Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ Is it A Dream or A Memory? ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chap 9 -

The Millenium Spirit eventually nodded off on the window sill. As a tomb robber , he'd gotten used to sleeping in strange spots.

He was sleeping soundly , and deaf to the soft moaning his hikari was making across the room in his own troubled sleep.

Beads of sweat had formed on Bakura's face. He had slipped into the normal blackness of sleep , this he knew - and the fact that he knew this meant that he felt like he was still awake , and just watching it from far away.

He was wandering listlessly through the dark. The only source of light was himself. He looked down at his torso , expecting this perhaps to be some trick of the ring. But then he realized it couldn't be the ring , because it was hanging around his bed post.

He gasped when he got a better look at himself. He was dressed in a white robe , and only one side of him truly seemed to giving off light. He looked apprehensively over his shoulder as though he knew what was coming next. Of course: the angel and demon wings on his back.

" What's going on?" he whispered. " Has Yami Bakura sealed me in the Change of Heart again?"

As he was musing over this , began to fall. Slowly at first , then very fast. " Omp!"

He landed hard , and even though it made his whole body jerk , it didn't hurt. He sprang up , and was back in his own bed. But it was different. Not where he lay sick , and his Yami fast asleep on the window sill. It was a different time.

His room looked cheerier. Some of his drawings were even still on the wall. A half written letter to Amane lay on his bed stand ....why was his deck missing?

The clock told him it was 9:00pm. His gut told him he was not alone in the house. And maybe his gut feeling had awoken him.

He walked past his bedroom door, not noticing that an eye shaped, golden object gleamed at him from his dresser. He felt like it was getting colder the lower he came down the stairs.

He turned down the hall , then his entire body froze with dread.

" No .... no!" he whispered. He wanted to deny it. To will it away.

But the circular object glowing it darkness seemed to just mock him. He found the mere sight of it hateful.

" You're not real. Honda got rid of you." he stammered.

" You mean you haven't missed me, little hikari?" that familiar arrogant voice turned his stomach. " Such a shame. I missed you so...."

His Yami stepped out of the shadows. Bakura stumbled back.

Yami Bakura simply observed his hikari tauntingly. " You seem disappointed. Frightened even. And your fright is sufficient pay back - for now."

Bakura went numb. ~How is this happening? How is he here?~

The boy turned to run , but no sooner had he turned did his Yami appear inches away from him. He back peddled , and let out a scream.

The spirit smirked, and grabbed his terrified other by the wrist , making the energy between them crackle.

Whatever courage Bakura had had was gone. He screamed the name of the first person he could think of that would help him.

" YUGI!" he shouted , as he felt himself being dragged from that dimension.

But before he had finished yelling , he was already in the other dimension. It was a dark place , and he'd seen it before. He just couldn't think of where , because his mind wasn't working at the moment.

His Yami laughed. " Yugi?! That's the best you could think of? His Yami couldn't even keep me in the grave yard!"

With that, he flung the boy backwards. Bakura was sure he'd fall , but glowing chains caught him, ensnaring his arms and legs. White , thick energy seemed to be draining from his body.

" Uh..."his head slumped to his chest.

Yami Bakura pulled his knife out of his pocket.

" What...?" Bakura mumbled, sluggishly.

" Oh this?" his Yami gestured at the chains proudly. " No worries hikari. They are only there to drain you of any energy you thought of using to resist me. You don't always do what's healthy for you.....and helping that accursed pharaoh was the first mistake. There just wasn't enough to time to visit Peguses and punish you. So I'm afraid I had to keep you in the dark."

The last part was sneered at him.

" What did you do?!" Bakura demanded in alarm. He flinched fearfully when his Yami laid the cold steel of his knife against his skin in reply.

" Don't question me." the tomb robber hissed His eyes narrowed. " How many times do I have to tell you I am not answerable to you, hikari baka?"

Yami Bakura turned the cold blade skillfully, and nicked the boy, sending a fine trickle of blood down his neck.

Bakura was used to worse than this though, and his main concern was to keep himself from shaking. He probably didn't want to know what happened to Peguses anyway , by the amused gleam that had risen in his darker half's eyes.

Besides there was a greater question bugging him. " H-How.....how are you here?"

The spirit smirked. " Come now, hikari. You've tried to rid yourself of the millennium ring on several occasions. But I was always able to draw myself back to you. Did you think you'd have different results just because someone else tried?"

" But the first time - how did you get out the grave yard?" Bakura whispered, feeling weaker all the time. The lids of his eyes dropped nearly shut.

" Ah...I wondered if you'd ask. Yes, that could have been tricky - the Reaper of Cards is no push over. However, if I read your memory right, you know from the duel between your little friend and the eliminator that the reaper can be stopped with a simple magic card."

Bakura's eyes widened just slightly to show his surprise. " The Spell Binding Circle? But that card's not in my deck!"

" Wasn't, you mean." Yami Bakura said, looking pleased with himself. He extracted he card from his pocket , and held it up triumphantly for Bakura to see.

".....you stole..!" Bakura gasped, angry and trying not to lose consciousness. His body was going numb and limp.

" I'm a thief, little hikari. It's what I do best." His Yami laughed mockingly.

Bakura strained against his chains. He tried to pull his wrists free, but the chains only seemed to tighten.

" Don't struggle, boy. You'll only hurt yourself."

" We'll see." Bakura said in a low voice, continuing his battle against his bonds.

" You still haven't given up this ridiculous notion of resisting me? It really is quite annoying." Yami Bakura growled. " You played your little game well, but the game has shifted to my favor now. You have lost."

" You think this is a game?!" Bakura demanded. " You think controlling my body, turning my friends into game pieces for your amusement , killing, and taking what doesn't belong to you is a game, Yami?"

" A dangerous game, but a game yes." his other smirked. Then in a gentler , almost reasonable tone - reasonable for Yami Bakura anyway - he continued ," Don't you see, hikari? If I can collect all seven millennium items, think of the power -"

" If you can steal them you mean!" Bakura spat bitterly. " Because they don't belong to you!"

He stopped struggling momentarily. He was weakening. His eyes were shut now.

His Yami's eyes narrowed. " You seem to have a real problem with that concept. You steal to survive. What's so wrong about that?"

" But you're not stealing to survive, and it's wrong." Bakura protested, going limp. " And besides, I don't want power...I don't want to rule the world...."

" So the power doesn't appeal to you." Yami Bakura shrugged indifferently. " But with that power we could have anything we want. Anything! And don't pretend that you don't want anything, lighter half. All humans do. And I could give it to you, with the millennium item's power."

" The millennium items can't help you give me what I want." the boy said softly.

" Want to bet?" his Yami scoffed. " Name it."

"A friend ...." Bakura whispered, opening his eyes for a moment , then he went limp.

Unable to fight it anymore, the boy passed out.

Yami Bakura was very taken by surprise at his hikari's answer.

~ But then again, it's so like him. Weakling.~ he thought condescendingly. ~ But why did he stare right at me?~