Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Light That Never Goes Out ❯ The Unamed Spirit ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Malik leaned over and peered curiously at the sleeping boy. " So this is your hikari?"

" You've seen him once, remember?" Yami Bakura asked, impatiently. " At the Battle City Tournament."

"Only briefly." Malik said, toying with his rod. " And besides," he added sullenly, " can you blame me if I don't have a clear memory of the little details with all the other madness going on?"

Yami Bakura couldn't argue with that. Things had gotten rather out of control in the end, (even though Malik and Y.Bakura did their fair share of causing madness themselves)and that was saying something coming from his opinion.

" Now. What exactly did you summon me here for, Bakura?"

" Well you remember what I said about the other entity I sensed within him, right?" the thief asked. " Well, it was evil: that simple. And if there is anything my hikari isn't, it's that. No matter what kind of nightmares he's been having."

" He's been having nightmares?" Malik raised his eye brows. " That might be helpful."

" HELPFUL?" Yami Bakura demanded, staring at Malik as though he were mad.

" Dreams, nightmares or not, often explain what is unclear to us, or foretell what is to come." Malik said, reminding the Sennen spirit forcibly of his sister Isis. " Did your other , ah - hikari Bakura - happen to tell you anything about the dream?"

" I couldn't get him to talk about it." Yami Bakura admitted , glancing down at his hikari, who looked slightly more peaceful, though there was still a hint of a tense line in his mouth.

" He may dream again, but even so, my knowledge only stretches so far. That is more of Isis's area of expertise than mine." Malik said with a dismissive wave.

" We shouldn't have to do that." Yami Bakura said in a tight voice. He wanted to spare his hikari further trauma if possible. " I called you for a reason - your Sennen Rod. It can control minds , right? Can you see into minds at all?"

Malik appeared to be thinking hard. Finally he said, " Not to the extent that the Sennen Eye could. I could, when I was controlling other people's minds, put information from my mind into theirs, but to actually draw stuff out of their mind...well if took some consent at the very least."

Yami Bakura glanced down at his hikari wondering how the boy would take it. The reason he hadn't been able to enter the soul rooms and see what was lurking there himself had been because Bakura was frightened of falling under the Sennen Ring's influence again. How would he react to the idea of having yet another Sennen Item used on him?

" We could try it while he's sleeping and his mind is at peace." Malik suggested.

" No!" the tomb robber said so sharply that Malik was taken aback. " He hasn't...he doesn't need to be upset even more. I'll wake him and ask him."

Malik grinned slyly. " You asking permission for something - this I must be around to see."

" You ARE around, you blonde fool." Yami Bakura snapped, just for the sake of the last word. He gently began to nudge his hikari. " Wake up, hikari."

Bakura mumbled something, and snuggled closer to his Yami. He locked his arms around the offending prodding hand.

A long trickle of exasperated sweat( you know, the anime kind,) appeared on the white haired Egyptian's head.

" He seems to have grown more attached to you since last time." Malik commented, smirking.

The thief glared at the blonde 'baka.'

Actually, Malik couldn't help feel a twinge of envy. The thief Bakura , even at his very worst , protected his hikari. Malik's had murdered his father, tried to murder Rishid, and ultimately wanted to destroy what he saw as his 'weaker personality,' meaning he was less than a person to his own Yami.

Not that he wasn't happy nonetheless for the pale haired hikari. After all, who deserved to go through what he had endured at such a young age? Still, that didn't mean he couldn't enjoy taunting the tomb robber. Plus it was so amusing when he got flustered and mad.

" Hikari!" the Yami repeated, shaking him more urgently. " Aibou!"

At the word 'aibou', Bakura snapped awake. ~ He actually called me aibou?!~

~I knew that would wake him. Sentimental hikari.~ Yami Bakura thought scornfully, yet affectionately.

Bakura jumped away when he realized he was curled around Yami Bakura's arm. He groggily rubbed his eyes. They came to focus on a tanned boy with blonde hair.

" Am I awake?" Bakura asked , uncertain.

" Of course!" said his irritated Yami.

" Yami, why is there an Egyptian in wet clothes in the living room?"

Malik chuckled at that comment despite himself.

Bakura's eyes came to rest on the rod in Malik's hand - a Sennen Item!?

" It's okay, hikari." his Yami reassured him, seeing Bakura's apprehension. " This is Malik. Remember BattleCity?"

" Vaguely." Bakura said a little sadly. " Is he your friend?"

" Hai." Malik said with a friendly grin before the spirit could answer.

The Yami shrank away. What was it with hikaris and their disgustingly cute, annoyingly CHEERFUL , grins? The pharoah's hikari did it too. Malik did it when he needed to, like when he needed to trick people, and that was fine, but he did it at other times too, and it was downright disturbing.

