Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ Of Hikari and Yami ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter one -

The golden ring bounced around the neck of the silver haired youth as he ran. He usually walked home slowly , often humming a favorite song in his head , as he went. When he was fortunate enough to enjoy his Yami's absence , he walked even slower.

But the Egyptian spirit simply faded out of sight that morning , sneering something about unfinished buisness. All the boy could gather from that cryptic remark, was that he must be meeting Malik again.

Curious , he'd tried to question him further but all he got was a smirk and " Sore wa himitsu desu."

He was running because the darkening sky for told the coming of a storm. Eventually the dark blue would become black. Light rain was fine. But he hated storms. They represented a child hood fear. A dark and lonely place.

He took the steps two at a time , slamming the door to his house behind him. He smiled to himself. He felt cheered by the fact he was back in his home. He preferred the quiet of home over the noise of school.

It appeared his Yami had not returned. He was thankful. Being trapped in a house with Yami Bakura during a storm was enough to make him shudder.

His father may return from his trip to Cairo tonight! Maybe he should get dinner ready , and set the table - then he'd be surprised! It would take his mind off the storm at any rate.

He walked into the kitchen. It was a fairly tidy place. Bakura kept it that way. His father would be proud of him if he came home tonight and saw how good he took care of the place.

It was overall a comforting looking place. Light blue walls , and a white tiled floor with a island bar.

He pulled a pot out of the cabinet and filled it up halfway with water. He also got out some ramen noodles.

They used to all eat this together.his father , mother , and little sister. It was usually accompanied by crumpets or scones of some sort. When they lived in Britain. And his mother and sister were still alive.

He smiled sadly , but fondly at the memory. Then almost immediately following , he felt a wave of nasea hit him. He pressed his hand to his throbbing head. Now what was wrong?

He frowned. It had been like this all day. Off and on. Headaches. Weird stomach aches.

He closed his eyes for a moment , and it passed leaving him with an uneasy , anxious feeling. He couldn't get sick. Not if his father came home. He didn't want to burden his father the first moment he walked through the door.

He shrugged it off and walked over to the refrigerator. There were bisquits. No scones or crumpets. It would have to do. He lay them out in a pan and put them to cook too.

He looked off into the living room , which was right across from the kitchen and caught sight of a picture. He'd never given it much thought until after he'd received the ring. Now it served , though he didn't know it at first , as a sign of comfort. He found himself gazing at it more and more lately.

He was a little kid , playing in his sand box. There was a pail and shovel next to him. He'd been maybe four years old then, staring off wistfully into the distance. Content.but lonely.

He was trying to remember what his child self had been looking at , when another head ache attacked him.

" Goodness sake." he walked over to the cabinet , and wrenched it open. He extracted a bottle of pills and swallowed two of them. " I just can't get sick.I can't."

He sat at the bar until the food was done. Then he set the table for him and his father. He served his plate , and sat back down. He waited and watched the door hopefully. He glanced at the clock. It was four. Slowly the hour ticked to five. He finally ate his food cold at six thirty.

"Baka. You wait for him everyday. You still actually believe he'll come? He's probably forgotten all about you."

Bakura jerked his head up , long hair bouncing , totally expecting to see Yami Bakura standing there and smirking.

He'd be pleased to know that I've finally cracked. He thought this with a reproachful grin. Hearing voices , now really. That's a sure sign of insanity.then again if I wasn't so optimistic , I'd have broken down a year ago. Maybe I'm just tired.

He looked down at his half eaten plate of chicken ramen , and felt another sick spell come over him. Maybe food just wasn't what he needed right now. His eyes were burning horribly.

Tired..right.just tired.

He pushed his plate away , and stood. He then headed up the stairs , feeling light headed.

" Need shower.." he mumbled stumbling into the bathroom.

He shed his clothes and stepped into the shower. He pulled the nob and closed his eyes as the warm water ran over his body and through his hair. He left the ring on the counter by his clothes. So he didn't feel his Egyptian counterpart arrive.

* *
        * *

Yami Bakura walked into the kitchen and smirked. His hikari had eaten his evening meal , leaving out a clean ,untouched , set again.

" Only that baka would save a place for someone who is so obviously not coming back." he stated condescendingly.

He remembered the first time he'd witnessed this. He'd spent moments before , watching his young hikari cook.

Flashback -

He'd watched the boy out of mere curiosity. He'd never seen a 'stove.' The boy was stirring the pot ,singing a song to himself. He hummed it so often that Yami Bakura knew it nearly as well as Bakura did.

" The way you're bathed in light , reminds me of that night.God led me down into your rose garden of trust.." his hikari bent over , white bangs hiding his eyes , and setting plates.

He was seriously considering appearing and kicking the boy for his incessant cheerfulness. It's what annoyed him so much about Bakura. It's like the beatings never happened. Like an darker side didn't on occasion seize control of him , and make him do terrible things. He was undeniably unlike any other hikari he'd ever had. What was the kid made of? But he forgot about attacking Bakura when he saw the extra set of dishes he lay out. The Yami was confused. What for?

" Imaginary friend , baka?" he asked appearing in a stool opposite of Bakura.

