Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Shadowing Glory ❯ Dying Valour ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shadowing Glory

'Thought'

"Spoken"

Reality (Normal Realm)

Fantasy (Card Realm)

~Dream~

[Shadow Realm]

/Yugi's voice in his head/

//Yami's voice in Yugi's head//

A/N: Ignore any of the following: - lack of clarity, O.O.C.ness and severe weirdness.

I leave each individual to draw from this as you please, and I will not spill my intentions, because I love to know I've left you with something to think about!

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh. Obviously.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------

Part 5 - Dying Valour

Yami ran along, clutching Yugi, as fast as his physical limitations would allow. He refused to slow down because of aching muscles or any obstacles in his way, they only drove him faster. He would often drop a glance at the quivering body in his arms, and offer a pained smile for comfort to the little one burying into him.

But still running.

Gaining momentum, despite any pains brought on by it.

The second he reached home; he sped up the stairs to Yugi's room.

Yugi winced as Yami carefully lowered him onto the soft mattress and looked his injuries over. The obvious were all external, shown as blood, grazes and bruising, all upon his face. Judging by the way his angel was lying upon his side, there were more upon his back and torso. Yami gently reached a hand out to further inspect, and the second he came in contact with tender flesh, Yugi yelped, edged back and looked up sorrowfully with his aggrieved violet eyes, "…Please…it…hurts…"

Yami instantly pulled back and apologised. He then placed his open palm upon Yugi's forehead, then rose up, and headed out of the room, quickly returning with soluble aspirin dissolved in water, and another of juice to wash out the taste.

"Drink this," he said, handing it to Yugi after he slowly pulled himself up into a sitting position.

After Yugi reluctantly swallowed it all down, Yami handed him the juice and brushed hair out of the little one's face as he drank. "Rest," he soothed, gently pushing him down after he had finished, "I'll be right here the whole time, watching over you."

Yugi nodded, then snuggled into his covers and slowly shut his eyes, soon falling into a deep slumber. Yami kept his word and brought over a chair, sitting and watching over the sleeping angel.

* * * * * *

The Dark Magician's eyes widened, as he read from a small, purple book. "Come see this," he beckoned to Mystic Elf.

She quickly fulfilled his request and joined him by his side. The Celtic Guardian joined them both, peering in between their shoulders. "What is it? What does it say and do?" he questioned excitedly.

"Yes! This will suffice…" she said, taking the book from the Dark Magician's hands and scanning one paragraph in particular, "It casts an aura… a kind of… dimensional pass, to put it simply. It allows you to slip through dimensions through focus on a particular place, or object… both inanimate and animate…! "

The Celtic Guardian cheered loudly, the Dark Magician grinned happily, whilst the Mystic Elf read on, chuckling at the display, "The only problem is it has restrictions and is temporary…how long it will last isn't clear…"

The Celtic Guardian instantly calmed, and turned to the others. "Then what are we waiting for?"

The Dark Magician looked at the Mystic Elf. She continued to smile, before speaking out. "Give me a minute, and I will prepare an additional aid for you."

"You're not joining us?"

"No, the spell will work better with just the two of you. He'll be able to stay back and keep close to Yugi whilst you sort the problem out. Magic is always more effective, and you're more powerful,"

"But not as powerful as required to do as you speak,"

"That is, until I use a special chant to pass my attack strength to yours. It will be my addition to the effort. I will stay behind and cast the spells, then watch over things here."

"That's a sacrifice, and I will not allow-"

"Shush, I have the utmost faith in you both. Prepare yourselves, I'll be ready in a few minutes."

With that, both the Dark Magician and Celtic Guardian left to ready themselves, hope restored.

* * * * * *

Yami stared down at Yugi, and sighed, determined on getting to the bottom of this all. If he could figure the cause, he could figure a solution and free his angel from all the conflict and pain. He ran his palms into his hair and clutched his head, trying to make sense in his clouded mind.

