Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Arrangement ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Arrangement

Chapter Seven

Selina slowly pushed her back into the plush couch, her heartbeat increasing ever so slightly. Kaiba's words were somewhat daunting, even if his tone was impassive. She breathed deeply and closed her eyes, trying to calm her pulsating heart.

"Selina?" Kaiba asked, reaching out to take hold of her hand.

Selina snapped her eyes open and looked at Kaiba, forcing a smile on her face. "So let's talk," she whispered quietly, searching for any hint in Kaiba's cool eyes.

~*~*~*~

Mokuba was scampering down the hallway with his new game system held close. He smiled to himself as he thought of all the wonderful games he could play, especially the new one Kaiba Corp. was manufacturing; the one Selina was supposedly working on with his older brother and Duke Devlin. He was so lost in his happiness, he almost missed the slight ring coming from Selina's room. Unable to control his curiosity, he walked inside and picked up the phone.

"Hello?" Mokuba asked brightly.

"Mokuba? Why are you answering Selina's phone?" the voice on the other line questioned.

"Because Seto's talking to her and she isn't in here."

"Well…this is Duke; I was just checking up on her. How was your birthday?" Duke wondered aloud, genuine curiosity etched in every word.

"It was great! Seto tripped on DDR and landed on top of Seline. He told me to go somewhere else and they didn't join me for at least ten minutes." Mokuba grinned, satisfied at being able to tell the story with no one to stop him.

"Oh?" Duke chuckled softly. "I suppose I won't be able to mention this to either of them."

"Probably not."

"Hmm…I'll have to call her back, unless she comes to the office tomorrow. Happy birthday Mokuba."

"Thanks; bye." Mokuba slowly hung up the phone, pleased with himself. Now if only Seto got phone calls…

~*~*~*~

Kaiba stared back at Selina, thinking over the words he needed to say. It would do him no good to tell her what he needed to if they didn't flow correctly or make sense. He slowly reached out and took her last free hand, bringing her straying eyes back on him.

"I shouldn't have said that…about giving out my number to that guy. I'm sorry," she whispered softly, silently admonishing herself.

"That's not what I need to talk to you about," Kaiba smirked, amazed at how remorseful this woman was. "Selina, I don't know how to say this."

Selina stared at him, not willing to interrupt him, even if he had ceased speaking. She knew he was thinking and for that reason, she would not speak.

"Earlier today, I said something to you. Something that was true, but I don't think I should have said it. I've not known you long and with my schedule, I don't have much time for a 'private' life. But in all honesty, I do…want to know you." Kaiba sighed and released her hands to rub his temples. This was confusing, the emotion he was beginning to feel inside. It had been twelve days since she had arrived at the mansion and each day she grew more and more intoxicating.

Selina gave him a quizzical look. "I don't understand," she admitted. "If you want to know me then we have to take time to spend with each other…all masks removed."

Kaiba smiled slightly and shook his head. With the way her father had treated her, he was surprised how naïve she could truly be. "Selina…what I mean is…I want to know you. I don't want to only know about you…I want to be with you."

"I still don't understand. You are with me. I'm here, with you. We're legally married so technically, you're stuck with me. Just say what you want to say… bluntly."

Kaiba smiled and gently took her hands in his, slowly rubbing his thumbs in a circular motion. "Selina…I want to know you physically," he whispered, noticing her breath quieting. "I don't mean now…I mean, in the future. I know intimacy with a complete stranger would be…uncomfortable. But…I want to know you…in both ways."

Selina closed her eyes, an unsettled fear rising in her heart. She knew eventually, she would have to give herself to him fully, but she didn't expect it to come so quickly. As a younger teen, she always expected she would fall in love and marry and give herself fully to the man she loved. But here she was, nineteen, married to a man she barely knew - whom she cared for but most definitely didn't love - and he was asking her to be intimate.

"I shouldn't have said anything."

"No, it's not that," she whispered, smiling gently up at his face. "You're right…I need to know more about you and you need to know more about me."

"I do want children Selina…you must know that."

"I read the contract."

Kaiba allowed a slight chuckle to escape his throat. "Every word?"

"It said that you wanted children within five years of marriage. I had to know what I was getting myself into."

Kaiba smirked and gently kissed her hand. "And now you know."

Selina nodded, missing the warmth of his hands the moment he released hers.

