Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The King and Prince of Games ❯ Vertigo ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To start things off I'm not a writer at all, This was just a little idea I had a while back based on the time Yami and Seto Kaiba spent together during Battle City.^_^ What really started this idea were the episodes featuring Lumis and Umbra and how Kaiba made it his business to help Yami no questions asked. This is the revised version.

"speech" 'Thoughts'

Chapter 1 -Vertigo

The events of Battle City certainly have made a turn for the worst, with duels turning all the more life threatening. Thousands of unpleasant thoughts had burned themselves into Yami's mind at this point. Not to mention the situation he was put into: here, walking side by side down the City of Domino with none other than this cold, distant, heartless rival of his. Seto Kaiba. Yet if he were all of those things, then why would he have gone through those lengths to save his dear little brother, Mokuba?

"...Mokuba and those cronies of yours."

Yami just happened to catch the end of Kaiba's statement. There were so many things on his mind, and at this point he had picked up the nasty habit of zoning out, his mind racing with thoughts of the friends who Kaiba would so rudely refer to as 'cronies.'

In an act to recompose himself and hide his embarassment, he shifted a bit and adjusted the navy school jacket that hung around his shoulders,

"Excuse me?" he finally asked calmly, realizing that it had to be something important if it came out of Kaiba's mouth and was directed towards him.

The brunette stopped, and let out something close to an annoyed groan followed by a heavy sigh. "Listen," he snapped, "I have better things to do than repeat myself to you every other sentence!"

Bastard, Yami thought all too quickly. "It was a simple question, Kaiba. Can you expect anybody to pay attention to a person who barks out no more than demands or insults?"

Kaiba's gaze slowly shifted from the boy before him to the graffiti painted wall of the alleyway. It was then that Yami had realized that they had been walking around the streets of Domino for quite a while, Seto Kaiba and himself. 'Why us, why not Jonouchi and I? It would be him and I under any other normal circumstance, two friends and fellow duelists,' he thought to himself. But this was not a normal situation for either of them to be in, at eachother's mercy by words laced together in paranoia. Their friends and family had been missing for exactly one day now, and fate had given them no other choice than to wait it out together. Had it really been fate, or the monstrous mind known as Marik at work to relieve them of their Egyptian god cards? 'If it were up to me,' Yami reflected, 'I would gladly offer my own soul, since the body belonged to Yugi, to the hands of evil itself to save the people who mean the most to me in this world.'

His self-sacrificing thoughts came to an abrubt halt, interrupted by Kaiba's brash voice. "If you are so insulted by my being here," he sneered, "then I suggest you hand over that Egyptian god card, before I insult you with a defeat, and when I'm done you can crawl into that there dumpster with yesterday's trash."

The Pharaoh clenched his fists. "Kaiba," he started, worn impatient by their petty joust of words, "this isn't what we should be worrying about. What we need to do is stop wasting time, find the man known as Marik, and retrieve our friends and family." He paused, thinking for a moment. "The smart thing to do would be to find some clues left behind from his mind slaves and figure out his whereabouts. Don't you see he just wants to toy with us now, lure us, and take the Egyptian god cards for himself?"

Kaiba scoffed. "And you expect my help with all of this?" he finally retorted, shaking his head, the dark brown strands of his hair swaying into the graceful manner of the gesture. Elegant; plain and simple his every move.

Yami let his mind wander. 'Does he put thought into something that common for its turn out to seem so perplexing? No,' he concluded, 'its something natural the way one carries himself. Pride would have a say so in the way one acts, I should know.' Suddenly, he felt a wave of anger ride onto him as he realized that he was no longer distracted by thoughts of his friends or of Mokuba, but rather Kaiba. He scolded himself for even forgetting them, then sighed. Being angry at himself surely wasn't helping anyone, and it would never be enough to bring back his friends or calm his anger or frustration, but most of all ... his loneliness. Then, as if Kaiba's words had floated into comprehension at that very moment, he replied, "If we wish to over come his forces, it would be the best strategy to use teamwork."

