Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ An Dark Presence Within Light ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chap 10

~time lapse in dream~

The room came into and out of the teen's focus. He heard the sound of the faucet being turned on. He felt cold, tiled floor beneath him. He was vaguely aware that his upper body was bare, but he felt the aching in his arms and chest.

He felt someone hoist him over the edge of the bath tub. He was jolted into full consciousness by the shock of cold water as he was dunked under. He spluttered and choked trying to come back up, but the person who held him had him in a good grip...he was too weak to put up much of a fight anyway.

He felt a cool cloth being wiped over his arms, but they stung painfully. Then he was jerked back up feeling sick and light headed, and was hastily dried with a towel. A blue pajama shirt was yanked over his head, and his arms roughly forced through sleeves. His skin prickled with pain. His pants had been changed into pajamas also.

Then he remembered the last thing that had happened before he passed out: being bound in those nightmarish chains. His Yami must have given him additional cuts when he lost consciousness. That's what he felt on his arms and chest.

He realized that he was propped against the bath tub, as his vision slowly came into focus on his other's face.

Yami Bakura noticed that his hikari was awake, but didn't comment. He just waited to see how the boy would react. Or if he could react.

Bakura's darker half wore his usual unfathomable expression. Well that hadn't changed about him.

He felt as though he were just on the edge of panicking. He'd hoped he would wake up and find it had been a really bad dream. But Yami Bakura was real, and he was staring right into his eyes. And he knew the look : Try to run away , and I'll make you sorry.

The dark spirit pulled the boy up, but Bakura swayed and fell. Yami Bakura let out a sound of aggravation. " Weakling."

He grabbed the boy under the arms , and dragged him roughly across the hall and into his room. He stopped short of the bed and flung him onto it. Bakura landed hard , but his face hit the pillow , so he wasn't complaining. He just lay there, motionless and trembling, wondering what his Yami was going to do with him next.

Yami Bakura was wondering something among those same lines, as he gazed down pitilessly at the helpless boy. He knew how determined the hikari could be. The child's utter stubbornness always made him so hard to control. However, in his present state he was very fragile. Possessing him through the Millenium Ring right now, before letting him recover presented too much of a risk - his soul might shatter. He'd have to spend some time out of the ring, that was all.

Bakura was already desperately trying to think of a way to escape and warn his friends...well at least he believed Yugi and Jounouchi were his friends....but still, they should all be warned.

His body was hardly working for him. But maybe if he rested awhile, waited until his Yami was asleep or not watching he could do it...

~ Yugi lives too far away, I've sure the Turtle Game shop must be at least a few miles ,and I can't walk that far in this state - Jounouchi then? Jounouchi and Honda's neighborhood is pretty dangerous, though.~ He bit his lip and thought some more. ~ I don't even know where Anzu lives! Er! This is horrid! ...I'd hate it, but I just might have to risk walking to Jounouchi's. I can't call anyone, except maybe to alert them...but then they'd rush over and try to help me even if I begged them not to, and my Yami would hurt them!~

The Yami's voice broke through his thoughts, " I think I am finished with you tonight."

A bubble of hope rose within Bakura.

" But I don't trust you not to run off. I KNOW you. And I know you're thinking about it even now , running to your little friends." Yami Bakura sneered stepping over him. " You always do try to protect everyone else before yourself."

The hope evaporated.

The tomb robber rubbed his chin thoughtfully. " What shall I do with you then, hikari? I don't have any ropes to bind you with...might cut a pathetic mortal like you off of proper circulation anyway....and I can't have you dying on me if I plan to use your body. This a pretty dilemma."

Bakura felt the mattress creak, and knew that his Yami was now sitting on the bed behind him.

" So I think I'll just stay here to make sure you don't slip off." his Yami smiled his sinister smile. " I wouldn't want to lose you, now would I hikari? And we both know how helpless you are on your own."

Bakura wanted to let out a cry of frustration. He'd never get way with him standing right over him.

The teen tried his best to looked beaten and humbled. His Yami was already suspicious enough. He kept his eyes shut.

He felt the bed shift on the other side of him. His eyes went wide. Yami Bakura had just lain down on the opposite side of him. He meant business. Bakura clenched his eyelids tighter together, and held himself to keep from trembling. He didn't like his darker half to be that close.

Yami Bakura watched, amused, enjoying his hikari's discomfort. Well, he'd proved his point, so he was satisfied. He closed his eyes. He went under the covers, enjoying the comfort of a real bed. Escaping the grave yard had been exhausting.

Bakura lay on top the sheets. His eyes felt blood shot, but he forced himself to watch the clock on his dresser across the room. He waited nearly an hour, then slowly, weakly turned his head.

His Yami appeared to be asleep. He hadn't moved at all. But maybe that was how he always slept. Bakura had never seen him sleep. What got to him, was how much more peaceful his Yami looked while he was sleeping...he almost looked normal.

When he'd been separated from Yami Bakura , he had been grateful and relieved. But something deeply troubled him. His soul felt like it had been ripped in half, and he'd never forget how uneasy that made him feel.

Somehow, sleeping innocently across from him, his Yami didn't look all that frightening or evil anymore. It almost felt natural to have him there.

