead.
This ex-fairy's name was Samuel, Seth's virtual twin brother. He was a virtual twin because of two noticeable differences. One was that he had green eyes instead of blue eyes and that he was a blonde instead of a brunette. Other than that, they looked identical to each other.
'If Yami wasn't so strong, I could've been king of the Fairy Kingdom. Now I'm forced to live my life as a mortal. But he's unintentionally given me the opportunity I need for revenge. His new friends will be just what I need to get my revenge,' he thought.
Meanwhile, Yugi and Ryou continued to enjoy the flight as Yami and Bakura flew on. Then another fairy came towards them. It was Seth. Yami and Bakura could tell that he was pretty tired. They landed in a tree, and Yami and Bakura put Yugi and Ryou down. Yugi, Ryou and Seth introduced themselves to one another.
"What's wrong?" Bakura asked.
"Bad news I'm afraid. It seems as though my brother knows about your friendship to Yugi and Ryou," Seth responded.
Yami and Bakura looked at each other with a very worried expression on their faces. Then they looked at Yugi and Ryou with that same expression. Yugi and Ryou were confused.
"Who's your brother?" Yugi asked.
"His name is Samuel, and except for the fact that he is a green-eyed blonde, we look identical. He used to be a fairy like Yami, Bakura and me. But something happened one day that permanently changed his life for the worst," Seth responded.
"Can you tell us about it?" Ryou asked.
"Sure. You might want to sit down," Seth responded.
Yugi and Ryou sat down on the branch. Then Seth began to tell the story.

