Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ The Fear of Storms ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chap 8 -

" Here." Yami Bakura thrust a wad of bandage between his hikari's mouth. " Bite down on this. It'll help."

At first Bakura barely bit it , but when the spirit began binding the wound he bit so hard that he figured the bandages would be torn in half.

His Yami winced at his hikari's muffled cries of pain. Yet, it had never bothered him before. And it puzzled him as to why it bothered him now.

~Probably because he looks so pathetic.~

Bakura was finding it hard to hold back his tears. The virus had turned his body to mush , making his resistance level about a negative two. The warm liquid began to roll down his cheeks. The tomb thief only noticed when the last bandage was done.

" What's ailing you now hikari?" he asked with a fake air of unconcern. " Hurt that much? I thought even you were a little bit tougher than that."

Actually he was already plotting the destruction of the punk that did this.

" Gomen, Yami." said the hikari. " I'm tired."

Another crash of thunder hit their ears. The lightening lit the room for a moment.

" So sleep."

" I..."Bakura hesitated.

" What?"

" Well I don't like to sleep in storms." the smaller boy admitted.

" Are you afraid , hikari?" Yami Bakura sneered.

Bakura hesitated again , and gripped his sheets. Yes , he was afraid. But should he come out and say so?

He felt like he wanted to tell his Yami. Even if he never told anyone else. He hadn't quite wanted to give up in being to have a Yami he could trust and confide in.

Of course, it could simply be the link the Ring had forged ever since the first moment Bakura's fingers wrapped around it. They may not have liked each other, but they were bonded. They could feel the other's emotions when they let their guard slip. And they could speak through their mind link.

So it wasn't really much of a trick for Yami Bakura to sense his aibou's worry now.

The boy shifted nervously. The thought of having his Yami reenter his mind was not appealing. It couldn't hurt....

" I never really told anyone this story," Baklura began slowly.

Ah? So the boy had more secrets in him yet.

" For your sake , it better not involve your earlier transgressions." the Yami warned.

" Why do you hate Yami Yugi so much?"

" You started your tale first , hikari." Yami Bakura stated, with a challenging smirk. He crossed his arms and waited.

There was a silence.

~He's going to think I'm so stupid...oh well , here goes.~ Bakura thought , drawing a shaky breath.

" I went on a trip to London with Otousan when I was very young." he continued.

" London?"

" It's a really big city. Okaasan didn't want me to go, but I begged and begged her. I remember we were window shopping. I wanted to find Amane something for her birthday, and I remember I just HAD to pick it out myself, or it wouldn't be special."

Yami Bakura noticed a slight smile tugging at his hikari's wearied face. It wasn't very hard to imagine him as a little boy.

" I remember we came to this big toy shop. I don't even remember the name. The shop moved years ago, you see." Bakura explained. " Shame really, it was a great place. I remember it was the toy trains that caught my eye. I could see them through the window."

" Trains?" Yami Bakura looked puzzled. He looked up, at the ceiling thoughtfully. He cocked his head to the side and appeared to be thinking. He blinked his eyes. " What's a train?"

Bakura nearly fell out of the bed. How the heck was he supposed to explain this?

" Well you've seen the school bus right , Yami?"

" Hai."

" Well , it's kind of like that , but more narrow and maybe not as big , and there are bunch of them joined together , and they travel on a rail road track."

" It sounds stupid. And I never heard of a rail road track. And what does this have to do with your irrational fear of going to sleep in a storm?"

" I haven't gotten there , yet Yami." Bakura replied. " But anyway , there were stuffed animals at least as big as I was , and I was sure Amane would love -"

" A stuffed WHAT?" his Yami demanded with great curiosity , and possibly amusement.

" ...animal..." Bakura said slowly.

" Did they have any human parts?" Yami Bakura asked , gleefully imagining a stuffed version of Yami no Yugi's head.

" Huh?! Yami what are you talking about?" his hikari asked , alarmed at the manic expression on his other's face. " Come to that , do you even know what I'm talking about?"