Yugi blinked up at him, stirring from his sleep.

/ Slipping… crumbling… / he glanced straight at Yami.

// …? //

/ …Nothing seems to make sense anymore… /

// …Nothing…? //

/ What's real, and what's not… there's no difference anymore… /

Yami watched as Yugi's violet eyes cried out in a silent desperation, and he felt his heart sink. // Yugi… //

/ It's all crumbling from around me, Yami, like one big fantasy… / he paused as he slowly shut his eyes. / … But the pain is so real… /

Yami sighed as he reached out a hand and wiped away the tears running down Yugi's pale, somewhat beaten face. As he did this, Yugi reached out a hand and placed it on Yami's arm. / …I'm scared… so scared… /

// Shush, I'm here to keep you safe, to protect you… I share your pains, Yugi… But I can't help you unless you talk to me… until then I can only watch. Rest now. //

Yugi rolled over and stared at the wall, yawning. He was right; but he just couldn't bring himself to telling Yami that he was part of the problem.

'Maybe…there's some other way… I can't hurt you like that, Yami…'

Sleep was a much missed comfort, he hadn't had one peaceful night since the dreams started… he was afraid of it all happening again. But he just couldn't fight it off, and soon found himself drifting off again.

* * * * * *

The Mystic Elf stared over the once flourishing vegetation and blue skies at the ever-growing darkness eating away at everything. 'So many are depending upon those two,' she thought, watching as the Dark Magician and Celtic Guardian made their way over, 'even I will be…' she smiled up at them both. "Are you both ready?"

They nodded as they joined her by her side.

"Then, I wish you Godspeed, we'll all be rooting you on from here."

With that, she slowly shut her eyes, entwined her fingers upon her chest and began to chant.

It was all about to start for the two waiting monsters.

* * * * * *

~ Yugi hadn't been surprised to find himself here once again, though still found it hard to adjust to the eerie and painful surroundings, and was beginning to tremble knowing what was waiting for him… lurking ever-nearer…

He hated the silence; the isolation…

He knew it was coming for him, but the suspense was killing him. He knew the intentions it had for him, it had made them rather clear. He gasped as he felt a burning leer fall upon his back, but when he spun round, it had gone. Yugi quickly began to edge back, scanning the area frantically.

Nothing.

All he could do was stand on the spot, waiting, or wander around anxiously. The consequence was always the same, he would end up being beaten or suffocated, slowly being tortured as his sanity slowly slid away like sand through open fingers.

He was suffocating even without the icy cold grip of his tormentor's clutch upon him. He heard a cold voice call out at him.

"Soon enough…" ~

Yugi jumped up, startled. Nothing had happened…? 'Soon enough…?' he thought, clutching his head. He didn't understand, but it had sent chills down his spine. Reluctance had nothing to do with it…

Yami was still watching him, and was looking rather concerned by his angel's sudden awakening, yet was mystified by the confusion written over his face. // What is it? Are you- //

/Okay, yeah. I …don't kno- /

But he was cut mid-sentence when he abruptly froze.

["God… not again!" he said in fear, as the darkness of the damned surrounded him.

"Tell me, Yugi, how do you do it?!" Yami Bakura growled at him, walking towards him.

Yugi stumbled back, fixated on the angry figure moving in on him.

"How?!!"

The walk turned into a lunge, and Yami Bakura had no trouble in snapping out a hand and grabbing the smaller figure by his neck, suspending him mid-air. He began to tighten his grip, and Yugi began to cough and choke. "H-how…w-w-what…?" he stammered, struggling to breathe.

Yami Bakura shook Yugi, still tightening his grip. "Don't play dumb with me, now tell me! How did you manage to pass through this realm?!!!" ]

Yami felt dizzy, sick but most of all scared.

No, he was beyond scared, as he continued to cry out and attempt to wake his angel.

All in vain.

He couldn't get a response.

…To Be Continued…