Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ An Invitation to a Shadow Game ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chap 17-

Malik found that the day passed by very uneventfully. It was obvious that both Bakuras were still edgy. He wondered if Yugi and his Yami would even show up that night.

He hadn't had much rest either the other night. He eventually fell asleep on the couch, while Yami Bakura was unsuccessfully trying to get his hikari to eat something.

" Yes hikari, you have to." The thief insisted.

" I just can't." Bakura said sullenly, staring at the bowl of soup. " Besides, I might not be fully recovered, and it'll all come back up."

Yami Bakura sighed. The hikari had not been himself all day. He was worried. Understandable. But ever since his and Yami's 'spat' , he hadn't even hardly looked him in the face. He seemed like he wanted to talk at times, but something just seemed to hold him back.

He couldn't leave Bakura that way, but he didn't know how to make things right.

" Hikari, what's really wrong with you?" he demanded, tired of it at last.

The boy was silent.

The tombrobber sighed. The boy was never going to trust him, was he?

" It's just..." Bakura hesitated.

Yami Bakura felt hopeful, as he got a response. " Yeah?"

" When that spirit, whoever he is, was in control of body it felt like I was on fire. My body still hurts. But you've controlled me with the Ring before, and I wasn't even self aware." Bakura continued. " So why -"

" - was it so agonizing? Because he's not your Yami." The Sennen Spirit answered simply. " He doesn't belong, and I do."

" I see." the boy looked at his lap. Then, " Yami , is what you said about Yami Yugi's father..."

Bakura's voice faltered and trailed away under his Yami's resentful stare. " It's as I said it was, hikari."

The brown eyed boy felt very uncomfortable flatly asking like that, but it was eating at him. " I wasn't trying to ... I mean, it's just that I..."

" For heaven sake , hikari!" snapped Yami Bakura. " If you didn't inherit any of my tomb robber instincts I can live with that , but do act like you have sense! Not everyone in that era or this era was or is kind - no matter whose blood line they share."

" I know that." Bakura said, sounding close to tears. Great. The boy was upset again.

The nameless spirits voice echoed back at him / Blame yourself./

He hadn't meant to snap at Bakura. He truly hadn't. But the fact didn't make him feel any better about himself. He wanted to protect his light from his own naivety , but even with the right intentions he ended up hurting him. The thief cursed silently.

"Come on hikari." The Yami said, standing up. " You and I need to get things ready for our guests this evening."

Bakura noted the way Yami Bakura stressed the word 'guests' sarcastically, and prayed there would not be a new fight.

As if on cue , Yami and Yugi walked through the door , hauling their sleeping bags.

" Good , we were just going to get things for you to sleep in." Bakura said happily. " But I guess you thought ahead."

Yami seemed a bit cooled down from earlier, but he still sent Yami Bakura a cold glare as he walked past. Yugi forced a weak smile , and set his bag down next to his Yami's behind the sofa.

The thief noticed that his hikari's own cheerfulness seemed forced.

~ He's afraid, and I don't even know what to do.~ he thought bitterly.

Yami and Yugi figured it was best to leave Malik like he was. The Egyptian was sleeping deeply on the couch.

Yami Bakura , who had never seen a sofa bed before, looked mildly surprised when his hikari knelt down and dragged it out.



" We can sleep here, Yami." Bakura said softly.

/ I still do not trust him./ Yami told Yugi through their mental link.

/ Bakura does. That's good enough for me./ Yugi replied simply. / Maybe he knows something about Yami Bakura we don't./

/Or maybe he is in denial./ the King of Games answered just as simply.

/ Yami...must you be negative?/ Yugi sighed mentally.

/ I suppose I shouldn't. There's enough negativity in this room the crack the air. But I will still be cautious./ Yami said, always serious.



" So...what do we do?" Yugi asked, breaking the silence.

" Nothing to do but wait, I'm afraid." Bakura answered.

" You should wake Malik." Yami suggested. " In case we need the rod to be wielded."

Yami Bakura shook Malik. The blonde didn't budge. The silver haired thief shoved him. No movement. " Come on, Malik , wake up!"

The tomb robber grabbed the rod and knocked Malik on the head with it. "OWWW!"

He turned groggily, blinking up at Yami Bakura. " What was that for, you baka?!"

" You wouldn't get up!"

Malik yawned. " Really? I don't know what's wrong with me. Suddenly I'm so sleepy...." His voice trailed.

The others shared a nervous glance. Malik did , indeed look exhausted.

" We need you awake, Malik." Yami said sternly.

" Give it up, pharaoh, he's about to pass out." said Yami Bakura. " You and your hikari can wake him up if need be...if I don't destroy that spirit myself."

Yami Bakura said the last part so furiously, that Yugi moved behind Yami.

" Well , he won't show his ugly mug unless we sleep." Yami Bakura added, disgusted at the cowardice of that creature. " You and your hikari keep watch."

Malik was already out again, his tan arms wrapped tightly around his rod.

Yugi and Yami crawled into their sleeping bags behind the couch. Bakura and his Yami got into the sofa bed.

Bakura sat , but didn't lie down. Even though he was tired, he was not over his fear of sleep. He pulled a magazine from under the table. After a while, Yami Bakura noticed that the boy wasn't reading, just staring blankly into space.

