Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Settling the Score ❯ Settling the Score ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Settling the Score

A fic by: Saiya-jin Spice - Sugar, Nice, and Everything Spice! Spicing up your fanfiction, just the way you like it!

Yu-gi-oh (c) Kazuki Takahashi

Note: Please read the author note to clear up any perplexity you might have about the setting and time of this story. And about Malik. ::sweatdrop::

A/N: Hello, everyone! I’m very happy that you’ve decided to read my piece of work. Hopefully I can write up to your expectations! Please enjoy this one-shot that takes place in Battle City most likely after the duel Yuugi had with Jounouchi when Malik possessed him. In the anime Mai dueled after that and then everyone went straight into the finals. Well, that didn’t happen now. XD Instead, they returned back to Battle City a bit longer and Yuugi’s currently supposed to be engaged in an “unknown duel”. This is where this will start, only with Anzu and Jounouchi. I hope this clears up any uncertainty you might have had.

Another note is that, PLEASE, when I mention Malik, do not think of the horrible American voice actor / dub. No, no, and no! His original voice sounds actually like a normal teenager. I can’t emphasis that enough. No, he doesn’t sound like some old pervert-man who smokes ten packs a day and is hooked up to an oxygen tank. I’m sorry, but that’s just not him. I can also assure you, you will not catch him saying corny sayings such as: “I promise by the sands of Egypt that I will be Pharaoh! ::insert strained laughter::” That’s just not how it goes!

With that aside, please enjoy!!

Anzu hated how Malik could control her mind at will. That’s why she thought it was a good idea to just take him down herself in Battle City. Big mistake. Now she’s stuck in his ship as hostage and...what’s this about a kiss?! [One-shot. Anzu x Malik.]

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Anzu!” Jounouchi Katsuya called desperately as he chased after the heated brunette girl.

“Shove it, Jounouchi!” she snapped as she abruptly turned around; very out of her normal optimistic character. “If you follow me, I swear I’ll start screaming ‘chikan’!” [Note: In Japan, woman will scream ‘chikan!’ if there’s a groping pervert nearby!]

Jounouchi just froze as he stared at her through absolutely hurt and befuddled chocolate eyes. What was with Anzu? He understood that she was upset. Afterall, this whole Battle City had been nothing but ordeal after ordeal. And with Malik involved, things went from bad to worse. He knew that she was also unbelievably infuriated because Motou Yuugi had once again run off and placed himself in danger for a duel. He was displeased too, but more especially because Anzu and him had become aware of the common knowledge that Malik had control over them with his Millennium Rod. Not exactly a thought to cheerily drink tea to.

But this didn’t explain why Mazaki Anzu was so enraged to the point she’d be screaming at him. Anzu had been keeping her cool considering what had previously happened to her. She was normally the rational one out of the whole group. Why would she suddenly explode now?

“Anzu, look. You just can’t run off! Don’t you understand that you’ll get hurt! You can’t go wandering around by yourself! Remember that Malik’s Ghouls are all over the place. You can’t tell who’s a slave to his rod, and who isn’t. We have to stick together,” Jounouchi tried to reason with her.

The high school girl inhaled deeply, most likely as an attempt to calm herself. “Oh, so it’s okay for Yuugi to just run off and put himself at risk, and not have anyone stop him while he’s at it? Jounouchi, he could be killed and if there’s someone you should be looking out for, it’s Yuugi. In fact, Honda’s by himself and you aren’t having a fit. Is this because I’m a defenseless girl?” she demanded, her ocean blue eyes practically glittering in the afternoon sun.

The blonde-haired duelist let out an aggravated sigh as he raked his fingers through his messy locks. “Anzu, you gotta listen to me. To be honest, it was Yuugi who told me to look after you in the first place! I wouldn’t have been as concerned as much with you than I would be with Shizuka. Girl, I know you can take care of yourself! But it was as if Yuugi and Mou Hitori no Yuugi were talking at once, and when they get that look in their eye, you just don’t mess around. He specifically mentioned you, not Honda, who he wanted to make sure was safe. And by all means, I’m gonna listen to him.”

