Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ The Perfect Team.....Not Really ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chap 16-

Yugi didn't know how to take such a greeting. He had come to see Bakura , knowing that he would likely run into Yami Bakura, but he hadn't been expecting Malik.

" Well don't stand in the door, baka , say something or come in!" Yami Bakura realized what he said, and cringed. Did he actually invite the pharoah's hikari in?

Malik stepped out of the way , allowing Yugi to enter.

Here was the scene: Malik was holding his Rod in his hand when he opened the door. Yami Bakura was on the floor, propped against the couch, looking pale and sweaty. And Bakura was lying on the couch, breathing in a disturbingly halting way , like he'd run a mile.

So maybe Yugi had the right to be a little weirded out by the scene.

Bakura seemed to come to himself He sat up weakly. " Yugi kun? I wasn't expecting you."

" Nearly everyone's been out sick today with a virus." Yugi said. " I brought you your school books."

" Thanks, Yugi." Bakura said gratefully. " Everyone was sick?"

" Nearly everyone." Yugi said. " Anzu was, and Jonouchi tried to stay, but ah...well...he ah ...he kind of threw up all over Chono Sensei's desk...

" Why would he stay if he was sick?" Malik asked, looking bemused.

" Well...please don't mention it if ever you see him," Yugi said quietly. " But he doesn't - like to go to his house at the end of the day. He's not happy at home right now."

Judging by his hikari's sympathetic look, Yami Bakura could tell there was allot more to it than just ' not happy.' But Yugi said nothing else.

-so Honda had to take him home." Yugi continued. "And you know, Kaiba's like you, he never misses. Hanasaki got sick later on in the day. Ribbon was one of the only ones well, and a few others."

" You had a class with Chono Sensei , and you were stuck with Kaiba?" despite the horror that had just passed, Bakura couldn't help smiling. " Maybe it was better to stay home."

" Actually , Kaiba asked about you." Yugi said.

Bakura looked mildly surprised. Yami Bakura raised an eyebrow. Then he remembered Kaiba being concerned about Bakura in one of the memories he'd had witnessed.

" He asked if I knew where you were , or if you ever skipped school." Yugi continued, brow furrowing in polite confusion. " I told him you were probably sick too, and if he wanted to see you , he could bring your books."

" And?" Bakura asked.

" Then he acted all annoyed and cold, you know - he was being Kaiba- and said that with a company to run and a little brother at home, and having a real life , he couldn't afford to go running errands." Yugi rolled his eyes. " I told him I didn't mean it that way, only that if he wanted to visit you, he should walk with me after school. After asking me what made me think he wanted to visit you instead of working on his new game project, I asked him what the project was. He didn't answer and glared at me the rest of the period."

Yugi didn't mention that Kaiba had walked away muttering something like, " Project Annihilation...version 2 of Death-T game." (Ha ha, Kaiba's morbid sense of humor -we hope.)

Bakura and Malik hadn't been around for the Death T games anyway, and it would only lead to a long story. Plus, he was wondering why Bakura and his Yami looked like they'd been hit by a train.

" Did something happened here?"

Yami Bakura scowled, but Yugi noticed his expression soften when he looked at Bakura. He looked concerned.

Malik decided to fill Yugi in. Basically starting from when Yami Bakura had called him.

Yugi didn't interrupt, but his eyes seemed to grow bigger as the tale continued. Then the puzzle glowed, and Yami separated from his hikari, much to the tomb robber's annoyance.

" So you say you knew this spirit, tomb raider?" he demanded.

" Apparently I must." Yami Bakura said, coldly. " At least he appeared to know me."

Just because he had to tolerate Yami , didn't mean he had to be polite to him.

Yami appeared to be thinking. " And he mentioned revenge?"

" Are you deaf?" the thief asked -sweetly. " I believe I said so. Or I could clean your ears for you." He fingered the knife.

Yugi and Bakura exchanged an uncomfortable look. The I-hope-they-don't-start-bickering look. Malik merely looked annoyed.

" Can we help them, Yami?" Yugi asked.

" NANI?! Help the tombrobber!" Yami was incredulous. " THE SOUL SNATCHER?!"

" I never asked the pharaoh baka's help!" Yami Bakura was insulted.

