Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ Bakura Has to Choose ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yami Bakura groaned and opened his eyes. He felt Bakura make a similar sound of discomfort. His head was throbbing madly. He was shivering even though the floor beneath him wasn't that cold.

His eyed widened and he jerked up his head. The realization hit him hard. Bakura - could he have seen....?

Penta grinned down at him cruelly. " Yes, tomb robber san, your hikari saw everything."

The thief gritted his teeth, and picked himself off the ground. If Penta had been a halfway reasonable , sane, person he might have been disturbed at how his former companion was glaring at him.

But sense it was pretty obvious the yellow eyed thief had none of these qualities, he only seemed pleased with Yami Bakura's reaction.

Bakura himself stayed silent. Well, even if it was a memory, it was still pretty disturbing to watch his Yami send a former companion to the shadow realm. It shouldn't have surprised him , his Yami had done that before.

Only it seemed that this time, it was his Yami who had been done the wrong. It was not a perspective that Bakura was used to seeing his Yami in, and it felt weird. He had sensed confusion, and anger. But that hadn't gotten to him so much as the fact that his other half felt hurt, and betrayed.

He didn't like Penta. And even though he had admitted to himself he was being naïve, Yami Bakura had still hoped he was wrong about his fellow Kuru Eruna survivor. They were the last of their own. The last in the legacy of infamous thief town.

And most of the anger came from hoping he was wrong. Why should he feel that way? He'd grown up in Kuru Eruna. He knew what kind of people lived there, and what they were capable of, even though some of the ones who died might have been more like himself.

And he knew, what it was like to be sneered at because of his hair color, and to have to scrape a living off of dancing with knives, and occasionally stealing them when he could.

Penta was viewed as different, even scary because of his eye color. Mostly people left him alone. He hadn't had a good reputation even in the tomb robber village.

But he knew what it was like to be different just the same. So shouldn't they have been able to understand, if not accept each other?

He had to win the shadow game. Because to lose would have meant worse than death. That's what this spirit had tried to do his Yami. All for a title and a little bit of power?

Bakura inwardly shuddered.

' He's insane.' he thought. 'Just insane.'

He didn't know what to say to Yami Bakura. And maybe it was better to stay silent.

" It was my choice when and how I would tell my hikari about my past." hissed his Yami, shaking with fury.

" Meaning that you would never have told him." Penta scoffed, disdainfully. " And don't get high and mighty on me: I'm sure you've looked into a few of HIS memories without permission."

Yami Bakura was silent. But surprisingly it was Yami who saved him from having to spend much time feeling ashamed or uncomfortable. He was waking up. And so was Yugi.

Yugi yawned. " Whaaa - are you two still awake talking?"

He was rubbing his eyes sleepily. But Yami noticed that Bakura and his Yami were one again at the moment, and immediately jumped to his feet. Seeing his new dark haired foe, he glared.

" So you are the one who has been intruding in Bakura and his Yami's mind." he said softly.

" Sorry that we have never been introduced, Pharoah Sama, but this cur -" Here Penta pointed at Yami Bakura, all the while putting on a wounded air. " - sent me to shadow realm before I had the chance. And believe me, I would not have failed in taking over your kingdom."

Yugi looked at the thief warily. " Who are you, and what do you want?"

" I want a shadow game with these two." replied Penta, grinning wickedly at Yugi.

" You wanted a shadow game with ME!" shouted Yami Bakura. " Keep my hikari out of this! You've done enough to him!"

~ Yami, maybe I could help.~ Bakura protested.

~ Stay out of this, hikari!~ the thief snapped in response.

" That's really too bad." Penta sneered. " Because he's the one who's going to choose the game we play. After all you chose last time. I think it's only common courtesy to let the boy pick this time."

" I refuse to let you involve him!" the white haired tomb robber raged back.

The room went quiet. Penta's smirk vanished. He was glaring right into Yami Bakura's eyes. " You will involve him, Thief Sama."

He walked over to Malik, picked up the Rod.

" You can't use the Sennen Rod on us!" Yami laughed " No one can use a Sennen item without going insane unless it has chosen them."

" I'm not going to use it the way you think I will, Pharoah."

Penta drew the dagger of the Sennen Rod. He placed the blade at Malik's throat.

" Malik!" Yugi cried, in alarm, as he watched a fine trickle of blood run down the blonde Egyptian's neck.

" It was a warning cut, Bakura tachi." said the black haired thief in a dangerous voice. " If you don't agree to my terms, I'll get rid of your friend the messy way. As you demonstrated to me long ago, you don't need magic to kill efficiently."

~ Yami, just do what he says!~ Bakura begged. ~ My protection is not worth Malik's life!~

" Why won't he wake up?" Yugi asked Yami, almost crying.

" Because this traitor has a spell on him." Yami Bakura supplied the answer dully.

" Make your choice!" Penta snapped impatiently. " I want my revenge!"

~ Yami, please! I ...I'm not afraid to die if I'm with you...~ Bakura said hesitantly.

~ Hikari....~

If Bakura died , he would be alone again. In the Sennen Ring more another millennia. He didn't say this to his hikari, but he feared it would happen. Not so much the imprisonment. He would lose his innocent little light.

He felt like something was stuck in his throat. How could this boy have become so significant to him?

~ Who says we have to lose? I know the perfect way to beat him.~ Bakura sounded very confident. ~ You asked me to trust you. Now you need to trust me, Yami. Please.~

~............~

Yami and Yugi watched as Bakura sharply turned and headed for the stairs. " We know which game we want to play. Give us fifteen minutes to get ready."

He glowered over his shoulder. " But make no mistake, you'll regret it as much as last time."

Yami and Yugi were both glaring at Penta , as the white haired tomb robber disappeared up the stairs.

" You're evil." Yugi growled. " What did you ever have against Bakura kun?"

" The hikari?" The thief answered indifferently. " Nothing, except that he is apart of that fool. And to destroy him, would be destroying the other completely."

He smiled maniacally. " Thief Bakura's spirit will be broken, and his hikari will be dead, just like I was dead!"

" You're twisted." Yami spat."

Upstairs, the Yami and hikari had split off. Bakura opened his closet , and dragged out a trunk. It had duck tape and bolts, and so many locks it was hardly recognizable as a trunk. It was pulled from a panel on the wall that Yami Bakura had never known was there.

" Lock pick please."

Yami Bakura reached into his pocket and handed it to the boy. He was mildly interested to know that his hikari could pick locks.

He lifted an eyebrow. " Mind telling me why you couldn't use a key?"

" Because I threw it away." answered the boy simply, as he began to work on the locks.

The Yami waited for a while , then heaving an exaggerated sigh, pulled out his own lock pick. " I'll help. It'll take forever by yourself. What's in here anyway?"

" You'll see in a moment, Yami."

When the last lock popped open, and the last of the duck tape was ripped away , the trunk opened.

They both peered in at its contents. There was a long silence.

" Hikari, are you sure?" Yami Bakura whispered.

" Hai, Yami, I'm very sure." Bakura said, fiercely.

He lifted out a piece.

" Monster World. The game I never lost. That's how we can beat him."