His Yami glared. " Of course. You wanted to get a stuffed animal. I want to know if they had any stuffed phara - I mean people."

A full minute passed as Bakura stared at his Yami. Then he began to laugh.

A vein went in Yami Bakura's head. " What the hell is so funny , hikari?!"

" You - you think the animals were - ahahaha! - REAL?"

" Well you mummified them, then you stuffed them, right?" Yami Bakura said in a fake nice voice, that suggested he was inches away from giving Bakura a severe pounding.

His hikari only laughed harder than ever. Suddenly Bakura's laughs were interrupted by a series of coughs. Coughs that shook his whole body. He also noticed that the laughing looked painful.

The Egyptian forgot that he was annoyed, and grabbed the glass of water off the table and shoved it at his hikari. " Here! That's what you get for being an idiot."

Bakura drank, until the coughing subsided. The laughter was draining from his face. He looked tired.

" Finish up your story , hikari , then I don't want o hear another peep out of you." his Yami ordered glaring.

Bakura wished he hadn't gone into such of fit of laughter. It hurt his stomach every time he laughed, and now his whole body was sore.

" Well, my father didn't want to get anything from the store because it was expensive." he went on in a raspy voice. " But I argued with him. I wanted to stay."

The boy took a shaky breath and continued. " His cell phone rang. Some business call, I suppose. And he walked away to go talk. I don't think he realized I wasn't with him. And I didn't realize he was gone. It began to rain really hard, and eventually storm. That was about the time I realized he wasn't there. And the store was closing."

Sad eyes looked up at his Yami. " I was totally alone in that big city. In a storm. With masses of people pressing against me, all rushing to get home , but I was lost. I was so scared. I called, and called for Otousan , but he didn't come."

Yami Bakura felt himself go numb with anger as he pictured a smaller version of his hikari lost and stumbling through the rain and crying. He was so angry, he forgot to wonder why he cared. He tried to keep his face inscrutinable, but he was clenching his fists in the dark.

A memory of his own came to surface. One of a young boy, like Bakura , wandering aimless through the ruins of a village. He blinked the memory away.

To his surprise his hikari smiled " I guess it was silly. To think that my father could hear me no matter where I was. I used to believe it, you know."

" Did the fool ever find you?" his Yami demanded , sharply.

" Eventually , yes. I think I scared him too."

" Good. I hope he was terrified."

Bakura blinked in surprise. He wasn't sure what to make of that comment.

" So back to my question." his hikari turned serious. " Why do hate Yami Yugi?"

A frightening look came over Yami Bakura's face. His clenched fists began to shake at his side. " It was all his , fault."

The Hikari was disturbed by the tone of his Yami's voice. " Y-Yami?"

" His father is responsible for what happened to my village." hisYami said , bitterly. It was a dump, but it was my home. He had no right..."

Yami Bakura glared at something that Bakura couldn't see , and appeared to be talking more to himself than his hikari. He then began a description of Yami Yugi's father, that would not look at all nice in print. Luckily, Bakura didn't understand Egyptian.

" But if it was his father, then why - ? "

" That's enough for tonight, hikari." The tomb robber said firmly. " Go to sleep."

" But I'm -" Bakura bean hesitantly.

" -afraid of the storm."the yami finished, waspishly. " Not my problem. Sleep anyway!"

He stomped across the room, and sat by the window seal watching the water cut paths down the glass. He was annoyed at himself. Why had he said so much? Sure, he said he'd answer the boy's questions, but he didn't actually mean it.

" Yami? Are you going to stay in the room?" Bakura's strained voice reached his ears.

".....Hai..."

" Ah - Oyasumi, Yami."

"..."

( I know it wasn't the most action packed chapter , but I'm trying not to rush things. I know what I'm doing...I think ....^-^; Well , there had to be some calm before the storm. The next chap should be interesting. I can't wait to write it.)