"I may be all business, cool, calm, collected, and seem like an arrogant jerk, but in a world where people are trying to take over your company left and right, matters of the heart seem to be a weak spot," Kaiba said, rising from his place on the couch and turning to leave the room. "But that's outside the mansion. What happens inside…as you've begun to see…is another story."

"Kaiba," Selina called, rising to follow him.

"If we're going to know each other…then you need to call me Seto. I have some work to attend to. I'll wake you tomorrow at four - you'll be going with me to Kaiba Corp. to show us what you've been working on - so you may want to sleep now. Goodnight," he said softly, not bothering to turn around. Without another word, he walked away, going the opposite direction of their rooms.

Selina watched him disappear into his office and turned towards her room. The conversation was still swimming freely through her mind and the idea of sleeping and clearing her thoughts was inviting. "Goodnight Seto," she whispered, smiling gently.

~*~*~*~

The sound of rustling drapes and the opening of a window could be heard through the stillness and silence. Kaiba glanced out the windows of Selina's room and sighed. Another beautiful day he would miss due to work. But at least he'd be able to enjoy the weather until he entered the Kaiba Corp. building.

He slowly turned from the autumn colored trees and smirked. There lay Selina, curled around a pillow, sleeping peacefully with a few of the sun's early rays shining dimly on her face. Quietly, he walked up to her, somewhat wishing that she was snuggled against him instead of the pillow.

"Selina," he whispered quietly, gently shaking her sleeping form.

"Hmm?" she murmured, slightly opening her eyes.

"Good morning," Kaiba grinned.

"It's morning? But the sun is hardly up," she mumbled, covering her head with a pillow. "How can you be so awake this early?" he heard her ask, her voice muffled.

"Come on, you've got thirty minutes before we have to leave. I have to be in my office at six o'clock sharp. I thought I'd let you sleep an extra forty-five minutes."

"I thought you were joking," Selina grumbled, hitting Kaiba with her pillow.

Kaiba just chuckled and pinned her between his arms. "And miss seeing how you act early in the morning? Not a chance."

Selina pouted, too tired to notice how close their faces were and much too tired to care.

"You may want to get ready, we have to leave in a half hour," Kaiba smirked, kissing her forehead.

Selina's eyes grew wide as she stared at the twenty-two year old man, grinning madly at the blush that was appearing on her cheeks.

"Seto Kaiba!" Selina cried out, her face turning a deeper shade of crimson.

"Is a man not allowed to kiss his wife? I'm agreeing to take things slow, but you looked too much like an angel to resist," he said, his face resembling Mokuba's the night before. He held her shoulders gently and kissed her forehead once more before rising and leaving her room.

Selina sighed and grabbed her robe, pulling it tight around her. She didn't have much time to ready herself, or choose an outfit, but she didn't mind. He had allowed her more time to sleep and she was thankful for that. Her hand gently brushed across her forehead as she thought of his kiss. Sweet and gentle, not at all like the Kaiba everyone thought they knew.

Sighing quietly, she wondered when she would see that Kaiba again. After all, she knew how he was at work, in front of his employees. He was cold-hearted, ruthless, and cruel, never giving a break to anyone. How anyone could be sweet and gentle in the mornings and suddenly become a cruel person and continue the cycle each day without going crazy was beyond her comprehension.

Seto Kaiba: a gentle, calm, relaxed, romantic spirit. Who would have thought? No wonder Joey feels the way he does. But maybe that is a genuine feeling of hate that Seto has…but I feel that I have been less fortunate than Joey. How is it that he doesn't look down on me with those same feelings?

~*~*~*~

"Welcome to my office," Kaiba mumbled, dropping his briefcase on the center of his desk and dropping down to the leather chair. "Ruth," Kaiba growled into the speaker sitting to his right.

"Yes Mr. Kaiba?" his secretary answered back.

"Two cups of coffee," Kaiba commanded shortly, releasing the button and glancing up at Selina who was currently standing quietly near the doors to his office. He gave her a puzzled look, causing her cheeks to flush in embarrassment.

"Sit," he said, pointing to a large midnight black leather couch.

Selina obliged, slowly seating herself on the lavish sofa and staring at the blank television screen in front of her. She blinked when the early morning news flashed on.

