Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ Stuck With the Hikari ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Tristan's Japanese name is Honda for all who don't know.)

Why was he doing any of this? Normally , if his Yami was upset or vexed in general , he had to run to avoid being beaten. Except his Yami avoided hitting him in the face when he could. Too easy for someone to notice , and it may cause unwanted questions to be asked.

Worse yet , Yugi Mutou might notice , and that would attract Yugi's Yami's attention if the tri colored haired boy expressed his concerns.

Bakura , for his part , liked Yugi. He was always friendly , always smiling. And he loved duel monsters as much as Bakura did. If circumstances were different , he and Yugi would probably have been good friends. But these days , he didn't dare risk getting too close to someone.

No one should get hurt like me. If I have to suffer , I don't want to drag anyone down with me.

Yami Bakura didn't trust Yugi. His hikari had tried to make him at least attempt to be trusting , but he sneered whenever Bakura started talking about sentimental things like 'friendship.' And besides , he hated Yugi's Yami .

All he knew about Yami Yugi was that he was the former pharaoh of Egypt , and he was extremely confident , and a good duelist. Actually , he'd once felt very grateful to him. He'd temporarily set Bakura free , and given him a brief fraction of what had once been a peaceful life for him.

But there was no escaping Yami Bakura. The Ring always found him again.

The spiky haired tomb robber slammed the trash can down beside his hikari's bed and gave him a withering look. This startled the boy out of his troubled thoughts.

The Yami was feeling troubled himself. Something felt out of place , and he couldn't put his finger on what it was. He looked his hikari over , wondering what was missing - then it hit him like lightening. The Ring! He'd forgotten it - completely! He'd been...so wrapped up in...

He spun around and glared daggers at his ill counterpart. That only earned him a concerned look from Bakura.

" What's wrong , Yami?" he asked innocently.

But Yami Bakura had already stomped off without saying a word of explanation. Bakura lay back into the pillows closing his eyes. Maybe the spirit would leave him alone for good now that he was sick. He'd be at peace at last.

He knew better than to let his hopes carry him away though. The only time his Yami had ever tried to leave Bakura , was when he wanted Mokuba Kaiba for a new host. Only because at the moment , Mokuba's soul was not present. With it gone , he'd have the body to himself. He wouldn't have to share.

It would have been different if Mokuba had been whole. Only Bakura had his Yami's soul room ; with another soul present in a soul roomless body , he would not be able to inhabit it.

Bakura was by nature optimistic , but not naïve enough to believe that if Yami Bakura didn't think of him as an irreplaceable vessel , he'd have been killed long ago.

Yugi and the others had been pretty vague about what happened , but Bakura knew his spirit well enough to guess at what had happened. If Honda hadn't have been there , he shuddered to think of what would have become of Mokuba.

He had considered giving the ring away , but who could inflict that evil spirit on another human being? He sighed.

Still , he thought almost smiling. It was nice what he did tonight - holding me up , helping me to my room. Maybe he can still learn to be kind. Isn't this proof? This is so unlike him. To do something for someone for nothing.

The annoyed Yami Bakura in the meantime , was trying to convince himself just the opposite. Stupid boy. Distracting him like that. If it had been any other day , the young hikari would have found himself beaten to a pulp.

But of course he couldn't attack the boy while he was this fragile.

He heard his other half gagging in the next room , and knew that the boy was vomiting again as predicted. He'd have to put up with hikari no baka until he figured something out.

If he let something happen to Bakura , he could end up in the darkness again , confined in that timeless void inside the ring. He loathed the very possibility.

And that's the only reason I'm bothering, he told himself firmly.

Bakura cracked open an eye to see his Yami reenter the room clutching the ring in his hand. He quickly shut his eyes again , feeling apprhensive.

If I'm asleep he may leave me alone , and I can avoid trouble.

He heard a 'clink' as the spirit set the ring on the night stand. Then Yami Bakura vanished once more.

The boy nearly did fall asleep again after that. But the shooting pain in his stomach jarred him back into conciousness , and he started to throw up again. Afterward , he settled back into the covers , sweaty and exhausted.

Meanwhile , Yami Bakura was in his hikari's father's study , haphazardly opening and tossing books onto the floor in disgust when they did not contain what he wanted.

" ARCHAEOLOGY!" he practically screamed. " It's ALL books with ARCHAEOLOGY! This mortal reads about nothing else! I just want a medical book so I can put my stupid ill hikari back to normal , and I can go on with my life!"

Obviously , he was not finding any help from the book shelf. He noted the computer in the corner. Of course. There was another way.

He seated himself in front of it , and clicked on the little icon with the 'E' and the phone started dialing. He'd learned this interesting little trick by watching Bakura. Not even the white haired tomb robber could feign indifference to the technology of this era. It would make taking over the world that much more desirable.

It really was otherworldly. All he had to do was find a 'search engine ', and he was a button push away from having whatever information he wanted at his feet. Sure enough , he'd pulled up an entire page of information on the virus Bakura had.

He nearly had a nervous break down when he read the opening line.

" I might be stuck taking care of the little brat for a WEEK?!"

He gripped his head in both hands. This was not happening. Wake up , wake up , wake up! It's a nightmare! He rubbed his palms against his head trying to feel calm.

It wasn't working.

He glumly accepted his 'sentence' and read about what he had to do. He was sure this was the closest he'd ever come to bawling.

Bakura heard his Yami stomping up the stairs , making what he thought a very unnecessary amount of noise , and cursing angrily.

The young light's eyes and forhead were burning worse than before. His stomach felt strained and sore.

He kept his eyes clenched tightly as his Yami appeared at his bedside , and noisily swiped the lamp and other objects of the night stand with a sweep of his arm , and dumped a number of contents in its place.

" Sit up , Baka!" Yami Bakura ordered. " I know you're awake."

Sighing , Bakura struggled to make his sick body cooperate and get into a sitting position. He made a weak effort to prop some pillows against the head board , but they just slid back down.

The boy gave up , a decided to try hunching over instead.

With an odd expression , the Yami watched his lighter half slouch , head hanging , hollow eyes staring through the sheets. An odd feeling passed through him....pity? Could be. He wasn't used to this feeling.

The boy heard the ruffling sound of pillows being moved. The next thing he felt was strong hands on his shoulders , laying him against the head board.

 

 

 

Authors note: I usually stick to original Japanese names - I'm not a big fan of the dub. But don't worry: any Japanese words or names with be explained so you're not in the dark.

 

Now I have 3 chapters up. ^^If people review and seem to like it I'll keep posting more.