Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Arrangement ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Arrangement

Chapter Six

Silence lingered in the air as the young couple sat silently, one typing hastily on his laptop, the other trying to make out trees and people through the window as the limo flew by and darkness set in. It wasn't a comfortable silence in the least, but an awkward one; a gauche stillness. Yet the two tried to pay no attention to it; only one succeeded.

Selina sighed and closed her eyes, deciding it was impossible to make out any images at the speed they were going. If anything, she'd make herself dizzy by watching the blurring images fading into darkness.

It was strange, the conversation they'd had; mind-boggling if you will. But it wasn't necessarily the words he'd said, but the manner in which they'd been given. Almost, as if he truly cared. But, it was too much to hope for; too much to desire. Yet, there was still that tiny glimmer of light in the distance, a near breakthrough. And then, it was gone; shattered like a crystal glass hitting the ground. And there was Kaiba, cold and distant once again.

But still, Selina had to reason with herself. After all, they had only been married one day and they hardly knew each other. It definitely was too much to hope for him to truly care now, but she didn't feel it too much to hope that he would grow to care. Perhaps as they grew to learn more about each other…

~*~*~*~

Selina slowly sat in one of the plush black leather chairs in front of Kaiba's desk, waiting for him to turn around in his swivel chair. It was agonizing, waiting for her cold-hearted husband, to begin talking. But nonetheless, she waited, excruciating as the minutes were.

"I was adopted you know," he began coolly, not bothering to turn his chair to face her.

"Duke told me," Selina whispered softly.

"My step-father was a deplorable man. He separated Mokuba and I to where we could only see each other if one of us were to sneak out; which was nearly impossible to do. I hated him so much, I wasn't the least bit upset when he died," Kaiba spat out, turning his chair around and facing Selina. His eyes were tiny slits, only a small glimmer of blue shining through, but he could see her clearly. "And now that you know something about my past, I want to know something about yours."

Selina blinked, drawing in a silent, deep breath of air. Seto Kaiba wanted to know about her past? But if she told him the truth, it was certain he would look on her with disgust.

Unwilling to wait for her to speak, he assisted where the conversation would head. "What I hated the most about Gozuboru wasn't that he made my life a living hell, but that he hurt Mokuba."

Selina swallowed, now fully aware of where this was going; and she was not liking it. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

"Whether or not you realize this Selina, you are my wife and therefore, you are obligated to tell me the truth!" he snapped, standing from his desk. "I will ask you again, and this time, I want to know the legitimate story! Where did the scar on your shoulder come from? By the look in your eyes this morning, I doubt you fell." Kaiba was seething in anger, not necessarily at Selina, but at the unknown source of her hidden pain. Most certainly, he did not love her, nor care for her. But he would protect her, as she was his wife and would one day, bear his children. And as her husband, it was his duty to learn her past.

Selina's face was pale, her lips standing out against the chalklike appearance of her face. What could she tell him? At this point, she knew she couldn't lie. But would he look at her like a piece of trash, a poor child? There was only one thing she could do. She closed her eyes and drew in a shaky breath. "My father beat me," she stated simply.

Silence. Selina looked down in shame, her eyes still closed, unwilling to see the look Kaiba had on his face. Had she opened her eyes, she would have seen a look of surprise. Quickly, he covered it and proceeded to sit beside her. Now he understood the look she had given him earlier that morning. A look of fear. And now, he knew the source.

"Whether you believe it or not, I would never hit you," Kaiba mumbled, watching Selina closely. She didn't open her eyes or even move; just sat there, her head hung in shame and embarrassment.

Kaiba felt a tiny pang in his icy heart as he recalled the day he met her; when Mokuba had his tonsils removed and she made a visit to the hospital, claiming to have fallen down stairs. Slowly, he brushed the hair from her left eye and squinted, seeing a small tint of pink where she once had stitches; a reminder of the day they met, and now, the reason for it.

"Selina, look at me," he commanded softly, as if he were dealing with Mokuba. He waited, but she made no move to look up. He sighed quietly, scooting closer to her. "You are a Kaiba now, and as a Kaiba, you hold no shame," he whispered, lifting her chin to glance into her now open sapphire jade eyes.

Selina tried to avert her gaze, but it was impossible with his piercing navy eyes gazing into hers. Unable to hold back tears of shame and pain, they began to fall slowly from her long lashes.