"I only have time for this for thirty minutes each morning. But it's not the news I'm interested in. Only the stocks and bonds catch my attention. We'll be looking at your graphics on here so I'll be hooking up your laptop to it," Kaiba said, feeling a need to explain.

Selina smiled as Kaiba took the laptop from his briefcase and placed it on the coffee table in front of the couch.

"Two coffees Mr. Kaiba," Ruth said, slowly entering the office and glancing at the young woman sitting quietly beside her boss.

"Thank you," Selina whispered, smiling gratefully at the woman.

"Ruth, call Devlin and find out if he's going to be on time," Kaiba smirked, grabbing a mug and taking a sip of the soothing caffeine loaded drink.

"Yes Mr. Kaiba."

"So where are these graphics of yours located?" Kaiba asked curiously, opening various documents.

"Umm..." Selina trailed off, staring at the most recent document Kaiba had opened. "Oh no you don't!" she yelled out, snapping the laptop shut.

Kaiba smirked and grabbed her wrist, pulling it away from the computer.

"Kaiba, please," Selina begged, her eyes dropped slightly.

Kaiba frowned. "You're supposed to call me Seto." With that said, he popped the screen back up and smiled at the picture of a young, curly haired girl clutching a teddy bear. She was dressed in a pink dress with white ribbons and flowers adorning her hair. Next to her was a young boy with spiked black locks and bright green eyes. "You look nice," he whispered, a small grin peeking out from his stern lips.

Selina bit her lip and looked down, a small smile on her face. "Thank you…Seto."

~*~*~*~

"Here I am," Duke announced, waltzing into Kaiba's office at ten o'clock sharp. He glanced at Kaiba who was currently seated at his desk, scowling at the computer and muttering under his breath. His gaze then went over to his cousin who was currently working on her laptop, more than likely on the graphics for "Dragon's Revenge." Yet, unlike Kaiba, her gaze was serious with a slight smile gracing her lips.

"And I'm not even recognized," he mumbled, walking over to Selina and pinching her shoulder when she didn't acknowledge him.

"Ouch! What was that for?" she grumbled, looking up from her work and for the first time, noticing her cousin frowning at her. "Duke!" she yelled, hugging him.

"If I get a hug every time I pinch you, maybe I'll do it more often," he teased, returning her hug. "And how is life with Seto Kaiba?" he asked quietly, nodding his head in Kaiba's direction.

"It's fine."

"I'm surprised you made it on time Duke, although fifteen seconds late isn't exactly on time," Kaiba said, standing from his seat and walking over to the two cousins. "Let's get this started. Selina." He sat himself beside her and propped his feet up on the coffee table.

"Right." Selina smiled and plugged in the connector to the television while Kaiba turned it on. "So this is what I've been working on for the game. What do you think?"

"Did I not tell you they'd be perfect?" Duke asked, smiling brightly at his cousin.

"You did say that," Kaiba answered, nodding in approval. "But what of all the duel monsters? You've shown us the five characters the player can choose from and the basic dragons, but that's not everything."

"I know," Selina responded, opening another file on her laptop. "I ran a digital synthesizer on all the graphics from the previous game you produced to make them more life-like and three-dimensional. This file is where all the monsters are stored."

"Nice work," Kaiba congratulated. "One last thing. Where are the god monsters?"

"Those I had a bit of problem with. But, nevertheless, here they are," she answered, opening another file and showing the three gods to the two men."

"Unbelievable," Duke said in awe. "It's as if you captured the very life of these deadly creatures."

"I don't see what the problem is," Kaiba said, slightly confused.

"Well, I had no picture to look at so I had to create the picture from memory," Selina admitted, glancing at Kaiba from the corner of her eye. "I wanted to ask if you knew of any place to get pictures, but you're always so busy and when I had the chance…it wasn't the first thing on my mind."

"Memory?" Kaiba clarified, ignoring every other word she had said. "You've seen them?"

"Haven't we all?"

"Well, they are excellent. It's impossible to know that you weren't looking at something when you created them," Duke said, chuckling gently. "As soon as these are loaded to the chips and programmed - which shouldn't take but a day or two - we'll be able to test the game for any errors. I'm thinking we may be able to release this within two weeks."

"And not too long after, we'll release our newest form of dueling," Kaiba smirked.

"Which would be?" Selina asked curiously.

