Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Arrangement ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Arrangement

Chapter Eight

Kaiba yawned tiredly and opened his eyes slowly, finding himself in an unfamiliar setting. He blinked a few times, trying to remember where he was. The sound of soft breathing and a warmth within his arms brought back the memories of the previous night. He smiled gently and glanced across the room at a clock hanging upon the wall. He was already late for work.

Slowly, he moved his arm and paged Roland, hoping he wouldn't awaken the sleeping beauty beside him.

"Yes Selina?" Roland responded.

"Roland, this is Kaiba," he began, "Please contact my business partner, Duke Devlin, and notify him of my tardiness. I shall be at work in a few hours."

"Yes Mr. Kaiba," Roland replied, a grin shining upon his face. So maybe love has blossomed sooner than we had expected.

The sound of stirring brought Kaiba's attention back to the woman beside him. "Did you sleep alright?" he asked gently, hoping he wouldn't startle her.

"Seto?" she asked groggily, rubbing her eyes. "Kaiba!" she yelled, pulling the sheets tight around her. "What are you doing?"

"Selina," he said, scooting closer to her and grabbing her shoulder lightly, yet firmly. "Why were you screaming last night?"

Selina blinked, confusion showing in her eyes. "Screaming?" she asked, memories flooding her mind. Her eyes clouded with fear and without thinking, she tightly grabbed hold of Kaiba.

"What's wrong?" he asked curiously, pulling back slightly to glance into her eyes.

"I…don't we need to go? You're late," she hedged, glancing at the clock. "It's eight o'clock; you were supposed to be in work two hours ago."

"I'll be showing up late today. What's more important to me is what the cause of your screams were."

"I…can't."

"You can and you will," he said coldly, his eyes narrowing greatly as he frowned at her.

~*~*~*~

"What's going on? Where am I?" Selina thought aloud, glancing around at the dark void surrounding her. "Why can't I move?" she asked, trying to rise from the seat she was on, only to find heavy chains holding her down.

"So many questions," a cold voice came from the darkness, causing a chill to run down her spine. "And I wonder whether I should answer them. What do you think Seto Kaiba?" the voice asked, a light instantly shining down on the figure of a young man chained to a wall.

"Oh, that's right, you're…all tied up," the man said with sarcastic pity.

"What's going on? Who are you?" Selina yelled angrily, her eyes focused on her husband who, at the moment, was limp with unconsciousness.

"I'm someone you know very well," the man said coolly, a dim light showing Selina the room she was in.

The walls were cold stones, covered in mold and algae. The chair to which she was chained was an old wooden throne with splinters poking out and termites eating away at it. She glanced around, looking for any sign of the man who held her and her husband captive. From a far dark corner, a figure emerged.

"It can't be you," she whispered fearfully, trying to free her chains.

"Oh but it is my dear," the man said, pulling the cloak from his face and grinning evilly.

Selina screamed. There before her stood her father - in Death's form.

"Now, now dear daughter.I do believe this new look suits me well; especially for the occasion. Which happens to be the death of Seto Kaiba," Darrin said, laughing insanely.

"Let him go!"

"Let me think; no! I will kill Mr. Seto Kaiba and you will submit to my will, unless you wish for the same fate to befall upon the young one," he replied, pointing his boney finger to a young boy, chained not too far from his brother; he too, unconscious.

"Mokuba!"

"Now, what will it be? Will you sit here quietly and watch Mr. Kaiba face destiny - and submit to my will; or will you be the cause of the young one's life too?"

"Please…" she cried out in distress.

"Let's watch Mr. Kaiba meet destiny," Darrin grinned, pulling an axe from the medieval wall.

"No!" Selina screamed, shutting her eyes as she saw her father swing the axe, aimed for Kaiba's chest. "Please no!" she cried, hanging her head as tears fell from her eyes in floods.

"Either you will look upon this site, or I will kill the young one too," Darrin sneered, grabbing her chin with his bloody hand.

