Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Cheerleader Strikes Back ❯ In Absentia Lucis Tenebrae Vincunt ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Cheerleader Strikes Back
 
I apologize to all who tried the `explain the chapter title' thing last time. I changed the chapter title at the last minute, and forgot about the dedication offer. But here it is again! The entire story will be dedicated to the review who can tell me what the title of this chapter means. Perhaps it is ironic that this is Chapter 13…
 
Chapter 13
 
In Absentia Lucis Tenebrae Vincunt
 
“And now I'm activating Mana's special ability. By discarding a card from my hand, I can destroy one of your monsters! And I'm getting rid of your Reaper! And now, since you only control 1 monster, your Mirror Force Armor card is destroyed! Mana, attack her Dark Magician Girl! Divine Magic attack!” The green-eye girl spun her wand around her fingertips and shot a beam of white light. The brunette Dark Magician Girl screamed in horror at the attack destroyed her. “Now Maha Vailo, attack her Life Points!” The second beam of magic sent Rochelle sprawling back on the floor.
 
-Tea: 5200, Rochelle: 2750-
 
“Now that I've got Mana on my side, you don't stand a chance!” Tea cheered. Rochelle chuckled darkly and climbed to her feet.
“You think this is it?” She hissed. “Little girl, your decent into darkness is far from over.” Rochelle drew her card and sneered. “And the time has come to show you just why the light will always loose to the darkness. I activate `Pandemonium'!” The darkened warehouse shook as beams of light shot out of Rochelle's Duel Disk. Tea sighed in relief as the card image appeared behind Rochelle and the shaking stopped. “And next, I summon `Warrior of Zera' (1600, 1600).” Tea frowned.
“I know that card, he can be used to summon Archlord Zerato. But why would you use a LIGHT monster?” She asked.
“You obviously don't know the tale of Zera, tale.” Rochelle replied. “He was once a great warrior who strived to defeat evil. He discovered how to ascend to heaven and gain power, but his power would not be great enough to vanquish the darkness. In order to become strong enough, he would have to embrace his darkness first, in order to defeat evil as a whole. Tell me Tea, do you know the rest of the story?”
“Yeah, Zera goes to heaven and trains to become strong enough to defeat the darkness, I know the ending.” Tea muttered.
“That's one ending. But I prefer the second ending myself, where Zera gives into his lust for power and turns to darkness. Allow me to show you! I offer warrior of Zera as tribute to summon `Mazera DeVille' (2800, 2300)!” Zera groaned as horns sprouted from his head. Fangs appeared in the corners of his mouth. His eyes glowed red, and Zera got to his feet, his transformation to Mazera taking over. He grew larger, a mouth appeared in his chest. His gloved hands became claws. A tail grew out behind him. Tea gaped in horror. Even Mana looked terrified.
“By god…” Tea whispered.
“And now Mazera, activate your special ability, and discard 3 cards from her hand!” Rochelle crowed. Tea gasped as Mazera dove towards her, slashing at her wrist. Tea gulped and discarded three cards. “Next, I activate `Mystic Plasma Zone'!” A cloud of dark mist spewed from behind Rochelle, covering the two duelists. Whatever small light had been there before was now gone, the only light coming from the spotlights above and their Duel Disk. Rochelle laughed as Tea looked around in apprehension. “Tell me Tea, how does it feel to be alone in the darkness? Do you see it now? The powers of light are nothing before the forces of darkness! Mazera, attack!” Mazera roared and blasted a powerful beam of red energy across the field. The beam struck Mana in the chest. With a scream of pain, Mana fell to the ground and lay still.
“Mana!” Tea cried. Mana struggled to her feet and looked up at Tea. A single tear fell from her eye as the holograms shattered like glass.
 
-Tea: 4700, Rochelle: 2750-
 
“Don't worry about her, worry about you.” Rochelle sneered. “You're all alone here Tea, alone in the darkness that is the world. The darkness cannot be stopped by anything, especially not light. You'll understand when my creatures of darkness defeat you. So make your move and be quick about it.” Tea drew her card and gulped.
“I'll set a monster in defense mode, and switch Maha Vailo to defense mode.” Tea said sadly.
“Ah, you're breaking my heart Tea. I activate `Twin Swords of Flashing Light-Twice'. With this card, my monster can attack twice in a single turn. He does lose 500 ATK points, but thanks to the darkness of Mystic Plasma Zone, he's perfectly fine without the boost. Mazera DeVille, attack her monsters!” Mazera (2800, 1900) roared and fired two more beams of shining red light. Maha Vailo and `Absorbing Kid from the Sky' (1300, 1000) exploded. “This is it Tea, you're as good as done. So make your final move.” Tea nodded and drew.
“I'll set this monster in defense to end my turn.” She said quietly.
“You end your turn, and I'll end this duel. I summon `Petin the Dark Clown' (500. 1200). Mazera DeVille, attack her monster and then her!” The fiend laughed cruelly and sliced `Fire Princess' (1300, 1500) into ribbons. Petin jumped forward and slammed its head in Tea's stomach. Tea cried out and fell to her knees.
 
