Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Tenshi ❯ Lost little Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Tenshi
 
It was a cold and rainy day in Domino city. The streets were flooded with backwash from overfilled sewers, making the sidewalks treacherous for pedestrians.
The mysterious girl, however, ignored the cold, the rain, the puddles, and the splashes made by cars going past. The girl was strangely dressed for a day such as this. Wearing a White tank top, now soaked through, with blue shorts that stopped mid thigh it was no wonder the girl was slightly shivering.
She looked down at the crumpled soggy slip of paper in her hand then looked up at the shop in front of her. She looked back down again and, crumpling the already wrinkled paper in her fist, walked on, her bare feet dirtying almost to black. She walked with her head down and shoulders slumped in defeat.
Her black hair hung heavy and wet, so it was well past the middle of her back, as she walked for hours, her dazzling green eyes lost in thought as she now automatically checked the paper to various signs. Suddenly her eyes focused on the building in front of her. She looked down at the paper and then up at the building. She did this several times then a small flitting crossed her face. If passerbies had cared to look they would have seen the smile that lasted for a millisecond. Then sadness and longing replaced the smile that was never there.
Taking a deep breath she pushed open the door to the shop, making a little bell ring crisply through the silence.
“Just a minute! I'll be right there to help you!” came a voice from the back of the shop. I wonder if any body can help me, she thought despairingly. Suddenly somebody came through the door carrying so many boxes she wondered how the old man carrying them could see. The Man in question was carefully walking over to the counter dropping a few boxes along the way.
The girl picked up the boxes on the floor and read the name on them: Duel Monsters. The words proclaimed. She silently turned towards the old man and held out the boxes. The old man, never really looking at her, took the boxes with a muttered “thank you”. He arranged them on the counter and, smiling, he looked at the girl.
He blinked several times taking in the sight before him. He took in her bedraggled appearance and filthy clothes, her dirty feet and her sad eyes. She looked like a ghost. And her eyes held so much sadness, yet you could still see that she was wise beyond her years. She looked to be around 13 or 14. He blinked again and replaced the smile that had fallen off his face.
“Can I help you?” He asked kindly. He got all kinds of strangers coming into his shop and asking for food or something to keep them warm and expected nothing different. The girl looked down at the floor. Her right hand clutched to soggy paper and her left hand clutched the top of her right arm. She opened her mouth and addressed the floor.
“Please sir, I came here because I was asked to follow these directions.” She said quietly, showing the old man the paper. The man looked at the paper, intrigued by the girl's response.
“I see, and what were those instructions?”
“ To come to this shop and find the one called the `King of Games'.” She answered still staring at the floor.
“ And what would you need with the king of games?” He asked looking at her sharply. She looked up at the old man and he was surprised to see tears in her eyes, threatening to over flow onto her cheeks. The man was shocked. The girl was not a ghost with unfeeling eyes but more of a fallen angel who would give her heart and soul to find what she was looking for. He couldn't stand to see her cry. He gave her a tissue from off of the counter.
“Please don't cry.” He said. “The king of Games is my grandson. His name is Yugi and you can call me Mr.Mouto. Yugi's at school right now but he should be home any minute. In the mean time we can wait back here.” He said leading the poor girl back to his living quarters at the back of the shop.
She stood there, looking at the comfortable living room, taking in the couch, coffee table, plants and various artifacts from around the world, scattered artfully around. Mr. Mouto disappeared for a few seconds then reappeared with a mug of hot chocolate.
He saw her standing there, looking as though she had never seen the inside of a house before.
“Please, sit down Miss….” He asked, setting the hot chocolate on the coffee table.
She still stood there biting her lip, looking at the floor. Finally she managed to sob out,
“ I don't know.” And burst into tears. She almost crumpled to the floor but Mr. Mouto managed to help her to the couch before she did any damage to herself. Mr. Mouto was a bit shocked at the strong out burst. EH looked on helplessly as she cried for a few more minutes. Eventually she sniffed and managed to stem the flow. Mr. Mouto handed her another Tissue this time from off the coffee table. She smiled at him weakly before blowing her nose and wiping the traces away.
She sat there looking at the floor. Then all of a sudden her head snapped up and, as if on que, the bell to the shop rang, announcing an arrival. Then the girl and old man heard voices wafting through the door.
“Hey Yug! What ya got in da fridge? I'm starving!” some body exclaimed.
“Joey, your always hungry! I'm surprised you can make it through the whole school day with only one lunch break!” another voice said.
“ Would you two stop fighting.” An exasperated female voice called out.
Before the girl and Mr. Mouto knew it, four teenagers burst into the room. The first two, a blond and a brunet, where horsing around, throwing punches and banters at one another. Then the girl who had called out at them to stop, came through the door, her eyes rolled up in a heaven help gesture. Slightly behind her, a small boy came through the door, grinning at the antics of his friends. The girl locked her eyes on that one.
He was the one. She knew he was the one. It was Yugi, the King of Games. At that moment Yugi realized that his grandfather had a guest. He looked at the girl and their eyes met.
It was like time was standing still. Who was this beautiful girl? She was…strange to say the least. He took in her wet cloths and bare feet. He also noticed a slip of paper, crumpled and soggy almost beyond recognition, looking more like pulp than paper.
He saw her get up from the couch and bow a greeting to the gang. Joey and Tristan stopped their play fighting and stared at the girl. Tea looked at the girl then noticed Tristan and Joey staring. She smirked then looked at Yugi who was also staring. A look of annoyance crossed her face, then was quickly replaced with a smile that carried a hint of malice.
“Hi Mr. Mouto. Hello.” She said as if the girl was an after thought. “ I don't believe we have met before. My name is Tea Gardner and these two lunk heads are Joey,” Here she pointed towards the blond, “ and Tristan.” She pointed towards the brunet. “ And this is my best friend Yugi.” She placed a claiming hand on Yugi's shoulder. “ You may know him as the King of Games.”
The girl just nodded her eyes still on Yugi. Yugi had blushed and muttered a bit about how he hated being called that.
“And you are….?” Tea asked briskly with a hint of annoyance.
The girl looked down at the floor, her teeth biting her lower lip, tears starting to appear again. Tea looked alarmed. She hadn't meant to make the girl cry. She had asked a reasonable question. Hadn't she?
Mr. Mouto looked at the group who were looking at the strange girl. “She doesn't know who she is.” He said quietly. “ All she knows is that she had to find the King of Games.” He said fixing his blanching grandson with a bemused look.
“Then what do we call her?” Joey said with a puzzled look on his face. Jou was always up for making new friends no matter what they looked like. Every body thought it over. Yugi was again staring at the girl, but this time he noticed a thin line of silver around her neck.
“Excuse me but, whats that?” He asked pointing at the chain. The girl looked at it in surprise, as though she too had just noticed it. She gave the chain a small tug and a silver charm swung around from the back. The charm was a silver rectangle with an angel on one side and some squiggly lines on the other.
“Why, that's a Cartoosh! And the writing on the back is Arabic...” He trailed off looking at the lines.
“What's it say Grandpa?” Yugi asked curiously. Mr. Mouto read the Arabic, blinked then smiled. “ I know what we can call you.” He said, totally changing the subject. Puzzled but going with it Yugi asked. “What?”
Mr. Mouto pointed at her necklace. “Tenshi.”