Selina swallowed and opened her eyes, hoping to save Mokuba's life. Another scream escaped her lips as she turned away from the bloody site of Kaiba's massacred body. "What do you want from me?" she cried.

"Everything," her father replied, wickedness and malevolence evident in his voice. "Everything," he repeated, the light disappearing as he advanced on his daughter.

"Stay away!" she yelled, feeling hands upon her shoulders.

"Selina!" a voice yelled out to her from the darkness; a voice which was distinct to her ears.

"Seto," she cried out, wrapping her arms around the figure who had once again, grabbed her shoulders. Her eyes opened, washing away the images of the nightmare.

~*~*~*~

Kaiba frowned, slowly wrapping his arms around Selina as she recounted upon her dream.

"It was so real…" she whispered, calming her breathing as she lay her head against his chest.

"I swear to you that the events of your dream will be nothing more than what it is: a nightmare. Your father has left the country and moved very far away; this I know for certain," Kaiba reassured, gently placing a comforting kiss upon her forehead.

Selina tried to smile up at him, but she couldn't find the will power to do so. Instead, she just glanced at him, her eyes still clouded with fear. "You're Seto Kaiba; one of the top five richest people in the world. There are so many people that-"

Kaiba placed his finger upon her lips to silence her. "I have been Seto Kaiba nearly all my life. I have dealt with those who wish to kill me and I have proven victorious," he recollected, pictures of Pegasus and the Big Five appearing in his mind. "You are my wife and as long as I breathe, I swear I will protect you; even to death."

~*~*~*~

It had been a mere two weeks since the nightmare she'd had, which ended up with her sleeping in Kaiba's arms. Feeling him so near to her that morning, but not completely shying away frightened her. And she realized her thoughts about him weren't helping the situation much.

She pulled the zipper on her dress as far as she could and grabbed her bag from her bed. She smiled to herself as she walked to Kaiba's room; thoughts of Yugi and Tea's wedding filling her mind.

"Are you ready?" Selina asked softly, peeking her head through the opening between her and Kaiba's room. A blush found it's way to her face as Kaiba turned around, the buttons on his shirt undone.

He smirked and walked up to her, placing his hands upon her shoulders. "Do I look ready?"

Selina blushed more, forcing her eyes to stay upon his face. "I have to be there soon. After all, I'm in the wedding and we're getting our hair done. And I need to speak with Tea," she reminded softly, watching her husband turn away and grab his black bowtie and coat from his bed.

"And I still can't believe you and Yugi have talked me into this," Kaiba growled, leaving the room and walking down the hallway.

"This is the perfect chance for you to prove yourself to them," she whispered, as he knocked loudly on Mokuba's door.

"We're leaving Kiddo. Wedding starts at six; you'd better be there," he yelled through the closed door, turning to Selina and taking her arm. "Shall we?"

Selina smiled, walking with him to the limo, Roland and Ichigo waiting in the front of the vehicle.

"Me, a groomsman to my adversary," Kaiba mumbled. "It's unbelievable."

"But it's nice," Selina grinned, taking his hand.

"You're going to be the cause of my ruined business image," he grumbled, pulling his hand away, only to wrap it around her waist.

"But perhaps this will cause my friends to finally accept you; maybe Joey will even think of you in a brighter light. But maybe that will only happen if you're nice to him," Selina considered aloud, resting her head on Kaiba's shoulder.

"You just had to mention him. If you weren't so darn beautiful, I may actually be upset," he growled.

"Beautiful…me?"

"Yes, you. I should have told you sooner, but I never could find the right time," Kaiba admitted shamelessly.

"You think I'm beautiful," Selina smiled, her face beaming.

"Just don't tell anyone. I don't want people thinking that Seto Kaiba is going soft…because I'm not," he grumbled quietly.

~*~*~*~

Kaiba watched the four young men from his place in the corner of the room. He was quite comfortable where he was; sitting on the outside looking in. The only reason he agreed to this was to prove to Selina that he was making an effort, and because she wanted him to prove to her friends that he was "worthy," even though there was nothing they could do to change the fact that Kaiba and Selina were married.