| Flashback to 1,500 years ago |

It was a rainy day in the Fairy Kingdom. Well, it was actually a sunny day, but Yami changed the weather because the kingdom had suffered a drought. He had hoped that he wouldn't have to control the weather, but the drought stayed strong for a month. But he made it rain for a month to make up for the drought. But it wasn't a month of continuous rain. He had it rain in segments to avoid a flood, which would've made things worse.
Meanwhile, Seth and his brother Samuel went out for a flight. They were peasants back then. But even in saying that, they were treated very well because social class was just about obsolete in the kingdom. They got along with the higher class people very well.
"What do you want to do today little brother?" Samuel asked. Even though he and Seth were virtual twins, he was three years older.
"I don't know. What do you want to do?" Seth responded.
"Let's have an adventure," Samuel said.
"What kind of adventure?" Seth asked.
"I've been curious about what the cave in the forest looks like," Samuel said.
"You mean the Moonlight Cave?" Seth asked.
"That's the one," Samuel responded.
"I don't know Samuel. King Yami forbade everyone to enter that cave. He wouldn't forbid something without a good reason," Seth said.
"But he never told anyone the reason," Samuel argued.
"I think that he actually went there. Whatever he found must have been really bad to forbid us from exploring the cave," Seth said.
"Aw come on Seth. Must you always spoil my fun? Let's just keep this a secret between us. No one will have to know," Samuel said.
"All right Samuel," I'll go with you," Seth said.
They flew east towards Moonlight Cave. Samuel didn't know that Moonlight Cave would change his life forever. They arrived there two hours later. Fortunately for both of them, Bakura was nearby and saw them enter the cave.
/My king, I'm afraid I have bad news/
//What is it Bakura?//
/I just saw two children enter the Moonlight Cave/
//They just put themselves in serious danger. I forbade entry because I didn't want anyone to experience what I did. Follow them Bakura. I'll be there as soon as I can//
Bakura went into the cave. He made sure that he stayed where he could see Seth and Samuel, but far enough to where they couldn't see him. Meanwhile at the Fairy Kingdom, Seth and Samuel's parents had come to the palace. Yami was just about to leave when they came up to him. He saw that they were really worried about something.
"What's the matter?" Yami asked.
"Our sons Seth and Samuel haven't returned from their flight yet. It has been hours, and we're very worried about them," the parents responded.
Yami had a sinking feeling that Seth and Samuel were the two that Bakura saw go into the cave. "We don't have much time. Bakura told me that he saw two children enter Moonlight Cave. I have a bad feeling that the two children are your sons," he said.
"We have to hurry then. Samuel is more of the adventure type and probably convinced Seth to go in the cave with him. Samuel doesn't understand that you have a reason behind your actions," the father said.
Yami flew off with Samuel and Seth's parents following close behind. In the cave, Seth and Samuel found out why Yami made the Moonlight Cave forbidden. A giant demon had captured them.
"So my little trespassers, what brings you here?" the demon asked.
"My brother talked me into coming in here," Seth responded.
"Your king managed to escape me. But you won't be doing the same," the demon said.
The demon didn't know that Bakura was there. He could only watch, hoping that the demon would make a mistake so he could help the boys.
/Yami, where are you?/
//I'm at the cave Bakura. How are Seth and Samuel?//
/Who?/
//Those are the names of the children. How are they?//
/In deep trouble I'm afraid. A demon has them/
//This is bad. The demon of the cave is the reason I forbade others from exploring. We have to act quickly if we're going to get the children out alive//
About ten minutes later, Yami and Seth and Samuel's parents had met up with Bakura. Unknown to everyone in the cave, the demon had something big and sinister on his sinister mind. He had always wondered whaty it was like to be a fairy. He had the ability to physically possess anything he wished to. When possessing something, he could completely eradicate the unsuspecting host's mind. That way, he would be in complete control of the host's body.
He possessed many things, but wanted to find something to be in control of permanently. If he wasn't satisfied with the body he possessed, then he left the body before killing it. He had found what he wanted to be in control of permanently when he encountered Yami. But the demon didn't count on Yami's great physical and magical strength. Yami overpowered the demon quite easily.
"There are two of you so I'll just have to choose which one of you I want to possess," the demon said.
"You will possess no one you monster!" a deep voice shouted.
The demon turned around to see Yami with three other fairies.
"Mom! Dad!" Seth and Samuel shouted.
"Get away from the demon. I'll distract him," Yami instructed. He then faced off with the demon.
Bakura went in to help Yami while Seth and Samuel flew towards their parents. But the demon wouldn't be denied his chance. He lashed out at Yami. Yami was caught off guard by that and was flung back. That gave the demon enough time to recite the spell. Samuel screamed in intense pain as he felt his mind being torn apart. He fell unconscious. The demon was nowhere in sight now.
"Let's get him back. We won't know what happened to him until he wakes up," Seth said.
The others agreed. They made it back to the kingdom in a few hours. Samuel awakened three days later. Seth could sense something terribly wrong. Samuel's once bright green eyes were now a very dark green. His butterfly wings had turned completely black. No one of the Fairy Kingdom had fully black wings.
"What's wrong Seth? Aren't you glad that I'm awake?" Samuel asked in a very malicious voice.
"You're not Samuel. You're that demon," Seth responded.
"You're wrong Seth. I still am Samuel, just not the Samuel you know. You see Seth; the demon was going to destroy my mind. But he found the darkness inside me that you never knew I had. I wasn't always as happy and adventure hungry. I was a troublemaker who enjoyed watching people suffer. Now I will get to enjoy watching people suffer again thanks to the demon fusing with me, starting with you," Samuel said.
Just then, their parents walked in. Samuel lunged at them. Creating a very sharp dagger, he killed them in front of Seth's eyes. Then Samuel fled to start a reign of terror. Then he would destroy Yami and claim the throne. The next year was torture for the Fairy Kingdom. Samuel destroyed much of the kingdom and killed quite a few of the fairies.
Samuel confronted Yami for the throne afterwards. "You will die before this day is over," he said.
"You will never claim the throne. I refuse to let someone as dark and corrupt as you take it from me," Yami said. "You have committed a great treason in the land, and I will not allow you to claim another life. From here on forth, you are banished from this place and will spend the rest of your life as an ordinary mortal."
Samuel felt his powers being stripped from him. He glared angrily at Yami. "Mark my words Yami. I will be back to claim the throne," he said before he left the Fairy Kingdom.
After Samuel's banishment, it took a while for the fairies to get over what happened. But they eventually did, and rebuilt their lives. This incident would forever be engraved in everyone's memory.

