Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ Memories of Kuru Eruna ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chap 15 -

" Help - YAMI!" Bakura screamed.

He tried to call out again but his voice became strangled in his throat. He felt another persona melding with him, similar to how Yami Bakura took over, except for the feeling being so totally , totally wrong.

It was like a bunch of things that just did not belong together were being thrown into a blender, like a puzzle piece that was in the wrong box. White hot rods of pain shot through him.

He could only summon the strength to cry helplessly within his own mind. /Yamette! Stop!/

Upstairs...

Malik had just finished pulling on a pair of cargo pants and a black , silk shirt when he heard Bakura shout.

Yami Bakura heard it at the same moment, because his head snapped up. He shared a very brief glance with the blonde teen before they were both running down the stairs.

Halfway down , Malik saw the tomb robber stumble as thought struck by sudden pain. He landed ungracefully on one knee at the base of the stairway, clutching his chest.

" What's wrong?!" the blonde cried, alarmed.

" S-something is ripping apart my insides!" said Yami Bakura through clenched teeth.

The Sennen Rod holder's attention turned from his friend to the source soft , yet slowly increasing in sound, cackle coming from the thief's hikari.

Disturbed by the sound, Yami Bakura cracked open one eye that had been tightly shut. Both eyes widened when they rested on his other.

Bakura's usually warm, brown eyes were replaced by golden yellow , tainted with a smirk. A very un-Bakura like smile of smugness tugged the corners of the boys lips.

He observed both Egyptians with cold amusement, as though they were nothing but mere scarabs, lucky not to be squashed, and stamped out in his presence.

Malik spoke first. " Who are you?" he demanded.

Yellow eyes rested on the blonde, showing a faint trace of interest.

" Another hikari? Didn't think you'd have two, thief sama - yet it is like you to be greedy, no?"

Yami Bakura cringed. The voice was both like and unlike his hikari's. And he was unsettled by it. Then slowly what was said sunk in.

" He's a hikari of another!" snapped the white haired Egyptian, gesturing at Malik who had simply sweat dropped. " And how is it that you address me so familiarly?"

'Bakura' simply smiled mockingly, which ticked Yami no Bakura off even more.

" How'd he know I was a hikari?" Malik whispered.

The Yami shot him an agitated glance. If Malik , who had the pharoah's memory engraved on his back didn't know, how would he know?

" It's pretty obvious you are not Ryou Bakura." Yami Bakura growled. " What have you done to him?"

" There's no need to be upset- he's still here." the smirk was now a manic grin of glee. " Perhaps you wish to see him?"

As if on cue, the yellow glow dimmed in Bakura's eyes. The brown barely showed through. His hikari's face was now twisted in pain.

" Y-yami." he croaked " Yami be careful...he..."

Then Bakura was shut off. The spirit was back, looking absurdly pleased with himself , as though he'd just shared this hilarious joke. " Weak fool. He was so easy to snare."

Yami Bakura had seen enough - and had enough. He launched himself at the spirit, murder in his eyes.

Malik grabbed him and held him back.

" LET ME GO MALIK!" the white haired Yami roared. " I WILL KILL HIM!"

" You're not thinking straight right now." the blonde hissed, holding him tighter still. " You were cringing in pain a moment ago, and you're still in pain - how will you fight? And besides, do you want to hurt your hikari? He's still in that body!"

Yami Bakura gave a gasp as Malik's words sunk in and he realized what he'd nearly done. He stopped struggling. No, he didn't want to hurt his hikari. His days of hurting Bakura were over.

The yellow eyed entity merely gazed at him calmly, waiting , DARING, for him to try something.

" He hasn't told us everything we want to know yet." Malik continued in an almost inaudible tone. " I don't think he's seen the Sennen Rod yet, so stay in front of me."

Malik made as though he was helping to support the tomb robber, to keep him standing. It kept the rod out of sight. To the blonde Egyptian, this was important ... for some reason.

Probably because he plotting something, and didn't need the yellow eyed oni to know how and when he'd use it. At least that's what Yami Bakura assumed. He'd have to trust Malik's instincts.

" What to you mean he was 'easy to snare'?" Malik's violet eyes narrowed. " And how did you know I was a hikari?"

Yellow eyes seemed bored. " You question too much. Too have all the answers shortens the game." A faint smile. " And I'm in no hurry, I want to savor this."

Yami Bakura yanked out his knife. He knew he couldn't use it, but he hoped it would frighten this new foe. "Answer him!"

The spirit laughed. " You're the same as ever. Very well. Actually , I have you thank, much to my distaste."

He looked half amused half disgusted, if that's possible.

" I was not as lucky as you. I have no hikari. So I am - was- at a great disadvantage. A link between hikari and yami is as strong as a chain...however if there's a damaged link..."he grinned, horribly deforming Bakura's usually handsome face. " Because of the type of spirit I am, I can grow stronger by feeding off of certain people. Simple really. My target must simply supply me with a diet of strong negetive emotions."

Malik's eyes widened in recognition. " Sadness. Fear. Doubt. Rage. Guilt."

Yellows Eyes cast Malik an appraising look. " Exactly."

" So you were what, born of Bakura's negetive emotions?" Yami Bakura asked, also catching on.

" Like my Yami." Malik whispered.