“Watch me?” Anzu repeated incredulously. “If there’s anyone who needs to be ‘watched’ it’s him! Oh, Jounouchi, this is all Malik’s fault! All - his - fault!” she cried kicking a trashcan in frustration. “Why can’t he just leave Yuugi alone?”

“Anzu,” Jounouchi said, now standing next to her. “You know it’s just not that simple because if it were, Malik would have been gone along time ago.”

“...It’s not fair. Why is Yuugi always placed in danger? He’s such a sweet kid and just because he’s the world’s top duelist and....and...well, because he has the spirit of a pharaoh inside of him, it instantly makes him a target. He’s been through so much, why can’t people just leave him alone?” Anzu softly fumed as she leaned her back against a tree trunk.

Jounouchi reassuringly placed a hand on her shoulder. “I know it seems tough now Anzu, but we’ll get through it. Everyone will. As will Yuugi. So just sit tight, and don’t go running off doing anything crazy. Like I said, Malik’s Ghouls are all over.”

The pretty brunette stared down at the ground with narrowed eyes, watching as ants picked at a piece of leftover pizza on the ground. “There’s that name again,” she commented as casual as she could. “Malik. It’s little Malik’s fault that we’re in this mess and can’t have a decent, normal Duel Monsters tournament! Because little Malik is such a baby and holds some kind of stupid grudge against Mou Hitori no Yuugi. I say, he should take his childish temper tantrums and pouting and go shove it. No one needs to hear it, especially not us. And being as he likes talking through other people so much, instead of showing his own face, he should be grateful he’s such a coward. Because, if he did show himself, I would be obliged to go and beat the crap out of him with his own Millennium Item!”

The blonde-haired duelist suppressed a chuckle. There was no denying it; Anzu was one tough chick. A lot of people would have been terrified in her position, but not Anzu. Instead Anzu was ranting about how pathetic this potential killer was and what she was going to do to him. Did anything ever scare the girl? Most likely not unless... something really did happen to Yuugi. Jounouchi gravely mused.

“Anzu, trust me, I feel for ya. If I had things my way, that pansy would already have gotten a beating from me and be found in pieces in some local garbage truck. Well...him and rich boy Kaiba. And Kaiba would be in even more pieces...Yeah, that’s right. With his arms so badly ripped off that ---”

“Jounouchi!” Anzu injected. “We’re talking about Malik here, not Kaiba! And besides, Kaiba is on our side, remember? Please don’t talk about other people like that.”

“Excuse me? And this is coming from ‘Little Miss I-want-to-beat-the-crap-out-of-Malik-with-his-own-Millennium-Item!’ One word for you, girl. And that is: hypocrite. Hypocrite with a capital ‘H’.”

“I’m surprised you even know what it means,” Anzu muttered under her breath.

“Hey, I know plenty. Plenty more than you, that is. In fact,” Jounouchi turned to the side so that Anzu was getting a profile of him as he held up his Duel Disk. “I’m sure that I know way more than you about dueling. In fact, you can’t even compete with me. Maybe you could have slightly kept up back in the beginning of the school year, but that was because I was taking it easy on ya. Now, I wouldn’t hold back. I did place second back in Duelist Kingdom after all. I didn’ see you doing that, now did I? Nope, you were only the cheerleader. A cheerleader, in fact. Because we also had Honda and Bakura-kun there with us.

Plus, I hold a lot of common knowledge as well. Such as from the start of yer wrist to the top of yer elbow, is how big yer feet are. Pretty cool, huh? Betta didn’t know that. Huh, huh? Am I right, Anzu? Anzu...? ....Crap.”

The girl, who had been standing right in front of him, had slipped away right under Jounouchi’s nose and was no where in sight. Panicking, Jounouchi let out a cry as his eyes desperately scanned the area.