| End Flashback |

Ryou was speechless after the story.
"You must be very careful now. Samuel will do anything now that the demon of Moonlight Cave merged with him. Even though he is mortal just like you now, he is still a huge threat to everyone," Bakura said.
Everyone was so caught up in the story that they failed to see that Yugi was hanging on for his life. Yugi had unintentionally leaned back too far on the branch and would've fallen if he hadn't grabbed hold of a skinny limb sticking out of the branch. It was a weak limb unfortunately, so he couldn't move or talk because any sudden movement would send him plunging to his death.
Yami looked on the branch and saw that Yugi wasn't on it. He immediately panicked and looked around frantically. "Where's Yugi?" he asked panic struck.
It was then that the limb broke. Everyone heard the break as well as Yugi screaming.
"Yugi!" Yami, Seth, Bakura and Ryou cried before Yami dove after Yugi.
Ryou leaned too far forward and also fell out of the tree. Bakura dove after Ryou. He soon caught Ryou, flew back up and landed on the branch.
"Are you all right?" Bakura asked before setting Ryou down.
"Yes I am. Thank you," Ryou responded, still breathing hard.
Meanwhile, Yami had caught Yugi and flew back up to the strong branch. He landed, but Yugi still held onto him. Yugi was still very scared even though Yami saved him. Yami just continued to hold Yugi. He held Yugi close to him.
"It's all right Yugi. You're safe now," Yami said. "You're okay. Calm down Yugi," he added, continuing to comfort Yugi.
Yugi eventually did calm down.
"Thank you Yami," Yugi said.
"No problem little one," Yami said.
"I want to go back home now," Yugi said.
"I do too," Ryou said.
"Very well," Bakura said before picking Ryou back up. He and Yami took Yugi and Ryou back to Littleville.
After putting Yugi and Ryou down behind a tree just as you crossed into the forest, Yami and Bakura prepared to return to the Fairy Kingdom.
"Can we see each other tomorrow?" Yugi asked.
"Count on it Yugi. The people of my kingdom are more than happy to let Bakura and I spend time with you and Ryou. You believing in us long before meeting us really lifted their spirits," Yami responded before he and Bakura flew off.
Just before Yugi and Ryou went into the town, an invisible force paralyzed them. They tried to scream for help, but the paralysis spell had also affected their voices. Then they felt themselves floating away from the town. Hours later, they were very deep into the forest. They stopped, but they still couldn't move. A few moments later, the saw someone who looked like Seth approach them. But this person had blonde hair and dark green eyes.
"Ah, welcome to my domain," Samuel said. He then removed the spell off Yugi and Ryou. "Try to escape, and I'll paralyze you again."
"But Seth told us that you were stripped of your powers," Ryou said.
"I was stripped of my powers. But living in this area was the best choice I could ever make because I found a sorcerer's cave. He wrote down how he used his powers step for step. I studied hard and practiced it daily. Now I know everything that the sorcerer did. The sorcerer did because he had been dead for centuries," Samuel said.
"That's a good bit of information to know," a voice said.
"Who's there?" Samuel asked.
Two figures stepped out from the shadows.
"Yami! Bakura!" Yugi and Ryou shouted.
"How did you know I took them?" Samuel demanded.
"Actually, we didn't know it was you. We just knew that Yugi and Ryou were in trouble. We saw them floating, and knew that someone had to be responsible since they can't fly. We decided to follow them, and it's a good thing we did," Bakura responded.
"How do you know when they are in danger?" Samuel asked.
"That's for us to know, and you to find out," Yami responded.
Yugi and Ryou made a break for Yami and Bakura.
"That's far enough," Samuel said before re-enacting the paralysis spell on Yugi and Ryou.
Yugi and Ryou stopped dead in their tracks.
"You'll have to do better than that," Yami said. He removed the spell off Ryou and Yugi with just a wave of his hand. Then he snapped his fingers, and Yugi and Ryou appeared beside him and Bakura.
Samuel looked ready to cast another spell. That was quickly taken care of when he felt magical shackles bind his hands. He looked and saw Bakura's hand stretched out.
"That will be all from you for now," Bakura said before picking up Ryou.
Yami picked up Yugi, and the four headed back to Littleville. When at a far enough distance, the shackles disappeared off of Samuel's hands.
'You've won this time. But victory shall be mine in the end,' Samuel thought.




Well, here's the end of chapter 2. Now you know how Samuel became corrupt. Preview for Chapter 3: A Healing Touch: Samuel allies with the animals that attack Littleville. This attack on the town is the most serious yet. Yugi and Ryou manage to escape from the town, but get into more danger when the animals go after them. Yami and Bakura come to the rescue, but are seriously hurt while defending Yugi and Ryou. But a single touch from Yugi and Ryou heals Yami and Bakura. How is this possible? You'll have to read to find out.