"A design you introduced to me a couple years ago. A portable, miniature, holographic playing field. Only it will double as both a Dungeon Dice Monsters field and a Duel Monsters field. We've been working on it for a few weeks," Kaiba answered coolly.

"This will announce to the world that Kaiba Corp. is among the cutting edge of technology and covers all interests of the gaming world today," Duke grinned proudly.

~*~*~*~

"If you need anything, I'll be close by."

"Thanks Roland," Selina smiled, walking into a small café and searching for her friends. She grinned when she found the three of them pouring over bridal magazines. "Couldn't wait for me?"

"Selina!" Tea exclaimed, rising from her chair to hug her friend.

"And I thought that being a Kaiba would mean your always early," Mai teased, smiling up at her young friend.

"Yes well, he needed to discuss some things with me, or else I would have been here a few minutes ago."

"What kind of things?" Tea asked, sitting back down and giving Selina a magazine to scroll through.

"Well, he wanted me to know that the graphics I showed him and Duke two days ago were outstanding. And that he was very pleased with the way I designed them and how the programming was simple enough for his 'incompetent employees' to understand," Selina smiled softly.

"Is he nice?" Serenity asked out of curiosity. Having only met the man a few times, and many years earlier, she was unsure of whether he had the same demeanor.

"As he told me," Selina grinned, trying to remember his exact words. "He told me that although he is cruel and arrogant in the public eye, what happens within the mansion is entirely different. And I'm beginning to see that first hand."

Tea smiled across at her still newlywed friend. "Maybe you're just what the doctor ordered for Mr. Seto Kaiba."

"Now this is a beautiful gown Tea," Mai cried out, showing the picture to Tea and breaking away from the conversation about Kaiba.

"Let me see," Selina commanded, tilting the magazine to catch a glimpse. "I don't know, she's marrying Yugi and he's so modest," she commented, pointing to the low back and front of the dress.

"Oh please. He's marrying the woman he loves. You can't honestly tell me that a twenty year old man would give up the chance to see a beautiful girl in a dress like this," Mai said, pointing at the gown.

"Is that how Joey is?" Serenity asked, smiling across the table.

Mai rolled her eyes. "That boy goes wide-eyed every time I wear something new."

Serenity grinned. "That's just how Joey is. I'm still waiting for him to ask you to get married."

"So am I. Tea," Mai started, turning her attention back on the bride-to-be. "What do you think?"

"Well, I like it. I think Yugi would too," she smiled gently, twirling the engagement ring on her finger.

"Well, the boy had better get used to seeing some skin," Mai grinned, causing Tea to once again, flare up in a blush. "And I think this is the perfect nightgown for you to wear on your honeymoon," she continued, turning the pages to the picture of a short white nightgown with a low-cut front and spaghetti straps.

"I do like that," Tea answered. "But will Yugi?"

"Yugi will be speechless," Selina smiled. "I can hardly wait until a little Yugi or little Tea is running around," she sighed.

Mai blinked at the sudden change of conversation. "I think what you really mean is that you can hardly wait until a little Kaiba is running around."

Selina blushed and looked down, that nagging fear in her heart growing. "That too, but it's going to be a while before we have a relationship ready for that."

Tea cast a comforting look to her friend. "Children are definitely going to have to wait a year or two. I've got a few more courses to finish at school and Yugi is reopening his grandfather's gaming shop. He's remodeling it for us as well, since we'll be living there."

"I would love to have a baby," Serenity sighed. "But I don't have a fiancé, much less, a boyfriend."

"Tristan?" Mai asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Tristan and I are only friends and only have been. Besides, he seems to be pretty serious with his girlfriend."

"The one from England?" Selina asked, giggling quietly as a plan came to mind.

"Yes. The only other boy I know is Ryou, but he's moved back to England now. And with that spirit of the ring, I find it hard to trust him; but I don't even think of him that way."

"We'll find you a guy by Tea's wedding. I promise," Selina grinned, patting the young girl's back.

"I really don't need-"

"Don't worry about it. But I have a feeling you two will hit it off. So Tea, when is the date for this wedding?" Selina smiled cheerfully, bringing the subject back on course.

~*~*~*~

"Selina, may I have a word with you?" Kaiba asked, pushing open the door between their rooms.

"What is it Seto?" she asked quietly, turning around to face him.