"Hey Moneybags," Joey smirked, receiving a scowl from Kaiba. "I'm curious. You're married; what's it like?"

Kaiba continued glaring at Joey, thinking over his response carefully. At this point in his relationship with Selina, how he treated her friends and what he said to them was vital. Cursing the power she was holding over him, he spoke. "I rather enjoy it."

This response caused Joey to burst out into laughter while Tristan and Yugi rolled their eyes. "You enjoy it?" he snickered insanely.

"Come on man, grow up," Tristan complained.

"I really don't think that's what Kaiba meant Joey," Yugi said quietly, glancing over at the twenty-two year old CEO. "I mean, they've only known each other nearly two months."

"Aw, come on man. It's Kaiba," Joey grinned.

"Listen here Wheeler," Kaiba said, rising from his seat and walking towards the young man. "If you speak about my wife in an obstinate way again, you will pay."

Joey backed away from the livid man in front of him. "Whoa, dude…I didn't mean to make you mad," he mumbled, stopping when he felt he was a safe distance away from Kaiba. "Selina's my friend; almost like a sister to me. I just figured-"

"I don't care what you thought," Kaiba interrupted. "Do us all a favor Wheeler and…" Kaiba trailed off as he heard a door creaking open.

"Is everything alright in here? I thought I heard yelling," Selina questioned, sticking her head through the crack.

Kaiba composed himself and cast her a look of annoyance. "Everything is fine."

"Alright. Seto…behave." Selina grinned and closed the door, leaving Kaiba in the room with people he nearly hated; one he most definitely did.

"Seto…behave," Joey and Tristan mimicked, doing their best girl impressions.

"Back off monkeys," Kaiba growled, walking over to Yugi, the only other sane person in the room, whom had currently given up on his friends.

"Kaiba, can I ask you something?" Yugi asked, hearing the man's footsteps as he walked up to him.

"What?" Kaiba sighed, rubbing his temples.

"How do you find time to have a developing relationship with a woman you barely know when you work nearly all day, every day? I mean, with your schedule, how is it that she's close enough to you to call you by a personal name?"

"What you're asking is how I handle being married and managing a company," Kaiba clarified, pulling a chair up beside Yugi.

"Yeah, basically," Yugi smiled.

"It depends on what comes first; your wife or your company," Kaiba replied, shrugging his shoulders.

"Which is first for you?" Yugi asked curiously.

"In all honestly Yugi, sometimes is Selina and others, it's Kaiba Corp."

"Doesn't that bother her?"

"She knew what she was getting herself into before she signed the marriage contract. I manage one of the largest companies in the world. And although I know she feels…frustrated at times because she desperately wants to spend time with me so our marriage won't feel so awkward, I know she understands," Kaiba answered truthfully, feeling as if he were explaining a math problem to Mokuba. "May I inquire a question of you?"

"Shoot," Yugi replied, keeping an eye on Tristan and Joey who were currently fumbling with their bowties.

"How do you know when you're in love?"

Both Tristan and Joey dropped their ties when they heard Kaiba say "love" and turned to look at him. It was Yugi who stopped them from speaking.

"Can you two go check on the girls. I'm not allowed to see Tea until she walks down the aisle and Kaiba has to explain the tactics of good business since I'm reopening my grandfather's shop," Yugi grinned, shooting his two friends a warning glance.

"Sure thing Yugi," Tristan said, grabbing Joey and fleeing the room.

"What exactly do you want to know Kaiba?" Yugi asked, turning his complete attention on the elder gentleman before him.

"I know you heard me Motou. I figured that because you're obviously in love with Tea, you'd be able to answer," Kaiba shrugged again.

"Well," Yugi began, leaning back in his seat and propping his feet up on a nearby table in a very Yami-like fashion.