"Hmph! Teamwork?! Wouldn't it be the same if I had your god card in my deck and rescued my brother without you getting in the way, your power but in my possession?" With that said he slowly steped toward Yami. The smaller boy could here the crackling noises made by his boots on the pavement floor of the alley. 'Does he expect to intimidate me?' Yami thought, he had become a little agitated now due to Kaiba's cockiness.

The crimson-eyed boy stood his ground. 'Does he not know by now that I am the King of Games? If this were to be a mind game induced by the C.E.O. he would soon realize that I knew the rules long before he even made up the game. "Is that what you want, my power? This isn't just about the god cards, is it Kaiba?"

(Seto Kaiba's point of view)

'Power, I have all the power only every sixteen-year-old could possibly want. I am the owner of Kaiba Corp; I practically own Duel Monsters! So why should I have the need for anything he should have? I don't need anything, but I know what I do want and that is Slifer the Sky dragon and to have the opportunity to seize my title as the number one duelist! Which is only being delayed due to the fact that this fool refuses to duel me, which is against the Battle City rules no less! The coward...Kaiba stoped a foot's distance from the crimsoned eyed duelist before him.

"I will overthrow your majesty as the King of Games to reclaim my title, which was by default, and is shamelessly worn by a coward. I will not remain as a Prince of Games, so to speak, but as a ruler who would not fear a challenge, nor need the support of a group of worshipping brainless dolts you call friends." Yami took a stab to the chest at what he had just called his beloved friends, yet the fact that Kaiba referred to him as a coward made him royally pissed.

His head ached with the ever-growing mixture of anger and frustration, again. Kaiba's expression changed as he studied his rival, he did notice that Yami had been distracted far more now than previously, this worried him to say the most. He sighed, this guy is nothing if not a puzzle scattered it seemed, as much as he hated it Kaiba decided to pick up a piece.

"Ok what the hell is wrong with you?" He didn't know what compelled him to ask that question he didn't care about the well being of any rival of his. His answer had better be at least something that wasn't a complete waste of time and preferably something that relates to a plan that could help his little brother. Was time running out?

( Yami's point of view)

A zillion thoughts, ideas, and questions were running through his mind at a zillion miles per hour, images of his friends fragments of old memories at Duelist Kingdom and Battle City. Jonouchi, Yugi, Honda, Bakura, Otogi, Anzu, Mai, Shizuka, and Kaiba. KAIBA, KAIBA!!! Why? Over and over memories flooding everywhere from every corner of his conscious and subconscious mind. Memories of Kaiba from just months ago during Duelist Kingdom. Then Yami found himself recalling the brunette's atire for some strange reason and the changes it had undergone. 'He had worn something different back then it was simple', Yami noted. 'A long sleeved navy trench coat very much alike to the colour of the male school uniform, and a dark green button up shirt and matching slacks. The outfit fitted him perfectly from top to bottom.' Yami opened his eyes and saw the most confusing look on Kaiba's features. Then he lowered his gaze and actually notice, noticed Kaiba's outfit, the new more extravagant white trench coat. White the colour that was reserved to associate with death. If it meant that, then Kaiba defiantly wore it, and wore well never the less. Most importantly he noticed all the buckles that were placed on his clothing. Eight buckles he counted, two on each of his arms and two on each of his legs. 'How fascinating!' Yami thought, 'what could have possessed Kaiba to change his sense of fashion since duelist kingdom?' Yami smirked, after all imitation was the most sincere form of flattery, and Kaiba was in his own way imitating Yami.

"I SAID, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" Kaiba wasn't too pleased at the fact that Yami had ignored his question the first time it was asked.

The King of Games would never admit that he had been excessively thinking about Kaiba's new wardrobe just now, yet he did decide on a proper answer: one that was to be the unseen truth, that he too had trouble to even admit.

"I was just thinking that perhaps we don't hate each other as much as we claim we do. We have tolerated each other in the past numerous times, and helped one another even, in Duelist Kingdom and the virtual game world in which you were held captive."

This was an unexpected answer , and what a strange answer it was. What was he getting at? Truth was Yami didn't know himself. This bothered the brunette to have been reminded of a time that he had left utterly weak, and there was nothing Kaiba hated more than depending on another person: espcially the crimson eyed boy in front of him. He had after all been captured and held hostiage in his own game world.

