Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ The Memory Within the Memory ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Matte: wait

Hai: Yes

Arigatou: thank you

Ja ne: see ya.

Yamette: stop

Chap 6 -

After the boys ate , Jonouchi was the first to stand up.

"Well guys , I'm taking off. Got to meet Honda at the arcade."

" Bye Jonouchi." Bakura said politely.

" See you tomorrow." Yugi said , smiling at his best friend.

" I guess I better get going too." Bakura said , as Jonouchi exited the restaurant. " I'm kind of hoping my father comes home."

" Your Dad?" Yugi was curious. A blonde bang fell across his nose as he looked at the taller boy.

" Yes. This is the longest I haven't seen him." Bakura smiled a little sadly ,as he stood up. "He works allot - well bye , Yugi!"

" Matte!" Yugi said.

"What is it?"

" Um maybe it's none of my business...we're friends , right?" Yugi asked , shy about what he was going to say next.

Bakura looked surprised. And pleased. " Of course!"

" Well , I know you're a kind person , always smiling and everything -"

" But?" Bakura countered , feeling nervous. What was Yugi accusing him of?

" You seem very sad behind that smile sometimes." Yugi stated softly. " Are you okay?"

Something vulnerable suddenly showed in the boy's face. Something that scared his Yami.

Bakura looked like he might cry. But then it was quickly replaced by his usual trademark grin. " Hai! I'm okay. If I seem sad sometimes , I suppose it's because I miss my Dad."

" Bakura...are you sure that's all?" Yugi pressed gently , sounding genuinely concerned. " Your Yami's not....hurting ...you is he?"

Now the boy surely seemed to be closing up. He was visibly uncomfortable with the topic of Yami Bakura.

Yami Bakura felt a surge of annoyance. He wanted to tell the little midget to mind his own business. He also felt annoyed that the brat was questioning his hikari - only he was allowed to do that.

" He knows better than to get too rough with me." was the boy's reserved reply. " After all, he needs me. And whatever you and the others may think , I'm not some weakling that can't fight back , I've held him at bay sometimes."

Bakura's cheeks burned red with shame , plus a hint of bitterness , as he said the last part.

And as much as his Yami would hate to admit it , what the hikari was saying was true. It would have been a fight in itself to get into the boy's mind had he been completely healthy , but when Bakura tried to protect someone , he was another person.

He'd proved that , much to his Yami's horror , in the match against the pharaoh when he'd trapped his hikari and his companions souls in their favorite cards. He'd proved he could be a threat.

" I don't think that you're weak, Bakura." Yugi said seriously. " Yami doesn't either. In fact , he said you have allot of potential you haven't tapped into yet."

~ Yugi's Yami really said that?~ Bakura was mildly surprised.

" I wanted you to know that if you ever needed anyone to talk to..."

Bakura was smiling a real smile now. " Arigatou, Yugi kun. I will remember that. Ja ne."

The white haired boy walked away with a content smile playing on his lips, leaving a still worried Yugi behind.

Yami Bakura noted what his light's remark on remembering to talk to Yugi. Was he even now considering it? Suspiciously , he tapped harder into his hikari's thoughts of that memory.

~ Gomen nasai, Yugi. I'm glad you're my real friend , and I wish I could tell you everything.~

The boy stepped outside , and a breeze played with his pale hair. He walked until he reached a deserted alleyway.

~ The truth is...I'd only endanger you and myself. And I don't want to endanger anyone , let alone someone who accepts me.~

His Yami watched , amazed as a tear slid down his hikari's cheek as he tried to smile bravely. Bakura never cried in the street like that before. He always hid what he felt from the rest of the world....then again the alleyway was empty.

Still he could not believe he boy was breaking down here, the kid that was usually so strong and together - in the outside world , anyway.

~No one can save me. ~

The boy pressed his palms to his temples , as though remembering something painful. It came over his Yami so strong , that he didn't have to probe deeper to see it.

The present memory was fading. The one Bakura's saddened state had dragged up was coming into focus.

He was standing on a cliff , near Kaiba Corporation. The water below swirled in a violent current.

He could see the long haired teen standing near the edge , holding the ring in both shaking hands as he drew in a deep breath.

Those chocolate brown eyes wore a frightened , yet determined look. The same expression his face had shown when he'd asked Yugi and his accursed Yami to destroy him.

" Can it be this simple?" memory Bakura whispered.

Well the boy had to be given some credit. Hope had not made him stupid.

The young hikari shut his eyes tightly , ready to let the ring fall into the whirlpool. He was about to open his hands when the ring glowed brightly. One of the tassels came to life on its own and stabbed the offending wrist of the boy that threatened to drop it.

The boy let out a howl of pain , and fell to his knees , but it wasn't getting stabbed that made his do this , even though it bled. It was as if pain were being poured directly into every fiber of his being by the ring itself.

His hands were no longer under his own control. They were gripping the ring by someone else's accord.

The blinding flash of light faded , and Yami Bakura saw a very furious version of himself standing before his terrified hikari. It was so odd watching himself standing there is someone else's memory.

Memory Yami Bakura seized the boy by the neck. "What are you doing?" he hissed.

" Obvious isn't it?" Bakura choked out , shocking his Yami with his boldness. " I'm looking at the ocean."

The memory spirit pulled his lighter half forward by the neck , and buried his fist in the teen's stomach.

" Don't lie to me , boy!"

The boy fell to the ground , coughed , and lay their wincing from the pain.

Yami Bakura watched his memory self pull out a knife. Yes , he remembered this. The baka hikari was trying to get rid of him again.

" You need to be punished , hikari."

The knife glinted in the sun , reflecting Bakura's eyes as they increased to their full limit.

A dark kind of cruel pleasure played behind his Yami's eyes. He plunged the knife into his hikari's left arm.

It was worse pain than anything his Yami usually inflicted on him. He fought not to scream in vain.

"Y-Yamette!! Yami , stop!"

Blood dripped into the grass. Bakura began to sob.

The white haired thief smirked down at him. " Sufficient enough pain for you , little baka? Does it hurt? Yes , I suppose it would. I would not know. It's been a long time since I felt pain. I'll relieve you of it. But in return you will promise never to betray me again...and I know you'll keep your promises hikari. It is part of that noble nonsense that makes you weak."

Bakura continued to cry pitifully. " ...O-oneg-ai ....stop..." he whispered.

" Promise me , hikari." his Yami commanded coldly, his hand still on the knife handle. " Or suffer worse pain when I cut deeper."

" I promise." Bakura stammered.

" You promise what?"

" I promise...I won't b-betray you."

" Good." Satisfied Yami Bakura drew the knife out of Bakura's arm. He grinned at his hikari and lightly licked the knife. Then he disappeared back into the ring.

~That is nothing , little hikari. Just try and break your pact. We thieves don't take kindly to that , you know.~ was his Yami's parting telepathic threat.

A window above the boy's head opened. A boy about Bakura's age stuck his head out , looking very ticked off.

" WHO is making all the commotion out here?!!!" demanded the ticked off CEO.

Startled , he looked up to see Kaiba's narrowed blue eyes scanning the ground. " I'm trying to run a compa - ah!" he stared down and white face of the boy below , who was trying awkwardly to hide his mutilated arm.

His usually cold look was replaced by a very un-Kaiba like expression of ...concern? Recognition?

Bakura held is arm awkwardly. How could he explain this?

( Yes , cruel of me to leave it there , but it was already longer than the last chapter , and hey , it makes good material for chapter 7. ^^)