CHIKUSHO!” he cursed as he practically dug his fingernails into his scalp in dread. “Where’d ya run off to, Anzu?! Crap, Yuugi’s gonna kill me if he finds out about this!” Jounouchi practically shrieked as passing people gave him strange looks. “I have to find her! I just hope one of Malik’s useless Ghouls don’t get to her!” he growled as he immediately ran off in search of the brunette.

~~~~~

Anzu glanced up at the gargantuan, gold and white warehouse that rested by the ocean in the outskirts of Domino. Her nerves were jittery and seemed to being pricked with patches of blistering fire. But she overlooked her feelings of uncertainty because she recognized that she had to follow her instincts. She knew Malik had to be close by. She was lucky enough to sneak by Jounouchi because if she hadn’t, he would have followed her and never allowed her to go anywhere without him. She felt sorry for going against his and Yuugi’s wishes, but this was something she had to do. They would never let her get away with it.

In fact, she was beginning to question if she actually would go through with it. After all, she was only one girl, without any kind of powers or Millennium Items, and there was little too nothing she could do without getting hurt. In fact, now that she thought about it rationally, there wasn’t anything she could do! She was so fired up from before about carrying through her plan of dealing with Malik, she forgot that she was completely defenseless. Malik was insane, held possession of a Millennium Item, could control her at any given time along with his followers, and wanted to kill Yuugi. There was little too nothing she could do against someone like that.

How could she have been so foolish? Yes, she had a feeling Malik’s hideout was nearby because that was where he had held Jounouchi and her captive until Yuugi came. She had never actually seen him before, and the only thing she had been able to distinguish was a man in a deep violet cloak. For all she knew, Malik was probably some crazy and obese old guy! (A very scary thought, she might add)

Thinking about it logically, with barely even glancing at her, he could effortlessly make her fall to his mind controlling powers, and she would be a goner. In fact, if he got his hands on her, he would probably use her against Yuugi, which would only add to her friend’s burden.

Letting out a defeated sigh, she turned on her heel as the wind picked up, causing freezing bits of ocean water to slash against her face. She winced while making an attempt to smooth the stray strands of her silky brown hair when an amused voice broke through the otherwise silent atmosphere.

“Looking for someone?”

Anzu gasped and spun around, her heart throbbing in surprise, as she took in the figure behind her. Was it...Malik?! An attractive and thin teenage male of standard height, with beach-blonde hair and amethyst-like eyes, tight black leather pants, and an abundance of gold jewelry stood behind her with his hands in his pockets. A familiar smirk played at the corners of his lips as the wind caused strands of his hair to caress the sides of his face.

Anzu breathed in a deep sigh of relief as she placed a hand on her chest to steady her racing heart.

“Namu!” she cried in almost relief. “You scared me!”

He smiled as he cocked his head to the side. “I’m sorry that I did, Anzu. I hope you have no hard feelings.”

Anzu flashed him her award-winning smile as she trotted over to him. “We thought, well, - Jounouchi and I - thought that the Ghouls got you. We didn’t know what happened to you, but thank goodness you’re okay! I was so worried! Are you okay? No offense, but you took a pretty hard beating from those jerks. Are you all right?” she inquired concerned, with narrowed sapphire eyes, as she scanned his body for any bruises or swelling he might have had.

Namu momentarily blinked in surprise. “A-Anzu...I’m okay. Really, don’t worry.”

She stared up at him with a frown, her gaze drawn intense, as she studied him. “But you were hurt. Even Jounouchi was, and he’s a pretty tough guy. You poor thing! Here, let’s take you back to the hospital so that they can examine you further.”

Namu practically gaped taken aback at the attention this girl was giving him. Was it really possible for someone to be this nice? She barely even knew him, and in fact....

“Come on, let’s go,” Anzu smiled warmly as she lightly tugged at his hand.

Still overcome with surprise, especially with Anzu’s hand clasped in his, he glanced over his shoulder and mouthed: “Rishido.”

Anzu paused when she felt Namu wasn’t moving and glanced over her slim shoulder. “Hey, what’s wro ---” she was abruptly cut off when something slammed into the back of her neck.

Pain shot through her like a thorny arrow as she instantaneously melted into a world of darkness and lost all consciousness...

