Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Arrangement ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Arrangement

Chapter Four

"Why didn't you two tell us, Duke?" Joey asked confused, glancing up from his slice of pizza and looking across the table at Duke.

After leaving his cousin at the safety of the Kaiba manor, Duke had invited his and Selina's friends out for dinner to discuss an important matter. And so, here they were, eight-thirty p.m. with Joey still eating, and the others patiently waiting for the story.

"She didn't know about this until four days ago, when I presented Kaiba's proposition with her. She was, of course, hesitant at first, but called me up the next day and I explained more in detail the situation and…she agreed and signed the contract and marriage certificate," Duke explained.

"So they didn't even have a wedding? They just…signed a paper," Mai commented, glancing up from her nails. "Poor girl. It'd be terrible to just sign a paper and not wear the dress or walk down the aisle. And to someone like Kaiba…"

"How did they meet, Duke?" Yugi asked curiously, his arm casually draped around Tea.

"Well," Duke began, scrambling for the proper way to start. "It was one of her trips to the hospital…when her father was releasing his anger on her. Mokuba had his tonsils removed and they wound up being roommates that night. So, naturally, she met Kaiba and, from what I've heard, she beat him in a duel. But, they hadn't seen each other since."

"Then, wh-"

"It's a long story. And all Mokuba's idea too," Duke sighed, closing his eyes.

"We're listening," Tristan said, stealing a piece of pizza from Joey's plate, ignoring the cold glare Joey was giving him.

~*~*~*~

"You idiots can't do anything right!" Kaiba yelled at a couple of his employees, throwing papers back into their hands. "I pay you to get a job done and you can't even do it right! I want these papers back in an hour, done correctly!"

"B-but Mr. K-Kaiba, Sir," one of the men began. "It took us over a week to-"

"I don't care how long it took you to do it incorrectly! If these papers are not on my desk in an hour, done correctly, then you're both fired!"

"Y-yes Mr. Kaiba," the other man stuttered, hurrying out the office, close on his co-worker's heels.

"Idiots!"Kaiba frowned, slamming his fist down onto his desk, paying no notice to the shock that ran up his veins.

"Seto, you really shouldn't be that hard on them, they've only been working here a little over a month," Mokuba said gently, walking into Kaiba's office with a cup of coffee in his hands.

"If they can't get anything done right, then they don't belong here Mokuba," Kaiba muttered through gritted teeth.

"Kaiba," Duke called through the door, striding into the office.

"Devlin.I hope you're bringing good news."

"Nothing but it.Mina Tech. has signed the proposal. They've agreed to manufacture the shell for the virtual game we're working on. And, they've agreed to do it cheaper than we were going to offer."

Kaiba smirked, most his anger leaving. "Wonderful. But, who are we going to get to create the graphics. We both know that I'm too busy to create them, and even with the graphic simulation program, it would take much too long considering all the work I have. And we both know that you can't even work the program. And I don't trust any of the incompetent fools working for me…I want to spare no errors in this game."

"Mokuba?"Duke suggested, glancing over at the silent teen spectator.

"Is almost as bad as you," Kaiba answered, smirking at his younger brother. "Mokuba, go to my secretary and have her let the two idiots who were in my office a moment ago that they have fifty minutes left."

"Ok Seto," Mokuba said quietly, walking out of the office.

"I do have a suggestion."

"And?"

"My cousin designed a prototype for a portable miniature Dungeon Dice Monsters a few years ago. She created all the graphics and designs, as well as programs for it, from scratch. I'm not sure where her knowledge came from, but I do know she is a prodigy in the graphics design arena. She also created something you might be interested in," Duke answered, his eyes lighting up.

"And that would be?"

"A prototype for a portable miniature dueling arena.One you could use in a moving car, without your cards flying everywhere."

Kaiba glanced at Duke, blinking back the images in his head from two years earlier. "Your cousin…Selina, correct?"

"Yes, but-"

"I'll consider it. I've seen her work, two years ago when we dueled, but I've not seen any since. Remember Devlin, I want this to be the best."

"As do I.And I can assure you my cousin is one of the greatest."

"Very well.Discuss it with her."

"Of course.I have some work to oversee now. Good-day Kaiba," Duke smirked, walking towards the exit.

Kaiba nodded and turned his head back to the computer screen, his mind not focusing on the work in front of him.

~*~*~*~

"What do you mean!" Kaiba yelled into the phone, his fist tightly clenched.

"Mr. Kaiba, this clearly states that-"

Without letting the man finish, Kaiba slammed the phone down into its cradle and narrowed his eyes into tiny slits. "Idiots!"

"Seto," Mokuba smiled, looking up from his work. "You know what you need."

