Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Arrangement ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Arrangement

Chapter Five

"I'll be waiting here for you Selina," Roland told the young woman, seating himself on a velvet plush chair near the entrance of Carthridge's. "Let me know when you're ready to leave."

Selina smiled in response and looked around her at all the exquisite gowns and outfits. This has most certainly been the most expensive store I've been in, in my entire life, she commented mentally after glancing at a price tag from one of the not as glamorous gowns.

"May I help you?" an elder gentleman clad in a deep black tuxedo asked her, flashing his toothy grin.

"Oh, I'm just looking," Selina responded, dropping her hands to her sides in embarrassment.

"For anything in particular?" the man continued his questions, not too sure about the young lady in front of him.

"I, well-"

"Selina!" a voice called out from behind her, interrupting her sentence.

"Tea!" Selina called back, receiving a friendly hug from one of her closest friends.

Ignoring the man standing before Selina, Tea smirked, her eyes holding an all too familiar teasing glint. "So what's this I hear about your name? Selina Kaiba now is it?"

Upon recognition of the latter name, the elder man's smile grew as he interrupted their girl-talk. "Ah, so you're the young lady Mister Kaiba told me would be coming by. If you need anything, anything at all, do not hesitate to ask. We here are Carthridge's will be most willing to serve." Casting Selina one more toothy grin, the man trotted off to help another customer.

I'll bet,Selina muttered in her mind, a realization of her wealth slowly hitting her.

"So what's it like? What's he like?" Tea asked her, instantly going to an evening gown of black and deep blues.

"It's…new. The house is amazing Tea! After supper last night, I couldn't find my way back to my room. Thankfully, Mokuba found me. And before I settled in for bed, Kaiba came into my room and gave me a virtual map which I suppose he designed himself. I guess Mokuba told him of my getting lost," Selina laughed lightly, her eyes scanning the gown Tea was holding up to her.

"But what's he like?" Tea asked again, placing the gown in Selina's hands and motioning for her to try it on.

"Well," Selina began, walking to the dressing rooms. "He's…cold. Very busy; so busy that he missed supper last night and only came to say hello and to tell me I am not allowed to go anywhere without a body guard. He needs…something. I can see it in his eyes, I just can't put my finger on it. It's like, he's empty and no matter how much he makes or how much he works, nothing fills that emptiness. I just wish I could…" Selina trailed off, remembering their encounter that morning and the slight bruise that appeared on her shoulder because of it. Sighing, she walked into a room, taking her time to change into the gown.

"Well, he sounds like the Kaiba of youth. Back when we were only fifteen or so, he was so cold-hearted. The only person who really knew him was Mokuba, but still, he was pretty much too busy for him," Tea commented, leaning against the wall beside the door Selina walked through. "But don't worry, I'm sure you'll find whatever it is he needs," she added as an afterthought. By this time, Selina had slipped the gown on and had glanced in the mirror.

"What do you think?" she asked Tea, popping the door open and stepping out into the main lobby of the dressing rooms.

"I think it suits you and that Kaiba will like it," Tea smirked, noting the many ways the dress could appeal to him.

"I don't kn-"

"You're getting it. That's that."

Selina laughed before turning to re-enter the dressing room, pleased that she did not have to do this alone.

~*~*~*~

"Did you find everything alright?" the elder man from earlier asked the two young women as he rang up the four gowns Selina had decided upon.

"Yes, thank you," Selina replied rather shyly, worried on what the total would be.

"We always appreciate anyone from the Kaiba family." Smiling down at Selina, the man continued. "Please allow Mister Kaiba to know we appreciate his business."

"Yea," she mumbled, Roland walking up to them and taking the gowns from Selina.

"Where to now Selina?" he asked her casually, opening the door for her and Tea.

"The mall," she smiled, Tea's face showing her realization that Selina wasn't joking about having a body guard.

~*~*~*~

"Did she seem to adapt well?" Duke asked Kaiba as they sat in his office, taking a break from the strenuous work schedule.

"Hmm," Kaiba answered, sipping his coffee slowly. "I suppose. She seemed right at home this morning."

"Good," Duke smiled, pouring more cream into his mug.

"She said she's already begun working on the graphics for the virtual game we're producing," Kaiba stated nonchalantly.

"That's my cousin, always on top of things."