He pulled himself into sitting position. The shift in the mattress caused Bakura to sway. The thief caught him. /Steady, hikari./

Bakura stiffened in surprise, then slowly relaxed in his Yami's grip.

They had their backs to Yugi and Yami who were peeping from behind the sofa.

/ I thought he was acting different./ said Yugi, as the white haired Yami smoothed his hikari's hair. / See? He does care about Bakura./

/ Maybe, aibou./ Yami agreed, sounding half believing, as he watched the tomb robber lie the boy against the mattress.

Yami Bakura was trying to make Bakura sleep and stop arguing. / You haven't eaten , you haven't rested well at all, you'll get sicker than you were!/

/ But Yami, I don't want.../ protested the boy.

/ You are sleeping. Now./ the thief said, making it clear that the conversation was through.

Bakura rolled onto his stomach, seeking some comfort in the feel of the mattress. But he felt cold , and afraid inside. That thing was coming back for him, it was a matter of time.

He kept trying to remind himself that Yami Yugi, Malik, and Yugi were now there to help. But the whole prospect of just waiting for someone to attack, and hoping you were able to stop them...he gave a slight tremble. What if it claimed him for good?

Yami Bakura watched his hikari, willing him with his mind to relax and sleep. He crawled closer to the boy, allowing him to lean against him. Keeping him close was the only way he could think of protecting him

He allowed himself the faintest trace of a smile when Bakura seemed calmed by his presence.

They both lay there , and soft snores told them that Yugi and Yami had finally nodded off. For a while , Yami Bakura wondered if anything would actually happen. Then he felt it. The air stilled. The very breath in his lungs turned cold.

A sinister energy force was drawing nearer. Bakura began to tremble at his side. The thief pulled the boy to him. He slipped the Ring around his neck. No one was taking his hikari. Bakura was what was left of everything good in him.

" Y-yami?" Bakura stammered, looking at him through groggy eyes. He sounded frightened.

" I...I'm sorry hikari. Just for a while." Yami Bakura whispered.

The Ring glowed , and there was just one white haired boy on the mattress, seemingly Bakura Ryou. Except in another instant, he looked like the tomb robber again.

/Yami?!/ his hikari's voice was now only heard in his own mind.

Yami Bakura could feel the boy pounding on the walls of their soul room, trying to break free, and be himself again.

/ It's the only way to protect you./ the thief said softly.

/ W-what do you mean?/ Bakura asked, his panic ebbing slightly.

/ He's here./ was his Yami's only explanation.

//So you know I'm here?// hissed a familiar voice inside their mind.

" Show yourself." The thief said.

A young man with black hair , and yellow eyes materialized before the joined hikari and Yami. His white pants were torn at the knees. He wore only a green vest over his bare chest. But by his transparency, he was clearly a spirit.

" You won't get to my hikari so easily." Yami Bakura said smugly, sure he had the upper hand in this.

But the black haired entity only smiled. Not a nice smile. // No , you were a step ahead of me on that. However..,//

The spirit moved towards Malik, who lay asleep. // I anticipated you might choose to defend in this way. I could still try to take your little hikari, but that's too much work. Too messy.//

Yami Bakura felt the blood drain from his face as the realization hit him. Malik.

// Shall I just take your young friend, hmm?// the spirit smirked wider than ever, letting a tanned finger lightly brush Malik's head The blonde didn't stir.

" Don't be an idiot!" Yami Bakura laughed, trying to hide his fear. " Are you a fool? He wields the Sennen Rod, he'll know if you try to break into his mind."

The yellow eyed one chuckled.// You truly have forgotten me. I never was any one's fool. The tomb guardian will not wake. I was always more gifted in spells. He's been under mine for a quite a while, I just allowed him to wake long enough so that you would never suspect me.//

He gave his dark ponytail a toss. // Make no mistake, I don't need the Rod to defeat you, though that is tempting.....//

Yami Bakura's lip curled. " You seem very sure of yourself."

// I desire a shadow game with you.// the spirit smiled sweetly. // Just like the old days.//

" And what makes you think I'll accept?!" the tombrobber snarled.

The young man sighed dramatically. // I think it would be pretty obvious, even to someone as dense as you.//

Malik's body glowed a green aura, then he twitched convulsively.

/Malik!/ Yami Bakura heard his hikari cry in the back of his mind. / Yami, he'll seize Malik's body!/

" Leave him alone, coward!" the thief hissed, angrily. " You're business is with me."

The yellow eyes glowed. " Then we will play the game?"

The thief glared at his opponent. He was trapped. If he refused, Malik could get hurt. The only reason the blonde Egyptian was in the predicament was because he'd come to help them. Yami Bakura couldn't ignore that. And Malik had no Yami to guard him.

Still glaring his tomb robber's glare, he answered, " Yes. But first you will tell me who you are, and why you have sought me out."

// You are not setting the conditions, thief sama." The honorary suffix was spat sarcastically. // However...why not? I can't taste the full fruits of my revenge, if you don't even know who destroyed you in the end.//

With a truly manic smile, the spirit chanted something under his breath, his eyes gleaming brighter all the while.

Yami no Bakura and his hikari 's world darkened around them. Then all was black.