"Forget I asked," Kaiba mumbled after waiting for a few minutes as Yugi sat there, trying to think of how to explain. "I'll figure it out on my own, like I do everything else."

"Kaiba, no one is going to be able to tell you when you're in love," Yugi sighed, closing his eyes and thinking of Tea. "Tristan kept telling me I was head over heels for Tea, but I knew I couldn't listen to him and make a mistake. Until I was certain of my own feelings, I finally told her. See, you may never grow to love Selina. And if you do-"

"It would take a few years," Kaiba interrupted.

"Yes…because you need to go slow. She's been through a lot, which I'm sure you know about. And although it seems as though she trusts you pretty well, if you do anything that can cause her to doubt…it'll take a while to regain her trust," Yugi said thoughtfully.

"I'm beginning to think Mokuba was wrong. I don't need a wife…or any women in my life; all they do is cause emotions to rise that aren't necessary!" Kaiba grumbled, an unknown anger rising inside of him.

"You can't resent her Kaiba. If my intuitions are correct, you're trying hard to make your relationship work. Just…keep at it. You'll both come around. Even if you never love each other…you'll still have each other. But Kaiba, don't try to love before learning to truly care."

Kaiba quickly rose from his chair, an uncomfortable feeling setting into him at his openness and honesty with his greatest rival. He certainly could tolerate him, and it was true that Yugi was the only person he could speak to from Selina's group of friends that wouldn't judge him, but it was still Yugi. "I need to make a phone call," he mumbled, heading for the door as he pulled out his cell phone.

"Kaiba, may I give you a suggestion?" Yugi asked, pulling the millennium puzzle from his neck and holding it in his hands. He didn't wait for Kaiba to answer before speaking again. "When you find the time and you're completely ready to feed the relationship you have with her…try courting her. Take her places she'd enjoy. She's the kind of girl who would have fun just spending time with you."

Kaiba grunted in response and exited the room, leaving Yugi alone, to a degree.

"Well Yami, this is the day. I'm marrying Tea and starting a new life with her," Yugi whispered, a holographic image of the 5000 year old Pharaoh appearing.

"I wish you luck. Do enjoy your honeymoon. Although, I'm afraid to see what Joey's house is like," Yami smirked.

"I'll pick you up as soon as we get back from the Bahamas," Yugi grinned, a faraway look appearing on his face.

"What is it abiou?" Yami asked in concern as he placed a transparent hand upon Yugi's shoulder.

"It's nothing Yami. I'm just worried for Selina…and Kaiba. I'm afraid they may be going too fast in their relationship to the point where Selina will grow scared or frightened of where she knows the relationship is leading," Yugi sighed softly.

"You cannot choose which road they take with their relationship. All you can do is watch from the side lines and hope for the best. Do not worry abiou, all will be fine. He is arrogant, yes, and self-centered…but maybe marriage is what he needed to rebirth him into the world," Yami smiled. "Congratulations. I'll see you when you return." With a thumbs-up sign, he was gone, leaving Yugi to wonder where his groomsmen had gone. The wedding was going to begin soon.

~*~*~*~

"You ready for this man?" Tristan asked Yugi as the four men headed down a hallway to enter the sanctuary.

Yugi grinned in reply and opened the door, swiftly walking to his place at the center of the stage. Kaiba, Joey, and Tristan in their respective places.

A few scattered whispers were among the multitude of witnesses that had gathered to observe this fine event. Far off in the back of the sanctuary, near the doors the women would be arriving through any moment, stood the few paparazzi who were permitted access by Kaiba himself.

Kaiba shifted his gaze towards the two doors which had recently opened. He narrowed his eyes, willing for the women to walk forward so this event could be finished. I should never have allowed her to convince me into doing this. If only-

Kaiba's thoughts were cut short when a beautiful melody filled the air. A young child with curly blonde locks smiled as she made her way down the aisle, tossing pink and white rose petals along the ground. To Kaiba, it seemed she would take an eternity.

