Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ We're Friends....Aren't We? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5-

~continuing memory~

" What's up , Bakura?" Jonouchi asked, the silver haired boy sitting next to Yugi.

" Oh , not allot I'm afraid." Bakura said casually.

" We're glad you came." Yugi said cheerfully. " We don't see much of you."

" Yeah , we thought you'd disappear like last - urk!"

Yami Bakura noted that Yugi had just kicked his friend under the table.

" I mean , let's order!" Jonouchi choked out an uneasy laugh. " Uh...ano.. Anzu! Aww! She's busy with someone else."

" It's all right , Jonouchi." Bakura said kindly. " You guys don't have to pretend."

" What do you mean , Bakura?" Yugi asked innocently.

" We both know what resides inside this Ring I wear around my neck , Yugi." Bakura answered bluntly , glancing at his chest. " And that sometimes I disappear...and don't remember much afterward."

There was an uncomfortable silence. Bakura hardly ever talked about his ring.

" S'okay , man." Jonouchi said breezily. " We know the guy's a lunatic , it's not your fault."

Bakura gave a small smile , but wasn't sure he believed the blonde's sincerity or not.



Nobody came out and said it , but Yami Bakura knew that the 'lunatic' they were referring to was him. He also made a mental note of what the blonde boy looked like. Then grinning to himself in a way that would disturb normal , or maybe just sensitive people , he made another note that if it got too frustrating looking after his hikari this week , he could always hunt down this fool and pound on him instead.

" I'd show you 'lunatic'." the Yami said , leering at memory Jonouchi.

Yugi , sensing Bakura's tenseness changed turned the subject to something else. " What did you make on that test , Bakura?" he piped up.

" I think I did quite good , actually." the boy answered brightly. " What about you guys?"

He wanted his friends to admit and realize he was different - for their own safety. But he was glad just the same that they didn't dwell on the subject.

" Geometry." Jonouchi pulled a face. " Ten out of ten chances says I 'did quite horrible.' "

They all laughed in unison.

" Stop staring at him , Thaia!"

Yami Bakura turned toward s the source of the new voice. Not another fool friend of his hikari's , he hoped. Hadn't he enough to suffer with this bunch?

He saw a black haired , slant eyed , teen. And he looked like he was built up of twenty Bakura's in body size. He also looked like trouble.

I don't like this guys looks. Yami Bakura thought.

The fools and his hikari were still laughing to themselves , never looking up.

" I can look at whoever I want! I'm tired of you treating me like your property , Salazaki!" a girl snapped back at him.

Yami Bakura's eyes rested on her for a moment. She had long , midnight blue hair , and amber eyes, that were presently narrowed at her boyfriend.

" Err! I told you it's Sal!" the punk cried looking mortified.

*snick!* That's much better?

" You were eye balling him!" 'Sal' accused.

" I KNOW him. He goes to my school." the girl sounded disgusted

So she was looking at his hikari? Well , he had to admit it wasn't too surprising. It wouldn't be the first time he caught a girl staring at Bakura - or himself when in possession of Bakura's form.

He really couldn't see why. Was the girly haired , wide eyed vacant look aka the innocent mysterious look to some mortals , that appealing this century?

" Listen , Val ," the girl continued , fixing the thug with a contemptuous look , " I really don't think this is going to work out. You said this wouldn't happen again , and it always does. I'm tired of your possessiveness! So consider us through , and don't call me later trying to apologize!"

She stalked right past the table where Yugi , Jonouchi , and Bakura were chuckling over some comment that he'd made about the teacher.

"Ano, Thai are you all right?" his light's soft , British accented voice carried over to

Yami Bakura's ears.

The girl blushed crimson when she saw who was speaking to her. " Ah......nani?"

Yami Bakura rolled his eyes at the memory girl's moronic behavior.

" Well ," said the boy genuinely concerned , " you look upset is all."

The girl closed her eyes a brief moment , then smiled. " That's very sweet , Bakura , but I'm fine. See you at school ....Yugi , Jonouchi."

They nodded at her in return.

" Heeeeeeeeeeey , she's cute." Jonouchi said slyly , as the girl exited. " You sweet on her?"

Bakura's face flushed. " No! Nothing like that."

" I've only seen her once in school." Yugi said. " Who is she?"

" Her name is Thaiana. We call her Thai for short." Bakura responded , taking a sip of his drink.

" And?" said Jonouchi , grinning , clearly hoping for Bakura to slip and admit that something was going on.

" And we have an art class together." the long haired boy continued , casually. " We both like to sketch , and we've had one or two conversations."

" So do you like her?" Jonouchi asked , ever blunt.

" Uh..." Bakura awkwardly placed one hand behind his head. " We are only casual acquaintances."

He was saved the pain of continuing the conversation , because Anzu arrived and took their order. The brunette made some comment on the restaurant being packed , but Yami Bakura was really not paying attention.

He was more concerned about this 'Val' rogue , who kept glaring daggers at his more innocent half , who was obliviously giving Anzu his order.

The paper cup in the teen's hand was gradually being crushed in his clenching fist.

"Bakura , huh?" the punk growled. " I'll make you pay..."

The thug fingered an object in his pocket that looked suspiciously like a knife.

Anzu went away , and reappeared with the boys' food. The sound of their enthusiastic thanks drew the ancient thief's attention back to his hikari.

The baka finally seemed to realize someone was burning holes through him with their eyes. He gave the older boy a mere questioning look , but a furious glare was all that answered his curious gaze.

Yugi and Jonouchi were both chatting across the table , taking no notice that Bakura was no longer talking or even touching his burger.

Yami Bakura sighed , exasperated. What was wrong with present day youth? Didn't they recognize danger signs?

Looking unsettled , Bakura turned in his seat and started to pick at his food.

~If you think all he wants to do is glower at you , hikari, you're a fool.~

But the condescending thought was matched with worry.

( Continued....)