"Yes, but she refused to work here in Kaiba Corp.'s offices," Kaiba frowned slightly.

"Selina never has been one for offices surrounded by other people. She prefers solitude when she works. And although she knows she'd have that here, I'm almost certain it's an excuse to stay hidden from public eye. The media scares her," Duke chuckled, downing his coffee.

"That will have to change if she expects to make it as my wife," Kaiba mumbled, setting his coffee aside. "What is the status of the shipment?" he began, jumping back into business and pushing Selina from his mind and all memories of the morning behind. The moment was gone; he'd have to question Duke on her past some other time.

~*~*~*~

"Wow, I never knew I could do this much shopping!" Selina exclaimed, handing her seven bags to Roland.

"It helps when you have no price limit," Tea smiled, following Selina to the limo. "I believe the perfect thing to follow such a successful day of shopping is lunch."

"I agree. Roland, I'm not familiar with the restaurants nearby so could you choose one for Tea and I?"

"Of course Selina," Roland smiled, closing the door of the limo and opening the driver's side.

"So now we have time to talk," Tea smiled, turning to face her newly-wed friend.

Selina smiled slightly, averting her eyes as memories of the morning and her newfound fear of Kaiba returned.

"Selina, what's wrong?" Tea asked, concern etched along every word when she noticed Selina's semi-downcast glance.

"Tea, you know Kaiba much better than I do. What's he like towards you?"

"Well," Tea began, taken aback by her friend's question. "He's cold-hearted, arrogant, cruel, but he's also respectful to some people, in his own way. And when he's around Mokuba, he's a completely different person."

"That's what I thought," Selina mumbled, leaning back into her seat.

"Why?" Tea asked, confused.

"I was just wondering if he acted towards you the way he does me."

~*~*~*~

"Where are you now Roland?" Kaiba growled into the phone as he leaned forward, his elbows planted on his desk.

"We're just arriving at Café Bon Sir," Roland replied, pulling the limo into a parking area.

"When she is done eating, bring my wife to Kaiba Corp. immediately. There are things we must discuss. It's imperative you follow these orders. Understood?"

"Yes Mr. Kaiba. I'll see to it that Selina knows of this immediately."

"On the contrary, Roland. Don't tell her where you're taking her," Kaiba smirked into the phone.

"Yes, Mr. Kaiba." Roland turned off the phone and went to open the door for Selina and Tea, confusion etched within the depth of his eyes.

~*~*~*~

"I hope you and Yugi have a wonderful time tonight Tea!" Selina exclaimed, hugging her friend tight.

"We will. I just hope he likes the gift I got him."

"He will. I know it."

Tea smiled and turned to walk away towards her car, waiting solemnly in the Carthridge parking garage. "Selina," she called suddenly, stopping her friend from returning to the limo. "Give him time."

Selina half-heartedly smiled as she closed the door to the limo and sighed. Who knows when she'd see any of her friend's again. She'd have to divulge herself into working on the graphics for the video game Duke had convinced her into doing with him and Kaiba. And knowing Kaiba, he'd more than likely make her go to Kaiba Corp. to work on it; then again, she hardly knew the man behind the cool blue eyes; the man she called her husband.

So lost in her thoughts was this young woman that she hadn't noticed they had passed the Kaiba mansion and were heading further into downtown Domino. She wouldn't have even noticed the limo stopping if it wasn't for the rush of cool autumn air flooding the vehicle as Roland stood with the door open, waiting for her.

"Thank you," she mumbled, preparing to grab her bags.

"Umm, Mrs. Kaiba," Roland begin, using his strict business voice as many of the Kaiba Corp. employees were around and looking on with curiosity.

"Roland…where are we?"

"We're at Kaiba Corp. ma'am. I had specific orders to bring you here once lunch was over," Roland answered, somewhat nervous.

I just knew it! "Where's his office?" she asked softly, stepping out of the limo and gazing up at the ominous building before her.

"On the forty-third floor. Use this card to enter onto the elevator," Roland answered, handing Selina an identification card. "Kaiba Corp. has strict security policies and procedures. I'll be waiting here unless Mr. Kaiba tells me otherwise."

"Thanks," Selina mumbled yet again, entering the large glass double doors before her and stepping into the awaiting office building of the multi-billionaire Seto Kaiba.