~*~*~*~

"This is it Tea," Selina smiled as they lined up as rehearsed. She watched the scene from the shadows of their position near the double doors, motioning for Serenity to go forward when the time came.

Following Serenity was Mai, and not too long after, Selina. As Tea's maid of honor, she was the last girl to enter the sanctuary before the wedding melody would play. She smiled at her husband who happened to be standing closest to Yugi, though he was not the best man; the only reason he was standing there was because Mai and Serenity refused to be escorted by him as he refused Joey and Tristan the rights to escort her.

The moment she reached her position on the stage, the wedding bells began to ring and a gorgeous young woman with short chestnut hair and sparkling blue eyes set foot into the sanctuary. She wore a thin veil that slightly covered the blush appearing upon her light face. Her pure white gown was the one the girls had seen in the magazine, which as predicted, caused Yugi to have a blush of his own. But despite the slightly pink tinge of both their faces, the joy that was found there was beyond what most people discover in one minute of happiness; it was an eternal bliss.

~*~*~*~

Selina glanced around the large, magnificent grand ballroom where the reception was being held. A smile brightened her face as she took in every little detail. We definitely spared no mistakes when we put the finishing touches up last night.

"Hey Selina," Joey grinned, standing before her with an extra glass of punch in his hands. "Mai said she had to powder her nose or something and since I saw you here sitting by yourself, I was wonderin' if you'd like to dance?"

Selina smiled and stood in acceptance, taking Joey's hand the moment he placed the punch glasses down. She followed his lead, surprised that someone like Joey could dance decently.

"So where's Kaiba?" he asked, his arms casually wrapped around her waist.

"I don't know. He disappeared the moment Yugi and Tea left for their honeymoon. I wonder where he could be," she said thoughtfully, placing her arms lightly around her friend's neck. "I see Yugi trusted you with Yami."

"Yup," Joey grinned as Selina adjusted the chain around his neck.

"So where were they going? I never had the chance to ask Tea."

"Yugi said something about England and some island in America. Said Tea's always been wanting to go to England; I figure they'll spend a day with Bakura, being that Yugi has been able to keep in touch with him after all these years."

"I don't think I met Bakura," Selina smiled gently.

"I think you did. Remember when Duke introduced you to the group?" he asked, continuing when she nodded her head. "Yeah, the white-haired guy with the ring around his neck; that was Bakura."

A light tapping on Joey's shoulder interrupted the two. "I hope you don't mind me cutting in Selina, but I want my man back," Mai said, eyeing Joey.

"Oh but of course. Now, if only I could find my man," she joked, turning from her friends and walking towards the end of the ballroom floor. She would have made it back to her lonely seat, only if someone hadn't grabbed her arm and spun her around.

"Did the dog enjoy his puppy dance?" Kaiba whispered, pulling Selina close to him in a tight, and uncomfortable embrace.

Selina ignored the discomfort and placed her arms around Kaiba's neck, all the while, glaring at him. "Where have you been?" she whispered angrily.

"I had a business call I had to make. If you didn't notice, I took off work today for your friends' wedding," Kaiba growled in return.

"You didn't even tell me where you were going. You just…left me, all alone."

"I wasn't even gone an hour," Kaiba grumbled, watching his wife's face.

"Tea and Yugi left three hours ago! You disappeared as soon as they did! Is this how you are Seto Kaiba?" Selina questioned in irritation as she broke away from his arms and took a few steps back. "Is this how you will be? Are you just going to leave without telling me where you're going!"

"Selina-" Kaiba began, not taking notice that both their voices had risen and people were staring.

"No! I don't want to hear it! You keep telling me that you want to make this relationship work! And for God's sake Kaiba, I'm trying!" Selina shouted, turning angrily from him and storming out of the ballroom.

Kaiba's face brightened in fury and embarrassment as he followed after her. Upon reaching her, her grabbed hold of her arm and spun her around yet again, a look of disapproval on his face. "I didn't say you could leave," he growled.

"I'm not your servant; I'm your wife! I can come and go as I please. Let me set this straight. You don't own me! So stop acting like you do!"