Slowly and softly, Kaiba brushed the tears from her face, his eyes seeming to smile at her. For just a brief moment in time, the world stood still and all time seemed to freeze as the two stared at each other; one with eyes of shame and another with pity. Kaiba leaned forward, unsure of where his actions were leading him.

"Mr. Kaiba," Ichigo acknowledged, walking into the office, startling the two. Kaiba broke away from Selina, his business demeanor once again in place. Selina sighed and watched Kaiba stand and head for the door, a quick motion for her to follow him.

"Let's go home," he mumbled, grabbing the briefcase Ichigo handed him. He glided down the same hallway Duke had gone down earlier, Selina close behind; Ichigo bringing up the rear.

No shame, Selina thought wryly to herself, thoughts of scars on her body popping up in her mind. Physical scars may eventually heal, leaving barely any remnant behind; but emotional ones need more than band-aides…you and I both know that Kaiba.

Quickly, she followed Kaiba to his limo and got in, ready to go home and sleep, washing away the memories of the day by dreams.

~*~*~*~

Kaiba slowly shut his laptop, and rubbed his temples. This proposition was giving him a headache and being so near to Selina while trying to concentrate wasn't working very well for him. There was something about her that tried to eat away at the steel cage he'd placed himself into; and at times in the past day, it succeeded. Not again, he thought coolly to himself, glancing over to her silent figure. "Selina," he mumbled, waiting for her response.

Selina blinked her eyes and turned to face Kaiba, confused as to why he called for her. "Yes?" she asked softly, watching him turn on the light so he could see her face.

Kaiba smirked, placing his laptop aside. "Mokuba's birthday is in a few days," he stated simply.

"Oh…are we doing something special for him?" she asked, smiling as she pictured the young teen with vibrant violet eyes and flowing black hair. Not many boys could get away with the long hair appeal, but Mokuba was an exception to the rule. She was certain many girls swooned over him, after all, he wasn't a bad looking young teen.

"I always take off work for his birthday and he decides what to do."

"When is it exactly?"

"Ten days," he said coolly, leaning back in his seat.

"What should I get him?" What do you get a boy who has everything money can buy? Selina sighed, what was she going to get Kaiba when his birthday came. She didn't even want to think about Christmas, which was only three months away.

"Ichigo will take care of that; he'll get something from the both of us."

"But…"

"I have a company to run, Mokuba understands. He doesn't care about presents because he's happy that I take the day off to spend with him," Kaiba clarified, glad the limo had stopped.

Selina nodded slightly, feeling a gust of cool air brush over her shoulders. She smiled, and took the hand being held out to her. Never was she so happy to get out of the luxurious vehicle than she was at that moment.

"Ichigo, see to it that no one bothers me while I'm in my office. Goodnight Selina," Kaiba nodded, striding into the mansion and disappearing into its second floor corridors.

"Goodnight," Selina muttered, walking up the stairs to enter the mansion.

"Roland had one of the maids hang up your garments," Ichigo smiled, opening the door for her.

"Thank you." Selina half-heartedly smiled as she walked up to her room. It was going to be a long night.

~*~*~*~

Selina sighed as she rubbed her eyes, a slight yawn escaping her lips. She'd been working on the graphics for Kaiba's video game nonstop since she woke up at seven that morning and now it was one in the afternoon.

She was staring blankly at the computer screen, a slight frown on her lips. There was a flaw, a tiny error, in the graphic of the male teen the person could play as. "No, no, no!" she cried out, "This color is all wrong!" She glared at the screen, going over in her head why it wasn't coming out properly, until the phone rang.

Growling, she turned to answer the phone. "Hello?" she asked, aggravated.

"Selina?" the other line asked cheerily.

"Tea!" Selina cried out happily, turning away from the computer screen and her previous anger. "How was your date with Yugi the other night?"

"That's what I wanted to tell you about."

"Don't tell me you two split!" Selina cried out, her eyes widening.

"Oh no, actually, Yugi asked me to marry him and I said yes."

Selina's face went blank as a slight gasp escaped her lips and slowly, a smile crept on her face. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Selina, we aren't going to have a very large wedding because we want to marry soon. But, I wanted to ask you if you would be a part of it."

Selina's smile slowly left her face as cold remembrance of her "wedding day" reappeared in her mind. The signing of the marriage contract and the marriage certificate. The prospect of being in her friend's wedding did make her smile, but it also caused her pain at the wedding she didn't have.

"Selina?" Tea asked softly, afraid her friend had left the phone.