"People who can actually do their job," Kaiba suggested sardonically.

"A wife," Mokuba smiled innocently.

Kaiba blinked, his mouth set slightly agape, as he stared at his younger brother in disbelief. "What?" he asked, believing he had heard wrong.

"A wife Seto.You need someone else, other than me. You know I don't want to work with you here Seto. You need someone who can give you…an heir, so to speak. Someone who can take over the company for you when you're just…too old," Mokuba suggested, smirking.

"That is out of the question Mokuba," Kaiba snapped.

"Think about it Seto. You can't live alone forever. One day, you'll wake up, and you'll be alone. I'll be gone one day Seto. You know I have plans for my future Big Brother."

Kaiba closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Mokuba, even if I were to consider…marriage, I know no suitable women close in age."

"Yes you do," Mokuba smirked even more, his eyes dancing.

"And who would that be?" Kaiba asked through gritted teeth.

"What's her name? Selina? Duke's cousin. You know, the girl who beat you in a duel."

~*~*~*~

"And that was it. According to Mokuba, Kaiba began to think about what he had said, and considered the prospect of marriage. After all, Mokuba was right. Kaiba does need an heir and Mokuba refuses. Mokuba didn't know Kaiba seriously considered his words until the day he overheard Kaiba talking to me about asking Selina to be his bride. And even then, I didn't believe him," Duke finished, glancing around at the flabbergasted faces.

"I can't believe that," Tea said in awe. "How can…how can she marry him if she hardly knows him, let alone, doesn't even love him."

"No one says they can't fall in love," Duke smirked.

"Come on Duke, we're talking about Kaiba here. Mr. Heart-of-Ice. You know, the guy that hates everyone, 'cept maybe you, and of course, his little brother," Joey countered. "I can't believe you let her marry that creep."

"Now, now, Joseph," Mai frowned slightly. "If Duke wants to let his little cousin marry a cold hearted man like Seto Kaiba, it's his choice. We're just her friends."

"I suppose I'm the only one who thinks this is a good thing?" Duke asked, looking around at all the faces slightly bobbing up and down in response. "Well, even if they never do love, I do know that she will be happy there. If love is the only thing he can't give her, at least she doesn't lack in anything else."

"What about true happiness Duke?" Tea suggested. "Without love…we're empty inside. She could have everything - children, money, protection; but without that love, what does it all mean?"

"We'll just have to find out. All I know about the situation at the moment is that Selina entered the mansion with confidence and grace. I truly can't think of a more suitable match for Kaiba."

"Well, we'll all just have to give them a chance. I mean, Kaiba may be cruel, but I don't think he'd ever hurt her," Yugi responded, bringing the conversation to an end.

~*~*~*~

The sun was slowly rising over the horizon in a brilliant array of gold and blue, painting the empty pallet of the sky. A few clouds hung around, casting slight shadows on the ground. The air was fresh and crisp on this wonderful early autumn morning as Selina pushed open the double French doors to her balcony and stepped outside. Breathing in deeply, the smells of a fading summer brushed against her nose.

She smiled slightly, glancing down at the gardens below. It looks like the most beautiful painting I've ever seen, she thought to herself before turning to enter back into her room. Glancing at her clock, she made a mental note that she had thirty minutes left before she had to leave to meet Tea at Carthridge's.

Throughout her morning, she had no knowledge of the navy eyes following her from the door connecting her room to Kaiba's. They had watched her rise from bed, grab her robe, and step out into the cool morning. They had watched her sigh wistfully as the wind caught her hair, brushing it behind her. And now, they watched her silently as she glided to her closet for an outfit.

"Alright, if I hurry, I can be out the door in under twenty minutes," she muttered to herself, rummaging through her clothing. Quickly choosing a simple outfit consisting of flared jeans, a white tank top, a black sweater, and sneakers, she rushed into her bathroom, completing her shower in under ten minutes.

In hopes of the steam from her warm shower to leave the mirror so she could apply makeup, she opened the door to the bathroom, her wet hair clinging to her face. Had she taken the time, she would have noticed the man watching her, his eyes fixated on her face. Hurrying, she began to dry her hair, coming across tangles and knots every so often. As soon as it was dry enough for her liking, she began on the tedious task of makeup.

Kaiba chose this time to make himself known. He'd been watching her since she had woken up, taking time out of his busy work day, just so he could tell her good morning. But after a few minutes of watching her, he realized he needed to know whether or not Duke had mentioned the graphic design for the new virtual game Kaiba Corp. was producing.

"Good morning." Leaning against the bathroom door frame, he smirked when he noticed Selina's slight jump.

"Good morning…Kaiba," she said softly, turning to look at him.