The boy jumped. There was a startled look in his eye. He recovered with an awkward smile.

" Th-this? Well , see, there's one for me , and one for tousan -"

" Who?" Yami Bakura cut him off.

" My father." Bakura replied , with sincere cheerfulness.

" You have a father?" his Yami asked in a voice of unconcern , though he was genuinely curious.

" Well.he.he's very busy.." the boys voice wavered. His eyes were downcast.

" Obviously." Yami Bakura said , maliciously. " I wondered how you managed so well - you couldn't be an orphaned brat. Obviously your father likes to keep you out of his way. No that I blame him much."

The Yami laughed as his gentler half's hazel eyes widen into a wounded expression.

" T-that's n-not true!" Bakura declared , in a shaky voice. " My father loves me!"

" Does he?" his Yami cocked an eye brow , and looked at him scornfully.

" Yes! He - he -" suddenly the boy clutched the ring around his neck. " He brought me this , after he'd come back from traveling in Egypt. So clearly he was still thinking of me."

Yami Bakura merely chuckled at his hikari's defense , gazing steadily into his eyes.

" He's not coming back." he said cruelly.

The boy's hurt expression was changing into anger , which surprised his Yami. The boy never got angry. It was Yami Bakura who lost his temper , if anyone.

" You're lying!" he shouted.

His tomb robber replica shrugged. " Believe it if you like."

Then he vanished gain.

" He'll come home , and then you'll see!" Bakura yelled at the empty spot defiantly.

He continued to watch his hikari unseen. He wasn't sure why he watched the boy. To protect him? Maybe? He often cursed his lighter half's inability to take care of himself. His utter stupidity. Leaving the door unlocked in the evenings , for a man that wasn't coming home.

He , as a thief , knew first hand what a grand opportunity this was for a thug to waltz right in , steal the valuables , and leave a knife in the boy's back.

Not that he was concerned with the boy's safety. At least that's what he told himself. The boy would deserve no less for being an idiot. But his light counterpart was part of his soul. What if he needed him to exist? Worse , he could end up trapped in the ring again.

Watching Bakura the rest of the hour had been pitifully sad. He constantly checked the clock , sending half hopeful glances at the door. The hours kept slipping by.

Being a spirit , time was neither fast nor slow for Yami Bakura. The only place time was slow for him was in the ring. But it had to be awful for the hikari.

Bakura finally got up from the table. " It's ok , tousan. Another night."

He smiled a small smile , but there was so much sadness hidden behind it that it had to hurt. So innocently forgiving. His Yami was not sure why he felt such a surge of anger but it irritated him to no end.

He reappeared in front of his hikari , and grabbed the scruff of his collar. The boy let out a gasp of fright. " Y-yami.I thought you'd left."

"You little fool." Yami Bakura spat. " You let things go far too easily!"

The boy didn't meet his Yami's eyes. " It's not like you care. Why are you still here?"

" You're right , I don't care." the Yami said coldly . " I thought I'd watch for amusment. Never seen anything so pathetic."

He released his grip , and flung the boy away from him , sending him staggering backwards over the bar stool. He let out a cry of pain as he landed , with his back to the ground.

He ignored the sting of his Yami's words. He always did. He ignored his actions when he could afford it. He'd the drawn the conclusion that maybe...maybe if he treated Yami Bakura with nothing but kindness , he could turn into decent human being - or spirit. Actually when he'd first met his Yami he hoped that he'd finally have a real friend. He wouldn't be alone anymore.

And he didn't want to give up on that hope yet.

He mustered his dignity , and picked himself off the floor , wincing. He gestured at the half full pot of ramen. " Ther's some left , Yami. Aren't you hungry? You could use the clean set."

" Hoping to poison me , boy?" Yami Bakura sneered.

Bakura looked shocked. " I could never!"

" No , a weakling like you probably couldn't." the Yami muttered under his breath. Actually , he was half expecting something. After the verbal abuse , and knocking the boy down , he'd expected him to run from the room , not offer him food.

" Would it be so bad to eat with me?" Bakura asked softly.

Yami Bakura's eyes narrowed making his hikari nervous. Is he actually pleading?

Bakura blinked and looked away. He didn't like the calculating glance his Yami was giving him. I've lost my mind.I'm so lonely , I'll even except his company at the dinner table. Maybe I really am pathetic.

Suddenly Yami Bakura began to laugh. Bakura jerked his his head up and stared at him.

" You dolt! I'm a spirit! I don't eat or drink." he snickered , and the stupid look on the boy's face made him laugh even harder.

With that , the taller boy left the room , still trying to supress laughter.

Bakura stood frozen to the spot.

" Was that....almost a real laugh? Not an evil cackle , but a laugh? Yes....it almost was." he whispered. " Great Scott!"

Nonplussed , he began to clean the kitchen.

Author's comment: Long chapter for me. ^^ But I wanted to give a general idea of their relationship before moving on , and I had to complete the flash back.

Baka: literally means 'fool' You know , a stupid person , as my Japanese friend put it. It's a really great word. You can call someone a fool , jerk , moron , idiot, ect. All in one word and not waste your breath.^^

Sore wa himitsu desu: It's a secret.