"I'd love to Tea," Selina replied, smiling slightly. I won't let my wedding day rain on Tea's.

"Then I'll call you in a couple weeks."

"Great," Selina smiled, placing the phone back in its cradle. Sighing, she closed her eyes, ready for a short nap.

As quickly as her eyes closed, they snapped open. "Mokuba!" she cried out, jumping up from her seat. "It's his birthday tomorrow and I haven't gotten him anything!"

~*~*~*~

"Morning Kiddo," Kaiba smiled, opening up the door to his little brother's room and leaning against the frame.

"Seto, it's five in the morning," Mokuba whined, pulling the covers over his head.

"Actually, it's eight. And it's your birthday. I thought you wanted to do something today; but if you don't, I can go to work," Kaiba smirked, glancing at the clock hanging on the wall.

"Oh yeah!" Mokuba yelled out, jumping from his bed. "Can we go to the arcade Seto?"

"Wherever you want Moki, as long as you're ready by eight-thirty."

"Is Selina going with us?"

"Of course. Meet us in the front foyer," Kaiba smiled, turning from the now fourteen year old and heading down the corridor to Selina's room.

Smirking, he opened the door and looked on with slight confusion at his wife asleep at her desk. "Selina?" he asked, gently shaking her.

"Hmm?" she mumbled, squinting her eyes.

Kaiba chuckled, seating himself on her desk. "Did you sleep here all night?" he asked curiously.

"Actually," Selina yawned, "I woke up at three and couldn't sleep so I tried working on the graphics, but I guess I fell asleep."

"Well, we're leaving in about twenty-five minutes," Kaiba smirked.

"For where?"

"The arcade," Kaiba grinned, leaving a confused Selina in her room to ready herself; obviously still halfway asleep.

~*~*~*~

"Selina!" Mokuba grinned, waiting for her to join him on the couch.

"Happy birthday Squirt," she smirked, watching Mokuba's twisted expression at her nickname. "Where's your brother?"

"Mrs. Kaiba," an elder man whom Selina had never seen before spoke, bowing slightly.

"Yes?" she asked quietly, confusion etched across her features.

"Master Kaiba is waiting for you and Young Master outside on the drive."

"Thank you," Selina smiled, standing, a slight growl emerging from her throat. "Mokuba," she glared, causing the young teen to cease his snickers.

"Come on!" he yelled, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the door.

Selina abruptly halted, her eyes growing wide in surprise. "Your brother is driving us?"

"And no bodyguards today. It's a rule," Mokuba smiled, hopping in the backseat of the silver mustang convertible.

"Oh?" Selina asked, seating herself beside Kaiba in the passenger seat.

"Yep. On our birthdays, Seto gives our bodyguards the day off and he takes off work. And he drives his car to wherever we want to go. It's my favorite time of the year; well, birthdays and Christmas," he smiled, the wind brushing freely through his black locks.

"We're here," Kaiba announced, pulling the car into a parking space and bringing the top up. "Let's go."

~*~*~*~

Selina growled, slamming her fist down. She'd been at the same game for fifteen minutes, Mokuba and Kaiba watching from behind as she eliminated every opponent and passed through every level. But now, she'd been beat by a short character with red hair and violet eyes commanding a Gemini Elf.

"You can't win them all," Kaiba smirked, leaning against the side of the game.

"I could have if it didn't use that special recharge ability. Stupid game," Selina muttered. "I'd like to meet the creator of this game and give him a piece of my mind."

Mokuba snickered and pointed to the label on the top corner of the screen. "You're married to him."

Selina's face fell and her eyes went blank. "Oh," she said, stunned.

"Well?" Kaiba asked, awaiting her insults.

Selina just growled and turned to Mokuba. "I've got the perfect game for us to play and as of now, no one's on it."

"Wha-" Mokuba began, his voice being cut off from the sudden feel of Selina grabbing his arm and pulling him to the DDR modulators. "But I can't dance!" he protested.

"Neither can I, so it's even."

Kaiba watched the two closely. He smirked a bit at the song Selina had chosen to dance to. "What kind of music is this?"

"It's country; popular in America," Selina smiled, glancing back at Kaiba.

"Be my what?" he asked, trying to pick out the words in the song.

Neither Selina nor Mokuba answered him, too engrossed in the dance moves to break their concentration.

Kaiba lazily closed his eyes, pleased Mokuba was enjoying his time. At least it wasn't him being the fool up there on that machine.