~~~~~

“Anzu.”

The brunette slightly stirred with a groan but otherwise didn’t move.

“Anzu. Get up.”

She repeated a similar action, only this time more faintly. An aura of exasperation seemed to come somewhere within the blackness.

“Get up, NOW!”

Something shot through her mind like a whistling bullet as her eyes snapped open, as if someone tore them open by an invisible force. However, she was expressionless with empty azure eyes and a mindless doll-like appearance. Which was all she looked like; a pretty little doll with a frozen expression. No thoughts went through her except the one to obey her master.

“Now stand.”

Obediently she slowly stood, her slender arms hanging limply at her side and strands of hair falling over her vacant eyes, as she faced the sound of the voice. “Yes, Malik-sama.”

The voice, which evidently belonged to the figure - Malik - stood in front of her, smirking as he came out of the shadows. The Millennium Rod purposely glinted in his hand. “Good girl,” he ridiculed as the boy released the control he had over her mind. “I suppose I’ll let you think on your own so that you may hear this.”
Anzu blinked as she instantly came to life, including the color rushing back into her alabaster skin. “H-huh...” she muttered in a daze, trying to recollect herself. She had brief memories of someone calling to her and then she heard the word...Malik. Wait, Malik?!

She glanced up horrified but only came face-to-face with a smirking Namu. Suspicions that formed into what she knew was the truth, rushed to her like liquid as she stated, “You...You’re aren’t really ‘Namu’, are you? You’re...really Malik. You just came up with a fake identification...right?” she could barely hear the words come out of her own lips.

Namu’s - or Malik’s - smirk broadened as he leaned forward with his hands on his small hips. “From what I’ve seen you always were the perceptive one, weren’t you, Anzu? A very smart girl. I’m surprised you didn’t figure it out from the start, but I suppose that would be compliments on my acting skills. Perhaps after I deal with Yuugi I should look into the profession, no?” he chuckled lightly as he cupped her chin in his hand.

The brown-haired girl’s heartbeat quickened as she stared into the amethyst eyes of none other than Malik Ishtar. She couldn’t believe it. There had to be some kind of mistake. There was no way sweet and kind Namu could be the insane Millennium Item wielding Malik. There was just no way this was possible! How could she, Mazaki Anzu, - top of her class (well, besides Kaiba.... and a few other nameless brains) - not see this before! How could she not have seen something mistrustful about this Namu character coming out of nowhere and then escaping perfectly fine from the Ghouls?

How could she just be so dumb?

She bowed her head in indignity as she nonchalantly placed a hand above where Malik was holding her face. She probably shamed Yuugi...Not to mention his delicious other self. She mentally slapped herself. Anzu, this is no time to be thinking about Mou Hitori no Yuugi! Sick girl!

“Well, congratulations, Malik. You fooled all of us and now I’m right in your grasp. So tell me what are you going to do now?” Anzu snapped bitterly.

Malik pompously smiled, as his strokes on the sides of her face became harsher. “What happened to the cheerful girl outside by the ocean? Who seemed all too concerned with ‘Namu’. It’s a pity your emotions are so fickle that just because my name changed.”

“Excuse me?” Anzu spat disbelievingly as she shoved his hand away. “You are Malik! As in the same guy who possessed Jounouchi and I to do your bidding, and are trying to kill my best friend! Your personality of Namu was all a lie and wasn’t your true self! Your true self is a sick freak who’s twisted! I won’t associate myself with you! You...you wannabe villain!”

The Egyptian boy lifted an eyebrow with a grin playing at the corners of his lips. “Harsh words, little Anzu. But let me ask you a question; do you know why I want the Pharaoh dead? And, no, I wasn’t particularly concerned with the boy who hosts his spirit until he started giving me speeches every duel we had. It’s the Pharaoh I want dead. It’s because of him, my Father is dead!” Malik finished with venom, no longer smirking, as he stared furiously down at Anzu.