Whatever he was thinking about fled his mind. There before him stood his wife, her short hair pinned up with curls falling out. She wore a long, strapless pale pink gown. There was white ribbon in her hair and a slight tinge of white swirled into the gown.

"Seto?" she asked quietly, chewing on her lip.

Kaiba collected himself and walked further into her room, trying not to concentrate on her beauty.

"Do I look okay?" she asked unsurely.

"You look fine. What's it for?" he asked curiously.

"Tea and Yugi's wedding," she replied, glancing once more in the mirror and taking the pins out of her hair.

"I didn't know they were engaged," he commented, watching her intently.

"I should have told you. I just, I thought you wouldn't…really care," she admitted, turning to face him. "I'm sorry."

Kaiba sighed inwardly. It was going to take a lot of his own effort to get close to her. "I admit I'm not friends with them, but it would have been nice to know that Gardner is going to be a Motou."

Selina smiled gently, undoing the clasp on her necklace. "I'll remember to tell you when my other friends are engaged."

"I thought you weren't supposed to out dress the bride or bridesmaids," he questioned, ignoring her statement.

"I am a bridesmaid," Selina smiled widely.

"It would be nice to know these things. When is this taking place?" Kaiba asked, seating himself on her bed.

"In twelve days. I just received the gown so I was making sure it fit. Would…" Selina trailed off, unsure if her suggestion would be accepted by her friends. "Would you like to go with me?"

"I'll check my calendar," Kaiba responded, smirking.

"What did you need to talk to me about?" she asked, seating herself beside him on the bed.

"Selina," Kaiba began, turning his body to face her. "Eventually, I want you to move into my room. And I realize that the transition will be strange so I thought perhaps we could do this piece by piece. I'm wondering if you're up to leaving the door between our rooms open."

Selina smiled softly and slowly nodded her head in agreement. "Is there anything else?" she asked quietly.

"No," Kaiba answered, standing to leave. "I expect to see you in the morning, ready to leave early."

Selina nodded again, her eyes watching Kaiba. He didn't move.

"You've been here a month and you still seem so shy around me. Am I doing something wrong?"

Selina stood and walked to where Kaiba was standing. Slowly, she kissed his cheek and whispered, "Even if no one believes me, I'm beginning to see you as perfect."

~*~*~*~

A bloodcurdling scream rang throughout the midnight air in the Kaiba mansion. No lights were turned on, no people ran to see what was going on for all was silent, except for the constant screams of terror and sorrow coming from a room near the end of the right wing.

Kaiba's eyes snapped open as a sound reached his ears. He could hear thrashing and cries coming from the room beside his. Selina! He rose from his bed quickly, not bothering to grab his robe, and ran to her room. "Selina!" he yelled out, halting quickly.

In the moonlight, he could make out her slim form shaking in fear as tiny beads of sweat formed on her brow. Her sheets were strewn all about the bed except for the one to which she clutched tightly. All would seem like a restless sleep except for the consistent screams echoing on the walls.

"No!" she screamed out, tears falling freely from her tightly shut eyes. "Please no!"

Kaiba ran to her side and gently shook her, trying to wake her from the obvious terror she was experiencing. "Selina, shh, it's okay. I'm here," he whispered calmly as she continued to scream out. "It's alright."

"Stay away!" she yelled, pulling back from Kaiba.

He shook her more, hoping and praying she would awaken from the nightmare she was experiencing. "Selina!" he yelled to her.

Selina's eyes snapped open, tears pouring from them. "Seto!" she cried, grabbing him tightly and sobbing onto his bare chest.

"It's alright. Everything is okay, I'm here," he soothed, remembering the times he would wake Mokuba from nightmares and comfort him.

"He took…you gone…" she sobbed in incoherent sentences.

"It's alright," he repeated, rubbing her back gently. "I'm here now."

Fifteen minutes passed and Kaiba listened intently. Her breathing had become normal, indicating that she was asleep. He sighed and laid her down, gently kissing her brow. As he rose to leave, he noticed her hand reach out.

"Please don't leave me," she whispered softly, trying to grab hold of his arm. "Please."

Kaiba sighed and climbed onto her bed, pulling sheets with him. "I'm here," he whispered again, pulling her close and holding her tight. He snuggled against her small frame and closed his eyes, enjoying the warmth of her body. "I'm here."