Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ A Thief's Past/ Seto's Worries ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There was a thud as the white haired thief fell over and onto the floor. Yellow eyes scanned the living room. The two multicolored haired boys behind the couch remained motionless. The smaller one turned, but remained asleep. And of course the blonde would not be moving anytime soon.

The black haired Egyptian smiled , and raised both hands, palms down , over his fellow tomb robber's head. He chanted softly under his breath.

* * * * *

" So tell me again why we can't eat the ones we already have?" Mokuba Kaiba asked his older brother as the driver made a left turn.

" I told you already, I hate that frozen, freezer burnt crap." Kaiba said irritably, as the car pulled up to the pizza palace. " If I have to eat pizza, we're eating one that's been freshly made.

Mokuba rolled his eyes and stepped out of the limo. A light breeze rippled through his dark hair. " Hey , isn't this the part of Domino where Bakura lives?"

" Yeah, and?" asked Kaiba, lifting an eyebrow as they walked through the door.

" Ah , Mr. Kaiba, it'll be ready in a moment! Go ahead and get your fountain drinks." The young lady behind the counter smiled at them both. She was getting used to seeing them. Mokuba always dragged his brother there when he got a pizza craving.

" And ," said Mokuba as Kaiba began filling his drink, and taking a cup for himself, " why don't you admit that you want to visit him?"

" WHA - ahh!" Kaiba cast a swift look around to see if anyone had seen all he coke he'd spilled on the counter.

" Aren't you going to clean that?"

" No , they have workers for that." Kaiba snapped. "Who said I wanted to visit Bakura?"

" Yugi." Mokuba chirped, smiling sweetly.

" What does that baka know?" the CEO scoffed.

" Well I just thought that if you wanted to, maybe since we were in the neighborhood we should go." Mokuba said nonchalantly , then he spotted a video game in the corner, fished some change out of his pocket and made a bee line for it.

Kaiba sighed , and sat down at a table with his drink. He did not want to go visit Bakura. Why should he? He wasn't worried.

A flash back nagged at him: A little boy sat in a desk doing his homework like a normal little boy. Unlike a normal little boy with a leather collar around his neck. Unlike a normal little boy with a whip pointed at his head.

" You thought you'd bought yourself a ticket to easy living. Think again boy, you'll have to earn your right to live under my roof." Gonzaburo Kaiba sneered.

Kaiba shook himself to rid his mind of the memory. He didn't need to be thinking of Gonzaburo now.

But the image of Bakura holding his bloodied arm ...his frightened face.....it still haunted him.

* * * *

He remembered....the village he grew up in had burned. That much was certain. He bore a double crossed scar on one side of his face, because he'd been burned in the process of escaping.

A young boy clenched his fists , as tears escaped his tightly closed eye lids. He threw his head back. " I will never forgive....I WILL NOT FORGET WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! PHAROAH SAMA!"

He'd stumbled out of the ash and dust. Stealing had always been common in thief town. You were expected to steal. Now he really had no choice. He had nothing. He had no one. And he'd have to steal to survive.

Well, he wasn't quite alone. There was another boy who survived. A year older than him. He had black hair, that he always kept in a ponytail. And yellow eyes.

It was strange really. Thief Bakura's only testament to being an Egyptian was his dark eyes. His pale hair color had often resulted in him being scorned at , or shunned. However he was able to entertain many of the other thieves with his knife dancing skills. So after a year he was generally accepted

That was when he was eight years old. He didn't remember his parents. But it was okay, wasn't it? After all, he could survive by entertaining people for a while.( Plus, he was good with weapons. Maybe one day he'd even make daggers!)

On the other hand, his companion, had the right hair color , but a strange eye color. And they were the only two known survivors of Kuru Eruna.

The dark haired boy...who was he? He'd always made the lighter haired one uneasy. There was always something too violent, not quite right about his 'friend.'

His fellow seemed obsessed with the idea that one or the other must be the better thief. They proved this through games, though yellow eyes usually won. He was very gifted in spells, and used them to his advantage.

But today would be different. The pale haired thief called out challengingly. " Today you will yield your title to me."

The boy threw his red cloak to the ground , and pulled out his knife. " We play a real thief's game. The knife game."

" And how are you so sure that this means you'll get my title?" the dark haired one mocked, eyes narrowing.

" Because in knife throwing , and knife dancing, there are no magic tricks." Thief Bakura laughed confidently. " And while you may be a master magician, you're no master thief. That has always been me."

" I am the master thief!" the elder one spat angrily.

" Then beat me in a game without using magic."

A malicious smile crossed the boy's face. " Sounds like you're afraid. I won't use magic - for the most part. But may I make a proposal?"

" I'm not afraid!" the white haired thief scowled. " Name your proposition."

" We'll play your game...but it will be a Yami no Game."

" Yami no Game." Thief Bakura said , looking thoughtful.

He hesitated. He'd been expecting it. He'd never liked this guy, but in the end it came down to this? Still, he was determined. This annoying gnat had used magic to cheat too many times.

" So you finally show yourself for what you are. Be sure it is what you want. I'm playing to win."

The other boy smiled evilly. " Yosh. Let's go."

He did not remember how the game went. There was so much he didn't remember. He just knew that he HAD to win. In a shadow game , only one survived. And he had to survive to take revenge for his village. Unlike his fellow thief, he had a sense of honor, however twisted.

And so , he did win. He remembered the yellow eyed young man's voice scream at him as he was swallowed by the darkness. " There's no way! You must have cheated! What magic did you use?!"

" I'm not claiming I've never cheated. I am a tomb robber after all." Thief Bakura smiled a satisfied smile as he watched his opponent slowly vanish. " But against you in a game of skill , without magic, it would have been like kicking a street orphen."

His expression turned serious. " We never liked one another. But I thought you at least respected me as a rival. No, you would have sacrificed me to the darkness without a second thought. Being the only other surviving thief , I have never tried to harm you. But you have turned on me, so I turn on you."

" Curse you!" the dark haired thief screeched in rage.

The white haired thief continued. " You were too confident, and relied too heavily on your magic. But neither of those were the crime that destroyed you. I knew you would eventually try to destroy me, and go after the pharoah's power on your own."

Yellow eyes widened in shock. " How...how did you..."

Thief Bakura laughed a cynical laugh. " Do you think I never talk to other thieves or criminals? Do you think it's impossible to get information underground?! Yes, I knew you'd betray me, I was ready. I planned the game carefully. No, in the end, your ruthlessness killed you."

His opponent gave a blood curdling scream as he vanished. The shadow realm faded. The victor was standing alone in the desert. He felt empty.

If it had been anyone else, he would be gloating about his victory, but as it was, there was no one to gloat to, and he really was the 'Thief Sama' indeed now.

" You fool, Penta." he said angrily. " You could have took revenge with me for our people, but you threw away your life instead."

He concentrated on his anger. Focus on the pharaoh, focus on getting the items that cost the people of Kuru Eruna their lives. Anger was so much easier to deal with than the other emotions that threatened to consume him.

He smiled bitterly. "Soon it will be time to pay Prince Sama a visit. Ninety nine sacrifices he took to make the Sennen items. And so I will sacrifice him, and his 'respected' priests. Those items belong to me! Kukukukuku!"