Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ A Misplaced Ring and a Virus ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: I already had it typed , so I figured I'd post it early. Why not?^^

Chap 2 -

* End Flash Back*

The cracking sound of lightening and thunder brought Yami Bakura back to the present. He smirked. He'd probably find his hikari shaking under the covers of his bed. The tomb robber however , preferred weather like this.

Speaking of the hikari - what was wrong with this picture? He shook his head slightly at the sight of the usual ramen and bisquits. What was out of place?

Then he saw it with full clarity. The sets of dishes were still there , and the pot was still on the stove.

Bakura always cleaned up everything. It wasn't like the boy to be sloppy at all. Too odd. He headed towards the stair case , an unsettling feeling in the pit of his stomach.

He tried to contact Bakura through their mind link , but couldn't feel him. The boy was not wearing the ring. Careless idiot! He could lose it!

Bakura stepped out of the shower , feeling overheated and shivering oddly. He winced in pain. His side stung where he'd been slashed across the ribs on his way home two days ago.

He carefully dried himself , and began to rebandage the wound. He then clothed himself , even though he was still damp. He wrung out his hair , but had not the energy to dry it. All he wanted to do was get to his room and lie down.

He jumped as another roar of thunder met his ears. I hate this weather.

He turned the sink water on , wanting to cool his burning face. He cupped the water in his hands , and pressed his face into them gingerly. He let the water slide from his fingers , and gripped the sink trembling. Why was the room spinning?

He looked up. As soon as he did , he gave a yelp and tripped backwards , landing by the toilet. He narrowly missed a blow to his head.

Instead of his reflection in the mirror he'd seen his Yami glaring a him. His Yami stepped out from the mirror , still glaring down at the boy.

" Y-Yami kun!"

" Hikari baka." Yami Bakura responded in a fake pleasant voice.

He noted the ring on the cabinet , then grinned down at Bakura. Not a nice grin.

Oh no..

The spirit reached down and grabbed a handfull of the smaller boy's wet hair , yanking him up to eye level.

" What have I told you about wearing the Millenium Ring , aibou?" he asked sweetly.

Bakura winced not so much in pain , but at the way he said 'aibou.'

" N-never t-take it off unl-l-ess I'm going t-t-o k-k-eep an eye on it." Bakura stammered , teeth chattering.

" That's right!" the tomb robber snarled , dropping him on the floor.

He landed on his injured side , letting out a loud cry of pain. His already throbbing head , broke out in extra pinpricks of pain.

Yami Bakura cocked an eyebrow as the teenager curled into a ball.

" Please don't hurt me , Yami." the boy whispered. " Please...not tonight. Onegai."

The Yami watched in surprise as the boy whimpered these words into his knees. His eyes were squeezed shut.

" What's this , boy?" he demanded. " No fighting back , no running away? It's funner when you do."

Something was wrong. Not only had Bakura given up way too easily , but he was sweating and he wasn't breathing right. He hadn't even tried to run away. What was more , he looked like if he did try , he might pass out.

Yami Bakura squatted besides his Hikari , and brushed aside the boy's bangs revealing half open , weary , hazel eyes.

His white hair looked even longer when it was wet.

" You look like a girl , with your ridiculous hair." Yami Bakura scoffed , silver strand still between his fingers.

Bakura watched him warily. His Yami had critisized his hair before , brandishing his knife and threatening to cut it off himself.

At this , Bakra had politely pointed out that his Yami had no room to talk when his hair looked as though it had been attacked by root lifter.

After explaining what root lifter was , he found himself running , narrowly avioding a kick aimed at his stomach. With that painful memory in mind , he decided it best not to comment at all.

Before he had hardly finished thinking this , he threw himself at the toilet and began retching.

Yami Bakura's eyes widened at the sight of the young boy spilling his guts. Impulsively , he grabbed Bakura's white locks , keeping them out of the toilet.