“What are you talking about? Mou Hitori no Yuugi would never do anything that involves killing!”

“How sweet and naïve you are, Anzu. You think you really know whom you’re dealing with? You are quite wrong. You are just blinded by the lies the Pharaoh feeds you, sweet Anzu. You have no accurate clue to who the Pharaoh really is, let alone his exact personality! Of course he’s going to cover up his true intentions around the boy and the rest of your friends. Rulers have to be good at lying, correct? And pure, innocent girls like yourself will just about believe anything that comes out of a pleasant, attractive face, won’t they? Why, what makes you think that as soon as he regains his memories he will not turn on you and your friends and kill you all? Saving the purest, you, for last so he can taunt you?” The Egyptian teenager inwardly smiled when he saw the stunned looked on her face.

“You...” Anzu finally begin after a moment of silence with tears filling the corners of her eyes. “Are a liar! I hate you!” she screamed as she lunged forward and presented his face with a right-hook punch.

Malik let out a cry as he held onto his throbbing face while simultaneously grabbing the girl piercingly by her wrist. “Mazaki Anzu, your friends will pay for that!” he threatened with rage as he roughly kicked open a door.

He sharply dragged the screaming and kicking high school girl through the door and threw her down on the carpeted floor as he locked the door behind them. They were now in a lounge room that had a couple of tables scattered about and a bar in the corner. Spherical windows lined the cream-colored wall and showed a crisp view of the ocean and the wooden dock where Yuugi and Jounouchi had been dueling. Although there were tables in the room, Anzu assumed that this was only Malik’s exclusive room. She tetchily glanced up through her messy bangs at the platinum blonde-haired duelist.

“You are forgetting,” Malik started heatedly as he whipped his rod out of his back pocket and trust it under her chin, right against her neck. “That I have possession over your mind. Right this instant I could have you fall underneath my control and have you trick Yuugi into coming straight to me. How would you like to help me out with that plan?”

Anzu all but hissed as she shoved his Millennium Item away. “Don’t speak to me or talk to me that way, jerk. I absolutely refuse to help you carry out your mediocre plans. It would make me look dumb because of the simplicity of them.”

Malik straightened up as he arched his light eyebrows in amusement. He was not accustomed to having someone talk back to him in such a way; especially a slave. And this intrigued him because Mazaki Anzu wasn’t your average girl. He had seen her caring side when she had been trying to help “Namu”, but she was definitely no pushover. The proof was her fighting spirit right now. Although her punch had actually stung, her defiance was what interested him. The girl knew that he could take over her mind and even harm her, and yet, she didn’t back down. He admired her for that.

In fact, from the first time he met her there had been something different about her. He almost felt...fond of the girl. She just held that charismatic charm about her that could melt anyone’s heart. If that wasn’t enough, all she had to do was smile and that alone could make someone smitten. And although he had difficulty admitting it to himself, she was undeniably beautiful. Her pure and loving persona always seemed to shine through her facial features and she didn’t need makeup to enhance it. (Although when he was close to her, he did notice she was wearing strawberry scented lip gloss ^ ^;)

But, he had to remember, she was associated with the Pharaoh. Also known as the murderer.

“I like you, Mazaki Anzu,” he straightforwardly acknowledged as he stroked the head of his Millennium Item. “But it’s difficult to associate myself with a friend of my enemy’s. Which, by the way, is headed here. I sent notice to the Pharaoh that I have you held hostage and if he doesn’t get here in time, I will have no problem with letting my Ghouls...do as they please with you. And believe me, Anzu,” Malik sneered as she leaned forward looking down upon the girl. “They haven’t been able to touch a girl as pretty as you in awhile. Which would be a shame, because it would be terrible if something bad happened to you.” The sarcasm in his voice was apparent.

Anzu gazed up at him through an irritated expression, only this time it was more bewildered. “I don’t get you, Malik. One minute you seem like a nice, normal guy, the next you’re cruel. I don’t know your true intentions, but Yuugi will arrive in time, and he will save me!”