"Come on Seto!" Mokuba smiled, pulling on his brother's arm. "I wanna see how you can do against Selina!"

"What!" Kaiba yelled. "No, I refuse."

"Are you afraid?" Selina challenged, smirking.

"I'm not afraid of anything," Kaiba countered, allowing Mokuba to pull him in front of the command screen.

"Then let's see how you do in a dance competition," Selina grinned innocently, ready to take the Kaiba brothers for a spin. She wasn't the best dancer around, that was true; but she could dance, and well. After all, how else did she meet Tea but in a dance studio; of course, that was before Duke introduced them.

"Fine," Kaiba growled. He'd never played this game before, and would more than likely, have to accept defeat. He could dance slightly, maybe it would be enough to beat the girl to his left. He glanced over at her, her slim frame close to the command screen as she scrolled through the different available songs. Intoxicating.

"3…2…1…Let's dance," the screen yelled out happily, sending the two into a barrage of dance moves, Selina following easily while Kaiba had a bit more difficulty.

"I've never played this before," he admitted, doing his best to keep up with the screen's moves.

"Doesn't look that way to me," Selina answered, spinning with grace and ease.

"Can't dance?" he smirked, picking up his pace.

"Looks like I found my lost ability," she smirked in return, keeping with the change in speed.

A few minutes passed and the speed was beyond Kaiba's recognition. How anyone could stand to play this was beyond him. There was no way he was going to be able to do this much longer.

His legs were unable to keep with the speed and ran into Selina's, causing him to fall on top of her. The music stopped, as the game had just ended, Selina the winner.

She lay there, Kaiba's body pinning her down. One arm was under her head and the other was beneath her back. One leg was partially covered by her right leg and the other leg was beside her left. She couldn't move and it seemed that neither could he.

"Are you alright?" Kaiba whispered, bending his face closer to hers, causing their two bodies to press together.

"I'm fine," Selina answered softly, taking note of where her arms were. One was pressed against his chest and the other around his back. Great position, she muttered inside, a slight blush rising to her cheeks. They'd never been quite this close before.

"Are you okay?" she asked quietly, taking a quick breath.

"You broke my fall," he smirked, glancing over at Mokuba who was currently laughing at the two. "Mokuba."

Mokuba instantly stopped laughing at the tone in his brother's face. "Yes Seto?" he asked innocently, trying not to laugh.

"In my coat is some money. Go play some games." Kaiba tossed his head to the white trench coat hanging on the post behind where he was once standing. "We'll join you as soon as we figure out how to untangle ourselves."

Mokuba snickered and grabbed some bills from the interior pocket of the coat. He ran further into the arcade and was soon out of site from the couple in their current situation.

"Are you going to get off me?" Selina asked quietly. "Or are you comfortable?"

"I'm quite comfortable, thank you," Kaiba answered quietly, pressing their bodies closer together.

What's come over him? Her cheeks grew brighter as she felt his hand tight against her back and her hand against his chest. I wonder if he has time to work out because he certainly…Selina! Get a hold of yourself.

Kaiba glanced across the arcade from the seemingly dark corner of the room they were in, noticing the manager looking at them and then turning away. Of course the manager knew he was Seto Kaiba and therefore, would not kick him out of the arcade for "affectionate displays." After all, Kaiba owned the place and could fire the man in a second.

He turned to look down at the young woman in his arms. Currently, she had closed her eyes; probably trying to subdue the blush across her cheeks. It was true that he could easily move, but it was also true that he enjoyed the warmth of her body close to his. He sighed in comfort, not taking into consideration the effects of his actions as he laid his head against her collarbone.

Selina's eyes flashed open. She swallowed, unsure of what to do. Unable to stop herself, she ran her fingers through his hair, listening to his quiet breathing.

"Selina," he mumbled softly, slightly opening his eyes.

"Hmm?" she asked, her blush still evident on her face, though not as much as before.

"I want to know you," he whispered, softly kissing her neck.

Selina blinked; she was not expecting that. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out.

Kaiba mentally slapped himself, wondering where those words came from. They were true, but he didn't want her to know that just yet. Intoxicating, he thought for the second time that morning. I don't know what it is about you, but you intoxicate me to where I can hardly comprehend what I'm saying.

"As CEO of Kaiba Corp., I host an annual dinner party near the end of November. This year, I will be announcing to everyone our marriage. The media will be there, but so will I. You won't have to answer anything you don't want to," he spoke, rapidly changing the subject.