"Sleep well?" he asked coolly.

"Yes, thank you." She glanced away, looking at her face in the mirror. Her slightly damp shoulder length cinnamon hair was brushed behind her ears, seemingly brighter against the darkness of her sweater. Her eyes, predominantly green this morning, with a slight tinge of blue peeking out around the outer curves and near the pupil, were shining like beautiful gems.

And in Kaiba's eyes, she had no need for the makeup she was beginning to apply, but as quickly as the thought came, he shook it from his mind. I have more important things to concentrate on!

A few minutes of silence passed between the two, Selina surprising Kaiba when she turned and faced him completely, obviously done with her makeup. "Going somewhere?" he questioned casually, shattering the silence like a thin layer of glass.

"You told me I had an appointment at Cathridge's," she reminded him softly, quickly brushing past him, her nervousness beginning to grow.

Kaiba's arm reached out and grabbed her shoulder, impeding her from moving completely past him. "Did Duke speak with you about the graphics design proposition?" he asked her calmly, his grip not showing any sign of releasing her.

"Yes," she answered, focusing on her feet and trying not to wince at the pain beginning to grow in her shoulder.

"And?" he continued questioning her, taking no notice of the tightening muscle within his grip.

"I thought he told you," she replied, her teeth gritted in pain. "I've been working on it."

"You have an office at Kaiba Corp. with all the latest software and technology."

"I prefer the program I created," she muttered, her arm beginning the flinch noticeably.

"I see," he replied, releasing his grip and watching her rub her shoulder as she tightly closed her eyes. A slight tinge of pink made itself known to Kaiba as he focused his eyes on her shoulder. With one movement, he grabbed her upper arm lightly and moved her sweater from her shoulder, shocking Selina into an unmovable statue. "Where did this come from?" he asked her, his words lined with ice.

Selina stood there, silent and resigned. A quick shake brought her out of her state of shock. "I…it's…"

"I know what it is!" he snapped angrily, his eyes cutting into hers. "What I want to know is where it came from!"

Scared from his sudden outburst, Selina's face turned a shade lighter as she stared into the cold eyes of Seto Kaiba. In spite of her fear, she found she was more afraid of what would happen if she did not tell him, so she found the words she had used so often flowing freely from her mouth. "I tripped on a loose floorboard a few weeks ago," she whispered fearfully, sliding her arm out of his grip. "I have to go," she cried silently, fleeing from the room and leaving Kaiba behind with new knowledge of his wife's past and an image of her face.

"The way she looked at me," he cringed. "She looked like she thought I was going to hit her!" Turning angrily from his place in her room, he sauntered to his room and slammed the door forcefully, causing a picture to fall from the wall. From his room, he began walking down the hallway to his home office.

It's true that Seto Kaiba had a heart of ice, slightly melted at times, like the night before and while he was watching his new wife, but despite all that, he would never hurt a woman. Never in his life would he hit Selina, and the very fact that she believed otherwise caused him to pick up a vase from a hallway table and throw it onto the floor with such force that as it shattered, a few pieces flew up and bit at his feet. In his anger, he slammed his fist into the wall, creating a slight indent and bringing about the attention of his younger sibling.

"Big Brother?" Mokuba asked, popping his head from a nearby room. "Seto!" Mokuba yelled, running to the elder Kaiba and frowning at him. "What happened?"

"Nothing Mokuba, return to your activity," he muttered, beginning to walk down the hall, nearly colliding with a maid. "Make sure that mess is cleaned up and have someone come fix the wall today," he snapped, scaring the young maid out of her wits.

Seto, what's wrong with you? Mokuba questioned in his mind, following his brother with large, worried violet eyes. "Ichigo!" he yelled out, seeing his brother's personal guard coming from a room down the hall, not too far from the room Kaiba had just disappeared in.

"Yes Young Master Kaiba?" he questioned, a slight gleam of light hidden in his dark eyes as Mokuba approached, a frown on his face at the name he'd been called.

"I told you, it's 'Mokuba,' not 'Young Master Kaiba.' Where's Selina, I want to know if she knows what's wrong with Seto," Mokuba required, his frown increasing.

"I do believe that Roland just paged me to let me know they have left for Carthridge's. Master Kaiba had set up an appointment for her," Ichigo stated, watching the young teen with curious eyes.

"Oh," he said rather somberly. "Well, beware of Seto, he's in a horrible mood."

"I believe you have an appointment today Mokuba," Ichigo smirked at the younger Kaiba, straying from Mokuba's warning.

Mokuba glanced at his watch and gasped. He had five minutes to ready himself before he left for a party. "I'll be ready in a few!" he yelled, halfway down the hall.