~*~*~*~

"You have reached floor forty-three, Mr. Seto Kaiba's main office. Please exit the elevator and proceed to the screening room," a voice from the elevator spoke, obviously a recording.

"Screening room?" Selina asked the air wearily. What next, DNA testing and criminal history?

"Welcome to the screening room," a young woman spoke, standing up from behind her desk. "Please stand in front of this door and put your hand here. Make sure to keep your eyes open," she chirped, as if she were a machine.

Selina obliged, shaking her head at the fact she, the woman married to Seto Kaiba himself, was forced to have her hand and eyes scanned for identification. I guess it's for safety. After those five goons Duke told me about. I wonder if he has to go through this everyday?

"You may proceed," another automated voice said, the door opening for her.

Selina walked slowly through the hallway, her eyes glancing all around her. Kaiba certainly did seem to have a flare for plants; first the gardens at the Kaiba mansion, and now the plants lining the walls of the hallway to his office.

"Do you have an appointment?" a woman of around thirty, with short, curly red hair asked, hurriedly placing her coffee mug down on the desk and forcing a smile on her face.

"I'm here to see Kaiba," Selina said softly, fiddling with her hands.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry, but no one is allowed to see Mr. Kaiba unless they have a reservation. Mr. Kaiba's policy," the woman responded.

"But, he told me to come here. I-"

"Ma'am, no one is allowed to s-"

The door to Kaiba's office flew open, startling Selina and the secretary. Selina bit her lip, only to smile when she saw Duke exiting the office.

"We'll meet again tomorrow Devlin. I expect you no later than nine," Kaiba said, walking not too far behind Duke.

"Am I always so late that you must remind me not to be?" Duke joked, glancing at the two women standing quietly to his left. "Selina!" he cried out, walking briskly to give his cousin a brief hug. "If I didn't have business to run, I'd stay and chat awhile. But unfortunately, I do. And, if I'm not mistaken, Kaiba said he needed to speak with you." Duke smiled, turning from his cousin and heading down a hall, different from the one Selina had come through.

"I was wondering when you'd arrive," Kaiba said coolly, standing in the door to his office. "Why didn't you tell me my wife was here?" he growled, glaring at the shocked secretary.

"I-I-I, I didn't-"

"I don't want to hear your petty excuses," he snapped, his narrow eyes traveling to Selina. "Don't let it happen again." He turned to head into his office, Selina taking this as the cue to follow him. She softly closed the door behind her, slightly shaking from nervousness at once again, being alone with Kaiba when his mood was deplorable.

~*~*~*~

"So yesterday, talking with Duke about Selina and Kaiba. It made me realize something," Yugi smiled, walking arm-in-arm with Tea towards a quaint Italian restaurant outside of the main hub of Domino City.

"And what was that Yugi?" Tea asked happily, her eyes shining with excitement.

"Well," Yugi began, stopping beside a fountain and releasing Tea's arm. Boy am I nervous. "We've been dating for a few years now. Selina and Kaiba hardly know each other and they married, not completely sure of what they were stepping into. And I guess that got me to thinking about us and how we know each other better than anyone. Tea, what I'm trying to say is that, umm…" Yugi trailed off, sweat beginning to form on his brow. What if she says no?

"What is it Yugi?" Tea smiled, the sun beginning to embark on it's moonlit journey. Stars were slowly peaking out behind the blues and pinks of the setting sun.

"I love you Tea. And, I," he stopped, closed his eyes, and dug his hand deep into his pocket, pulling out a small, black velvet box. Slowly, he knelt down on one knee and prepared himself. "I know what I'd be stepping into. I finally realize that I don't want to be without you…ever. Life is so short and it's not worth it without you. Tea Gardner, will you be my wife?"

Tea was silent as she stared down at the violet eyed young man, a lonely crystalline tear falling from her eye. "Yugi Motou," she chastised, sniffling. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

Yugi grinned and slid the ring on her finger before jumping up and pulling her into a passionate kiss. "I love you," he whispered, breaking the kiss and holding her close, forgetting about their dinner reservations.

"I love you too," Tea whispered, closing her eyes. If only…oh Kaiba, if only you'd love her. I know you two don't know each other well, but I know how you are. You're always working and always busy. If only you'll learn to love her and give her what Yugi has given me. A reason to smile, a reason to breathe.