" That would have happened." came the smug answer. " That side of Bakura would have eventually consumed him if he did not have a strong heart. He fought it. I know this. I have watched you both, longer than you know.....waiting for a chance. Seeing as he didn't want this negetive energy, I simply disposed of it for him...like the sweet , helpful person I am - and became stronger. Strong enough to cut through your bond. The first step of my revenge."

" So you weren't born of Bakura's emotions, you simply merged with them." Malik guessed.

" Masaka!" cried Yami Bakura. " Why have you taken his body? What would you gain from it if your feud was with me?!"

The spirits eyes were closed. He had an evil grin. Yami Bakura was beginning to dislike it.

" So you developed feelings for the boy? Perfect!" merciless laughter burst from 'Bakura's' mouth. " Too perfect! Just know this: if he's in pain, blame yourself! I had planned to make him suffer anyway, just for being connected to you, but you're total dismissal of his existence, your mental abuse, is what made the ties so easy to break.If you had attempted to guide him in any way at all, this may never have been so effortless. My thanks."

Malik watched his friend silently staring at the floor. He seemed unable to speak.

" Snap out of it. He's doing it to shake you."

" But it's true." Yami Bakura whispered. " And if everything else he's implying is true, then it's my fault this happened."

The Sennen Spirits voice shook. The strange spirit seemed unblushingly pleased by the fact that he'd managed to rattle him.

~ Snap out of it tomb thief, we don't need you weakening now!~ Malik thought fiercely.

For a moment the white haired Yami seemed unable to speak. Then coldly, " Is that all you came hear to say?"

The Spirit frowned. " You remember less than I expected. I expected you might not remember who I am. Do you even remember Kuru Eruna?"

The yellows eyes glowed brightly and into the Yami's seeming to pierce his soul.

A fiery scene flashed through Yami Bakura's mind. Smoke and ash. Hard to breath. Scrambling to get through the death maze of rubble and inferno as the tortured screams of the dying echoed around him. Malicious laugher of...of....the pharoah's men? Then searing pain on his right cheek. A burn. Then one of the exits that had been blocked had collapsed.

Yes , the thief town, Kuru Eruna. He remembered bits, but he could place the fragments. Still, what did that have to do with - he fell to his knees clutching his head.

Two boys sat on the sand playing Sennet. Bakura would have called it a board game. Played with sticks and not dice. Using colored pieces for pawns. Hyroglyphics held a different meaning on each panel on the board.

One boy's white hair covered his eyes. " Your move."

The other boy, dark hair falling in three strands across his forehead, grinned confidently. " I will move and I will win." his golden eyes glimmered, as he gave a shake of his head, short pony tail flopping.

The rest was blurry. Then - " You land on the water hyroglyphic. You drown, and you lose. I am still thief sama."

The white haired youth cursed, and kicked at the sand bitterly.

Then the scene came to focus on two older boys. Almost teenagers.

" The outcome will change today." the white haired one sneered " Today we play a real tomb robber's game - "

Cold steel glistened. " - knife throwing game."

Yami Bakura was on the floor twitching convulsively. It was too much. The pain from being severed from his hikari, the overload of the things forgotten and retrieved.

Malik was past alarmed. It was time to do something.

" Enough!" he whipped out the Sennen Rod. " This will end here!"

For the first time , the unknown spirit looked afraid. " Sennen Rod?!" he cried in disbelief.

The force out the rod's power connected with Bakura's head. The spirit let out a startled cry as he was forced from the body.

Yami Bakura stopped twitching on the floor , and lay still, breathing hard.

Bakura's eyes turned brown again. He let out a moan, and slumped face down onto the floor.

An Egyptian curse was heard in their minds. / The link was not completely cut....but no matter. You have not destroyed me, Sennen Rod Hikari. I can control either of them at anytime I choose to return. I am weakened only momentarily./

To Bakura and his Yami. /For now, pleasant dreams./

The laughter echoed and faded away into nothingness, leaving an unnatural quiet behind.

" Hikari!" Yami Bakura got up and ran to his hikari's side.

Bakura weakly open his eyes. " Yami, gomen."

" No hikari, I am sorry." whispered the Kuru Eruna survivor.

The hikari blinked in confusion as his Yami lifted him, and laid him on the sofa with his remaining strength before he himself collapsed against the side of the couch.

" Yami!"

" He's okay...um Hikari Bakura." Malik said awkwardly. " Tech! You are both Bakura, how will I name you guys?"

" Call me Yami Bakura, or thief Bakura...that's who I was anyway." Yami Bakura said hollowly.

Bakura clasped his Yami's hand. He didn't understand what had passed between his Yami and the other spirit, but he knew it was horrible for him.

To Malik's surprise, he did not reject the boy's comfort.

They all jumped when there was tapping on the door.

Malik walked over and opened it. To his shock, there stood tricolered haired boy, holding a bundle of school books. Helooked even more surprised to see Malik.

" Malik kun?" he said wonderingly, his violet eyes questioning.

" Yugi." Malik breathed.

Malik and Yugi were no longer enemies after battle city. But they were still not one hundred percent comfortable with one another yet.

Yami Bakura on the other hand, not in the mood to cover any old feelings groaned.

" First this , and now the pharoah's hikari is on our doorstep! Why do I know it can only mean bad news?"