And to make it worse, Bakura seemed to trust Malik's friendliness, and grinned his own grin back. " I'll get you something dry to wear - Malik was it? I don't want you getting sick like me, though I think I'm a little better."

" No you won't!" Yami Bakura snapped. ~ Let the baka drip dry!~

Then he took into consideration that Bakura wouldn't like it if he tried to be rude to their 'guest.' So he had to try to be 'nice' for the boy's sake.

" I'll get it." he muttered " You need to stay still."

He tromped up the stairs sulking the whole way.

" At least you have manners." Malik said to Bakura. " Are you sure you're descended from him?"

The brown eyed hikari laughed ruefully. He had wondered that many times himself. He and his Yami had only began a few hours ago to have some sort of a stable relationship. He had hoped he and Yami Bakura would have more time to talk alone, but he'd woken up and found a visitor.

He'd have almost felt annoyed, if he hadn't decided that Malik was probably a nice guy.

"The Sennen Ring was a gift from my father. But you have an item too. How'd you get yours?" Bakura asked curiously.

Malik's friendly demeanor faded and became bitter almost to a point of anguish. He seemed to gaze off far away for a moment.

" G-gomen nasai." the white haired boy said awkwardly, and flushing. " I should have known better - I wasn't comfortable talking about mine either."

The blonde Egyptian smiled. " I guess you of all people would understand, eh? But you're right: I'm not quite comfortable speaking of my past."

Malik gazed up towards the stairs. " That idiot tomb raider should have brought my clothes by now. Do you mind - ?"

The boy motioned towards the stairs with his head.

" No, you can go up. My room's on the right."

Then Bakura was left alone with his thoughts. ~I didn't mean to remind him of something bad.~ he thought contritely. ~ It seems as though Malik has suffered too. I really don't blame him if he doesn't want to talk about it.~

Then something else occurred to him. ~ But why is he even here? If my Yami has had visitors before I've never known about it. ~

The boy's stomach clenched. ~ Something's is going on. Why hasn't Yami told me what it is? I really hope he's not hiding something from me.~

/ An arguable suspicion. Can you really trust him? Heh heh./

" Yah!" Bakura jumped.

/ Oh don't make a scene over it. After all you should be used to having little voices in your head, no?/

" Who are you?" Bakura whispered, not quite ready to believe he wasn't going insane. " What do you want?"

The voice he heard - was it a voice or a random thought? No, a voice for sure. A deep, mischievious voice, tainted with malice. But he couldn't just hear it in the tone, he could feel it.

The person was obviously after something, so the rage was banked fire for now. But it was still terrifying to feel.

He heard a low, humorless laugh in reply. / I want revenge. Three thousand years ago your dear Yami took something that should have been mine, you see. I want it back, and you will help me./

"Nani?! Matte...are you a spirit too?" Bakura realized.

This situation reminded him of the first time he'd heard Yami Bakura's voice after touching the Sennen Puzzle.

/...hmm. Maybe you are the sharper of the two. In which case it would be more of an advantage to snatch your Yami ...but you were so much easier to lock into. Such easy prey./

" What do you mean?" Bakura asked , alarmed at the hidden purpose behind those words. " What do you want with me?"

/ You will help me take revenge on your Yami. Surely you would jump at this chance- after all he's done to you, you must hate him./ the voice intoned persuasively.

" I don't hate him." Bakura said softly, not liking how this spirit was trying to play with his mind.

/ Kuh! Don't give me that. Of course you hate him, who couldn't after how he's tortured you? Perhaps you say this because you are afraid of him?/ the voice suggested seductively. / Rest easy at that, he'll blame it on me anyway./

" I don't hate my Yami."

/ Then I take it back, you are the stupid one./

" He'd kind to me now." the boy said.

/ For how long?/ the voice was scornful. / Until you're well enough to be of use to him again?/

Slowly it dawned on Bakura that he had plenty to be suspicious about THIS spirit , if even more than his own Yami.

" Wait," he said angrily. " How do you even know all this?"

/ Like I'd forget,/ the voice scoffed. / I knew your Yami, I know what he's like - but I think you were beginning to need reminding , so I gave your mind a little...push./

" YOU made that nightmare resurface!" Bakura accused, furious.

/ Yes, I found out quite a few interesting things about how he's treated you while searching your mind. Poor thing, scarred for life just like your Yami. Pity./ the voice taunted, with a suggestion of a sneer. / Are you so sure we don't have a common goal? Don't you want to make him pay for playing with your life?/

" You mean like what you're doing?" Bakura snapped, undaunted.

He couldn't help wonder about what the spirit meant about his Yami being scarred for life. What had happened in his Yami's past.

" I won't help you hurt him!" the white haired boy said.

/ I don't recall telling you that you had a say in the matter./

To his horror, Bakura felt a tremor run through his body, and suddenly he was unable to control his movements. He managed to scream before it paralysed his voice.

"Help - YAMI!!!"