He mentally slapped himself. It was silly to think that way. He knew what his Yami was capable of when he was awake. And all he cared about was those stupid items.

Very slowly he began to inch little by little off the bed.

What he wasn't aware of, was that his Yami was in fact very much awake, and had been listening to his hikari's rapid, anxious breathing. And he knew it wasn't normal, deep breathing of sleep. He could also feel the boy sliding away.

He suppressed a sigh. The boy just didn't know when to quit. Didn't he know it was hopeless? ~ Then again, he wouldn't be my light otherwise.~

The boy was pretty close to slipping off the bed completely. His heart was pounding in his chest. But the tomb robber had not stirred. He would make it! Excited, he was about to slink away completely - he let out a cry of pain. Someone's hand had shot out and grabbed a handful of his hair yanking him back onto the bed.

He gasped and looked over his shoulder in horror to see Yami Bakura glaring at him. " I've been faking sleep since before your time, boy, and you didn't think I would know you were awake? I was ready for you to make your move."

Bakura made a feeble attempt to free his hair from his Yami's grasp, but his muscles were still like jelly. Those chains had really done their job on him. And the sudden fright he'd just received, made him feel even more miserable and helpless.

" Now if your done playing games, I suggest you lie back down and go to sleep." the Egyptian said coldly. " Don't make me resort to painful measures."

The smaller boy didn't budge. He felt frozen to the spot. He lower lip began to tremble. It wasn't fair...it just wasn't fair! He was so close! Couldn't he EVER win?

Yami Bakura was struggling with his temper. He watched his hikari's shaking form, waiting for his order to be heeded, but he was STILL sitting there , defying him.

He sighed impatiently , and kicked the covers aside angrily. " Must I always do everything for you?!"

With that , he reached over and grabbed the white haired teen around the waist, pulling him back over the edge. Bakura froze.

The boy's eyes had gone wide. He was biting his lower lip. No one had embraced him in any kind of way since his mother and sister had died. His father did at first....

There may have been no tenderness in his Yami's purpose , but it made him remember how his mother would hold him when he was sad, and he'd do the same to Amane.

Sure , his friends were comforting in their own way. When Yugi suspected Bakura was upset, he'd give him a reassuring touch on the shoulder. Jounouchi and Honda weren't exactly the touchie feely emotional types; but they showed it in their own way. Whenever he started to act withdrawn, they'd try to involve him in their games, many of which Bakura suspected were illegal.

But it wasn't the same as physical reassurance and comfort. And that was what he had needed most the past few months.

Yami Bakura noticed tears escaping his hikari's tightly shut eyelids. He was prepared for that. What he wasn't prepared for, was for his hikari to throw both arms around him and begin sobbing freely.

It was the thief's turn to freeze. The boy had his face buried in his chest, and he was clinging to him as if something horrible was going to spring up and drag him away... he wasn't trying to run away anymore. The Yami smirked. This simplified things.

Bakura was a little surprised himself he'd reacted that emotionally. He was afraid to look up at his other. He wasn't sure his Yami wouldn't dump him off the bed for daring to touch him.

To his surprise he felt arms wrap around his body , and covers being drawn over him. The muscles in his shoulders relaxed and he slumped forward against his Yami.

~ He's ...not going to hurt me?~ Bakura thought as his eyes closed. He still felt arms wrapped protectively around his body. ~ Maybe he can learn to be kind...maybe...~

And then he was asleep before he could ponder it much further.

Yami Bakura waited until his hikari's breathing indicated he was really asleep. And it was well for him to sleep: the Battle City Tournament was the next day.

Bakura slept heavily, his body laboring to regain the vital energy that had been zapped by the chains. It was almost a peaceful sleep...almost...

(Sometime during the morning.......)

The young duelist felt himself groggily coming to. But as his sight came into focus, he received a nasty shock. A rope had nearly slipped around his neck , when startled, he jumped away to prevent it.

" What were you doing?!" he demanded , looking fearfully at the Ring dangling from the carefully tied rope in his other's hand.

His other smiled cockily over at him. " What do you think, hikari?"

" You were going to try to control me with the Ring again..." Bakura was angry, but not surprised. " And I thought after last night, you were finally developing a heart."

" How is that?" Yami Bakura asked , amused.

" When I hugged you...you hugged me back." The boy answered softly.

" It distracted you from running away, did it not?" said the thief defensively. But he was troubled about that himself.

~Of course.~ Bakura thought, bitterly. ~ He wouldn't really try to comfort me.~

~ Present Reality - the Real Time~

" No Yami, not again - get it way from me!"

The tomb thief finally stirred from his sleep near the window, when the younger boy cried out in his sleep. He got up and ran over to the bed.

Bakura was thrashing, and he had his hands up lip he was trying to prevent something from being slipped over his head. " NO! Don't touch me!"

~He's having a nightmare?~ the Egyptian wondered.

" Hikari!" Yami Bakura grabbed the boy, and started shaking him.

Bakura's eyes flew open, but when he saw his Yami , he screamed and pushed him back. But that's not what shocked the spirit. What shocked him was that he was sure he saw the shadow of someone else's eyes behind Bakura's frightened hazel ones. There was another presence there. A dark presence.

" What the...?"

(continued…)