"So I'm going with you?" she smiled, thankful for the swift change as she placed his words far from her mind.

"Yes, of course."

"Hey, are you two just going to lay there all day or are you going to let other people use this machine?" a young teen with spiky brown hair, baggy black jeans, and a t-shirt that was three sizes too small impatiently asked.

Kaiba growled and freed his arms from Selina's back before standing, motioning for her to remain where she was. "Listen here punk. I can have you thrown out of this place; I own it. Unless you want to feel my wrath, I suggest you go someplace else."

The boy just glared and sauntered off to another place in the arcade.

"That was sweet of you," Selina smirked, sarcasm etched along every word. She gladly took Kaiba's open hand and stood, waiting for him to put on his trench coat.

"Let's find Mokuba," Kaiba mumbled, slowly walking across the arcade with Selina beside him; both still trying to understand Kaiba's words and actions.

~*~*~*~

"Did you have a good time today Moki?" Kaiba asked, pulling into the car garage late that evening.

"Of course Seto!" Mokuba exclaimed cheerily.

Kaiba smiled slightly as he turned the engine off. "Thirty minutes Kiddo; meet us in the green room."

"Okay!" Mokuba grinned, running off to his room.

"Did you enjoy yourself?" Kaiba asked, leading Selina into the mansion.

"Yes, very much," Selina smiled softly.

"And what did you enjoy most?" Kaiba smirked.

"Well, apart from being doused with water by the dolphins at the aquarium, being hit on at the restaurant, and falling flat on my face when we were leaving the amusement park - not to mention almost throwing up by the way you made that tea cup spin - I'd say I enjoyed everything."

"Really?" Kaiba asked, not convinced.

"Yes."

"They don't call them amusement parks for nothing. I'd say that you falling on your face was quite amusing," Kaiba chuckled, seating himself on the large couch in what was apparently the green room.

Selina glared. "Maybe I should have given the man at the pizza place my number."

"Selina," Kaiba began, reaching out for her hand. "We need to talk."

Selina looked at him and opened her mouth to speak but quickly shut it when Mokuba ran into the room.

"I know it's only been ten minutes, but I can't wait twenty more!" he shouted, seating himself in between Selina and Kaiba.

"Alright Kiddo. From both of us," Kaiba forced a smile, handing his younger brother a box that was hidden behind the couch.

Mokuba tore into it and grinned with delight at the newest video gaming system he'd been wanting for a few months. "Thanks Seto! Thanks Selina!"

"You might want to check out the games I had placed in your rooms while we were gone. I think there may just be the one you've really wanted in there," Kaiba smirked.

Mokuba's eyes went wide with excitement. "Really?"

"You'll have to check it out. But, not until you open this," Kaiba said, handing Mokuba a small gift.

He tore into and grinned. "Two weeks work free whenever I want? But I don't work."

"Me Kiddo. I'll take off two weeks whenever you want."

"Really? You mean it?"

Kaiba smiled and received the hug his younger brother gave him. "Of course I mean it."

Selina sat there, quietly twirling her hair, feeling out of place. "Here," she whispered, handing Mokuba a small, yet heavy, box.

Mokuba greedily opened it, taking out a small pocket compass. The pointer was made of rubies and the directions of black pearl. Along the glass plate, there were tiny diamonds and sapphires and emeralds. Mokuba blinked in surprise and turned to look at Selina.

"It was my grandfather's. He brought it over from one of his trips to India. At the time, he was a sailor and refused to take any other form of long distance traveling. On his way home, there was a large storm which destroyed his boat and lost his crew. He was stranded along a strip of land that seemed to run on for miles on end. He was able to find a town, but unfortunately, he'd never heard of it. He said he used this compass to find his way home. As long as it was always pointing north, he knew he'd eventually arrive. It took him two years, but he found his way home and won my grandmother's heart. But if it weren't for this compass, he would have been lost forever."

"I can't-"

"I want you to have it Mokuba. Maybe one day, you'll be lost and need to find your way home. Just follow the compass. It'll always lead you home. Or of course, you can follow your heart," Selina winked teasingly.

Mokuba snickered as he placed it safe in his pocket. "Or I could call Seto and have him send his jet to get me."

"Or you could do that," Selina smirked, watching the young boy rise.

"Thanks Seline. I'm going to set up this system and play my games," he said, hurrying out of the room.

"Don't go anywhere," Kaiba commanded, lightly grabbing Selina's arm to impede her from leaving. "We need to talk."