-Tea: 500, Rochelle: 2750-
 
“You fought well Tea, but it's over.” Rochelle laughed. “Just forfeit now so I can take my rightful place as Queen of Games!” Tea trembled as she fell forward onto her hands.
“I don't have time to waste with amateur duelists like you.”
“Let's see if the girl can save herself this time instead of depending on you.”
Kaiba and Dorien's words echoed back in Tea's mind.
“Yugi…I could sure use you here right now.” Tea whispered.
“You see, that's why you lost!” Rochelle snorted. “You rely on your friends for strength, but without them you're nothing. Face it Tea, you take away your friends and you're worthless. Honestly, without them, what's left?” Tea sobbed as tears rolled down her face.
“Even the times I dueled on my own, I had to have help. Mai took pity on me and let me win. If it wasn't for Yugi's Dark Magician, I would have lost my body to Crump. Who am I kidding, I'm no duelist.” Tea swallowed and opened her mouth. “Rochelle…I for…I forfe…”
“Don't, Tea.” A voice called out gently. Tea's eyes popped open as a flash of white light emanated from the concrete below her. “You can't give up Tea. I know you can win this. Get up and keep dueling. Don't listen to her.” Tea climbed to her feet and ignored Rochelle's laughter. She looked to her side and gasped as a cold, tanned hand slid into hers. “You have to do this Tea.”
“I can't.” Tea said sadly. “I'm a cheerleader and a dancer. I'm no duelist. Rochelle's better, there's no point now.”
“Are you listening to yourself anymore?” The voice asked. Tea felt a puff of breath on her neck. She recognized that voice, but who was it… “You always told your friends to never give up, to always keep fighting, no matter how dark the situation. And now it's your turn Tea. You can beat Rochelle and her darkness.”
“How? I'm not strong enough. I can't do this on my own, I have nothing left.” Tea replied. The second hand came from her other side and rested above Tea's heart.
“Do you feel this Tea?” The voice asked. “This is what you have, and it's more then you need. It's excellent to be strong with friends, Tea. But you have to be strong on your own too. Strength comes from many places, and you'll never be truly strong unless you take your strength from those places. Rochelle only takes her strength from darkness and nothing else, and that's what makes her weak. Defeat the darkness and Rochelle has nothing. But you, you have yourself, and your friends to keep you going. You're strong Tea, I know you are. Now get up and prove it. Believe in yourself and the Heart of the Cards, and you'll win. The hands left Tea's body, and the puffs of air on her neck left as well. Tea turned.
“Wait, who are you, what's your name?” She asked as she turned. She saw the voice's source and gasped. Standing behind her was a beautiful Egyptian woman. Golden gauntlets covered her wrists. Three thin gold chains wound around her neck. He blue eyes shimmered in delight at Tea. Medium length brown hair was curled into a bun on top of her head. The woman wore a long, light blue gown of silk that trailed to the floor. She smiled at Tea.
”My name is Teana. As for who I am…I think that's a question best saved for another time.” Another flash of white light blinded Tea as Teana stepped back. Tea closed her eyes tightly.
“What is there, huh? What's left?” Rochelle chuckled. Tea stared in confusion at the floor before her eyes.
“There's no way…was she…was that a dream?” Tea thought.
“Take away your precious friends, and what's there?” Rochelle's voice rang in Tea's ears. Tea narrowed her eyes and climbed to her feet, glaring at Rochelle.
“There's me.” She growled. Rochelle stopped laughing and stared at Tea, amused.
“Oh? You want to keep fighting? I told you, without your friends you're nothing.”
“Wrong again you psychotic little bitch.” Tea snapped. “I'm me. I'm Tea Gardner, I'm the Queen of Games. And right now, I'm going to take you down! This duel is over! I activate `Card of Sanctity', and lets me remove all the cards in my hand from play to draw 2 cards.”
“Giving up your hand for 2 measly little cards? Have you lost it?” Rochelle scoffed.
“No. I believe.” Tea whispered. “This is it, I can pull this off, but I have to do it now. Heart of the Cards…” Tea took a breath, closed her eyes, and drew.
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
“I think I heard Yugi.” Joey yelled. He and Tristan ran down the alley between the warehouses and looked around. “There!” The two ran down to where Yugi was calling out to Tea. He turned and smiled in relief at Joey and Tristan.
“Guys, have you seen Tea anywhere?” Yugi asked.
“Nah, we've been looking for both of ya though.” Joey replied. “What's goin' on, what are you two doing here?”
“Long story, but Tea got kidnapped.” Yugi explained. “She's got to be around her somewhere, we have to find her.” Joey nodded.
“Don't worry Yug, we'll find her. Tea's a tough one, she can take care of herself.” Yugi nodded and bit his lip.
“I know.”