“Don’t be so sure,” Malik replied carelessly as he gestured towards a digital clock. “You see that? It’s 5:55. He has five more minutes to get here and I don’t see him coming.”

Anzu tried to swallow her fear as she clung onto her yellow purse strap. Of course Yuugi would come for her. The problem was, would he come in time? And would Malik really carry out his threat to her? Sometimes he appeared almost friendly, especially when he was Namu. And if someone was beyond doubt evil, they couldn’t just pretend to be that nice, right? Perhaps she could try to persuade Malik to do otherwise. Afterall, he did say he liked her, didn’t he? Anzu knew she felt a blush tinting her cheeks. She wasn’t used to guys telling her that; a lot of them just considered her to be “one of the guys” like Yuugi, Jounouchi, Honda, Otogi, and Bakura.

And she hated to admit it, but she did find the Egyptian teen quite attractive. When she had met him while he was posing as Namu, she had felt an attraction then, but just ignored it because of her feelings towards Mou Hitori no Yuugi. Afterall, that was her longtime crush, right? But she couldn’t help but still feeling cordial towards Namu. But now she had been rudely awakened to the fact that Namu was really Malik.

However she couldn’t help but feel there was something more to Malik than he was leading on. Just by speaking with him and looking into his eyes, she felt as if she could read his soul. And although she didn’t quite understand why, she had a feeling that Malik wasn’t really evil, just perplexed about his goals. There had to be good in him. Perhaps she could try to reach him...afterall, he was deliciously gorgeous. Anzu mentally slapped herself. Not again! Anzu, this is not the time to be thinking about this! Stop acting like a perverted guy!

“Malik,” Anzu began, fiddling with a strand of hair. “I may not exactly know your intentions for why you want to kill Mou Hitori no Yuugi, but I can assure you that he had nothing to do with your father. He’s known to put Penalty Games on those who deserve it, but he would never kill. Please, trust me. Maybe, we can start over...Can’t we speak rationally?”

Malik still held his raised eyebrows as he folded his arms over his muscular, yet trim chest. He casually sat down in a beige, padded chair as he leaned back grabbing a drink that was on the table. He unceremoniously stirred the ice, seemingly playing with it, as he stated without even glancing at her: “Speak rationally? I doubt that’s what you want to do.”

“Malik, listen! We’re going on about things all in the wrong perspective. You said, well, that you like me, right? Well, I kinda like you too...Provided if you weren’t a killer and after my best friend. (Anzu couldn’t believe she had just said that...-_-;) But, maybe we can make some sort of compromise? Please, Malik, Yuugi’s other didn’t do anything and I ---!” Anzu was silenced when she felt soft lips enveloping her own.

Large, yet warm hands were placed on the sides of her face as she was drawn up on a soft lap, and held by muscular arms. Slender fingers were entangled with her short, brown locks as the kiss deepened and the soft lips delicately sucked on her bottom lip. Anzu felt as if she were drowning in her own shock and pleasure, but she feebly pulled away when the kiss ended, staring straight into Malik’s amethyst eyes.

“Wh-what was that for?” she softly demanded.

“Five minutes were up. I figured I’d rather deal with you myself than let my Ghouls get to you.” The duelist set her down as he stood up as he gave her a soft, genuine smile. “And I don’t lie; I do like you, Anzu. But it’s evident that this won’t work out, so this can be our secret. I’ll let you go, but as for any possible confrontation in the future, don’t expect me to be cordial.” He unlocked the door and opened it. “Go.”

Anzu just gaped, practically looking like a fish with a hook in its mouth, not knowing how to react. Malik just kissed her! Malik! MALIK!! “But---” she began to protest as she abruptly stood up and trotted over to him.

Malik put his finger to her lips to silence her. With a wry smile he responded, “We’re supposed to be enemies, remember? You even said you hated me. Go, before I change my mind.”