/ I'm worried about Bakura, though./ Yugi said to Yami through their mental link.

/ But aibou!/ the pharaoh protested.

/Please, Yami./

The Sennen Puzzle Spirit glared defiantly for a moment, then quelled under his hikari's puppy eyes. " Fine. But I'm only staying for Bakura's sake."

" Tech." Was the white haired thief's only comment.

/ I think we should accept their help, Yami./ said Bakura through their link.

/ What for?! Malik and I are enough to protect you!/

/ You need protection too, Yami...and besides it's not about that. We don't know what we're facing here./

Yami Bakura glared at the white haired hikari. But after seeing how quickly the boy dropped his gaze, he felt guilty about it. He walked over to his hikari and put a hand on his shoulder.

" It's Bakura's choice whether he wants you in his house or not." he said to Yami in a would be calm voice. " But if you're going to stay, make yourselves useful."

" Well we aren't going to accomplish much by standing around." Malik interrupted, before 'bikering' could begin. " What we know so far, is that someone from Yami Bakura's past could control either him or his hikari at any moment, and kill us."

Everybody gave one another a collective sickened glance. Well, Malik had never sugar coated anything.

" I was able to stop them with the Sennen Rod, but whoever this is will be ready for that next time." The blonde Egyptian sighed. " Do you two remember anyone in Ancient Egypt with yellow eyes?" he asked, the two Yamis.

" My memories of my past are very fragmented." Yami said regretfully. " I don't remember anyone with yellow eyes."

" I had flash backs when he broke into my mind." Yami Bakura admitted softly. " I remember a boy with black hair, tied back. He had yellow eyes."

Bakura looked up at his Yami, concerned. " Who was he, Yami? Why would he want to kill you?"

" I don't know , hikari. I just know I felt very competitive towards him. The last thing I remembered was playing a knife game."

" Wouldn't be the first person you wrong footed in the past." Yami muttered under his breath.

" Wrong footed? Oh I see, like how your father commanded the destruction of my village?" the tombrobber spat.

Both Yugi and Bakura gasped. They stared at the two spirits, clearly hoping they hadn't heard correctly. Only Malik seemed remotely calm.

" It wasn't him, Bakura!" said Yami, dropping the thief's 'Yami' title, and referring to him by his personal name.

" Right."

" It's the truth!" Yami insisted. " I don't remember everything, but neither do you!"

" So I'm supposed to believe that you just conveniently can't tell me who did?" the thief laughed derisively.

" Stop it you two!" Malik snapped. " We can't do this now!"

Yami Bakura glowered at Malik, but Yami was almost in a towering rage as he spun towards Bakura who was still sitting, stunned, on the couch.

" He insinuated you should watch you dreams, right?" Yami demanded.

" H-hai." The pale haired hikari stammered.

" Then that means he'll probably strike at night."

" Possibly." Malik conceded.

" Then you'll see me then. Hopefully, the tomb robber will have come to his senses by then, but in the meantime, I don't have to stay here and listen to him speak blasphemy about my family."

With that said, Yami stormed out.

Yugi gave Bakura an apologetic look, and Yami Bakura a see-what-you've-done -now look, and went after his other.

" Well," said Malik dryly. " That went well."

Bakura felt torn up and confused inside. His Yami's fury at Yami Yugi seemed real, but Yami Yugi's righteous indignation on his father's behalf seemed genuine also. Neither seemed unsure, neither acted like they were playing a part, or withholding some truth.

He felt that he needed to ask questions, but he didn't want to pry into his Yami's past either. The word of the spirit that had seized him less than an hour ago echoed back at him. / Pity...scarred for life, just like your Yami./

Had events in his Yami's childhood been what had torn the Egyptian's mentality apart? Sometimes, even through his Yami's fury, Bakura could feel that the thief was in great pain. It was a pain he understood. And it was also one of the reasons he had found it so hard to just hate the tomb robber.

And if the situation wasn't already bad, his and Yugi's Yami were furious with one another.

They were both so angry. Angry , but so much hurt and sadness lay behind the rage. What really happened three thousand years ago? And how could they possibly work together?

Malik was thinking on the same page. If this was the furthest they could make it as a group, then this spirit thing had already won