" Scorpions and scarabs , what in the world is happening to you hikari?!" the Yami demanded when Bakura finally stopped. He reached over and flushed the foul smelling contents.

It was the only question he could think of instead of ' Are you ok?'

" I...don't.....know....." his hikari answered weakly. " Virus...epidemic...at school..maybe.."

His teeth began to chatter harder as cold sweat washed over him. Yami Bakura eyed him nervously. He touched the boy's head.

A fever. He's on fire.

In a way he was relieved. A fever was easy enough to treat. He wasn't so sure about this virus.

First , he had to get the kid off the floor. He began to pull the boy up , but Bakura took one step , wobbled , and fell against him.

He looked terrified , as he fell limply against his Yami. Like he might be backhanded or kicked any minute for daring to touch him. " Sorry."

The Eygptian spirit felt an odd wave of guilt. He knew whose fault it was Bakura was so scared. But he shoved it away.

Guilt. What a useless emotion.

" Put your arm around my shoulders , hikari." he instructed patiently.

Bakura couldn't believe his ears. His Yami was helping him?

A strong arm snaked around his waist , supporting him. But he was still very weak. Yami Bakura had only managed to drag him two steps out of the bathroom - gentleness never was his strong point - before Bakura collapsed completely.

" Get up!" the spirit urged.

His hikari looked up at him helplessly. " I can't....I..gomen nasai...can't"

The boy was getting a glazed expression that alramed his Yami. So he bit back whatever comment he was going to make on 'weakness.'

" Don't move , boy." he ordered, bending over.

He scooped the boy into a cradleing position , and carried him. " Your puny- ness actually came in handy this time , hikari. You're easy to lift."

In his shock , Bakura jolted in his arms. Also partially because his Yami's arm had dug into his wounded side. It had to be a cruel joke. Yami Bakura was never this kind. Even now he could be panning on tossing him down the stairs. Why not? It wasn't like he'd never tried it.

Observing his aibou's disturbed reaction , he said irrately , " Relax. I won't drop you."

The white haired youth stayed still , but resigned himself stiffly. He wanted to trust his Yami , but he wasn't sure if he could. And his feverish mind was in no condition for heavy thinking. He had no choice but to just comply and hope for the best.

Why? Doesn't he hate me? What's going on?

Yami Bakura layed his confused hikari onto the already messed up bed. Now. The boy could just rest there , and recover from whatever was happening to him.

" Yami?" a weak voice came from the bed. " Could you pull the trash can by the bed? I'm pretty sure I'll be vomiting allot if it's the virus I think it is."

The spirit felt his aggravation level shoot up. Normally , he'd tell the boy to get it himself. But he was clearly too ill , so that wasn't going to happen.

To cover up his failing patience , and to keep from complying right away he asked sharply , " What virus is that?"

" Well...stomach virus if I'm correct." Bakura's voice was strained. His tired eyes looked hopefully at his Yami.

" And you want me to get the trash thing...so you can...vomit....more....." Yami Bakura snapped like Bakura had planned all of this on purpose to annoy him.

There was a long , uncomfortable pause.

" Please Yami. I don't want to vomit in the bed."

Bakura watched wearily as his darker half stomped across the room and grabbed the trash can muttering what was most likely Egyptian curses. And normally , he would have requested his Yami tone down the profanity. However , Yami Bakura was already irked , while in the mean time Bakura lay on the bed ill and unable to fight back if his less stable half decided to take it the wrong way. No , better wait at least until he was strong enough to run away.

He did catch snatches of English , like " Notorious Master Thief in my era.... hundreds of people terrified...waiting on common , no good , mortal hikari...with intelligence width of a locust...how degrading..."

The boy bit down on his pillow to keep from laughing. He couldn't help being amused. He knew it was killing the egotistical tomb robber to serve a mortal.

But that only brought him back to the same question. Why? Why was he doing any of this?

Onegai : Please

Gomen Nasai: I'm sorry