Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ Never Sleep Again ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chap 11 -

Note: Malik calls Y.Bakura , Bakura. It just seemed right.

A faint shadow of yellow eyes gleamed from behind hazel ones. They crinkled into a smirk and vanished , leaving Yami Bakura with the feeling that something sinister had passed.

But it was impossible..Bakura was light, just light. He shouldn't be able to sense anything dark from his hikari!

He moved closer to examine Bakura's face, but the boy gave a frightened yelp, and lurched out of the bed. Still being very sick, he wasn't quite steady on his legs. He leaned against the wall for support. Obviously he was still shaken over what he had dreamed.

" Are you awake yet?" the tomb robber demanded impatiently.

Hearing his Yami's voice did nothing to improve Bakura's state of panic after having awoken from such a terrible nightmare. It was still very fresh in his mind , and it was one of his least favorite memories.

" Come here, hikari." Yami Bakura ordered , in what he hoped was a gentler tone.

He had noted his other's strange reaction, and decided that the boy didn't need to be anymore afraid than what he all ready was.

Of course , sometimes it was useful to have Bakura frightened. It made him cooperate. But on many other occasions it backfired. The boy would faint, or freeze up, or worst of all: run away , and there was one incident where he had even chucked the Ring out the window.

" Come here." he repeated a little more firmly than before. " Now. And you don't need to be standing up , you're still sick. Besides, I want to.investigate something."

The boy gave a violent shake of his head in response, and gave a wimper. His eyes were wide, and fearful. He edged further along the wall.

" I'm n-n-never s-sleeping again." came a strained, scared voice. " N- never."

" Don't be stupid!" Yami Bakura snapped angrily. " If you prevent your body from getting rest, you'll die!"

" Then let me die!" the boy whispered, defiantly to his feet.

His snowy strands of hair covered his face, but a tear dropped and hit the floor.

The millennium thief's insides felt as though they'd turned to ice. He hadn't heard Bakura say something like that since he'd been trapped in his favorite card.

~ What's going on with him? I mean sure, he's gotten depressed before, but this..~

The boy wobbled , and his legs looked as though they would give way any moment.

Instinctively , the spirit jumped forward to catch his staggering hikari, but the boy gave a cry and shrank back.

" What's wrong with you?!" the darker half demanded of the light. " You're acting like you're afraid of your own shadow!"

" Don't yell at me please." pleaded the pale haired duelist, looking alarmed.

" What did you dream about that was so terrible?" Yami Bakura asked, now genuinely curious.

" Not a dream...a memory, well a dream of a memory." Bakura shuddered. He looked away from his Yami.

~ I must have been in it.~ the thief realized slowly. ~ He's afraid of me? Is that it?~ He felt a sudden upsurge of guilt. Then he remembered the yellow pair of eyes, and shrugged it off. ~ .I really don't need this right now.~

Yami Bakura grabbed the millennium ring off of the bed post where it was hanging. " I need to enter our soul room to look for something. I can't do that unless you're wearing the ring, so -"

" NO!" ~ He'll use it to control me again!~

Bakura's out burst actually made the millennium spirit jump. The boy dashed out the room. Yami Bakura heard the bathroom door slam and lock.

The Yami stood there , shocked, wide eyed, still holding the ring. Then his temper began to rise.

" What the hell is the matter with him?!" he wondered out loud. " All I wanted to do was go in the soul room, it's not like we've never done that before.."

Bakura turned away from the door and sank down onto the seat of the toilet with his head buried in his hands.

~ I haven't vomited in a while.does that mean I'm getting better? I still really feel awful, I don't know how I was able to run. I wonder what time it is anyway..~

Whenever Yami Bakura was getting ready to do something that his hikari would find less than desirable, he got this taunting smirk on his face. But this time, he'd just looked surprised.

~ Maybe he wasn't going to control me at all.~ the hikari thought doubtfully. ~ Maybe all he wanted to do was sleep in the soul room. I didn't really pay attention to what he said. When I saw him holding the ring I just freaked out, and my hearing zoned out after that.~

Bakura shifted uneasily. He looked up and caught sight of his tired reflection in the mirror. His eyes were red. His hair was lank.

~ It doesn't matter anyway.~ he concluded , miserably. ~ He'll probably be angry at me for disobeying him like that, and beat me up when I come out.~

At that thought of his already aching body being pounded on, he began to shake.

~ Maybe I'll just stay in here for now. ~

Yami Bakura in the meantime, walked over to his Hikari's father's room and picked up the phone to dial Malik.

If there really was something trying to possess his hikari , Malik would have a general idea. After all , he was a hikari himself, however weird the circumstances.

He pressed in the numbers. The phone began to ring on the other end.

Deetly deet! Deetly deet! * cell phone ringing *

A tanned, blonde boy continued to walk down the street, past a few more shops. Domino City was a relatively large place. He'd been observing a motorcyle parked near an arcade, wondering weather or not to jack it.

A gust of wind lifted his shoulder length hair. He answered the phone on the third ring.

" This better be good." he said calmly , still eyeing the motorcycle.

"Don't you answer me like one of you rare hunters , Malik ,you tattooed- !"

" Would that be the thief king's voice? Nice of you to call Bakura." he interrupted blandly.

The 'Thief King's' face turned bright red. He was about to go on a rant about his title not being something to mock , but then he glanced nervously at the bathroom door that was still locked. His hikari had been there a while , and he didn't like him being there alone, especially when he hadn't figured out whose those glowing eyes belonged to.

So he gritted his teeth , and let it go.

" I need your help." he mumbled under his breath.

Malik twisted one finger around his left ear as though cleaning it. " Pardon?"

" I said I need your help!" Yami Bakura snapped, trying hard to control his annoyance level. He knew the blonde baka had heard him the first time.

In truth , he got along with Malik better than anyone , but sometimes he could really tick him off.

~ Must be the fact that he has stupid tomb guard's blood running in his veins.~

" And you more than owe me, so you better not say no, I'll make you regret it!" the Yami threatened.

" Oh calm down, will you." Malik rolled his eyes. " First tell me what you want."

" It's my hikari." Yami Bakura paused, wondering how to explain.

" What about him?"

" Well he's been sick -"

" Bring him to the doctor."

*sweat drop * " I'm not calling for that! He woke up freaked out from this nightmare, and when I looked into his eyes, I saw someone else's!"

Malik frowned. " Did you try entering his soul room?"

" Yes, but he ran off and won't let me anywhere near him!"

The blonde Egyptian wore an exasperated expression. " What have you done to him now?"

" Nothing!" the spirit of the ring said indignantly.

" Ask him if he felt anything.like if there was someone else there." Malik suggested.

"...I can't. He locked himself in the bathroom, and he's not coming out."

Malik sniggered on the other end.

" ..Shut up, Malik! It's not funny." Yami Bakura growled.

" But of course it isn't." Malik answered innocently. " Of course it isn't...you know what? Give me a moment and I'll come over to your place. I'm bored , and things seem allot more interesting where you're at."

"..."

" What?"

" Malik, do you even know where we live?"

" Ano..well..I can find it.I think.."

Yami Bakura sighed and rubbed his temples. He was already wishing this was over.

Those eyes..they were so.evil. And yet he couldn't help feeling that he'd seen them before...

( chapter 11 is comeplete! Dunno if Malik was in character, but you know what? I REALLY enjoyed writing the dialogue between him and Yami Bakura. It was fun. And guess what?! Me getting some Yu-Gi-Oh Subtitles for my birthday! YAAAAAY! I'm ecstatic. I will have them all one day! Buwahahahaha! Malik: You sound like Yami Bakura talking about the millennium items.)