Kaiba twitched, his grip on her wrist tightening. His anger had taken over, yet neither of them seemed to notice the pain he was bringing to her arm. "You will not speak to me that way," he snarled.

"And how do you want me to speak to you, your highness," Selina mocked, a fit of rebellion and rage growing inside of her. "Do you even know anything about me? My entire life, I have been single. Not one guy that asked me out did I say yes to. And then I jumped directly into marriage! For all I'm worth, I have tried making this work. And every time I try, you-"

"Don't go blaming this all on me!" Kaiba yelled, his eyes growing icier by the second. "You think you can change me? Who I am? I have news for you Selina; this is as good as it's going to get!"

The two stood there in silence, Kaiba glaring at the young woman before him while she averted her gaze, her anger in an instant, gone. Neither could take back the words they had said; but with their stubbornness, neither would.

A tear threatened to escape Selina's eye, but she wouldn't allow it. Instead, she swallowed it down and glanced back at Kaiba. With her anger gone, the ache in the wrist he was clutching was now very evident. She gritted her teeth in pain and allowed a soft growl to emit from her throat.

Feeling he now had control, he released her wrist and watched her rub it gently, wincing as she did so. He refused to admit he had bodily hurt her; his pride standing full and tall. He was surprised when she spoke to him again.

"Did you see the way they looked at each other?" she whispered gently, hanging her head. Kaiba felt inclined to ask who, but resisted. "With such tenderness and passion and…love," she continued, struggling with the last word. "My entire life, I always wanted to be rescued by prince charming, but somehow…I never believed he would come. Everything I ever dreamed of…it always involved being loved. But I guess you're right. I guess this is as good as it's going to get."

Quietly, she turned away from him and walked down the hallway, Roland greeting her when she reached him. He cast a questioning look at Kaiba who was slowly approaching before following Selina out of the building.

He held the door open for Selina and Kaiba, who wasn't too far behind. He sighed as he watched Selina crawl as far from her husband as she could possibly get. It didn't escape his notice the bruise that was quickly appearing on her wrist.

"Do we need to get you to the hospital Mrs. Kaiba?" Roland questioned as the limo pulled out of the drive.

"No Roland," Selina whispered tiredly. "I'll be fine…I'll ice it when we get…home."

Kaiba glanced across from him and for the first time, noticed why she had been rubbing her wrist. And he knew it was he who had caused the pain. What have I done?

~*~*~*~

Joey sighed and turned back to Mai, Tristan, and Serenity. "I guess whatever they had goin' is gone," he muttered, taking Mai's hand and leading her back to the ballroom.

"They sounded pretty angry. Do you think they'll be alright Tristan?" Serenity asked softly, following Tristan in the direction her elder brother had just gone.

"They'll be fine Serenity," a voice from the shadows said gently.

Serenity glanced up and smiled at the face before her. "How do you know?"

"Because I know both of them fairly well," Duke grinned, taking her hands and tossing his head at Tristan. Fortunately, he understood and left the two alone.

"But I'm really worried about them; especially Selina."

"See, that's what I like about you Serenity. You always care about others."

"What?" Serenity asked in confusion.

"Now, if I'm not mistaken, Selina told me there was a beautiful girl that I knew whom I would hit it off with. I haven't seen any other beautiful girls here except you?" Duke grinned, leaning his head close to hers.

Serenity blushed, but instantly put a few inches of space between their faces. "You can't kiss me Duke," she insisted softly.

"You don't have to worry about that Serenity," he assured. "I don't kiss on first dates, or second…in fact, I refuse to kiss you until the fifth date. So what do you say Serenity? Would you consider allowing me to make it on the fifth date with you?"

Serenity smiled softly as she allowed Duke's forehead leaned against hers. "Let's make it through date number one first."

"Did you just say yes?" he asked with a hint of surprise.

"I believe I did," she replied, allowing him to pull her close and hold her tightly within his arms.