(Seto Kaiba's point of view)

Kaiba was confused to say the least, he glanced at those crimson eyes for a second then tore his gaze away. He couldn't bare it, he couldn't understand Yami. This was driving him mad.

"Do you agree or disagree with me?" Yami's voice shattered Kaiba's thoughts, intense and deep as it was, it was never the less calm. His voice seemed characteristic of a person with high authority, a Pharaoh perhaps much like that Ishizu woman had mentioned, before Battle City had begun. He knew Yami believed all that Egyptian nonsense, much like he believed in his cards, especially the Dark Magician. It was the same devotion and love that Kaiba had towards his Blues-Eyes White Dragon. The Dark Magician and Yami are to Kaiba's astonishment like two best friends that are similar in many ways down to the way they stood. The comparison was uncanny to the said magician and Yami, yet he didn't think that that was Yami's true monster, he needed something with more power a certain crimsoned eyed mage. 'The Magician of Black Chaos, that's Yami, it was still his favourite card but in a different form. Like the mage, Yami wore tight black leather from top to bottom and an assortment of jewelry and buckles, but most importantly they possessed the same piercing crimson eyes. Above all Yami was very attractive, and it's now that I realize this?', Kaiba admited to no one but himself.

'I shouldn't fear this, and I should never fear him. I steped closer this time closing off this distance between the two of us, as Yami leaned fully against the wall. Instead of the usual smug, look he gave the impression that he, like I didn't know what exactly there was between the two of us. Do I agree or disagree?' Kaiba reached out and placed his right hand on Yami's back and gently pulled his form toward his own, and away from that filthy wall. 'I wanted him, I wanted to only think about him and everything he could give me. I want to possess him, and forget if only for now, the torment of having my little brother taken away from me. Just give me what I want! I held his body against mine and with my left hand behind his neck I urged him to stand on his toes. He must want this also, as he digs his fingers into the fabric of my coat for support and leverage. Nothing was said, as he was the first to reach me and touch his lips to mine. A nice sweet kiss between lovers it would have seemed to any bystander (thankfully this was an alley and no one would see), but lovers we were not. We were two miserable creatures, seeking comfort by whichever means possible.' The brunette bit down on his lip, 'I wanted more than just this, my body ached for his.' Yami groaned as Kaiba's hot tongue charged in to meet his. The heat and passion of the kiss lasted several minutes, Kaiba was the first to pull away only to brush his lips against Yami's ear. Yami literally shivered due to Kaiba's rich voice, which was detailed with want.

"Let's find a Hotel," he whispered.

Yami internally smiled unable to display anything other than lust and desire upon his features. So this would mean Kaiba agreed with him right?

In Kaiba's mind they were still hated rivals.

A.N ( whoa it's a good thing I came back to this chapter and actually read it, Jesus Christ I made alot of mistakes I can't believe in a part I just jumped into first person mode. I tied up a few loose ends also, and changed the title; honestly I just hated the other and just put that till I thought of something more fitting.)

Hmm well I guess that's ok for now as far as where the plot was heading and so on. God, I've spent hours just sitting here trying to write something that was at least a bit enjoyable to read since we're running dry on Yami/Seto fanfiction. I mean really its very hard since once you come across a Yami/Yugi fic the automatic other pairings of the fic are Jonouchi/Seto (I really hate that pairing since Yami and Seto just belong together, I'm so annoying when it comes to them, sorry!) it's too obvious that "Joey" likes Mai, heh oh well people like what they like. And when the Yami's and Hikari's are together that leaves only Jonouchi for Seto to turn to *sigh* well as far as the fanfiction world is concerned. Anyways I'm not sure if I'm going to have Yugi actually play a part in this fic since it's supposed to be based on Yami and Kaiba and their conflicts and thoughts of one another during these stressful times of Battle City. As I mentioned before (in the story) Yami and Yugi still share the same body, but I guessed Yugi is blocked off, that must get really REALLY annoying to have someone always there reading one's most personal thoughts and talking in one's head that's a lot of crap!

Respond if you like or don't like it doesn't matter I don't think you can hurt my feelings.

b.tw there's more to come.

meep!