Anzu couldn’t believe what was happening to her. He just kissed her and expected her to leave and pretend it never happened?! That was her first kiss and furthermore, Malik was supposed to be her enemy! What the hell was going on?

“You...you just can’t kiss me and tell me to leave! I need an explanation!” she finally retorted with all the strength she could muster.

“There is none. I just felt like it. Now leave, stupid girl.”

She numbly stepped out the door, for once not knowing what to say. In fact, it was almost as if her heart was...breaking. As she turned on her heel, Malik’s voice called out to her.

“Anzu!” She dully turned to face him. “I’ll consider what you said. About the Pharaoh. He must have some taste to be friends with a girl like you. But that won’t stop me from tracking him down and dueling him. But I’ll give him a fair chance, for you.”

Much to Anzu’s surprise, she felt a smile slip across her lips. “Thank you...Malik. When I see Yuugi, I’ll inform him that I escaped you because you’re really just a pansy.”

Malik sneered. “We’ll see about that. Now get going, or I will keep you here.”

Anzu stuck out her tongue, for some reason feeling more lighthearted. “A likely story. See you in the finals, Malik, where Yuugi will kick your butt!”

“I’ll look forward to it, Anzu...” he murmured as the girl ran off, her blue platforms clicking as she ran. “...Because I’ll be able to see you again. Who knows, maybe she is right about the Pharaoh. But until I have solid proof, I won’t believe anything. Not even her.”

“Malik-sama,” A husky and low voice confirmed from somewhere in the shadows.

Malik turned on his heel with his usual cold stare. “Yes, Rishido.”

“I have gathered the six locator cards already, Malik-sama. I believe it is time to depart for the Battle City finals where you will gain your revenge.”

The Egyptian male sneered, baring his white teeth. “Yes, it is time for the Pharaoh to die,” he laughed callously as he snatched the cards from his most loyal follower.

Rishido mutely stared at him through his impassive gold eyes and was about to comment, but decided against it, as the words died away in his throat. He had a small feeling that the Pharaoh would not, in fact, be passing away anytime soon. And it was all thanks to the words of a certain brown-haired girl who had somehow began to open the shut away light in his master’s heart.

Perhaps there was hope.

~ The End ~

A/N: YES!!!! I got all of that done in two incredibly long sittings! Okay, three, if you include the brainstorming. ::rolls eyes:: But whatever. It’s done! My first Malik and Anzu, and I can’t tell you how excited I am! How did you all react to it? Did you like it? Hate it? Enjoyed it? This was very hard for me to write because of two major reasons: 1.) I wanted to keep this as canon as possible and although this would of never happened in the anime, I didn’t want Malik to become all incredibly nice which leads to Anzu and him just making out. I wanted their relationship to be subtle and gradual, and towards the end, I didn’t want him to pull a complete 180. I tried to keep it as canon as possible and keep them in character. I tell you, at times, it was really hard!! I was thinking to myself “How the heck am I going to do this?” But I managed. Sort of.

2.) Malik is supposed to kill Atemu! Okay, I think it’s obvious that Anzu has the hots for Atemu and cares about Yuugi more than a dog loves a bone. Which lead to a biiiiiiig problem. Why would Anzu be into a guy who’s, well...kinda crazy? Not that Malik is, actually. He was just perplexed thanks to -fill in the blank- Shaadi. >:( Oh...I’m off subject. Anyway, it would be absolutely stupid to just randomly make the two fall in love so, so it had to be restrained. The slight relationship was because Malik did like Anzu but ignored it because killing Atemu was # 1 on his mind, and Anzu just saw some good in him because she does about people. Sees the good in them, that is. Makes sense? If not, I apologize for any in inconvenience I might have caused. I tend to accidentally do that...::sweatdrop.:: Just look at it how you want to look at it. Every reader interprets it differently to why someone did something.

Other than that, thanks for reading and I’d love to get some reviews! And by the way, just assume that Jounouchi is still looking for Anzu! :D Thanks again!

Love,

--- Saiya-jin Spice :3 [07/ 23/04]